Stray Fawn Community

Unnamed game idea

Lilytuft

Zix said I should make my own thread for this, so here it goes!

Time to copy-paste everything from the other tread (this one by the way)

I have this idea for a game with like 30 different routes you could take. It'd most likely be a 2d game but I'm not sure what perspective would be the best. Any choises you make could change the story based on 2 meters: alignment and spirit. The setting would be a forest area with different villages. The residents are animals and the main character is a messenger that delivers mail between the villages. A few of the routes would be based around just that, but most of them involve leaving the task. When your spirit level goes up, you begin to notice new NPCs you couldn't see before. Ghosts, spirits and eventually even the creatures who hold this land together called "the eternals". If your spirit level stays low, you can go through the entire game without finding out anything about them. You also have a notebook, that you can scribble notes into. And also the structures in the entire game are decorated with scribbles that are actually both the letters of an ancient language as well as symbols with invidual meanings that hide an even deeper plotline that I haven't fully figured out yet.

https://strayfawnstudio.com/community/uploads/monthly_2021_05/kuva.png.631d0656857fd584d0e2dda1ab24af05.png

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I honestly love this

I think the character you play as should be some kind of land animal and not an avian or aquatic

I think the artstyle you have going is great! but if it doesn't speak to you personally then that's fine, too!

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Green the Fiery Fox said:

I honestly love this

I think the character you play as should be some kind of land animal and not an avian or aquatic

I think the artstyle you have going is great! but if it doesn't speak to you personally then that's fine, too!

Glad to hear :Onbu_laugh:

I've been considering a marten or something similiar

I have no idea what to do with the actual game art, but I guess it could work

2 minutes ago, Lilytuft said:

marten

A floofy wild bean

2 minutes ago, Lilytuft said:

I have no idea what to do with the actual game art, but I guess it could work

you are traveling through a forest, correct? I could totally make some background refs

they wouldn't be in the exact same style, but it maybe would be a good base to work off of!

• Eek! 1

39 minutes ago, NotEpicEeveeGaming said:

good idea!

I like this.

Thank

2 minutes ago, Megthewolf said:

Wow! This is a crazy cool story idea and it sounds so fun!!!

Thank and also welcome to the forums

This sounds really cool! Maybe I could give a few ideas, I can also draw some art if you want to.

Name for the GamePaths

Maybe the spirits are trapped in the world because they can't choose a path to move on. So they can become either aggressive, depressive or confused. The character can help the spirits by watching their past lives and show the different paths they can take. 

• Eek! 1

11 minutes ago, Green the Fiery Fox said:

btw any specific things you would want in terms of art? (mainly just references for you to work off of!)

Hmmm... Well I've been having trouble coming up with accessory and clothing designs

Just now, Green the Fiery Fox said:

alr, so what is the time in history style-wise? (ex. medieval)

Something like medieval/pre industry era. As in they don't have any technology, but things like cloth exist

how would the notebook work?
would it have any mechanics that you couldn't do with a normal notebook? (ex: an in game code causing somethings to happen.) Maybe writing could increase spirit. If it did, maybe you could go so far as to have the words be analized. So it could ally you with fire or frost by writing: I like the cold, or; I think the frost alligence sucks, to lower you frost counter. That's why maybe you could split the frost and fire counter, so that you could have negitive frost alligence and no fire aligence, have them both hate you. Though I think it should be a hidden counter, same with the spirit counter. Maybe have the frost and fire counter be unlockable, but the spirit counter should definitly be hidden. Maybe the higher your spirit level, you can have different things, eventually just having a full meter.
maybe you could have the journel be auto written, by the character, resulting in the player being able to figure out puzzles, and lore search.

maybe have both methods of journel.

Idk, just a suggestion. 

