Stray Fawn Community

Writing Group Thread

Applesauce

I'm severely shy around people I like but don't know well which makes it hard to connect with people, so I made this because I notice a lot of people on here like writing and I just got back into writing so I thought it be a good way to get myself talking.

You can bring up characters, plots, ideas, examples... basically whatever you're proud of or what you think needs work and people can help you. 

Only two rules are:

- No unnecessary self-criticism. Like replace "I could never come up with a believable character!" With "My characters need some work but I'll get there. Any tips?"

- And make it digestible. You people write like beast and can crank out walls of text like nothing. I'm sure it's great but if you do that you will give my dyslexic brain a headache. Instead of a whole chapter, give a summary and a small sample of your style. Thank you

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Imperial officer said:

I’m doing an animation series but I have a great problem, I can’t think of names to my characters. For years most of them hadn’t had names because I don’t know how to name them, do you have a recommendation on how to name characters?

I heard that when naming characters, you should try to make all the names different. So avoid having a Jane, a Joe, a John. These are all short, all start with the letter J, and all sound very similar.

Another thing I think you should keep in mind is pick names with meaning. For example, I recently watched a movie where a man struggles with masculinity. His last name was Mann. See what they did there? He was also the hero of the story and his first name was David, who my teacher said is actually a greek hero. So try to pick names that mean something to you. Other times I just wait for the right name to turn up.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Applesauce said:

I heard that when naming characters, you should try to make all the names different. So avoid having a Jane, a Joe, a John. These are all short, all start with the letter J, and all sound very similar.

Another thing I think you should keep in mind is pick names with meaning. For example, I recently watched a movie where a man struggles with masculinity. His last name was Mann. See what they did there? He was also the hero of the story and his first name was David, who my teacher said is actually a greek hero. So try to pick names that mean something to you. Other times I just wait for the right name to turn up.

Pffft, you actually use normal names? (/s alert) Why do that when you can just translate and mix and match words from english to a different language using, the most greatest and accurate of translation tools, google translate! /s For example, Sorsorbitbitio here is based off of the latin word for "soup" which is "sorbitio", which is a subtle nod to how he drinks soup!! /s

• Haha 3

What happens if my characters are mostly non human species. (It is a Star Wars-like thing) so I want names that aren’t very “human” 

This is an example of the characters, there you can see my “soviets” from the Stalindog rp. (Yes I added them). How would I name these guys and the “fishies”.

• Love 3

Well, not naming exactly these guys on the video as they had a small nuclear reactor incident. (Chernobyl reference) They where trying to operate the antimatter reactor and a very small incident happened. (Don’t worry they survived but are now trapped in another dimension)

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Applesauce said:

I should say that I'm terrible at following this advice. Finding the symbolic meaning behind each name is hard.

I have one character who traps herself in a cage of self-hatred, and google says her name means "songbird". So for a songbird to sing it's best, it has to fly free so she has to find a way to escape that cage. I'm glad it suits her cause I've been thinking of her as this name for so long.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Imperial officer said:

And you guys, what are you working on?

I'm working on a side story where a case of vampirism takes over a high school marching band. It was inspired by What We do in the Shadows and my own splendid experience as a band kid. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Here is a template of soldiers of this group and their armored vehicles.

836000F5-EE94-469E-B314-467DB2EBD078.thumb.png.90a3ad86bff4baff840f91e4258d786d.png

How could I name this type of characters that do not have much character development? (In my series there are no main characters so most of them have few development as they do not appear on most episodes. Only the old ones have some kind of long development (and most of those already have a basic name))

• Love 2

3 minutes ago, Imperial officer said:

And you guys, what are you working on?

Not much, sadly. I've tried delving into fanfiction but I can't exactly find a good show/movie/book to write about, and even if I did I probably wouldn't have enough time to watch it. Writing prompts seem cool tho ngl might make a random story surrounding those lol

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, PincerClaw420 said:

Not much, sadly. I've tried delving into fanfiction but I can't exactly find a good show/movie/book to write about, and even if I did I probably wouldn't have enough time to watch it. Writing prompts seem cool tho ngl might make a random story surrounding those lol

That also happened to me. I also didn’t found a good thing to work on so I decided to create my own story and that’s what I’ve been working on.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sample from a short story-

Then I looked down to the area I woke up in. Scattered in the white were chunks of what appeared to be burnt mental. The snow around them was displaced and they stretched out in a wide vicinity. I couldn’t make out anything. The most prominent piece was a large metal tombstone sticking straight out of the ground. It was talk and a little daunting, standing so close to the spot where I’d slept. Clearing this mess used to be something, but what? 

Then I saw it, the cockpit, my one and only clue. It was half crushed, but mosting intact, and behind it was a trail of disrupted snow. One of the wings was also still intact, so that big metal tombstone thing must have been the other wing. Was I in a plane crash?

