Stray Fawn Community

Children of Evil

Nightfire

Welcome to the Isle of Sins, an island of nichelings created by the bad traits of the world used to make the most perfect nichelings of all time.

20210813221913_1.thumb.jpg.ad036436ff7d4b79cfcb7a51600445a8.jpg

The nichelings of the island are the four different traits of evil turned into mortals as to create the most perfect nichelings of all time; all the bad traits a nicheling can have taken from them and given to the Children of Evil and taking the Evil's good traits and giving them to the perfect nichelings, called Commons.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From left to right:

Outrage - taking all the vengeful, angry and rage-filled traits from Commons. They are the twin sibling of Ambition, and both are half-bearyena.

Sanity - taking all the insanity, breaking-point traits from Commons. They are the most common of the Children, since after losing sanity they can present traits of Ambition, Outrage and Trickery.

Ambition - taking all the jealous, ambitious and selfish traits from Commons. They are the twin sibling of Outrage, and both are half-bearyena.

Trickery - taking all the manipulative, chaotic and cunning traits from Commons. They are the rarest of the Children, usually having healing abilities to better manipulate with.

Common - the forms of perfection. These rare nichelings only exhibit good traits, and are discovered through their lack of horns that mark the Children. Sadly, due to the fact they're so heavily modified to be perfect, they are unable to reproduce and are extra-prone to damage.

Commons are also typically tribe leaders, whereas all the Children have no good leadership skills and would drive the tribe to destruction. They are the only forms of nichelings with genders that they typically fluctuate between, and have no attractions due to not wanting to do anything 'bad'. This story was written by an aroace genderfluid person so you shouldn't be surprised by the amount of self-insertion the Commons have

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that this story will likely be on hold for a bit while I work on Frozen Empire. Just wanted to get this thing out before writers block steals my knees

• Eek! 1
  • Love 1

Oh, this looks interesting. A lot of things are already left hidden about the characters and settings. I mean, just how were the nichelings created? How do they feel about their current situation? And what even defines 'good' and 'evil' when some nichelings are nothing but negative traits and others nothing but positive traits? I hope to see how this turns out...

• Eek! 1

Chapter 1 - Dark Beginnings

Perspective of Common

20210813221913_1.thumb.jpg.ad036436ff7d4b79cfcb7a51600445a8.jpg

Common was confused.

A second ago, she had been a regular nicheling, with bearyena hind legs and nimble fingers with a runner's leg, scorpion tail and ram horns with the ability to heal others. But now, she had no recollection of that at all, and even that figure with everything on it she was certain she was in seemed unreal and hazy. But now, she had drifted into a small bay, far away from all those weird memories.

Pulling out of the ocean and onto the sand, Common shook herself off, looking around the small peninsula. 2 bearyena-hybrid children were looking at a red nicheling, with short, viper-like fangs, of whom was looking at the other nichelings suspiciously. Next to Common, a beautiful nicheling with a scorpion tail pulled themselves in to take up as little area as possible, soaking and shaking sand off their pelt.

"Hello? Who are you all?" Common glanced around the group, all of whom turned to look at her.

"I'm Outrage." Said the darker brown of the bearyena hybrids. They pointed to the lighter-colored one. "That's Ambition, my sibling."

"You all couldn't have the minimum of etiquette getting out of that water?" The scorpion-tailed nicheling let out a short sigh. "I'm Trickery, by the way."

"S-Sorry." Common pulled away from Trickery a bit, wiping sand and water off her fur.

"IT'S NOT MY FAULT WATER IS WET AND SAND IS STICKY." Outrage yelled at Trickery.

Trickery stared at Outrage condescendingly. The red nicheling sighed, and Outrage silenced out of surprise.

"I'm Sanity." The red nicheling explained. Their eyes had a strange blankness and they looked ticked off.

"Well... I'm glad I can get to know you all now." Common said awkwardly. "We should go in land. Our fur will dry from air, right?"

Sanity nodded. "I'm ready to go."

Ambition grinned. "FIRST ONE ON THE MAINLAND IS THE NEW LEADER!"

Trickery sighed. "Guess being loud is genetic."

20210815174237_1.thumb.jpg.32d16f2680d141e7593cd22dde35e7e2.jpg

The group reached the mainland, and Common was blinded by the grasses. Sweeping it out of the way, he tore it out of the ground, letting himself and Sanity see better.

