Stray Fawn Community

Night time feature

Night

So, I just saw a comment in a video of Stray Fawn Studio and it made me have this idea. Predators and many other things move around in the night, and the nichelings move in the day, but it could make a great feature to make the game more realistic. 

First thing: The day counter could have another one next to it, except that it could pass and count the nights, this could be added as well to the win conditions as number of nights survived. The night button could be locked at day, and the day button could be locked at night so we aren't confused in which one we should choose to pass time. 

Now, not every nicheling could move at night but those who can will still have 3 energy points but it could have to decide to waste the energy in night or day. And well, what nichelings can move at night? 

Purr snout: I'd give +1 ability to move at night(Energy point but you can use it at night) +1 sight at night

Bat head: +2 ability to move a night +2 sight at night

2 bat wings = +1 

(New Gene) Big eyes: This could give a nicheling extra sight at night +3 and in the day= 3 sight as well. The side effect of this could be -1 smelling ability

Those are the genes that are necessary for a nicheling to move at night. 

But if u think moving at night could be a great advantage, well you're not entirely right, predators can move depending on their moving ability and each 2 turns of a night nicheling could give the predators and other night creatures moving turn. This could either save your tribe, or kill it. 

You could entirely ignore the feature by having ur night time creatures move by day and by skipping the night

I've finally had time to post something oof, I hope it's good. 

• Like 4

6 replies to this post

I think it is a cool suggestion, but it may be too hard to implement as the developers would need to redo many core mechanics of the game. (day/night cycle, predator programming, etc). Maybe add the possibility of more Nichelings to move at night? Maybe if any Nicheling still has 3 energy points at the end of the day it can do 1 move at night? (So that they aren’t killed by predators so easily)

But still upvote!

• Like 2

So does having a night feature look like this? I have as many turns in a day according to the amount of nichelings I have, as per normal. When I hit the space bar, instead of officially ending the day, it turns to night. My nichelings who've spent their energy during the day are now in a sleeping pose, restoring their energy. The ones with energy left over may move around during the night. This is where special features such as night vision come into play. So when I hit the button to have my nicheling use his vision, hexagons from farther away light up, and I can now see a stagmole I couldn't see during the day with him. When I use up all of my nichelings remaining points, I hit the spacebar again. The day has officially ended. It's the start of a new day. My nichelings that I had used yester-day are now awake and at 3 points. But the nichelings I had used in the night are now sleeping. Does this sound like what you'd hope to implement?

• Like 1
  • Paw up 1