Stray Fawn Community

The Last Sabers

Chiyanna

Day 12 Fangs

Run knew something was wrong when she saw the look on Mimime's face.

"Fang and Strawberry are fighting!" Mimime frantically said.

That's obvious! Tell me what's wrong! "We knew that already," said Run, unable to hide the worry and annoyance.

"No," said Mimime, "I mean physically fighting! Fang attacked Strawberry!"

"Fang wouldn't do that!" Run snapped, this is rediculous, why would Strawberry and Fang fight?

"Well he did, I saw him jump at her," Mimime argued.

"Maybe he was provoked, or maybe you are mistaken," Run accused.

"Do you honestly think Strawberry would try and hurt Fang?" Mimime questioned.

No...I don't. I just can't believe what you're saying! What motive would either of them have? What were they even arguing about anyways? "I just can't believe it," Run finaly said.

"Well hurry up and believe it, before Fang and Strawberry hurt eachother, or worse. We have to go stop them!" Mimime pushed.

She's right. If Fang's in danger of getting hurt I have to stop this fight!

"We should go in different directions to come at the fight from different angles," suggested Stalker.

"Alright," Run said, "I'll go this way." She bounded off, quickly, I have to get to Fang. I have to save him.

Mimime was halfway to the sight of the fight when she heard a scream. Stalker was about 10 feet to her left, and whirled around.

"Is that Run?!" he said, quite worried.

"I think so," said Mimime, "but one of us has to go on and break up the fight. I'll go see what's wrong."

Stalker nodded, and Mimime ran in the direction of the scream. Minutes passed, Mimime's heart was racing, what would make Run scream like that?

Then, she saw someone run out of the snow. It was Run, crying.

"What happened?" Mimime asked.

Run just sat there a minute, unable to say anything. 

"What is it?" asked Mimime, anxious to know.

A few more minutes passed, Run crying and trying to collect herself. Mimime walked over to her and huddled with her.

Then, finally, she spoke, "A-a-a male-he-I tried to stop him but he wouldn't. And I-I freed my paw somehow and hit him in the head-and I did it again-and then when he got off me-he-he-he-" she burst into tears again.

I'm going to kill that male for what he did to Run! Poor sweet Run never hurt anyone, and now this has happened to her, "He what?" asked Mimime, trying to be comforting but unable to keep the anger out of her voice.

"He-he-began to sumble and-an-c-cough up bl...ood...he just kept doing so and convulsing-I-I stood there. I was unsure what to do. Then he was still-completely still...he was..." Run broke up into crying again.

What are you upset about? Mimime thought, I mean, sure it's not pleasant to see someone die, but you should've been relieved at least! "It's alright," she soothed, "he deserved it."

"No-no-y-ou don't under...stand. I hit him-I caused him to die," Run stuttered.

"If the guy died with a couple slaps to the face he had a serious problem already. You didn't kill him. He was going to die within the next week, maybe even today," Mimime explained.

Run only started crying again.

"There, there, I know you've had a terrible experiance," Mimime said, trying to comfort her.

Stalker saw his father from far off. He was tempted to call out to him, but something wasn't right.

His father was lying down in an odd position, and Mimime was no-where to be found. Let's not assume anything. But also, I won't say anything in case that would alert someone I shouldn't want to find me to my presence.

He crept closer, and closer. He got within smelling distance, but Fang didn't stirr. He got so close his father should be able to sense him, maybe even hear him, but Fang didn't move.

Finally, Stalker was so close he could touch him. He put his paw on his father, and shook, trying to wake him up. It was to no avail. His father didn't feel as warm as he should be.

No, it can't be! thought Stalker, dad would never loose a fight. Nothing could ever take him down. Stalker fought the tears and decided to creep around the other side. He took a deep breath and looked at Fang's face.

His eyes were closed, mouth slightly agape. Completely motionless, not breathing. Stalker had seen this look, this stance, come over many a rabbit. Some deer too. Even some of his siblings. But he never thought it could happen to his father. Not to Fang. He was too wise, too skilled, too smart, too strong, too good at everything for this to happen to him.

Tears welled in Stalker's eyes as he looked around, searching for whoever did this. It was Strawberry. It must be. They were fighting, and now she isn't at his side. He spotted her some feet away, leaning over, back turned to Fang's body. Probably wiping the blood off onto the snow.

A rage was building up in Stalker, I must avenge my father, and now is the perfect time to strike with her back turned to me. He crept closer and closer, until he was able to pounce on her. He stayed low to the ground, aiming, and then...he leaped into the air, claws out, ready to land right ontop of her.

Strawberry must've heard him though, because she whirled around, just in time for him to land on her. He pinned her down, "You killed my father!"

"Stalker-" Strawberry began.

"I don't want an explanation! I already know that he attacked first! Or at least that's what Mimime says. I don't want to know why. All I know is that you kept going, you didn't stop at beating him and bringing him to his senses! You killed him and were going to flee the scene or lie to us!" Stalker roared.

Strawberry's eyes welled with tears, and she opened her mouth to talk. There's nothing you can say that will change my mind.  He held one of his fangs to her neck, ready to deliever the final blow.

20210801111452_1.thumb.jpg.01e72d77f17306bc56022bb69e2b910b.jpg

(This is the best screenshot of this scene that I have. Things didn't exactly happen in game as they did in the story. But this story I'm weaving makes sense and has the same outcomes as the mad bug-fix scramble that truely occured. Also all characters and creatures mentioned in the story did actually exist in game after I increased their spawn rate with commands)

"What's that thing?" Mimime asked, seeing the creature hanging in Strawberry's mouth. It was a small creature a little bigger than a rabbit, and odd looking too. It was obviously dead, blood entrenched its coat.