I thought about it, but didn't linker for long. I went to go check the cockpit.

Feel free to make suggestions 

• Love 3

37 minutes ago, Applesauce said:

Sample from a short story-

Then I looked down to the area I woke up in. Scattered in the white were chunks of what appeared to be burnt mental. The snow around them was displaced and they stretched out in a wide vicinity. I couldn’t make out anything. The most prominent piece was a large metal tombstone sticking straight out of the ground. It was talk and a little daunting, standing so close to the spot where I’d slept. Clearing this mess used to be something, but what? 

Then I saw it, the cockpit, my one and only clue. It was half crushed, but mosting intact, and behind it was a trail of disrupted snow. One of the wings was also still intact, so that big metal tombstone thing must have been the other wing. Was I in a plane crash?

I thought about it, but didn't linker for long. I went to go check the cockpit.

Feel free to make suggestions 

Cool story! It reminds me a bit of a story I had to do for a school bonus assignment; where I had to invent a sequel to a movie and I invented one of WALL-E.

Wall-E 2

Wall-E and EVE walked away from the spaceship in which they had landed, they arrived back on Earth. Wall-E was happy to have returned to his home and planet, but he was even happier that he was with EVE, they had saved Earth by finding the plant and brought humans back to help restore the planet. The humans decided to ask Wall-E how to restore the planet since he had worked there for many years. They organized a plan on how to clean the planet, first they will clean the environment around the spaceship and then continue farther and farther until they had cleaned everywhere. But there was a large problem, humans had grown so fat that it was very difficult for them to walk and even more difficult for them to help clean the planet. 

This problem implied that the robots had to do most of the work for now, but also most of the robots where not designed for picking up, recycling and dealing with trash. These problems made Wall-E and EVE very sad; they went to a place nearby and they planted the seedling on a place that they thought that was correct. In that moment EVE had an idea: to repair and reactivate the other Wall-E robots that where left in some parts of the environment. They told the idea to the other robots and the humans; they worked together and reactivated the old robots and adapted all the ship’s robots so that they could help. 

One day Wall-E was helping clean the trash and found something that was very surprising: he saw a small patch of grass growing near a dirty pond. He quickly told everyone, and they decided to send expeditions on research ships to search for more plants around the planet. Then they could grow the plants on greenhouses stablished on the main ship. This plan would make cleaning easier as the plants will help break down the trash and clean the dirty atmosphere. 

During a search mission on a distant continent, a research ship had disappeared. The ship was searching for plants and didn’t came back, they tried to contact the vessel, but no one answered. Then the humans sent a drone to search for the ship, but it also never came back. Wall-E, EVE, and the captain where worried that something or someone else was also on this planet and that it could place the mission on danger. 

Meanwhile, the area around the main ship had been cleared out and the first seeds where being planted near some artificial canals. The humans and robots worked together, the humans took care of the seeds and plants on the greenhouses and then the robots took them to where they could continue growing. Slowly, humans where able to do more tasks as they accustomed to the gravity of Earth.

Wall-E, EVE, and the others decided to send a second research ship to distant continent. But this time the ship the ship will fly miles higher and take precise photos of the surface, so maybe the lost vehicles could be found. As the ship flew closet to the continent, everyone was watching the images they sent back in order to see if anything was suspicious. At first the view was like anywhere else: trash and dirty soil. But then strange objects appeared, they looked like buildings of a strange space colony; suddenly they saw some ships take off from the base, they looked like flying saucers of alien movies. The UFOs flew closer to the research ship, so they told the ship to scape. The UFOs began to chase the spaceship as it fled, the aliens where faster and began to come closer. They were flying over the ocean between the 2 continents, this worried Wall-E and EVE since the aliens could find the human settlement. The UFOs began to shoot lasers at the ship.

EVE and Wall-E could now see the UFOs coming closer and they could now see them from the windows of the command center. The research ship did a crash landing near the canals, the UFOs began to shoot everywhere. Everyone was scared and running everywhere, the robots and humans tried to hide in ships or on the trash mountains. The aliens landed in front of the main ship; Wall-E and EVE saw the aliens walking out of their UFOs and into their ship. The aliens talked a strange language, but Wall-E remembered it from an old video that he had saved; the aliens had learned to speak the ancient human language. He understood that aliens where telling them to leave their continent, so Wall-E made a pact with them: humans and robots will not come back to the alien continent, and the aliens would do the same.

Everyone was happy at Wall-E because he had helped humans again. Many decades later, the Earth was clean and full of vegetation. Aliens had left because they could not breathe the clean oxygen, everyone agreed that this time they will take care of the environment. EVE and Wall-E saw that their seedling was now the largest tree of the city; they contemplated the repaired Earth, where nature, humans, and robots coexisted peacefully.

• Love 1