Stray Fawn Community

Make short snout better

MT26 - A Nicheling

I think the short snout should have its own ability because all of the other snouts have them. They deserve some love too!

Short Snout lives matter

Here are some ideas:

Idea 1

+2 smelling

+1 attractiveness

Idea 2

+2 smelling

+ 1 collecting 

Idea 3

+ 2 smelling

+ 1 scentless 

• Paw up 1

25 replies to this post

It should be something simple and basic... Not a specialized trait... Like how medium body boosts most basic stats and medium tail gives cold resistance.

How about camoflauge? Since the snout is small and won't stand out from the environment like colorful a beak or a long nose would? Maybe it would only work when paired up with biome camoflauge? So it's not a huge advantage on it's own, but can help out when combined with the right fur color

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sky said:

In conclusion: Short Snout is "default." It isn't supposed to have a special ability. It's that gene you put in the mutation menu because you hate Bat Head because it's ugly and creepy and needs to be exterminated when you don't have a better snout for it. And it's good for challenges, like the AHVHC 2 I'm making--It doesn't have a special ability which makes it harder to survive.

I get whatm you're saying, but medium body is actually medium, runners leg is surprisingly useful and short snout is completedly useless and mutating it is equal to mutating short sighted eyes

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sky said:

Short Snout is the "basic" gene. It doesn't have special abilities because it's the "default". 

Yes, but the derp snout is supposed to be the "worst one" yet it is more useful. So why give a more recessive snout less abilities. 

Then what is the point of rogues having derp snout if it isn't the worst one.

Just now, Chicken-duck-woman-thing said:

I get whatm you're saying, but medium body is actually medium, runners leg is surprisingly useful and short snout is completedly useless and mutating it is equal to mutating short sighted eyes

Yes, short snout needs to be better.

2 hours ago, Chicken-duck-woman-thing said:

Okay, if short snout should be better: The suggested stats don't make sense. Why would it make the nicheling scentless, or help them collect fruit, or be more attractive? It'd be better if we thought of some similar short-muzzled animals and took inspiration from them.

Sorry I'm being so argumentative, I have a very strong opinion on this topic lol

• Like 2

Also here's a quote by Boston on the original suggestion, which is a better explanation of what I was trying to say:

On 12/2/2018 at 3:12 PM, bostonlobstah said:

I think it should stay the way it is. I don’t imagine it being more attractive than say big nose just because it’s rarer. And it’s not going to be as good a collector as bird beak. The point of short snout is to be a ‘default,’ so it’s not supposed to be super desirable anyways.

I do think that short snout should be a bit less rare than it is currently, however. Being ‘default’ and one of the most dominant, it shouldn’t be so rare.

Just look at that adorable face, why don’t you want them to be useful?

BB214602-0E86-4741-A706-1ADB3895A011.jpeg.f2add633897a5da14567ce5b55015516.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Sky said:

Okay, if short snout should be better: The suggested stats don't make sense. Why would it make the nicheling scentless, or help them collect fruit, or be more attractive? It'd be better if we thought of some similar short-muzzled animals and took inspiration from them.

Sorry I'm being so argumentative, I have a very strong opinion on this topic lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Sky said:

Also here's a quote by Boston on the original suggestion, which is a better explanation of what I was trying to say:

Oooooo, I have a great idea!!

Maybe they can collect from cactuses safely, as their snout is small so maybe it helps them??

That is a unique ability!!

So it will be

+2 smelling

+1 cactus collecting

6 minutes ago, A Nicheling said:

Oooooo, I have a great idea!!

Maybe they can collect from cactuses safely, as their snout is small so maybe it helps them??

That is a unique ability!!

So it will be

+2 smelling

+1 cactus collecting

I think that would be better for the numerous camel suggestions. They have tough tongues that can pick out the prickly fruits.

Besides, it wouldn't really help. Their snouts are too short; their face would get poked trying to pluck out the fruit. (That's why camels can get them, because their tongue reaches beyond their face far enough that it can safely pluck the fruit.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Sky said:

I think that would be better for the numerous camel suggestions. They have tough tongues that can pick out the prickly fruits.

Besides, it wouldn't really help. Their snouts are too short; their face would get poked trying to pluck out the fruit. 

To be completely honest, Niche wont get any major updates anytime soon so it’s better to use current content.

(Like when they made derp snout give distasteful appearance)

• Like 2

like what sparklepop and sky said, short snout is the basic snout gene. 

short snout is also super ugly so it pretty much useless

sorry but i have to downvote.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Sparklepop said:

Short snout is supposed to be the basic snout gene, so I think it's intentional that it's the weakest one.

47 minutes ago, Polly said:

like what sparklepop and sky said, short snout is the basic snout gene. 

short snout is also super ugly so it pretty much useless

sorry but i have to downvote.

But what would be the evolutionary purpose for an useless gene?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lilytuft said:

But what would be the evolutionary purpose for an useless gene?

Short snout is not useless. It is just the most 'basic'. It still gets +2 smelling, so there is an evolutionary/gameplay purpose for it.

• Like 1

(Yeah, and what's the "evolutionary purpose" for blind eyes and hemophilia? Some genes are better than others and some are out-right harmful. Though, short snout isn't useless as some have pointed out, just basic. And in my opinion, it does look cute on certain nichelings which counts for something. Though, a gene that lets creatures eat cactus without getting damage is needed in the game in my opinion so if adding it to short snout accomplishes that I'm happy about it)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sky said:

Short Snout is the "basic" gene. It doesn't have special abilities because it's the "default". 

Even Derp Snout has a special ability. There has to be a "default" gene that isn't very special-- like runner's paw (it gives a little extra speed, but that's not very useful in the early days with only a couple nichelings and only being able to walk as far as you can see), or medium body (not great for the cold, nor for the heat, unless you have another gene to help). That's why they're all unlocked initially--to give you something to try and mutate out bad genes, but you'll have to work harder to get better genes to do well.

1 minute ago, A Nicheling said:

Yes, but the derp snout is supposed to be the "worst one" yet it is more useful. So why give a more recessive snout less abilities. 

Then what is the point of rogues having derp snout if it isn't the worst one.

Derp Snout is ugly. I can tolerate and even love my nichelings with Derp Snout, but I don't want them to have it. I would rather them have Short Snout (though I prefer Big Nose, not because of its extra smelling ability, but because I like its look more). And it's more fun without Distasteful Appearance. I can't properly sacrifice my deformed-paw nichelings when they have Derp Snout. 

In conclusion: Short Snout is "default." It isn't supposed to have a special ability. It's that gene you put in the mutation menu because you hate Bat Head because it's ugly and creepy and needs to be exterminated when you don't have a better snout for it. And it's good for challenges, like the AHVHC 2 I'm making--It doesn't have a special ability which makes it harder to survive.

So yeah I'm sorry but downvote : (

• Like 1