Strawberry just stood there, sadness and anxiety in her eyes. Stalker's eyes betrayed greif. Neither of them seemed to be able to speak.

"Where's Fang?" Run broke the silence. She seemed to be coming out of the depression she had been in with how alert she was. Mimime would've been glad, if not for the answer, or lack of it.

"What's going on?" asked Mimime.

"My father..." began Stalker, tears slipping down his face, "has left us."

"Fang would never leave!" roared Run, getting up in Stalker's face before Mimime could stop her.

"Run," Mimime said, putting her paw on Run's shoulder, "please, come sit next to me."

Run whirled around, "why?"

"My father didn't leave of his own will," Stalker said, "listen to Mimime."

Run had a worried look in her eyes, a look of such confusion, but yet of knowing what she was missing. She nodded and stiffly walked back over to Mimime. She sat down.

"Fang is...dead," Stalker said with a voice of greif. Run collapsed beside Mimime, she began sobbing and wouldn't stop. Poor Run, what a horrible day for her. First that male doing what he did, and now the one she loved is gone. Mimime tried her best to comfort the female, but she couldn't stop crying. She'll need to do that for a while. She's greiving. Mimime herself was shocked, Fang was so strong...nothing could've killed him apart from another saber. And I know who had the opportunity to do so, but I can't bring myself to believe it. Even in her deepest rage, my sister wouldn't do something like this. She isn't a killer. But Mimime couldn't help the doubt seeping in.

Strawberry must've saw Mimime looking at her, "I-"

Suddenly, Run stopped crying, "You killed him...you killed Fang!" This time Mimime was prepared and held her back.

"Let me go!" cried Run.

"You don't know what she killed Fang," cautioned Mimime.

"I know she did it! They were fighting, remember?" Run argued.

"Even if she did, does killing another member of our pack, someone else you care about, someone who helped raise you, help anything?" Mimime asked.

"If she killed Fang she deserves to die!" Run yelled.

"Give her a chance to explain herself first," Stalker cut in, surprising the two of them, "She has a tale she wants to tell you, and I myself don't know whether it's true or not. So I brought her to you instead of killing her myself." Mimime wasn't sure she liked this development.

"Fang never attacked me," Strawberry said, "he was attacking this." She pointed to the creature at her feet. 

"He was hunting in the middle of a fight?" Mimime asked, not believing her sister.

"No," said Strawberry, "it was going to attack me."

"Attack you?" scoffed Run, "That thing's so small it couldn't hurt a saber if it tried!"

"That's what I thought, but it has fangs-"

"Fangs?" interrupted Run, "oh yes, it does. Tiny ones!"

"Yes, but deadly. When it bit Fang-"

"So you blame Fang's death on a tiny critter with tiny teeth? What a story!" Run scoffed.

"It's true," came a voice.

Mimime whirled around to see a male more red than her. Bright red, a coloring that would've made her laugh another time. He also had a long nose, and his fangs were small and short. One of them had the tip broken off.

"And who are you?" growled Run.

"A saber who usually runs alone. But I like to observe any others from afar. I heard an argument while I was hunting voles and went to check it out." said the red male.

"What's a vole?" Mimime asked.

"A little critter smaller than a rabbit. They often burrow underneath the snow in these parts. Anyways, I saw that there Poison Fanged Stripy Vole get jumped by a male with a black coat. Then they fought that thing, but it bit the male a couple times. A couple bites of poison from one of those things causes some serious illness. It certainly did for the black furred fella."

"I don't believe you!" said Run struggling against Mimime's grasp, "Strawberry could've told you to say this!"

"Well I'm just saying what I truely saw. Anyways I ran off once the fella died. But then I heard this and I had to go check out the second argument. Can't just let the only pack on the mountain kill eachother till nothing's left."

"Why-I don't believe you and I don't care! I'm going to avenge Fang!" Run screamed.

"Run," said Stalker.

She looked at him, crying, "You believe this male? You believe Strawberry? You don't want to avenge your father?"

"If my father truely died to save Strawberry, killing her would be wasting his sacrifice. It would be spitting on his grave. I don't want to risk it. I won't ever fully trust her, but I can't wonder my whole life if I spit on my father's grave," Stalker replied.

"Fine then," said Run, "I'm leaving."

Mimime grabbed her, "Wait until your cubs are born."

"Cubs?" asked Run, confused.

"Yes...I think you'll probably have some soon..." Mimime tried not to bring up again what happened earlier.

"Oh..." said Run, "fine. And you can have them when they are. I don't want to be reminded...of this day."

Stalker and Strawberry looked confused, but their faces said they didn't want to ask. Taisra poked her head out of the hotsprings, "Can I come out now?"

"Yes," said Mimime, unsure what the future held for this poor cub. For their whole pack that was falling apart.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Months Later Love's Curse

Stalker was playing tag with Taisra, his favorite thing to do. He had watched her as a cub whenever Strawberry was hunting or doing something important. But as he ran after her, heart brimming, he realized she wasn't a cub anymore. Her horns, which had not been evident at first, only growing out as she grew, reflected the sunlight. To Stalker, her dark fur was the most beautiful color. He shook his head, she's still a mere cub, I shouldn't think about her this way. He had been merely trotting, but now as they were too far away from the others, he decided to speed up and tag her quickly. As he ran, he easily overtook Taisra. 

