Stray Fawn Community

Tinkering on a Niche Prototype thingy once again

Philo

That is very kind of you @Kira.APK, thanks :)
However Unity and Gamemaker don't really work together.
And this project is mostly for myself to experiment and get better with coding.
But you can totally start your own project and share it in the forums too :D

• Like 4

I have a WIP Niche-like breeding simulator on Scratch ;) So far it just has 2 creatures with randomizable colorations (no patterns yet) with a WIP kid. I took a long break because I forgot abut it but now I'm having a break to figure out the species itself before I get too far in that I can't change things :)

• Like 2
  • Eek! 1
  • Paw up 1
  • Love 2

On 1/30/2021 at 6:45 PM, Philo said:

A bit of progress today: 
- Baby animals now inherit their parents' fur color
- Baby animals now grow into children, then adults
- Added a "stockpile" for food. Nichelings can gather food and place it there.

1352995869_ScreenShot2021-01-31at00_43_50.thumb.png.b3e185e5bcf2cf1b666fd6330c9eacb7.png

3 things:

RaINbOW nICheLINGS!

why is there a random 8 above the nest?

Why does the number 10 look squished? (on the berry bushes, that look about to burst, or they have GIANT BERRY'S and shriveled berry's.)

• Like 3

The random 8 is the amount of food on the foodpile (which is totally not recognizable yet)
Haha, well it's all just super quick placeholder art that only I need to understand (for now).
The text is squished because it's a 3d mesh text, which I would probably need to rotate a bit more toward the camera, but I don't care enough yet xD

Progress from yesterday and today:
- Huge code clean-up
- Lots of bugs I can't fix, need to ask Micha for help (see that's how good I'm with programming xD)
- Rabbil hunting :D

• Love 12

• 2 weeks later...

FInally got to keep programming a bit ^^
- Rabbils now roam around, search for food and eat grass (and run away from predators of course)
- Baby/Child Nichelings now follow their moms around
- There is now a multiselect function
- And all the bugs have been fixed :D (with Micha's help)

Please excuse the bad frame rate, my laptop isch an ancient potato.

• Love 11

A bit of progress :)
- Particle effects! (they help so much to understand what is happening in the game and to find bugs)
- Nichelings can now finally eat. If their hunger is low and they carry food, they eat it.  And babies drink milk from their moms!

Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 12.31.05.png

• Eek! 3
  • Love 7

Added some basic behaviour for the Bearyena.
If it's hungry, it looks for food. In this case meat on the ground that can be picked up.
If it runs into a Nicheling or Rabbil it will try to turn them into meat too.
It can carry some meat around with it and consume it when hungry.
The rest of the time it roams around.

• Eek! 5
  • Love 4

FInished the basic Bearyena behaviour, did some improvement to the controls and... added canibalism 😮903361459_ScreenShot2021-02-23at09_08_29.thumb.png.98162abe27afecdc38a3aa57ae207537.png

This feature has been requested many times now and I always thought it was too creepy to add, but it also happens in nature so I thought I'd give it a try. Nichelings now spawn "Nicheling meat" when they die. I'm thinking about adding a mechanic that the meat does not spawn, or maybe just less meat spawns, when the creature was very young, very old or died of hunger.
Normal Nichelings can not pick up Nicheling meat. But I added a new head gene the that gives you +1 canibalism and gives you the ability to collect it. Spooky.

Now I'm wondering what this head gene should be called/look like? 
I read about canibalistic animals a bit. Seems like rabbits, hamsters, polar bears, some apes, many insects and fish are canibals.

• Like 3
  • Eek! 9
  • Love 1

Ooo, maybe like a Praying Mantis?
I first thought I'd take a vulture or hyena because they are easily associated with scavenging, but they aren't too exemplary for canibalism I think...

• Like 2
  • Paw up 3
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, Philo said:

FInished the basic Bearyena behaviour, did some improvement to the controls and... added canibalism 😮903361459_ScreenShot2021-02-23at09_08_29.thumb.png.98162abe27afecdc38a3aa57ae207537.png

This feature has been requested many times now and I always thought it was too creepy to add, but it also happens in nature so I thought I'd give it a try. Nichelings now spawn "Nicheling meat" when they die. I'm thinking about adding a mechanic that the meat does not spawn, or maybe just less meat spawns, when the creature was very young, very old or died of hunger.
Normal Nichelings can not pick up Nicheling meat. But I added a new head gene the that gives you +1 canibalism and gives you the ability to collect it. Spooky.

Now I'm wondering what this head gene should be called/look like? 
I read about canibalistic animals a bit. Seems like rabbits, hamsters, polar bears, some apes, many insects and fish are canibals.

I dont know how I feel about this lol

• Philo pinned this topic

Currently they are just decoration, but sure we could add that:D
Should they have any special mechanics?
I'm currently trying to write some AI for the wild Nichelings that can spawn now and it's hard xD

• Eek! 4

5 minutes ago, Philo said:

I'm currently trying to write some AI for the wild Nichelings that can spawn now and it's hard xD

Maybe it poisons the nicheling while collecting food like the poison berries?

• Paw up 5

13 minutes ago, Philo said:

Well mushrooms that are red and have white spots has hallucinogenic properties but I don't think you can put that in the game. Impy's idea of poison is a good one. Unless you're going to add things like herbivore, carnivore and omnivore. Then the mushroom would be a food staple for some.

From what I've seen my sibling does it seems like a lot of work and testing to get the AI to work so good luck.😆

• Like 1
  • Love 1