Stray Fawn Community

Tinkering on a Niche Prototype thingy once again

Philo

Finally finished reworking the AI 😂
Now we can spawn wild Nichelings to invite into the tribe.
Wild Nichelings, Bearyenas and Rabbils now have a basic artifical intelligence.
Also came accross this funny bug:
SurpriseBabies.gif.ea0654591e5f676671816395f6af9b0d.gif

• Haha 11

2 hours ago, Philo said:

OOF! More complexity more bugs. It is funny! Are those nichelings it spawned the two ones?

• Like 1

Nope, that is just the original model from the pack I downloaded xD
(Everything is currently placeholder graphics so sometimes it makes more sense to just buy some assets to play around with)

• Paw up 3

Checked out this thread on a whim and had a random idea I knew I had to toy with.

In my eyes, hunting is where the design of the original, hex-grid-based game really shines. Each creature has a recognizable movement pattern that players have to learn to exploit to survive. Simple mechanics lead to complex dynamics and an unexpected depth of strategy.

So the big question that came to mind when checking out this prototype was: how on Earth would this translate to a gridless, real-time environment?

The random idea that came to mind was some sort of suspicion/alertness system for prey, akin to Breath of the Wild. As you move or stand in the open, prey will grow increasingly alert until they panic and run. You're left with the option of either sneaking up on them, or tag teaming with multiple predators. Here's a hacky demo I cobbled together to try this idea out. https://cfdemos.itch.io/huntdemo

Figured I'd share just for funsies 🙂 Impromptu prototyping is the best

• Like 3
  • Paw up 2

Very cool, thanks @CFG!
I'll definetly refer to this when working the hunting mechanics :)
I will also take a look at how Cattails implemented huntig.
It would be fun that if the prey depends on its smelling, you would need to pay attention to the direction of the wind. Or if it depends on hearing, different terrain might cause a varying amount of sound when you step on it.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, CFG said:

Checked out this thread on a whim and had a random idea I knew I had to toy with.

In my eyes, hunting is where the design of the original, hex-grid-based game really shines. Each creature has a recognizable movement pattern that players have to learn to exploit to survive. Simple mechanics lead to complex dynamics and an unexpected depth of strategy.

So the big question that came to mind when checking out this prototype was: how on Earth would this translate to a gridless, real-time environment?

The random idea that came to mind was some sort of suspicion/alertness system for prey, akin to Breath of the Wild. As you move or stand in the open, prey will grow increasingly alert until they panic and run. You're left with the option of either sneaking up on them, or tag teaming with multiple predators. Here's a hacky demo I cobbled together to try this idea out. https://cfdemos.itch.io/huntdemo

That's very cool! I played it and through a combo of sneaking up using grass and using both preds got all the bunnies!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/18/2021 at 11:17 AM, Philo said:

Very cool, thanks @CFG!
I'll definetly refer to this when working the hunting mechanics :)
I will also take a look at how Cattails implemented huntig.
It would be fun that if the prey depends on its smelling, you would need to pay attention to the direction of the wind. Or if it depends on hearing, different terrain might cause a varying amount of sound when you step on it.

Maybe you could have different types if prey for each sense!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2021 at 11:08 AM, CFG said:

Maybe you could add rabbit holes, which you can't go into but the rabbits can if you are chasing them.

• Like 3

On 3/14/2021 at 4:30 PM, Philo said:

so could you explain what should happen in that scenario?

that way we'll understand what the bug is.

it created 2 extra placeholder sprites though

@Zixvir
Yeah it somehow spawned 3 babies (2 placeholders) instead of 1 and Eve was catapulted off the screen xD

Didn't have much time to work on the game lately, will let you know when I get around to it again!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Philo said:

@Zixvir
Yeah it somehow spawned 3 babies (2 placeholders) instead of 1 and Eve was catapulted off the screen xD

Didn't have much time to work on the game lately, will let you know when I get around to it again!

well it seems like it was triggered twice.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey folks
I just had my first real vacation this year and of course I worked on the prototype a bit xD
- added pause mode
- added basic version of day and night cycle 
- added UI list with all pack members you can click on to jump to their location
- added basic random spawning objects on the map

• Eek! 5

1 hour ago, Philo said:

Hey folks
I just had my first real vacation this year and of course I worked on the prototype a bit xD
- added pause mode
- added UI list with all pack members you can click on to jump to their location

wait

what if it wasn't nicheling based?

maybe a simalar system would work in nyoma.

On 8/28/2021 at 9:08 AM, Philo said:

Hey folks
- added pause mode

(Can you give us some screenshots/videos?)

8 hours ago, Philo said:

Had  some time during the weekend :D
So I added poison berry bushes and mushrooms.
And worked a bit on the map generation aka how objects are placed on the map.

Screenshot 2021-09-05 at 12.27.31.png

Do poison berries work the same way they do in regular niche i.e. those who collect them get poisoned. Or are they brought back to the food pile?? and then whoever eats them does?