"No no no! Don't do that!" Trickery peeked out from behind Sanity, pointing their paw to Common.

"Oh? Why not?" Common held onto the strands of ripped grass as if they were treasures.

"We're not going to stay here, are we? Bearyenas will be unable to find where we've been if the grass is still here." Trickery pointed out. "We're lucky this grass regrows."

"Why do you need to be so careful all the time?" Ambition argued back. "That's a leader's job, not yours."

"That's basic logic." Trickery retorted. "Would you rather get eaten or stay alive?"

Ambition glared at them. "Nothing would eat me, especially a bearyena. I'm one of them!"

"Stop fighting!" Common nearly climbed over Sanity. "We're still figuring out this place, it's not good to argue already."

Ambition rolled their eyes, but Trickery nodded, their eyes morphing to look strangely innocent and docile. "Common's right, Ambition. We should listen to him for now, until we can think of a proper leader. Picked by everyone together, of course." They added.

Ambition glared at the two. "Alright.. for now."

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sparklepop said:

I'm liking the story and characters so far, but I got a few questions.

Common is genderfluid and the rest are nonbinary, right? I just need to make sure so I don't misgender them in later comments.

yep!

• Paw up 1

Chapter 2 - Obsession

Perspective of Sanity

20210815174319_1.thumb.jpg.6c9e21a2851a8e4f501f5596313482e1.jpg

Sanity walked away from Ambition and Trickery, heading over to the shores. They looked at the water, and saw it drenched in blood with bodies floating in it for a second, before blinking and watching it turn to blue again. Rubbing their head, they looked over as Outrage was flopping around like a beached squid, screeching like a banshee.

Outrage eventually got to see Sanity, watching them with their usual blank expression, somewhat amused. Outrage's face turned into fury.

"HELP ME OUT, MAYBE?" They flipped around again, spraying sand into the sea. "THIS LITTLE CRAP WON'T GET OFF ME!"

Sanity raised an eyebrow. "Your attitude to this sure makes me not want to help you."

Outrage straightened, staring Sanity in the eyes. "If you don't fix your attitude, I'll feed you to a blue bird."

Sanity was beginning to lose their patience. They saw flashes of Outrage, dead with their throat torn out, and knew they needed to calm themselves. "What do you need anyways?"

"Now you're willing to cooperate." Outrage sighed, turning themselves over to reveal their back. A small yellow leech had grabbed onto them, slowly draining out their blood of which melted into their fur. "Kill this thing for me."

Sanity felt a strange sensation drift over them, a feeling of murderous desire that was almost impossible to resist, mesmerizing even. Paw twitching strangely, Sanity reached out, and grabbed the leech, watching it twist in their paw trying to escape or latch onto Sanity themselves. Grabbing it with their other paw, they gave into the urge, and torn the leech in half. They then dropped the leech, watching its dying body let out a few dying twitches before lying on the grass, unmoving.

"That feels.. so much better.." Outrage had also calmed themselves, rubbing their shoulder blades together happily. They used water to wipe the blood off their back. Sanity took their eyes off the dead leech for a moment, turning their hauntingly emotionless gaze to Outrage.

After a second, the hybrid straightened. They turned towards Sanity. "Thanks.. I guess."

Sanity felt a new sensation wash over them; a feeling of usefulness and acceptance. An urge to keep Outrage alive and make sure nobody ever hurt them; like an obsession with them. "It-it was nothing."

Night fell, and Sanity spelt some time thinking of all that had happened on the island so far. Outrage and Ambition were siblings, and seemed to know what they were doing more than anyone else. Trickery was so obviously trying to impress Common, it was funny. and Common was just.. the center of everything. The eye of a hurricane.

All their lives seemed to revolve around Common's.. and Sanity had no idea why they wanted to keep that cycle alive so much. It made them feel useful, but also used. Proud, but also jealous. They felt that Common was the missing link to keeping Sanity sane, but also the cause of Sanity's possible insanity.

Mind hurting from all this thought, Sanity drifted asleep.