"I'm so slow," she grumbled.

"No you're not," insisted Stalker.

"Yes I am! You're just trying to make me feel better," Taisra pointed out.

"Alright, you've got me. I admit it. But you have other talents," he said.

"Like what? I'm neither quick nor strong!" Taisra exclaimed.

"You're stealthy," he said, pointing to her velvet paw, "like me."

"No," she said, "you're much more stealthy, and far quicker."

"I think you'll make a fine hunter some day. You just have to think about your strengths, not your weaknesses." Stalker paused, but continued before Taisra could speak, "Let's walk back to the others, we're a bit far out."

As they walked back, Stalker heard, "well I am leaving!" the voice belonged o Run.

"You promised to stay until your cubs were born! And the time is coming near," Mimime insisted.

"Well I don't care! I'm tired of pretending to not care that everyone's moved on from Fang's death," Run spat.

Stalker walked into the group, "Do you think-"

"Enough!" yelled Strawberry, "I will not have another argument. I will not let anyone in this pack have another argument at such a crucial time. I understand," she said, turning to Run, "you may leave if you wish. I'm sorry I ever brought Fang up that mountain...and I'm sorry for letting an argument distract me from my surroundings."

"Sorry doesn't bring him back," said Run with a hint of malice, "but at least you admit some fault now that you aren't at risk of being killed."

Stalker could see the hurt in Strawberry's eyes. "I will require, however, somebody to go with you and make sure you are safe."

"At least until the birth occurs, to bring the cubs back here," cut in Mimime.

Strawberry looked slightly off-put, but said nothing.

"I think I'll keep the cubs," said Run after a few minutes.

"You must still have someone go with you, either way," Strawberry countered.

"Fine," said Run, "just until the cubs are born. And someone of my choosing."

"Of course," Strawberry replied.

"You," said Run, pointing at Stalker.

"Me...?" Stalker asked, a bit surprised.

"You're the only one who understands even a little bit how I felt when Fang died, and the only one who has no connections to anyone who had a part in his death," Run explained.

"What about Dukkirta?" asked Stalker.

"He's Mimime's mate, and Mimime is Strawberry's sister," Run said in an annoyed tone.

"Oh, right, well-"

"You will go," ordered Strawberry.

Who are you to order me around? Stalker grew angry, but another voice said, the defacto leader, and Taisra's adoptive mother. "Sure," he said, unable to keep his tone even.

1411679705_Screenshot-8_16_20213_17_58PM.thumb.png.0557308f76fd017ab00b52f826a94e9e.png

(ignore the nest, like I said not everything happens exactly as it did in game)

Stalker gazed at the three cubs nursing. He was amazed at the wonder of birth, and was glad he had come. It had been a different feeling just a week ago when a single still-born cub slipped out. Aside from the sadness, there had been an uneasiness when Run seemed to care only a little that one of her cubs was born dead. But all that had passed. Stalker gave Run a rabbit he had caught that morning to eat.

"Thanks," she said, exhausted, getting up to eat.

After a few minutes of her eating and the cubs mewling unhappily, Stalker said, "You should probably let them nurse again."

"I suppose you're right," said Run, laying back down. Then she said, "So, I guess your job is done here."

"Are you sure? I can stay longer if you'd like," said Stalker, I don't think she's capable of caring for them on her own...not the way she's acting.

"No, Strawberry is probably waiting for you. You ought to head back," Run insisted, "I can take care of myself."

Something about her tone is off...but she's right. Strawberry will be expecting me. What if she moves away or, even worse, sends a party searching for me? And I need to get back to Taisra...what if she's in danger or will be?

"Good luck," he said to Run.

"Goodbye," she said, as he turned and walked away.

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Chiyanna said:

Months Later Love's Curse

Stalker was playing tag with Taisra, his favorite thing to do. He had watched her as a cub whenever Strawberry was hunting or doing something important. But as he ran after her, heart brimming, he realized she wasn't a cub anymore. Her horns, which had not been evident at first, only growing out as she grew, reflected the sunlight. To Stalker, her dark fur was the most beautiful color. He shook his head, she's still a mere cub, I shouldn't think about her this way. He had been merely trotting, but now as they were too far away from the others, he decided to speed up and tag her quickly. As he ran, he easily overtook Taisra. 

"I'm so slow," she grumbled.

"No you're not," insisted Stalker.

"Yes I am! You're just trying to make me feel better," Taisra pointed out.

"Alright, you've got me. I admit it. But you have other talents," he said.

"Like what? I'm neither quick nor strong!" Taisra exclaimed.

"You're stealthy," he said, pointing to her velvet paw, "like me."

"No," she said, "you're much more stealthy, and far quicker."

"I think you'll make a fine hunter some day. You just have to think about your strengths, not your weaknesses." Stalker paused, but continued before Taisra could speak, "Let's walk back to the others, we're a bit far out."

As they walked back, Stalker heard, "well I am leaving!" the voice belonged o Run.

"You promised to stay until your cubs were born! And the time is coming near," Mimime insisted.

"Well I don't care! I'm tired of pretending to not care that everyone's moved on from Fang's death," Run spat.

Stalker walked into the group, "Do you think-"

"Enough!" yelled Strawberry, "I will not have another argument. I will not let anyone in this pack have another argument at such a crucial time. I understand," she said, turning to Run, "you may leave if you wish. I'm sorry I ever brought Fang up that mountain...and I'm sorry for letting an argument distract me from my surroundings."

