Stray Fawn Community

How on earth do I find the name file?

So you know the file where you can edit generated names? I can't do the usual pathway C:\Users\username\AppData\LocalLow\Team Niche\Niche - a genetics survival game\AnimalNames.ini and it may be because I use linux and downloaded Niche from steam. I've searched LocAllow, AnimalNames.ini and AppData already and its not there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TunaCheeseCrisps said:

So you know the file where you can edit generated names? I can't do the usual pathway C:\Users\username\AppData\LocalLow\Team Niche\Niche - a genetics survival game\AnimalNames.ini and it may be because I use linux and downloaded Niche from steam. I've searched LocAllow, AnimalNames.ini and AppData already and its not there. 

search "team niche" it might take a bit to show up

• Like 1

I hear Linux, and I am summoned...?

On my system (Ubuntu 16.04 and using Mate rather than the usual DE, so I may have some different programs and settings) it's under:

/home/usernamehere/.config/unity3d/Team Niche/Niche - a genetics survival game/AnimalNames.ini

If you couldn't see .config looking around, it may be hidden in the file manager.  Not sure what one that one in the screenshot is, but in mine (Caja) that option is under Edit -> Preferences -> Views -> check the "Show hidden and backup files" box.  It may be somewhere very different for you...what version of Ubuntu/other debian-thing do you have, if you know?

651618909_NicheFoldercropped.png.3a65bcad0c1c96314c5802a95403c8c2.png

(Also visible, a few backup and alternate versions of the names/gem colors files that I put there myself. Those won't be in your folder, but it's probably good to make your own backup copy before editing!)

If that's not where it is, maybe find will do better than the GUI search tool?  Open a terminal (hopefully Control+Alt+T works for that, otherwise it'll be somewhere in the menus, possibly under System Tools) and paste in:

find ~ -name AnimalNames.ini

and see what it brings up (let it run until it's finished and gives you a new $ terminal line thing).  If you get nothing, try

find / -name AnimalNames.ini 2>/dev/null

to search the whole filesystem, not just your home folder, which may take a while.  The /dev/null thing is to make find not spam you with a ton of PERMISSION DENIED messages over the assorted root/admin-only directories that wouldn't have game files in them anyway.  (Thanks to this page for how to do that.  I learned a thing.)

• Paw up 1

@Tilly Thanks for your response, my brother who installed linux on my pc in the first place was able to navigate through the terminal through the directories and then to the ini file, and then just used gedit AnimalNames.ini to edit them.

cd .config/unity3d/Team\ Niche/Niche\ -\ a\ genetics\ survival\ game/&& gedit AnimalNames.ini 

• Eek! 1