Stray Fawn Community

How do I make and use Niche save files?

Chiyanna

I just found out how to do commands (from ppl on the forums) and before I use them I would like to save my save-file in case I mess it up/corrupt my save. Also would like to be able to play as save files from here and upload my saves to the forums in the future, and save my files before I move onto another island so I can keep playing with the nichelings on old island for story purposes if need-be. Any help/knowledge would be appreciated.

This should have most of the info. A comment contains a video from Seri that is old but I think it should still be accurate.

If you have Mac, you can sort of combine that info with the below since Mac has a new file path (everything else is the same):

• Like 1
  • Love 1

18 hours ago, Sky with no brim said:

This should have most of the info. A comment contains a video from Seri that is old but I think it should still be accurate.

If you have Mac, you can sort of combine that info with the below since Mac has a new file path (everything else is the same):

I got as far as appdata, but a Niche folder wasn't in there. I do have a steam folder created when i downloaded steam, could the correct folder be in there or is it hidden?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chiyanna said:

Thinking just another of those small differences, but there are 5 save-slots now and they are unnamed, they have numbers instead. I'm assuming 0 is the first slot? I only have 4 slots filled rn.

Niche savefiles 1.PNG

Slot0 is the top slot in the game, it goes down to 4. (I'm not sure if renaming saves messes anything up but I wouldn't recommend it. When I want to take it out or make a copy, i make a folder just for the one save and name the folder.)

Make sure you never have more than one save with the same slot number in the save folder. I'm not sure if it can cause damage but as far as I can remember either one or both of the saves will not appear in-game when you open it.

And fyi - if you have the game open while making changes, the changes will only appear when you either close the game and reopen it, or go back to the main menu. If you let a game save after deleting it from the files, i think it just makes a new save file so it can save.

Oh, and notice in the Niche folder where you find Saves: there are two note files, names and gem colors. These let you change the names generated and gem colors, respectively. If you need help with that, just ask! There's also a sandbox settings folder, which I'm pretty sure just works like the saves except there's no slot numbers or anything, so you can share your sandbox settings easily!

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Sky with no brim said:

Slot0 is the top slot in the game, it goes down to 4. (I'm not sure if renaming saves messes anything up but I wouldn't recommend it. When I want to take it out or make a copy, i make a folder just for the one save and name the folder.)

Make sure you never have more than one save with the same slot number in the save folder. I'm not sure if it can cause damage but as far as I can remember either one or both of the saves will not appear in-game when you open it.

And fyi - if you have the game open while making changes, the changes will only appear when you either close the game and reopen it, or go back to the main menu. If you let a game save after deleting it from the files, i think it just makes a new save file so it can save.

Oh, and notice in the Niche folder where you find Saves: there are two note files, names and gem colors. These let you change the names generated and gem colors, respectively. If you need help with that, just ask! There's also a sandbox settings folder, which I'm pretty sure just works like the saves except there's no slot numbers or anything, so you can share your sandbox settings easily!

Thanks for the information :) Also, the video says you have to put the saves back in the slots they were in before or they don't work, is that the same now? Edit: I guess there actually are no "slots" u just have to delete the one thats occupying the save slot. This seems simple enough...so I think I'll go ahead and try it out. I'll let you know if I run into any problems/more questions

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chiyanna said:

I should be free to delete/do risky things with my save now, right?

niche savefiles 2.PNG

If you have copy and pasted the file over to another folder (or just dragged it over into the folder), then yes, it should be fine. If you want to make sure, you can always upload your save here (or another website) for safe keeping in case you make a mistake.

• Paw up 1

Thanks for your help :) I'll go ahead and use commands now. What does happen if there are two save files of the same slot in the folder? Does it just run one of them or neither or are they corrupted somehow? If I wanted to say, copy my game, move to another island, and then play the old savefile to keep playing as my tribe and do them both at once, is there a way to make a slot 1/0 savefile a slot 5/4 savefile or would I have to constantly swap them out?

• Like 1

Just now, Chiyanna said:

Thanks for your help :) I'll go ahead and use commands now. What does happen if there are two save files of the same slot in the folder? Does it just run one of them or neither or are they corrupted somehow? If I wanted to say, copy my game, move to another island, and then play the old savefile to keep playing as my tribe and do them both at once, is there a way to make a slot 1/0 savefile a slot 5/4 savefile or would I have to constantly swap them out?

Unfortunately, you cannot change what slot they go in. You'd have to just keep switching them out. I'm not exactly sure what it does with the two saves one slot thing, I haven't done that sort of stuff in a while.

• Paw up 1