"Sorry doesn't bring him back," said Run with a hint of malice, "but at least you admit some fault now that you aren't at risk of being killed."

Stalker could see the hurt in Strawberry's eyes. "I will require, however, somebody to go with you and make sure you are safe."

"At least until the birth occurs, to bring the cubs back here," cut in Mimime.

Strawberry looked slightly off-put, but said nothing.

"I think I'll keep the cubs," said Run after a few minutes.

"You must still have someone go with you, either way," Strawberry countered.

"Fine," said Run, "just until the cubs are born. And someone of my choosing."

"Of course," Strawberry replied.

"You," said Run, pointing at Stalker.

"Me...?" Stalker asked, a bit surprised.

"You're the only one who understands even a little bit how I felt when Fang died, and the only one who has no connections to anyone who had a part in his death," Run explained.

"What about Dukkirta?" asked Stalker.

"He's Mimime's mate, and Mimime is Strawberry's sister," Run said in an annoyed tone.

"Oh, right, well-"

"You will go," ordered Strawberry.

Who are you to order me around? Stalker grew angry, but another voice said, the defacto leader, and Taisra's adoptive mother. "Sure," he said, unable to keep his tone even.

1411679705_Screenshot-8_16_20213_17_58PM.thumb.png.0557308f76fd017ab00b52f826a94e9e.png

(ignore the nest, like I said not everything happens exactly as it did in game)

Stalker gazed at the three cubs nursing. He was amazed at the wonder of birth, and was glad he had come. It had been a different feeling just a week ago when a single still-born cub slipped out. Aside from the sadness, there had been an uneasiness when Run seemed to care only a little that one of her cubs was born dead. But all that had passed. Stalker gave Run a rabbit he had caught that morning to eat.

"Thanks," she said, exhausted, getting up to eat.

After a few minutes of her eating and the cubs mewling unhappily, Stalker said, "You should probably let them nurse again."

"I suppose you're right," said Run, laying back down. Then she said, "So, I guess your job is done here."

"Are you sure? I can stay longer if you'd like," said Stalker, I don't think she's capable of caring for them on her own...not the way she's acting.

"No, Strawberry is probably waiting for you. You ought to head back," Run insisted, "I can take care of myself."

Something about her tone is off...but she's right. Strawberry will be expecting me. What if she moves away or, even worse, sends a party searching for me? And I need to get back to Taisra...what if she's in danger or will be?

"Good luck," he said to Run.

"Goodbye," she said, as he turned and walked away.

Run is acting immature, methinks

• Like 1
  • Paw up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Breaking Point

Run looked around. She listened, she sniffed the air. Stalker was long gone, it had been an hour since he left. Yet she had to be sure...had to be sure he was gone. That no-one was around.

She looked down at her cubs, feeling a twinge of guilt. Yet as her eyes passed over the one with the crooked snout...the deformed face like his father...the memories flooded back. They haunted her. Now more than ever.

She stood up, and the cubs fell off. They cried, confused and wanting to nurse. 

She started to walk away. It'll be better this way. Otherwise they'll grow up with a mother that is afraid an angry every time she looks at them. And I will never have peace. Something inside told her she wouldn't have peace this way either, that she would never feel peace again.

They were crying, calling for her. Bound to attract predators. And if they don't they'll freeze or starve. Not a pretty way to go....no, someone will find them! They'll be adopted. A sinister voice inside interrupted, "and they'll be just like their father. Breeding more misery, literally!" the sneer sounded real to Run as she looked around, startled. But no-one was there except the mewling cubs she was leaving there in the cold.

No, she thought, suddenly stopping, they're my responsibility. I cannot let either of these things happen. I must do what needs to be done. She turned around, wondering how she was ever going to do what she had to do...

She stopped at the crooked-faced cub and stared at him. The memories hit her like a flood, making her want to look away, but she fixed her gaze on him. Fear, anger, hurt, kill. She made a couple practice swipes at the air, growling and snarling, and then leapt at him. Your rage will carry you through this gruesome task...it's what needs to be done.

Suddenly, something hit Run's side, and she was flying sideways. It was all a blur. Something was on-top of her, no, someone. The male! He's back!

"Don't move. Don't even twitch," she felt fangs being pressed against her neck. But she didn't care. She wasn't afraid of dying, maybe that's the best thing for me, the only thing. But I will take this male with me if it's the last thing I do.

She moved one of her paws, calling his bluff. He looked, changing the position of the fangs to a less deadly one. She jerked her head upwards, slamming it against his. He staggered backwards, disoriented. She took the advantage to whirl around and bowl him over, now she was on-top of him, though he was facing her so she wasn't on his back. It was an awkward position, but one of great advantage. His belly was up.

"Now it's your turn. Are you afraid to die?" she asked putting her fangs on his neck.

"No, but it would do no good at this moment," he answered.

"Why'd you attack me?" she asked, wanting to know the answer before she killed him.

"You were going to kill those cubs," he answered, sincerity in his eyes and voice. But sabers never interfere with other saber's unless it's in their own best interest!

"It's not your business," she said, pushing her fangs into him a bit, so he could feel the sharp point, "is it?"

"I've seen enough evil done on this mountain," he answered. Evil? Pfft. There's no such thing! Only what huts and what helps, what makes you feel happy and upset.

Run saw movement out of the corner of her eye. It was his paw. She was about to impale his neck when she realized something. It wasn't a claw. The male that had done the deplorable thing to her had double claws. So it isn't him. Of course not! What did I think? He was back from the dead?