• Like 3

Chapter 3A - The Wanderer

Perspective of Sanity

20210815174450_1.thumb.jpg.1fa48d4cec3ce33ef4a8ab13e4ca22c4.jpg

Rain began to fall down towards the island, coating the sky in gray clouds and the ground in cold water. Outrage had dipped into the water, washing a leech wound they had obtained. Common, Trickery, and Ambition had all come down from the berry bushes, and the group began to travel again.

Sanity was grabbing a few extra berries from a berry bush, when suddenly their had hit someone else's. Pulling back quickly, they looked up at the same time as Ambition to see an orange female.

"A Common? In the wild?" Trickery peeked from around Sanity to see her as well.

"A Common wouldn't steal berries." Ambition stared at the female suspiciously. She turned to look at Ambition.

"These are my berries! I've had claim over this area for a very long time. So I suggest you move along quickly before I decide to chase you off." The orange female certainly wasn't acting like a Common.

"You're not a Common, but you don't have horns either.." Ambition stared at the female in confusion, but no fear.

"A non-Common without horns on this island?" Outrage had climbed onto the sand. "So just.. a normal nicheling? Nothing special?"

"We can have her come with us and ask her what's up with this island!" Common suggested.

"I'm not going anywhere, and certainly not with you little thieves." The orange female growled. She swiped defensively at Ambition, who swerved out of the way.

Outrage surged out of the water, face twisted in anger. "Don't you touch them!"

They launched past Ambition, shoving them backwards, straight at the female. She looked in fear at them as Ambition shoved her down.

"Wait! Outrage!" Common raced forwards, but it was too late.

20210815174522_1.thumb.jpg.524cb98c50fa2d728389e2f2c687c74d.jpg

Wiping blood off their snout as rain cleansed the rest of their fur, Outrage looked at the body of the female.

"Why would you kill her?" Common looked down at the body in sadness, but no anger at all.

"She was threatening Ambition. Surely you would understand, that was merely self-defense." Sanity pointed out.

"Yeah but-" Common trailed off. The sky was darkening as he stared at the body, tears undisguisable from rain.

"She proved no use to us anyways." Trickery added. "Usually once their purpose is complete, they have no use. She never had a purpose, just to sit around and attack children. No purpose, no use."

Common stared at Trickery, speechless. "You.. seriously don't mean that.."

"I agree with Trickery." Sanity chimed in. "If something is in our way and not with us, then they have no use and therefore are a waste of food."

Common looked between the two. "You're.. insane.."

Sanity shrugged. "That's what my name means."

"Why would you say that!?" Trickery sounded so distraught. "You can't even consider another point of view before saying someone's insane? You're such a prejudicial hypocrite!"

"Oh god. Trickery, I'm so sorry!" Common, you're so naïve and innocent. It makes me want to cry. "Could you please explain to me what you mean by that? Then I'll be able to understand it better!"

"Of course!" Trickery smiled. "That'll make you a better, more open-minded person."

Sanity exchanged a glance with Outrage, who just shrugged. Trickery and Common walked off, talking in their overly expressive voices that made Sanity want to snap someone's neck. Following them slowly, the sun began to set.

Chapter 3B - A Selfish Lesson

Perspective of Trickery

20210815174608_1.thumb.jpg.202da5d46cb4c261b46d8646a5f7a8d2.jpg

Trickery stepped over the blossoming flowers, sniffing the air as they walked next to the rabbit burrow.

"What did you want to show me?" Common followed Trickery's gaze. "The rabbit burrow?"

Trickery shook their head. "No. The rabbits are around, and I need to find and hunt them."

Common sounded shocked. "Hunt them!? What have they done?"

"That's their purpose. To be hunted." Trickery began to following a scent. "Once they've completed that purpose, they've been a use. A rabbit's use is to feed us, so we can survive and thrive."

Common gave no comment, gazing at Trickery in speechlessness.

20210815174631_1.thumb.jpg.4c8610ecb1173bc4b5c18ecb119d95ec.jpg

With a fast leap and quick grab, Trickery had the rabbit in their hands. Coiling their tail upwards, they stabbed it with the poisonous tip, although not letting out any venom. Dropping the rabbit, it took a few final steps before slipping on the sand, and dying.

"There. Now, it's purpose has been fulfilled." Trickery glanced up at Common, smiling at her. "We get to eat thanks to the rabbit. A fair trade."

Common looked at the rabbit. "Well.. I feel bad for it, but.. if it's to help others.. I suppose it's fine."

