Stray Fawn Community

Teachers failing to teach genetics

Mulan the Cat

My teacher said that amphibians and/or reptiles are invertebrates. 

Don't know what this has to do with niche, but... it was very painful because my classmates believed the teacher and we were 11 at the time. 

And, to make that worse, that was the only genetic stuff we were taught that year. 

AND it wasn't just a slip of the tongue! THE TEACHER WROTE IT DOWN AND KEPT IT UP FOR THE REST OF THE YEAR! 

I'm so sorry teachers, I love you! But somebody had to make this post, okay?

I'd like to petition for extra info about nichelings. Such as if they are mammals, give birth to live young, are vertebrates, are warm-blooded etc. Also if there could be fancy words like 'diurnal' or 'adaptable' or... I don't know. Ooooooo... perhaps more info about other creatures as well? Hold on... I'm making a features request.

• Like 4
  • Paw up 2

Vertebrates are just animals with vertebrae (backbones). Even though there is "bone" in "backbone", the vertebrae doesn't have to be made out of bone, it can also be made out of cartilage. A lot of fish have cartilagious backbones, and they are considered vertebrates. 

• Paw up 2

• 1 month later...

My school is a private (Christian) school so we have pretty good teaching 😎 we haven't covered genetics yet (at least during the years I've been here, 6th-9th grade) but I did have to choose a scientist and do an essay on them in 7th grade and chose Gregor Mendel (the first geneticist) (if anyone would like to see that essay I can show it lol)

• Like 3
  • Eek! 2

On 12/26/2020 at 7:26 PM, Sky said:

My school is a private (Christian) school so we have pretty good teaching 😎 we haven't covered genetics yet (at least during the years I've been here, 6th-9th grade) but I did have to choose a scientist and do an essay on them in 7th grade and chose Gregor Mendel (the first geneticist) (if anyone would like to see that essay I can show it lol)

I remember Gregor Mendel, we saw about him and his pea plants some years ago. My school is also private (unfortunately not Christian) and we have seen genetics, but only some basic concepts of it. Sadly science classes ended on 9th grade as they where changed to physics.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 12/26/2020 at 8:26 PM, Sky said:

I would be interested in seeing that essay :)

• Paw up 1

• 8 months later...