Stray Fawn Community

Challenge: ADAPT

Speedyscout

In this challenge, your goal is to visit every biome, but with a twist; you have to stay there until you've bred at least one Nicheling with every ideal gene for that biome.

I playtested this, and it's really hard at first, but it gets a bit easier later; I've only playtested up to grassland though, and I'm around day 150 without getting to go to the next biome so... it might take a while.

This challenge relies heavily on mutations!

STARTER CREATION

1 or 2 pairs of Nichelings (so 2 or 4 total). All of them must have the following genes:

• Red or yellow fur
  • Mask or no pattern
  • Round or medium ears
  • Short snout
  • No horns
  • Medium body
  • 1 deformed paw and 1 runner leg
  • Normal hind legs
  • Medium tail

Anything not listed there can be randomized or selected to be whatever you want. When there are multiple choices, your starters can all have different ones of these options.

SETTINGS

Age settings are as follows. They can be edited slightly but must have no more then 5 days variation in the total amount of days in a Nicheling's life (30 days), and pregnancy shouldn't be longer then 5 days.

• Baby - 2 days
  • Child - 3 days
  • Teen - 5 days
  • Adult - 20 days
  • Pregnancy - 2 days

Damage and healing multipliers are up to you. Do NOT turn on 'all genes' or whatever it's called, but you can turn on blind genes (unless it stops you from being able to mutate, in which case don't).

Rogue males are optional, Wanderers are not (you need them to get wings for Swamp). Everything else should stay turned on in World Settings.

Starting island: Grass Adventure or Archipelago, depending on if you want to develop water or grassland adaptations first.

GAMEPLAY

You can do whatever you want as long as it follows the rules:

• No moving islands until at least one living Nicheling has the ideal genes for that biome. (See "Ideal Adaptations" below)
  • The challenge is only finished when you have done every biome (grassland, swamp, jungle, savannah, mountains, and water). Doing water is optional.
  • You can optionally do an 'every island' version.
  • OPTIONAL: if none of your living nichelings are directly descended from one of your founders, you lose. (To track this you'll have to take screenshots of the family tree, otherwise you won't be able to tell.)
  • OPTIONAL: post your playthrough on the forums and link it here! :D

IDEAL ADAPTATIONS

You have to have a Nicheling with all the ideal genes in their current biome to move islands. If there are any other genes that are ideal for a biome and not listed here, or if some genes listed are actually not ideal, please tell me! I got most/all of this info off the wiki and it may be outdated.

Grassland:

• Double Nimble Fingers
  • Any horns except Antenna
  • Moss Brown Fur
  • Stripes
  • Big Nose or Cracker Jaw

Swamp:

• Toxic Body or Scorpion Tail
  • Double Wings (2 Wings, 2 Bat Wings, or 1 Bat Wing and 1 Wing; doesn't matter)
  • Black Fur
  • Purr Snout

Jungle:

• Black Fur
  • Dots
  • Lean Body
  • Stinky Tail
  • At least one Velvet Paw

Savannah:

• Chestnut Brown and/or Beige fur
  • Big Ears
  • Lean Body
  • Big Nose
  • Scorpion Tail
  • Double Runner Leg

Mountain:

• Big Body
  • Runner Leg and/or Digging Paw
  • Megaloceros Horns
  • White and/or Red Brown fur
  • Hammer Tail or Medium Tail

Water:

• Water Body
  • Webbed Hind Legs
  • Fishing Tail
  • Double Claw
  • Platypus Beak or Cracker Jaw
  • Beige Fur
Edited by Speedyscout
wanderers no longer optional because you need em for wings (thank you for pointing that out, Modiano!!)
  • Like 3
  • Paw up 1

18 hours ago, Speedyscout said:

Platypus Beak or Cracker Jaw

waitwaitwait what??

cracker jaw.. is for trees (and shells but it makes more sense if they are on the shore) it should only be in grassland

anyways i really like this!

• Like 1
  • Paw up 1

2 hours ago, Polly said:

cracker jaw.. is for trees (and shells but it makes more sense if they are on the shore) it should only be in grassland

As I said, I used the wiki for a lot of this and it said cracker jaw was good for water, due to shells. I'm going to leave it there for now, but I plan on playtesting some of these adaptions today and if cracker jaw is significantly less useful, I'll remove it. Thank you for pointing this out though! ❤️

2 hours ago, Polly said:

anyways i really like this!

Thank you! I really appreciate it! :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Polly said:

So I did some testing as I said in above post, and cracker jaw is about as helpful as Platypus Beak, if not more so, in water. Well, I only tested Archipelago, but there are quite a few shells in the deep water there; I assume most people will use Archipelago to adapt water genes(?), so I'm going to leave cracker jaw. :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Speedyscout said:

So I did some testing as I said in above post, and cracker jaw is about as helpful as Platypus Beak, if not more so, in water. Well, I only tested Archipelago, but there are quite a few shells in the deep water there; I assume most people will use Archipelago to adapt water genes(?), so I'm going to leave cracker jaw. :)

Alright! :DD

• Like 1
  • Paw up 1

17 minutes ago, Modiano said:

Maybe add insect collecting genes to the swamp, those would be useful with the bug swarms

Hm that's also a very good point. I'll do some swamp playtesting later I think and see about adding that. Thank you :D

• Paw up 1

• 3 months later...
On 9/12/2021 at 11:08 AM, Night said:

I know it has passed quite some time since this was posted but. I love this! I'm not going to make a playthrough but you can see how I'm going here.

image.thumb.png.032c1292a4b47d3bcb146183f15fce60.png

Hello :) And that's awesome! :D I hope you continue to enjoy it and feel free to keep posting progress here, I'd be interested to see! ^^

(I'm no longer very active here, but I was just checking in and thought I would reply! ♥)

• Like 2

I'll try to post more images here! I'm currently on the jungle gate with no access at all to lean body, so it's going to be a while for me to change islands again. This is a very cool challenge! 

• Eek! 1