Trickery picked up the body. "Good! You're learning."

They gave Common a pat on the head before walking off, leaving the foolish nicheling on its own, staring out at the water. Once out of view from Common and anyone else, their bright smile and kind eyes faded into complete expressionlessness.

You too have served your purpose. Now fade back into nothingness until I bring you back myself.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Wow, Common's so naïve and innocent. That's not going to bode well with two nichelings with anger issues and one who is clearly in it for themselves. Hopefully they'll learn that the world is not all sunshine and butterflies without losing their optimism. Trickery is also pretty smart. Outrage and Sanity clearly have some anger issues and cannot fully cooperate, but Trickery is pragmatic and seems to be a team player. I just hope they can deal with Outrage's aggression and Sanity's well, issues. I don't know much about Ambition yet, since they seem to be a bit in the background. But they seem confident.

(I feel bad for that orange nicheling, but they really don't have much of a use. All of the characters are biologically female and could therefore not breed with her. Common already fills the niche of a moderate, speedy nicheling, and she doesn't add any new benefits to the tribe. Still sad that she died so early, though).

• Thanks 1
  • Paw up 1

1 hour ago, Sparklepop said:

Wow, Common's so naïve and innocent. That's not going to bode well with two nichelings with anger issues and one who is clearly in it for themselves. Hopefully they'll learn that the world is not all sunshine and butterflies without losing their optimism. Trickery is also pretty smart. Outrage and Sanity clearly have some anger issues and cannot fully cooperate, but Trickery is pragmatic and seems to be a team player. I just hope they can deal with Outrage's aggression and Sanity's well, issues. I don't know much about Ambition yet, since they seem to be a bit in the background. But they seem confident.

(I feel bad for that orange nicheling, but they really don't have much of a use. All of the characters are biologically female and could therefore not breed with her. Common already fills the niche of a moderate, speedy nicheling, and she doesn't add any new benefits to the tribe. Still sad that she died so early, though).

I was thinking for Common, a character who is solely good, including with characters representing cunning and anger and whatnot, they would be too trusting, too kind, and too forgiving. Outrage is nearly unable to be kind as they're ticked off by the smallest things, Trickery is absolutely untrustworthy and too scheming to ever think of anyone as friend or equal, Sanity will snap at any moment, making them pretty much unable to be friends or close with. Ambition is selfish and will use anyone they can to reach the top, but considering they don't have any cunning due to Trickery, they won't even leave anyone alive if they really do try and take leadership.

Common is the complete opposite of all of them, making for a 'perfect' nicheling of only good and nice genes. But considering how easily manipulated and how little they really think for themselves, they're so vulnerable to every nicheling in the tribe. It'll be difficult for them to think for themselves since they're literally made to trust and forgive others with no genetic way to balance it.

Seeing as they can't really settle conflict without letting both parties off to easily, and everyone else will only work for themselves and no for the sake of the entire tribe, nobody can really be a sole leader without the tribe failing to work. So we'll see how that vote Trickery suggested turns out..

• Like 2

Chapter 4 - First Threats

Perspective of Sanity

20210815174755_1.thumb.jpg.1b6bccf57fbfd70f4f7a8aff178075f2.jpg

A few days had passed since the group had run into the orange nicheling. All of the group had created a sort of temporary camp to gather food at. Sanity and Trickery were getting along well enough, being the only two in the group who could eat the toxic berries. Outrage and Ambition were snacking on the regular berries, and Common was staring out into the grasses, seeming suspicious of something.

"You seem worried, Common." Ambition had also noticed Common's aloof behavior. "What's happening?"

"I think I heard something out there." Common responded. By now, the rest of the group was looking at her.

"Nonsense! Nothing would threaten us. Look at how strong we are!" Outrage's claw flexed.

"I'm sure it's not a threat." Common commented. "Maybe just another one of those purple crabs."

"Well. Let's see what it is." Trickery stood up from their cozy nest, trotting right past Outrage and Common. "Can't be that dangerous."

Swiping grass out of the way, Trickery turned back to Common. "See. Nothing. Just your mind playing tricks on you."

"I suppose you're-" Common started. A great brown-black figure had appeared behind Trickery, its shadow looming over the entire camp.

Trickery noticed everyone's change in gaze, and turned around.

