Stray Fawn Community

What do you think is a Mary Sue?

Impy10

I think a Mary Sue could be defined as a character that doesn't follow the rules of the universe(s) they're in without any reason/a character that doesn't have any real flaws.

• Like 2
  • Paw up 1

I think PincerClaw hit it on the head. They bend the laws of the universe and all the other characters kinda just orbit them. They're also kinda annoying because most of the stuff they do isn't what real people would do. They just feel fake and it's like the author is trying to make you pity them.

One point I want to make is that I think girls get this label a lot more than guys, mainly because it was made for female characters. I think this is because those characteristics we use to identify sues, like kind, compassionate, and friendly, are terms that are thought of as "default female stuff". But when a guy acts this way it's seen as outside the "default" because men are supposed to be strong and not as emotional. One male character who comes to mind when I think of this is Aang from Avatar. 

(Also cool topic idea)

• Like 4

A character that is "perfect" as in has no flaws or weaknesses and way too many powers. Some people try to dodge the mary sue title by making their characters have a tragic backstory or giving them limitations like "can fly but only for 10 minutes at a time" but the character is still overpowered and boring, unless it's given an interesting consept and/or personality.

• Like 2

I like the definition OSP gave

It's basically a character where the entire narrative focuses on them. The character is the centre of their own universe, "the axis around which the narrative spins". The only purpose of the story is to make the character look good. The story serves the character, not the other way around

• Like 3

Oh and the character isn't really affected by anything that happens to them. Their parents died in front of them when they were a kid? They're still a generally happy and friendly person with no mental issues. The owner might even say that the character is depressed or something, but it's never actually shown in the story.

• Like 3