Stray Fawn Community

Tribe of the Stars

SharrdWolf

Two nichelings wash up on an island. They found a new settlement with the help of some wanderers. Some are born there, some die there. A new nicheling is born in a little corner of the island. Far, but not too far from the main settlement.

I try to post an update frequently.

Fanart

Fanart of Mouse by Tigerlily_On_Niche

• Like 2

“Achoo!” A tiny newborn nicheling sneezed. Her fur was a grayish brown, and she had the crooked jaw of her parents. Her pale pink horns curved around her face. Her tail was a modest length, reaching around the middle of her back. She squirmed a bit, until she felt something furry. She leaned in, and it was warm. She didn’t know why, but she began feeling around for teats with her two nimble hands. She found one, and began suckling, while mewing every now and then.

“Mouse.” Her ears barely picked that up. As she pricked up her ears in curiosity,  she could hear a soft chuckle. 

~two days later~

Mouse opened her eyes. Just barely. She could see many blurry figures. The blurry figures emanated both happiness and greif. The greif was worrying, so she decided to focus on the happiness. “She’s beautiful.” Something ran through her fur, and the voice of that something was croaky. Quite croaky. 

“The first baby born under my rule!” Another voice. This one wasn’t croaky. This one was energetic. It was deep, and energetic. The owner of the voice put his snout so close to Mouse, she could feel his breath blowing over her fur. She reached out to touch it, and as she poked around, she noticed it was crooked. It wasn’t even.

She then touched her own snout. It wasn’t even either. She squealed, and then reached out to touch the something that had run through her fur. It was furry and soft. She poked around a bit, and was quite startled when she felt something not-soft. She poked the not-soft parts, and poked the end. It was sharp. Claws. 

Mouse suckled some more milk, then contentedly fell asleep.

• Like 1

I actually kinda freaked out when I first saw her, because only one of my nichelings had nimble fingers before her birth, because of that, I had put nimble fingers into both parents’ mutations. And then Mouse got double nimbke fingers! :DD

Mouse tried to crawl out of the nest, but when she was halfway there, she heard a snap. A paw pushed her back into the nest. “You must allow her to walk.” This voice was also croaky, but much more lively. “Otherwise, she cannot grow.” 

Mouse heard a puff, and she heard another voice, which was scolding the one who puffed, probably. The one that had said “Mouse”. The voice nudged her with a fluffy paw. Mouse took a feeble step out of the nest, and grasped some of the ground. It was powdery and grainy. It flowed through her hands when she tried to hold it. She stumbled out of the nest, and stepped around. The weird flowy-thing was everywhere! It was also really hard to walk on, and Mouse collapsed, landing head-first. She was too exhausted to pick herself up, and fell asleep.

Mouse awoke in the sweet embrace of her nest. She opened her eyes, and was surprised at what she could see. Instead of seeing blurry figures, she saw vivid images of things around her. The one who she figured was her mother was a dark and rusty ginger all over. Her horns curved around her face like Mouse’s, and were a light gray. Her mother’s eyes were the color of the sky, and Mouse liked to stare into them.

It started to rain. Mouse enjoyed the soothing sound of the rain, and made a happy chirp. Her mother pointed to the grass around the nest. “That is grass.” She pointed to another thing- the rain. “That is the rain. It waters the grass.”

Intrigued, Mouse squealed a couple times. She extended one of her hands to catch the rain. Mouse stared at the raindrops, dazzled by the relaxing sounds and the coldness of the drops. “Wain. Wain. Wain?” She chirped in frustration, then got hungry. She drank some milk, and sat there like that for a long time.

It was sunset, and the rain was fading. Mouse caught some more raindrops on her palm. “Rain.” A nicheling with muddy brown circles around his eyes dashed over, returning from collecting berries. “She said her first word.” He had a muddy brown patch on his upper chest, and muddy brown feet. He was more of a peachy brown everywhere else. Mahogany spines sprouted from his back.

An orange nicheling with gray spines and a spit-snout beamed, while a black nicheling with a stinging tail and a shorter and even snout simply smiled. A pink nicheling that was notably fluffy came over to Mouse and booped her nose. 

Confused, she booped his nose back. I felt remarkably like the nose she had poked back when her vision was still blurry. She laughed and squealed, and booped the pink nicheling’s nose a few more times.

The black nicheling, the brown nicheling, the orange nicheling, and her mother taught her some more language in the peaceful days that went by. 

One morning, Mouse was playing with her mother’s necklace. “Come on. I have something to show you.” Her mother walked away from the nest. “Come on.”

Mouse stepped into the grasses to follow her mother. “What is it?”

Her mother chortled. “You’ll see.” She continued walking. She stopped at a berry bush surrounded by tall grass. A nicheling that was brown all over and had a necklace with black stones stepped out of the grasses. 

“The princess.” The nicheling said. “Hello, Tako.”

“Hello, Anasiel. It is time for her to recieve her necklace.” Tako said.

“Of course. I had it ready before her birth.” Anasiel smiled. She reached into her pouch made of hide, and pulled out a necklace. The necklace had pale blue stones, and Anasiel put the necklace on Mouse.

“Wow. It’s pretty.” Mouse grasped one of the stones with her hand. She stared at it. It reminded her of the rain, which reminded her of the water. She was taller now, maybe she could play in the water a bit?

3 hours ago, Tigerlily_On_Niche said:

Maybe tonight....

but anyway, this is YOUR playthrough? anything you want to talk about?

Hmm

not really, if there’s something you wanna chat about we can chat about it

• 1 month later...