Stray Fawn Community

Zebra Challenge

allso2000

This is a Zebra harem challenge!

Set-up:
Island: Grasslands or savanna is preferred

Lifespan: The baby life-stage or stage should last 3 days. The child life-stage or weanling stage should last 5 days. The teen life-stage or yearling stage should last 10-14 days (up to your discretion) and the adult life-stage should be 40 days. Pregnancy duration should be set to 1 day.

Breeding: The dominant stallion will breed with all of his compatible mares within 1-3 days of each other. This will ensure that foals will have a better chance of survival because of them being similar ages.  

Note: Damage multipliers are up to you

Ideal Zebra:
- Medium Ears
- No Horns
- Short Snout OR Big Nose
- Lean or medium body is ideal, however males are preferred to have the medium body
- Runner leg, nimble fingers, or velvet paw
- Normal hind legs
- Medium tail
- White or black fur with white or black stripes

Forbidden Genes:
- Any horns, claws, bearyena genes, wings, heads other than the previously listed ones, and tails other than medium tail

Diet:

Zebras are strictly herbivorous but will travel between berry bushes frequently.

Predator Response:
Zebras are fight or flight animals who do to their lack of claws will usually choose to flee. However, a mare may choose to protect her foal / foals if needed. Stallions will be highly aggressive to predators that they deem weak enough to take on.

Infant Foals & Pregnant Mares:
After breeding with the dominant stallion / stallion, pregnant mares will migrate away from the harem to a secluded nesting site to give birth. After foaling, pregnant mares will wait until their small foals grow into weanlings where they can keep up with the harem to then rejoin them. Mares will only be able to foal again after the herd migrates and her past foals grow into yearlings.

Weanlings:

Once growing into weanlings, these rambunctious foals will begin to leave their mother's sides to play with other similarly aged foals.

Yearlings:
This is the most important life-stage as a zebra where yearling males will be forced into bachelor herds consisting of only male zebras. Bachelor herds will be kept away from the main harem of females by the dominant male who will patrol and threaten other males away. Yearlings will no longer be cared for by their mothers.

Mares (Adults): 
 Once yearling females grow into adult mares, they are considered valued members of the harem. Mares will breed with the dominant stallion, however, if they are to breed with a bachelor male they risk the life of their foal / foals. Mares will only be able to foal again after the herd migrates and her past foals grow into yearlings. Mares are very social and will groom and collect food with one another, however, they follow a strict hierarchy. Harems will be guided and led by a single leader known as the lead mare. The lead mare is the most dominant female of the group and will not hesitate to kick lesser females away from a berry bush to claim for herself. The lead mare can grow angry if the dominant male continues to give lesser females more attention and may even bite lesser females (Use niche commands to give them 1-2 damage). Females who do not have foals of their own may attempt to steal a foal from another female to raise as her own (Use a random number generator to decide if she successfully steals the foal).

Stallions (Adults):

After a yearling male is kicked out by the dominant stallion, he will group up with other cast away males in a herd known as a bachelor herd. Within bachelor herds, the strongest male will have to ability to challenge the dominant stallion for ownership of the herd of females. If two males are of equal strength, they will spare to decide who is a better fighter (Use a random number generator to decide). These battles can be vicious and can leave the loser injured (Use niche commands to add 2-4 damage). Once a male has gained ownership of the herd of females, he will be known as the dominant stallion.  The dominant stallion will patrol and threaten the bachelor herd of male zebras away and breed will all of his compatible females. If a dominant stallion detects that a foal is not his own, he will kill it without a second thought to further his own lineage (Use a random number generator to decide whether or not he detects it). 

Migrations:
After breeding and settling in one half of the island, to breed again the harem of females and their dominant male must make a migration to another area of the island. This migration will usually take place once the foals of the latest breeding season grow into yearlings. 

I think that I've covered everything but let me known if I missed something!

• Like 1
  • Eek! 1

This is a very good and detailed challenge! I may try this out some-time soon, I am partial to zebras from playing Cenozoic Survival on Roblox, actually lol. Though that only one-gemmed weanlings can play and are protected by the mother makes it a bit impractical. Also, shouldn't pregnancy duration be 2 days or more?

On 7/11/2021 at 11:42 AM, Chiyanna said:

This is a very good and detailed challenge! I may try this out some-time soon, I am partial to zebras from playing Cenozoic Survival on Roblox, actually lol. Though that only one-gemmed weanlings can play and are protected by the mother makes it a bit impractical. Also, shouldn't pregnancy duration be 2 days or more?

Thank you! I also play Roblox Cenozoic Survival! Also yes I do think that the pregnancy could be made longer and that one-gemmed weanlings would have to stay a bit close to their respective mothers.

• Eek! 1

1 hour ago, Allso said:

Thank you! I also play Roblox Cenozoic Survival! Also yes I do think that the pregnancy could be made longer and that one-gemmed weanlings would have to stay a bit close to their respective mothers.

I'm going to try this out now, may or may not become a playthrough

• Like 1

I breifly tried out this challenge today. Am thinking of making it a playthrough/series.

My sandbox settings:

20210713181221_1.thumb.jpg.c4327b2989e1ece905194e78750df025.jpg

Also turned on blind genes to make things more interesting/realistic

20210713201940_1.thumb.jpg.c898354ec595ff139001894d5032f3b1.jpg

The starters start on a penninsula and quickly decide to go inland in search of berries. They are led by lead mare, Isisana. The lead stallion stays in back to protect the harem as they move.20210713202014_1.thumb.jpg.58fba4529414797c965abeaf1152f577.jpg

We find a berry bush! It's picked clean quickly, providing quite a bit of food. Then, we search for more bushes, moving in our migrating pattern.

20210713202138_1.thumb.jpg.05c8af0b9a2613aee815ce4c72998bfc.jpg

20210713202608_1.thumb.jpg.bcd3b3f60d2a6cef07d979c796952ea0.jpg

We breed for the first time, all compatable females the same day. Elana finds a nest first, but she is disturbed by young Grace who has curiously wandered over. She contemplates chasing the female off, but they are close in age and kind-of friends. Grace occupies herself with picking berries.

20210713203129_1.thumb.jpg.4ea83284f630a4354c0404e9892274d9.jpg

Our first foal is born! A male, though. The lead stallion is not too pleased...

20210713203424_1.thumb.jpg.3fc194265cdf186ec93c289a482e1401.jpg

After chasing off a rogue male I forgot to get a screenshot of, the stallion comes over; determined to do something about this. Elana stands her ground, protecting her infant son, refusing to move. Meanwhile, the other two females have nested in preparation for their foals.

And that's all for now! Hoping to play some more tomorrow, though if it's recorded it may not go on youtube for a week or so

16 hours ago, Allso said:

Nice! The herd is looking good

I may end up skimping on some of the rules for story purposes btw (mostly whether males will kill foals and whether lead mares will bully based on personalities)

• Eek! 1