Stray Fawn Community

Art Critique

Katumai

I've been drawing a lot of digital art lately (my art block lasted like a month, ow) and it's definitely improved since when I used to do it-but I can't really tell what I could improve from here besides general stuff, so I wanna know what other people think

Untitled398_20210103133915.png

Untitled396_20210102233136.png

Untitled388_20201231003732.png

Untitled395_20210102162053.png

Untitled244_20210103124740.png

Untitled384.thumb.png.9b4bc8b4c1021870178cc0e1852bd73e.png

• Eek! 1
  • Love 5

3 hours ago, Katumai said:

I've been drawing a lot of digital art lately (my art block lasted like a month, ow) and it's definitely improved since when I used to do it-but I can't really tell what I could improve from here besides general stuff, so I wanna know what other people think

Untitled398_20210103133915.png

Untitled396_20210102233136.png

Untitled388_20201231003732.png

Untitled395_20210102162053.png

Untitled244_20210103124740.png

Untitled384.thumb.png.9b4bc8b4c1021870178cc0e1852bd73e.png

hmmm... NOTHING TO CRITISIZE! Maybe you could try pixel art, it's basically impossible to get better than this. (unless you consider some artstyles better than others)

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm no professional and I don't really learn so well. So, this is my opinion.

By general stuff I'm going to assume you mean: Shading; Coloring in line art; Correcting line art.

Honestly your work is already far above mine. Your art style isn't similar to mine so what I would classify as 'mistakes' aren't mistakes in your style.

• The eyes are a lot longer than I would make mine cause mine tends to be circles and triangles.
  • I enjoy making shading on the ground when I add BG that are actual places and not just abstract BG cause I don't want it to look like my charters are stickers or just floating in their surroundings. I mess up a lot on this at times.
  • Although the moon and stars look cool and I love it in your art but if the moon was actually that close to the earth it would be covered in water (I think) But then again your drawings, much like mine aren't placed in the real world (At least I assume they aren't) Point: Think about where you place your characters and why.
  • The first one looks cool. In my opinion I do feel their body is a bit long (unless that was intended) and at that angle it looks like they're just going to flip over and land on their back.
  • I can't give you any tips on colors. If anything I should be asking you for tips cause I still struggle with colors no matter how much I drill color theory into my brain. And so far all your colors look good to me.
Edited by FawnCat
Just fixed some typos, hopefully I got them all.
  • Like 2

I think your art is good, but same as Fawncat maybe it’s just that your style is very different from mine. 

• It’s probably because of your style that all of them have 1 eye, right?

• I can’t comment on shading as I don’t do it. (I should probably begin to practice it)

• Yep, I also see the eyes as too long, mines are oval-shaped.

But that’s just my opinion, also it’s worth noting that I don’t draw cats so I base my critique comparing to nichelings.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, A Nicheling said:

I think your art is good, but same as Fawncat maybe it’s just that your style is very different from mine. 

• It’s probably because of your style that all of them have 1 eye, right?

• I can’t comment on shading as I don’t do it. (I should probably begin to practice it)

• Yep, I also see the eyes as too long, mines are oval-shaped.

But that’s just my opinion, also it’s worth noting that I don’t draw cats so I base my critique comparing to nichelings.

I've only drawn one eye for a long time, mostly because it very rarely ever looks good on my art (maybe it will in the future, who knows) but i only do the other eye if its a front view

I only just started trying to shade myself-its harder than it looks 

Im notoriously horrible at drawing anything small, which is probably why the eyes are long-I'll try to keep that in mind

• Like 2
  • Paw up 1

On 1/12/2021 at 7:19 AM, Katumai said:

I've only drawn one eye for a long time, mostly because it very rarely ever looks good on my art (maybe it will in the future, who knows) but i only do the other eye if its a front view

if the problem is that the other eye doesn't match, your art program will probably have the tools to let you copy and paste the eye later and flip it then move it to the right place (as well as resize it and such if needed)!

• Paw up 1