• Eek! 1

15 hours ago, Zixvir said:

how would the notebook work?
would it have any mechanics that you couldn't do with a normal notebook? (ex: an in game code causing somethings to happen.) Maybe writing could increase spirit. If it did, maybe you could go so far as to have the words be analized. So it could ally you with fire or frost by writing: I like the cold, or; I think the frost alligence sucks, to lower you frost counter. That's why maybe you could split the frost and fire counter, so that you could have negitive frost alligence and no fire aligence, have them both hate you. Though I think it should be a hidden counter, same with the spirit counter. Maybe have the frost and fire counter be unlockable, but the spirit counter should definitly be hidden. Maybe the higher your spirit level, you can have different things, eventually just having a full meter.
maybe you could have the journel be auto written, by the character, resulting in the player being able to figure out puzzles, and lore search.

maybe have both methods of journel.

Idk, just a suggestion. 

You have a lot of great ideas here and I'll definitely have to consider some of these if I even end up making the game. The notebook would have a few tools like different pens and such and you could draw and write in it. I don't know if word analysis would work since there are so many contexts for the words and people might also write in different languages. When I first got the idea for the game I played around with the idea of multiplayer and sharing notebook pages.

You make a good point about the alliance meter. Maybe that one should be a triangle as well, with the third corner being empty? Also none of the meters would have any explanation, so it would be confusing even with them visible. I will consider hiding the spirit meter though.

I don't know about auto written notes, but puzzles and lore search could also be implemented with notes and books you could find while exploring. You could paper clip the invidual notes into your notebook. I need to play around with this idea more.

Thanks for your suggestions! :Onbu_laugh:

8 hours ago, Lilytuft said:

I don't know about auto written notes, but puzzles and lore search could also be implemented with notes and books you could find while exploring. You could paper clip the invidual notes into your notebook. I need to play around with this idea more

8 hours ago, Lilytuft said:

have a few tools like different pens and such and you could draw and write in it.

when I wrote this, I meant it as a text feature, and for the issue of different languages, since there would be a text feature, you could have it work.

also for auto writing I meant like in pokemon. But more like the quests in the Japanese version of Botw, where it has the character you play as write in it. Maybe both could be features. Depends if you want the player character to have lore, or to have them be the person playing in an animals body.

What would the game mechanics be? Would you move around in an rpg style format?( Bords eye view) 

• Like 1

On 5/20/2021 at 4:44 PM, Green the Fiery Fox said:

is this good as a quick example for a dress/feminine clothes?

354077077_UhdressrefrenceIguess.thumb.png.a7e8e800def25e96e4ca6cc8f7cc1017.png

just like casual-wear

it's only a quick example and can and will be improved

yeah like, how would you put jeans on an animal?

these are the challanges created when doing art.

Maybe you could try drawing them wearing shorts?

questions for lilytuft:

What would the in game artstyle be? Would it be 8 bit or like turnip boy commits tax evasion and parsnip where it's drawn?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Zixvir said:

when I wrote this, I meant it as a text feature, and for the issue of different languages, since there would be a text feature, you could have it work.

Still there would be too many ways to prase things, besides, alignment is largely based on character interactions and dialogue. Just because you dislike a certain element, that doesn't mean they'll dislike you, because they may not know it.

also for auto writing I meant like in pokemon. But more like the quests in the Japanese version of Botw, where it has the character you play as write in it. Maybe both could be features. Depends if you want the player character to have lore, or to have them be the person playing in an animals body.

I haven't played pokemon so I don't know how this works. The character's lore is that they are a messenger that delivers mail between different villages. The rest depends on the player's actions.

What would the game mechanics be? Would you move around in an rpg style format?( Bords eye view) 

I don't know yet. Probably 2d at least, since 3d would make things very complicated. Perspective is still a mystery.

What would the in game artstyle be? Would it be 8 bit or like turnip boy commits tax evasion and parsnip where it's drawn?

This is still a big question mark. Definitely not pixelart, I want the character designs to be clearly visible

This is Kirla, a character I came up with back when I played around with the idea of character customization

kuva.png.b691289647a9997ea7512af87898d0dc.png

• Love 4