She momentarily lifted her fangs from his neck, so this is just an innocent...no. Nobody is innocent, and no male is innocent, certainly not one with the crooked face. She was just about to bring them back down when he headed her, pressing his advantage. She was disoriented, but didn't stumble back or let up. He scratched her face. She could tell it was out of desperation, not of spite. But she didn't budge. He drew his back-legs under her and head-butted her again, kicking up with the force of his legs. She was sent into the air, and then hit the thin layer of snow, landing amongst gravel and stone. 

How did the tables turn so quickly? She thought, body aching. She forced herself to her feet, confusion and fear turning to simmering rage. She ignored her pain and whirled around. The male had his back turned to her, strange, but a good advantage for me. She ran a bit and then jumped at him. But he dodged just in time. She landed once more on the hard, gravel filled ground.

And then, a screech. She tried to place it, is someone calling for help? But it didn't sound like the screech of a saber. There was movement behind her, a thump of a landing.

"Nooo!" it was the voice of the male, what's he crying over?

Run rolled onto her back, unable to get up again. She spotted nothing unusual. But then she looked where the male was looking, in the sky. That's when she realized what the screech was. I've only heard of this happening, from Strawberry and Mimime, back when we were like family.

It had taken one of her cubs, well at least now I don't have to kill them... But there was a sadness developing inside of her, why? I was going to kill them myself! She was angry at her weakness. Which one did it take, which one? She rolled back the other way and forced herself to stand, slowly she walked over to the two remaining cubs, now huddling next to the male as he held them beside him. 

She looked closely, and saw only the two males remaining. The most innocent one, the one I might've left, is dead. Because of me. My own cub! I was going to kill my own cubs! I'm a monster. "Are you happy now?" asked the male critically.

She broke down into sobbing.

She could see his shock through the tears, and the confusion in the cubs' eyes.

She collapsed before the male, exhausted and tired of life. Knowing she had become someone she had never wanted to be. "Please, kill me and raise my cubs."

The male shook his head, "No, there's hope for you because you have said such a thing. You see yourself and know there is nothing good in you. It is those who think there is nothing bad in them that are truly gone."

"You don't understand," Run said, "I can't live with myself and I can't force others to live with me. I'm a monster, I'll snap again."

"You're not forcing me," said the male, "I choose to."

Run didn't understand, but she wasn't going to try and force the male to reject her. What if I get angry and go too far? So she simply cried herself to sleep, it was the only thing she could do.

1194292613_Screenshot-8_16_20213_34_23PM.thumb.png.a33cfcec300e2109d7867bc771f94a72.png

(also as always the picture isn't perfect)

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Chiyanna said:

Breaking Point

Run looked around. She listened, she sniffed the air. Stalker was long gone, it had been an hour since he left. Yet she had to be sure...had to be sure he was gone. That no-one was around.

She looked down at her cubs, feeling a twinge of guilt. Yet as her eyes passed over the one with the crooked snout...the deformed face like his father...the memories flooded back. They haunted her. Now more than ever.

She stood up, and the cubs fell off. They cried, confused and wanting to nurse. 

She started to walk away. It'll be better this way. Otherwise they'll grow up with a mother that is afraid an angry every time she looks at them. And I will never have peace. Something inside told her she wouldn't have peace this way either, that she would never feel peace again.

They were crying, calling for her. Bound to attract predators. And if they don't they'll freeze or starve. Not a pretty way to go....no, someone will find them! They'll be adopted. A sinister voice inside interrupted, "and they'll be just like their father. Breeding more misery, literally!" the sneer sounded real to Run as she looked around, startled. But no-one was there except the mewling cubs she was leaving there in the cold.

No, she thought, suddenly stopping, they're my responsibility. I cannot let either of these things happen. I must do what needs to be done. She turned around, wondering how she was ever going to do what she had to do...

She stopped at the crooked-faced cub and stared at him. The memories hit her like a flood, making her want to look away, but she fixed her gaze on him. Fear, anger, hurt, kill. She made a couple practice swipes at the air, growling and snarling, and then leapt at him. Your rage will carry you through this gruesome task...it's what needs to be done.

Suddenly, something hit Run's side, and she was flying sideways. It was all a blur. Something was on-top of her, no, someone. The male! He's back!

"Don't move. Don't even twitch," she felt fangs being pressed against her neck. But she didn't care. She wasn't afraid of dying, maybe that's the best thing for me, the only thing. But I will take this male with me if it's the last thing I do.

She moved one of her paws, calling his bluff. He looked, changing the position of the fangs to a less deadly one. She jerked her head upwards, slamming it against his. He staggered backwards, disoriented. She took the advantage to whirl around and bowl him over, now she was on-top of him, though he was facing her so she wasn't on his back. It was an awkward position, but one of great advantage. His belly was up.

"Now it's your turn. Are you afraid to die?" she asked putting her fangs on his neck.

"No, but it would do no good at this moment," he answered.

"Why'd you attack me?" she asked, wanting to know the answer before she killed him.

"You were going to kill those cubs," he answered, sincerity in his eyes and voice. But sabers never interfere with other saber's unless it's in their own best interest!

"It's not your business," she said, pushing her fangs into him a bit, so he could feel the sharp point, "is it?"

"I've seen enough evil done on this mountain," he answered. Evil? Pfft. There's no such thing! Only what huts and what helps, what makes you feel happy and upset.

Run saw movement out of the corner of her eye. It was his paw. She was about to impale his neck when she realized something. It wasn't a claw. The male that had done the deplorable thing to her had double claws. So it isn't him. Of course not! What did I think? He was back from the dead?

