Stray Fawn Community

Playing style?

Applesauce

Everyone has their own playing style, but how would you describe yours? I’ve been jumping around with different ways to play like changing the pacing and such so I’m looking for ideas. The only thing I do consistently is not use the mutation menu, as some of you might know. For me, it just feels too easy. Heres a couple questions to get you started - do you use any story/role play? and how long to you tend to stick with one game? Include any details that feel important.

• Like 4

I have trouble staying with one tribe. I think the main thing is that I like a challenge, so once the challenge is gone (like if I'm very low on food but then I gather way more than enough), I often just stop playing that save. However, I've managed to stay with one story mode save for over 500 days now. I think it's mostly because I've gotten far enough that I'm too invested to throw it away, plus I have a goal of getting to Home Island.

Anyways, I usually have some element of story. It just kinda pops out of nowhere--I might have no story at all for most of my nichleings but just one is a character with personality and does things according to their story instead of whatever is actually best. I have a huge and complicated pantheon, so incorporating that into my game sort of helps. Most of my stories are within my pantheon, really.

• Like 3

I don't really have the attention span to stick to one game for very long. I keep the save file though, because I like going back to them and playing them later. I like restarting story mode over and over again just to see how far I get before I lose interest in my Nichelings.

I like roleplaying, but I always get stressed out when I try to do things like not have a Nicheling kill a rabbit because they wouldn't do that in universe. I focus more on the strategy aspect. (That's why I like Fire Emblem and Pokemon)

I don't consciously decide that I'm not going to use the mutation menu, but it's just something that sorta happens. I just forget that it exists. I also use the hearing and smelling mechanic a lot more than other people I've seen, and sometimes I go for a few in-game days without switching out of it. 

I like to have my Nichelings keep moving. In story mode, I'll always have them moving, leaving a trail of cleared grass and empty bushes behind them. In sandbox mode, I might have them do the same thing, or I'll settle a few of them down and have the others go out and create pathways for the others to follow. 

• Like 3

I love making stories with my nichelings. I'm always rping with them. I do also love the strategy aspect of niche but I could never live without the story! Often I don't use up all the moves of all my characters because it wouldn't make sense story-wise to move them/there's nothing for them to really do! Sometimes I also don't move them for strategic purposes like I have a female on a nest or to better hunt moles/rabbils.

I rarely ever use the mutation menu, because I like the challenge of not using it and I think it's unrealistic. Sometimes I do use it though, usually to get a gene in the family that I had before but lost.

I love stories that build up over generations, so I generally stick to the same save. Also I have a youtube series so it's not like I could abandon that save even if I wanted to. Also, I'm trying to get through storymode currently. When I do have other saves/series' I'm going to try and connect them to my storymode/niche universe storywise. Like taking a group of creatures from my current save and doing a challenge with them.

My storymode strategy at the moment is settle every island as much as you can, get as many creatures and food as you can. This has worked well on the archipelago. Some have trouble with getting food on it because it's so hard to get from one island to the next to get food and even if you leave creatures behind they eventually die off. Speed-running the archipelago is something I decided not to do and I'm so glad. I've let my tribe spread out across it over generations, and I have families breeding on each island so I have gatherers on every island I've settled. I have over 100 nichelings but they bring in enough food every turn. I have over 400 food before I skip to the next day, and around 300 afterwards.

• Like 1

Most of my saves are for playthroughs so I tend to do a ton of story and stick with them for a long time. Funnily enough, because of this, it's nearly impossible for me to look at a nicheling and not think up some kind of personality for them, since I'm so used to it. 

Everything, no matter how strategical, always has some kind of story purpose in my head. Most of the time it all just kinda happens on it's own, and including the fact that I can basically make up personalities on the spot just by looking at a nicheling, I've somehow made countless unique characters. Which sounds great, but trust me, it's a huge pain trying to remember everything.

Anytime something particularly interesting happens I just shove it into my lore somehow, which is probably why it's such a mess lmao

I've got so many spirits and gods and demigods that even I can barely keep track anymore

• Like 2
  • Eek! 1
  • Paw up 1

My style is something like this:

Let's make a story! Your personality is... a horrible person *proceeds to drown nicheling's parent and make them do really questionable decisions that would have them booted out of the tribe* Man, this tribe's weird *deletes save file*

Wow, a succesful tribe in Deadly Hills! TIME TO SPLIT THEM- oh, no killer bearyenas? *deletes savefile* (R.I.P. Memoria Tribe)

This save is a bit boring... let's use the console to kill everyone! WAIT WHY ARE THE BEARYENAS KILLING EVERYONE???? *deletes savefile*

I like this tribe! They are a bit weak though

Game: ahaha, bearyenas go brrrr

Tribe: *is composed by two teens with 5 food and surrounded by predators*

.......... *deletes savefile*

This tribe is going well, sure they are all red and inbred, but everything's swell- 50 nichelings? Too many! *deletes savefile* Wait why did I do that

I need to clear some save files *deletes favorite and most succesful tribe that had some semblance of story. On purpose* NOOOOOOOOOO

I have commitment issues

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• 7 months later...

I have two playing styles:

Settling down - You just pick an island and settle there. Works best for me on Peaceful Meadow. Used on my Patterns tribe.

Speed breeding - Grab your starters and start breeding as fast as possible! Try to gather food but mostly focus on breeding. Even a starving tribe can survive if they have enough children. This really works! The first time I did this was on my longest save file, the La'Khaan tribe. Sadly, the tribe died some time after day 150. Though I managed to impregnate a female, so I started with the same bloodline - and this was the beginning of the New La'Khaan tribe. Though, when even Kirduk was still alive, the save file was probably deleted...

And that's the story of the La'Khaan tribe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lizardcake said:

I have two playing styles:

Settling down - You just pick an island and settle there. Works best for me on Peaceful Meadow. Used on my Patterns tribe.

Speed breeding - Grab your starters and start breeding as fast as possible! Try to gather food but mostly focus on breeding. Even a starving tribe can survive if they have enough children. This really works! The first time I did this was on my longest save file, the La'Khaan tribe. Sadly, the tribe died some time after day 150. Though I managed to impregnate a female, so I started with the same bloodline - and this was the beginning of the New La'Khaan tribe. Though, when even Kirduk was still alive, the save file was probably deleted...

And that's the story of the La'Khaan tribe.

Noooo rip La'Khaan tribe.

I keep and back up pretty much every savefile, even if I think I'll never play them again just in case. So this hasn't happened to me yet. But I also have an ADD mind and go back and forth between computers. I am currently playing Niche offline cause I'm absolutely terrified of Steam synching the saves in the actual niche saveslots on my two computers and loosing one set of them. (Does anyone else have this problem?) Because they're all backed up I would probably just loose some progress not the actual savefile, but even loosing progress is enough for me to want to abandon a project all-together. 

My style is mostly just, GET THE FOOD! and, I want a nicheling to look a certain way

Occasionally a nicheling will be born that I like the fur pattern and genes of, and that one will get a bit of story. That's what happened with my boy, Steve. At about 60 days in he was born, and that save became his and his family's story.

But that save didn't have any sort of story to it till Steve was born. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SafiraCoyfolf said:

My style is mostly just, GET THE FOOD!

Do I have permission to put this in "little to no context"? 

I want to start putting quotes from the forums there and seeing if anyone recognizes them or can find them....

shhhhh don't tell the people who follow that thread

• Paw up 1