Stray Fawn Community

Tinkering on a Niche Prototype thingy once again

Philo

Hey folks 

As it often is the case when I have a longer vacation, I started prototyping a small Niche-related game ^^
So far, all you can do selecting your little 'Nichelings' and tell them were to go.
If you place them next to bushes, they automatically start collecting and continue to do when you leave them there (automating tasks is one the points I want to try out with this prototype).
You can also approach an animal of the opposite sex and mate with it. And after setting the pregnant female in the nest and waiting for a but, a baby is born. No genetics yet 😮
I'll be tinkering some more with this and let you know :D

image.thumb.png.d0dbfe83f0f688e395f7682e6bc90821.png

• Like 7
  • Eek! 7
  • Love 9

This feels almost like a fun little sequel. If you get it to a point where you're comfortable sharing it, I'd love to try it out even with the current level of polish it has. The graphics, while low poly, look cute and I love the way it seems kinda freeroam (even though I'm a lover of hexagons)

• Like 4
  • Paw up 1

I have a small question: is niche mobile still in development? Or is it a lost cause? In my opinion, it's a bit silly working on a third niche game when the second game isn't fully complete yet. But I'm also just a rando on the internet who doesn't know anything about game development, so who am I to know. :,D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chicken-duck-woman-thing said:

This feels almost like a fun little sequel. If you get it to a point where you're comfortable sharing it, I'd love to try it out even with the current level of polish it has. The graphics, while low poly, look cute and I love the way it seems kinda freeroam (even though I'm a lover of hexagons)

hmm...

4 hours ago, Philo said:

Hey folks 

As it often is the case when I have a longer vacation, I started prototyping a small Niche-related game ^^
So far, all you can do selecting your little 'Nichelings' and tell them were to go.
If you place them next to bushes, they automatically start collecting and continue to do when you leave them there (automating tasks is one the points I want to try out with this prototype).
You can also approach an animal of the opposite sex and mate with it. And after setting the pregnant female in the nest and waiting for a but, a baby is born. No genetics yet 😮
I'll be tinkering some more with this and let you know :D

image.thumb.png.d0dbfe83f0f688e395f7682e6bc90821.png

maybe you could keep the artstyle like this, maybe a little different, but it doesn't really need any change. 

• Like 1
  • Paw up 1

55 minutes ago, alex602h said:

I have a small question: is niche mobile still in development? Or is it a lost cause? In my opinion, it's a bit silly working on a third niche game when the second game isn't fully complete yet. But I'm also just a rando on the internet who doesn't know anything about game development, so who am I to know. :,D

mobile is an actual game that will have updates and real-money-purchases and such. this is just a little project Philo has for fun that she can do whatever she wants with

• Paw up 2

@alex602h Yes Niche mobile is still in development :)
We'll have a focus week next week and will potentially be in touch to ask for feedback!
However I'm not the programmer of the game so I can't really go ahead and just try new things out with it.
This is just me doing stuff I like in my free time ^^

• Like 4
  • Paw up 2

16 hours ago, Chicken-duck-woman-thing said:

(even though I'm a lover of hexagons)

this sentence

Since Niche became my favourite game, hexagons have also become one of my favourite shapes. They make me happy. 

• Haha 3
  • Eek! 1

Bit of progress from yesterday's night promgramming session xD
- Adam and Eve are back!
- Worked some more on the breeding system
- Added age levels (no more breeding with the babies, yay)
- Added some more UI info

Also they had SO MANY DAUGHTERS! I already thought it was a bug, until the little prince was born ❤️

926258528_ScreenShot2021-01-18at23_42_15.thumb.png.ca4e86b98c91de48b6b2c80708f1f473.png

• Like 5
  • Eek! 2
  • Love 9

I like the idea, hunger is an interesting idea, but if they store food (like the other nichelings) then yes, it probably won’t be as useful.

Is health/age like on Niche, do they die of old age or of damage? (Eve had age 26 on a picture, also I love that they have longer lifespans.)

• Like 1

@A Nicheling
Yeah health and age currently work like in the normal Niche. But who knows for how long ;)
Take all of this with a a grain of salt :)
In this prototype 1 time unit is only a few second, so their lives might not be longer at all xD
But none of this is even close to being balanced, so it's just random numbers for now.
About hunger: Yeah, I'm not sure yet if I should just go with the classic "we are sharing all our food globaly" mechanic, or if an individual feeding and food transportation mechanic would be fun...Have to try it out ^^

• Like 5
  • Paw up 2
  • Love 1

16 minutes ago, Philo said:

About hunger: Yeah, I'm not sure yet if I should just go with the classic "we are sharing all our food globaly" mechanic, or if an individual feeding and food transportation mechanic would be fun...Have to try it out ^^

you should play around and try new things!

• Like 2
  • Paw up 1

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of progress today: 
- Baby animals now inherit their parents' fur color
- Baby animals now grow into children, then adults
- Added a "stockpile" for food. Nichelings can gather food and place it there.

1352995869_ScreenShot2021-01-31at00_43_50.thumb.png.b3e185e5bcf2cf1b666fd6330c9eacb7.png

• Like 2
  • Eek! 9
  • Love 5

Some more progress!
- Speed and sight radius are now gene-based
- Some bug fixing
- Added a predator that just stands around and blocks the way
- You can fight the predator
- When dying Nichelings spawn bones, predators spawn flesh that can be collected815389537_ScreenShot2021-01-31at17_49_32.thumb.png.02f93201deede84906c745268b326ecb.png

• Eek! 10
  • Love 3

I mean, I can try but I'm honestly not a good programmer at all xD
It's enough to make prototypes like this, but not sure if that is the best ressource to learn from!
I use Unity (free version) to make the prototypes and there are hundreds of tutorials out there on Youtube etc.
But maybe it would be fun to hop in a DIscord channel and do a screenshare at some point xD

• Like 2
  • Eek! 4
  • Paw up 1

3 hours ago, Philo said:

I mean, I can try but I'm honestly not a good programmer at all xD
It's enough to make prototypes like this, but not sure if that is the best ressource to learn from!
I use Unity (free version) to make the prototypes and there are hundreds of tutorials out there on Youtube etc.
But maybe it would be fun to hop in a DIscord channel and do a screenshare at some point xD

If you ever did a screenshare, I'd definitely join.

• Like 4