Stray Fawn Community

Simplified Niche Settings for Education

Wambsii

Hello! I am a teacher at a school for Special Needs Education. I started testing Niche to find out if it suits the needs of my pupils.

On one hand, i love the complexity of the game, making it possible to experience many aspects of genetics and Evolution. 

On the other hand, for Education purposes, it would be extremely useful to reduce the complexity, e.g. to only look at the available food and leaving aspects like temperature, ability to swim or fight, fertility, ... aside.

Is this possible in Niche? 

Thank you! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Wambsii

I think you could design a challenge with custom Nichelings (which don't have swimming and flying and just have the highest possible fertitily. Maybe turning wild Nichelings off would also make sense to make sure they don't bring in these complex genes again.
Temperature is not something you can turn off, but you can pick an island that always stays in medium temperature, so you won't notice it (grass islands are usually good for this).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Ya know, I was just thinking about this not too long ago. I was lazily doing stuff on code.org, and went "why not play some educational minecraft on code.org" and then it hit me. what if niche had its own 'educational edition? like more scientific info and explanation of genetics

On 2/24/2021 at 9:59 AM, Wambsii said:

Hello! I am a teacher at a school for Special Needs Education. I started testing Niche to find out if it suits the needs of my pupils.

On one hand, i love the complexity of the game, making it possible to experience many aspects of genetics and Evolution. 

On the other hand, for Education purposes, it would be extremely useful to reduce the complexity, e.g. to only look at the available food and leaving aspects like temperature, ability to swim or fight, fertility, ... aside.

Is this possible in Niche? 

Thank you! 

On 2/24/2021 at 10:05 AM, Philo said:

Hi Wambsii

I think you could design a challenge with custom Nichelings (which don't have swimming and flying and just have the highest possible fertitily. Maybe turning wild Nichelings off would also make sense to make sure they don't bring in these complex genes again.
Temperature is not something you can turn off, but you can pick an island that always stays in medium temperature, so you won't notice it (grass islands are usually good for this).

On 6/6/2021 at 7:52 PM, orinz said:

Ya know, I was just thinking about this not too long ago. I was lazily doing stuff on code.org, and went "why not play some educational minecraft on code.org" and then it hit me. what if niche had its own 'educational edition? like more scientific info and explanation of genetics

NICHE EDUCATION EDITION!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, orinz said:

It would be a nice way to learn so much more about my genetics for people with my diagnosis i think

????????????????????????