She momentarily lifted her fangs from his neck, so this is just an innocent...no. Nobody is innocent, and no male is innocent, certainly not one with the crooked face. She was just about to bring them back down when he headed her, pressing his advantage. She was disoriented, but didn't stumble back or let up. He scratched her face. She could tell it was out of desperation, not of spite. But she didn't budge. He drew his back-legs under her and head-butted her again, kicking up with the force of his legs. She was sent into the air, and then hit the thin layer of snow, landing amongst gravel and stone. 

How did the tables turn so quickly? She thought, body aching. She forced herself to her feet, confusion and fear turning to simmering rage. She ignored her pain and whirled around. The male had his back turned to her, strange, but a good advantage for me. She ran a bit and then jumped at him. But he dodged just in time. She landed once more on the hard, gravel filled ground.

And then, a screech. She tried to place it, is someone calling for help? But it didn't sound like the screech of a saber. There was movement behind her, a thump of a landing.

"Nooo!" it was the voice of the male, what's he crying over?

Run rolled onto her back, unable to get up again. She spotted nothing unusual. But then she looked where the male was looking, in the sky. That's when she realized what the screech was. I've only heard of this happening, from Strawberry and Mimime, back when we were like family.

It had taken one of her cubs, well at least now I don't have to kill them... But there was a sadness developing inside of her, why? I was going to kill them myself! She was angry at her weakness. Which one did it take, which one? She rolled back the other way and forced herself to stand, slowly she walked over to the two remaining cubs, now huddling next to the male as he held them beside him. 

She looked closely, and saw only the two males remaining. The most innocent one, the one I might've left, is dead. Because of me. My own cub! I was going to kill my own cubs! I'm a monster. "Are you happy now?" asked the male critically.

She broke down into sobbing.

She could see his shock through the tears, and the confusion in the cubs' eyes.

She collapsed before the male, exhausted and tired of life. Knowing she had become someone she had never wanted to be. "Please, kill me and raise my cubs."

The male shook his head, "No, there's hope for you because you have said such a thing. You see yourself and know there is nothing good in you. It is those who think there is nothing bad in them that are truly gone."

"You don't understand," Run said, "I can't live with myself and I can't force others to live with me. I'm a monster, I'll snap again."

"You're not forcing me," said the male, "I choose to."

Run didn't understand, but she wasn't going to try and force the male to reject her. What if I get angry and go too far? So she simply cried herself to sleep, it was the only thing she could do.

1194292613_Screenshot-8_16_20213_34_23PM.thumb.png.a33cfcec300e2109d7867bc771f94a72.png

(also as always the picture isn't perfect)

Unnamed male, let Run live with her mistakes and get the cubs away from her. I want Run to suffer now.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Modiano said:

Unnamed male, let Run live with her mistakes and get the cubs away from her. I want Run to suffer now.

(That's usually what we want when someone does a horrible thing. But I believe in redemption. Also Run would just kill herself if she was left alone and I don't want her to die just yet so... plus the male can't hear you )

32 minutes ago, Chiyanna said:

(That's usually what we want when someone does a horrible thing. But I believe in redemption. Also Run would just kill herself if she was left alone and I don't want her to die just yet so... plus the male can't hear you )

Yes but she shouldn't be let off. I think she wouldn't be allowed to raise her children because of the stunt she pulled

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Modiano said:

Yes but she shouldn't be let off. I think she wouldn't be allowed to raise her children because of the stunt she pulled

(Point taken, though I can't change it now. It will also be painful for her to be around them especially after what she tried to do to them. So I may have her feel guilty all the time at least for a while. Also I may make her infertile from now on)

• 2 weeks later...

Birth and Death

Strawberry cried and wailed. She knew now how Run must've felt when Fang died. A wave of greif hit her.

And what she had been talking about, moments before...the guilt came too. And the feeling that she had been not just selfish, but stupid. She now realized the thing she had proposed was impossible.

"I-I am sorry. I couldn't do anything. But I should've tried. I should've been more prepared....maybe ran to get you guys..." Taisra said between sobbing.

Taisra was the only one there when it happened, Strawberry and Dukkirta had been out hunting. Again the guilt came back, she hadn't been here. And she and Dukkirta had been talking...aranging something...well it wasn't like I was going to go behind her back! Even now she tried to defend herself, and so she knew that it had been wrong.

Dukkirta was sobbing beside Strawberry. "You did all you could," he finally managed, "I should have been here." He made his way over to his dead mate.

Mememe had been old, too old to start a family. She had been unexperianced. In fact, none of them had any experiance, except perhaps Dukkirta. It was only supposed to be a short hunting trip, and Dukkirta was meant to be back. But he wasn't. And that was my fault too. 

Strawberry was crying so much that she shook. She fell down on her face, unable to stand. But Dukkirta, tears still streaming, was looking at something else beside his mate's dead body. A squirming bundle. The thing that had killed Mimeme merely by existing, the thing that Strawberry had always wanted more than anything else.

She forced herself to her feet. They needed her now. She would never have cubs of her own, but she would try and make things right by raising her sister's. 

She knew that females could lactate for cubs not their own, but what if I'm too old? She began to collect herself enough to walk to them. Just the fact that they were here was a miracle, she realized. Mimeme should have never been able to conceive this late, or to bring the birth to term. If her body could do all that to bring them into the world, Strawberry was sure herd could simply sustain them.

(no pictures this post, sorry!)

• Sad 3

A New Start Month 5

658719136_Screenshot-9_14_20217_31_33AM.thumb.png.b503bb0ac26c79822455ca0af67086c1.png

The male was named Duktapri...and he was odd but kindhearted.

"I serve a god named Vergewe. He is the only one I found that actually loves sabers. One of the few that values life," he told her.

"What's a god?" asked Run, never having heard this word before.

"It's a higher being than us that looks after us. Usually they have many powers and can't die. My tribe used to have many gods. But they were cruel and didn't protect them one bit," Duktapri explained.

"How do you know they were cruel?" Run asked, curious.

Duktapri's eyes turned dark, "The sacrifices they required. Most of them required food, but when your tribe was starving and you had to throw food into the ocean..."

"I see," said Run, "it was an awful stupid thing to do."

"They thought the gods would grant them more food and warmth, but it never happened, at least not in my lifetime," Duktapri said.

"Sad," said Run.

"And it gets worse. They used to sacrifice nichelings. Wanderers, prisoners, the weak or undesirable. Sometimes even a strong nicheling. Just hoping for the blessing of the gods. But the more they did it, the worse things got! They used to throw cubs into the ocean...and they would drown or freeze to death..."

Suddenly run heard someone screaming her name. No, it wasn't her name. It was a desperate command. "Run! RUN! RUN!" She heard the ice cracking all around her. And then right behind her, the loudest crack she had ever heard and a splash. "Mom! Mom!" But she was already sinking, disappearing from view. "Help!" she yelled repeatedly. Then a male came and snatched her up in his jaws, running with her. "No! Mom!" he had misunderstood, or perhaps he knew her mother was a goner. As they approached the edge, Run could see sabers scrambling in the water, trying to get bacdk up on the ice. But the male yelled something to them, and many of them turned and began swimming the other way. He slipped into the water and then Run was very cold and scared. Water was below her, the male was the only thing holding her just inches above her death...

"Oh...I'm sorry," a voice brought her back to the present.

"How were you to know my whole family...my whole tribe...died in the freezing ocean when I was a cub?" Run asked, letting him know what it was she was thinking of.

Duktapri was shocked, it was really the first time she had shocked him with anything she said, but also his eyes flooded with sympathy, "When their ways finally caught up to them, most of my tribe perished too. Some were washed off the island into the cold ocean and died there. I actually didn't care about most of them. I was glad they suffered the same fate as the cubs they threw in there. I repent of it every day."

"They deserved it," spat Run.

"So do you," he said, there was no vehemence, it was a softly spoken thing. But it cut right through her. I am just as horrible as that tribe that sacrificed their cubs to the gods. I was going to kill them for no reason. Other than myself. I was sacrificing them to me.

"We're low on food," Duktapri announced, "you should go hunt."

Run wasn't the best hunter, but she nodded. She wouldn't trust herself alone with the cubs, "If I did anything to hurt them I'd have to throw myself into the ocean."

Duktapri had a glint of worry in his eyes, but said nothing except, "Good luck hunting."

"Thank you," said Run, and she ran off in search of rabbits.

-

Run was thinking, which probably didn't help her already dismal hunting skills. But she couldn't stop. She remembered what had happened once the male had got to shore. He had barely survived a few hours, and Run was on her own then. Strawberry and Mimime came the next day and adopted her. How could I ever have been so mad at Strawberry? If it wasn't for her I would've died that very day! Or within the week. 

She didn't even really kill Fang according to her and Dukkirta. Sure, I didn't believe them, but it was because I was angry and looking for someone to blame. And even if she killed him in self-defence, I attempted to do worse. And one of my own cubs died because of it!

Suddenly, she saw another rabbit. She crouched closer, and then sprung on it. But she missed. And it ran faway from her. But it was running toward Duktapri and the cubs. Thinking fast, she kept chasing it. And it kept running in blind fear. Then, somebody caught and killed it. She looked at the catcher and saw that to her shock, it was one of her cubs, the one Duktapri had named Kudonvan.

"Good job!" she encouraged him. The cub glowed in her praise, and again she felt a pang of guilt that she had despised this cub's existence and plotted to take it's life. She no longer saw just his twisted snout, now she saw a fine hunter.

1093662366_Screenshot-9_14_20217_43_25AM.thumb.png.3938cc1baba8273c78b5b45ea6d7ba5d.png

• Like 1

Also Stalker caught some food! He was out hunting when Mimeme died.

883038271_Screenshot-9_14_20217_46_32AM.thumb.png.43223472fe7275ed01d8a1ae7bbfbd5f.png

AND here finally is a picture of that:

841170212_Screenshot-9_14_20217_48_42AM.thumb.png.da08e99fd8a891352a0dd345bdfb4d10.png

(don't mind the day counter, storywise this happened before the above post, tho it really doesn't matter actually. In this picture Strawberry takes on the cubs as her own.)

• Like 1

Forgivness Month 7

Run had never felt so happy in her life, and immediately she wanted to forgive others too. As she went about her rabbit hunt she finally forgave Strawberry for Fang's death. She forgave Mimime too, and the creature that had bit him. Because she now realized Strawberry's story had probably been true. She also forgave herself for how she had acted that day and the days before she left the pack.

But then she came to the twisted-snout male. Her heart darkened as she thought of him. She couldn't forgive him...and she certainly couldn't forgive herself for what she had done to her own cubs. Vergwe may have forgiven her, and also Duktapri, the cubs themselves may have forgotten what transpired on that day...but one day themselves would understand the gravity of it and be angry with her. Maybe she thought that if she forgave herself that she was saying what she did really wasn't that bad, but in reality if it wasn't wrong she wouldn't have to forgive. Maybe she wanted to be haunted by it, punished by it, maybe she wanted to suffer. 

She barely noticed the movement beside her, but she turned quickly, fear rising up in her. Before she could think her reflexes caused her to scratch in a panicked flurry. What have I done? for a moment she saw one of her sons sitting there, but when she blinked he was gone. An injured rabbit in his place.

980391483_Screenshot-9_14_20217_59_00AM.thumb.png.ae84bfa9754477e049480b4f568d16b7.png

Immediately, she felt relieved. But she was still unnerved. As she put the poor creature out its misery, she remembered that Duktapri had talked about something like this before. Visions he had called them...said they were sent by Vergwe and often revealed important things. Had what she had seen been a warning? Was she going to have to throw herself into the ocean after all?

32180659_Screenshot-9_14_20217_59_41AM.thumb.png.d0fac068c13ac7b4b0bcff8d223509e9.png

She brought the meat back to Duktapri and her sons. 

Duktapri immediately knew something was off, "What's wrong?" he asked.

"I...had a vision," Run said cautiously.

Duktapri immediately knew to send the cubs away, "Go play," he told them, and the two boys who were now big enough to not have to worry about birds scampered away to play together.

They walked back up and sat down to talk near a permanent nest. "Tell me what happened."

1450452726_Screenshot-9_14_20218_04_40AM.thumb.png.1a17a8a8b7318881dd5bc6d856214a8f.png

"Well...I was thinking of how I had nearly murdered my cubs again, and all the sudden I saw movement next to em and freaked out. I scratched at it thinking it may be a threat, but I saw my son sitting there wounded by me. Then, when I blinked I saw it was only a rabbit," recounted Run.

"You do know Vergwe has forgiven you for the horrible thing you tried to do, and what resulted from it. So have I," said Duktapri.

"Yes I know, but I can't forgive myself. What if it happens again?" Run asked, eyes wide.

"By holding onto your anger against yourself, you make it more likely to happen again. That is what the vision means," said Duktapri convincingly.

"So it doesn't mean it will happen again?" asked Run hopefully.

"Not necessarily. But if you keep holding onto your guilt and fear it might," Duktapri counseled.

Run nodded, "Thanks for helping me decipher it."

"It's what I do," said Duktapri simply.

"I have something else on my mind," Run said after a minute.

"Tell me," said Duktapri.

"I want to go see my adoptive mother Strawberry and forgive her in person, and allow her to forgive me in person," Run announced.

"That is a great idea," said Duktapri happily.

Run knew he wouldn't be so happy with what she was about to say, "I don't want her to know about what...what I almost did."

"Here comes your own unforgiveness again!" Duktapri warned.

"No," said Run, "it's not about me feeling insecure about it! It's about me wanting us to be able to forgive the past and have a relationship after that."

"Relationships built on a false pretense are not healthy ones," mused Duktapri.

"But she loves cubs just as much as you, and isn't as forgiving. She doesn't know about Vergwe nor would it change her mind. She would probably disown me. I'm not going all the way back to get disowned!" Run insisted.

"I won't tell her against your wishes," Duktapri said, "but I advise you to tell her. It would be a mistake to build your new trust on a lie."

"Not everyone walks around telling their deepest darkest secrets," Run teased.

"The world would be a better place if they did," Duktapri said.

• Like 2

Mimime's Legacy

"We should move away from my sister's body," said Strawberry, "it doesn't help the kits to be reminded of her death, and predators could be attracted here by it." Strawberry's eyes were glazed with sadness as she looked once more at Mimime, her body now decaying. They had tried to burry it but between no proper place to bury and the need of the pack to find food...

"My old pack..." suddenly said Taisra, "used to burry bodies in the ocean."

"How do you remember that?" asked Strawberry, surprised.

"I don't know," said Taisra, "It just came to me all the sudden." Maybe her memories about life before she was encased in ice are returning.

"Well, it's a good thing in my book!" Strawberry encouraged. She looked back at her sister's body as they moved with the cubs, we don't have the strength or time to drag her all the way to the ocean. "I...don't know what to do." Strawberry sadly admitted, "if we burry her, we put the pack in peril."

"We must protect her cubs and honor her memory," said Taisra, "it is what Mimime would've wanted that. We can't do anything for her burial now. She wouldn't want us to die trying."

Strawberry realized Taisra was right. "I'm proud of you," she told Taisra, "for helping me make this tough decision."

Taisra nodded. Sadness was still in the eyes of both of them as they began walking with the cubs. Progress was slow as they tried to herd them and nudge them along.

Somewhere, Dukkirta and Stalker were busy hunting.

A couple days passed this way. The pack was starting to go hungry, and so some members had to be constantly hunting. One day, suddenly the eldest cub darted away from the others, after a rabbit. Sianami pounced at it clumsily while running, and ended up falling on her face and missing the rabbit.

Strawberry walked over to her with soft eyes. "You'll get it next time if you train and listen to your older packmates."

Sianami had tears in her eyes, but nodded. 

"Go back to your siblings and Taisra now," ordered Strawberry, "I'll bring back a rabbit for dinner."

Strawberry smiled as the Sianami bounded back and started wrestling with one of her siblings, Taisra closely observing to be sure nobody got hurt.

1487693569_Screenshot-9_14_20218_06_47AM.thumb.png.d2c45c560f947100ef17586faaa152e0.png

• Like 2