20210815174928_1.thumb.jpg.a17b536872e7334d6dd9dff252f25675.jpg

A low growl came from its throat; a bearyena had come to the camp, and it was hungry.

• Like 1
  • Eek! 2

Chapter 5 - Island's Welcoming

Perspective of Common

20210815175117_1.thumb.jpg.8eed40c9ebfb123a03e8f8f213c3a995.jpg

Trickery jumped away immediately, following Ambition in their pursuit into unknown grasses. Common ran out, keeping an eye on the entire group, before noticing Outrage race towards the bearyena, glaring and snarling up at it.

"Outrage! Come on, you idiot!" Sanity yelled back. Common was surprised that, Sanity, of all nichelings, had yelled out. She watched as Sanity jumped back and grabbed Outrage by the leg, practically dragging them out. Outrage snapped at Sanity, then stopped as they realized the rest of the group running out.

"Why don't we try to fight back?" Outrage had picked up the pace. They turned to Ambition. "We can fight it!"

"You can. I'd rather stay alive, thankyouverymuch." Common was shocked that Ambition would say such a thing to their sibling, but then something in the grass caught her eye.

20210815175202_1.thumb.jpg.fb71a79c8e56b0fa86e4f655dff853fa.jpg

A blind, orange male was trying to crawl up a stump to get a sight they would never see. Sanity flexed their claw, silently stalking up to the male, looking like an unstoppable thirst was pushing them forwards. 

"Sir! Run away!" Common called up to him. Ambition and Sanity looked at Common, confused. "There's a bearyena in those grasses."

The orange male stumbled away into grasses on the opposite side of Common. Common was happy, while Ambition and Sanity were both a bit disappointed. Common climbed up onto the stump, looking around for any sign of the bearyena.

20210815175305_1.thumb.jpg.a9ecca583fda1925adf29c93e05c772a.jpg

"I think it's gone." She said after a moment. "We can settle here for now, I suppose."

Trickery smiled. Then we can have our election. How convenient."

Common was happy that her friend wasn't in any more danger, but they had gotten a taste of the Island's Welcoming. And a small bit of her she rushed into the darkness was doubting that the group would be as lucky again.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Chapter 6 - Adulthood

Perspective of Outrage

20210815175346_1.thumb.jpg.0417c50362537943b539d35e04383777.jpg

A little while after the bearyena encounter, the group had all aged into adults. Outrage was letting out their anger on the grasses (which Common recommended they do, so that they wouldn't attack anyone else, which Outrage wanted to object to but Trickery did make a good point of how they nearly got killed by the bearyena) when their claw hit something. Swiping away the grass, they saw a large, tan-brown rock spiking out of the ground, an unnatural appearance on the calm grasslands.

Upon closer inspection, they saw small, yellow-orange shapes moving across the length of the object. And small steps over their paws. Looking down, the yellow things were all over the ground, crawling across Outrage's claws and into their fur.

In surprise and anger, Outrage began slamming their claws into the ground, rearing up and shaking wildly. The yellow things raced back towards the brown object, and once Outrage was satisfied, they began to tear at the brown thing.

After a long moment, Outrage made a crack in the brown rock. But instantly, red bugs erupted into motion from the crack, climbing onto Outrage's claws. And they began to bite. The bites stung, and Outrage yowled in pain, shoving the top off the rock into the river. Ambition came over.

20210815175420_1.thumb.jpg.b6335f5e22a6e26ee7f75e7c9803af34.jpg

"What are you doing? You look like a bird stuck in berry juice." Ambition turned to inspect the stump of the brown thing.

"These little- ow!- red nuisances- keep- ow!- biting me-!" Outrage let out a long growl, backing up, and stumbling into the poisonous berry bush. Rubbing its leaves against the bitten fur, they managed to get off the last of the red bugs.

Ambition looked at Outrage in amused surprise. "What did you plan on doing before those things bit you?"

Outrage turned to the stump, feeling bursts of heat and anger consume them. They slammed their claws into the top of the opened nest, grabbing handfuls of the red bugs, and crushing them. But the bugs began scattering, and Outrage began to tear at the stump itself.

Ambition watched as the brown thing's population was reduced from thousands to tens under their sibling's claws. They didn't look particularly concerned, instead a bit interested. Once Outrage was done, Ambition turned to them. "Do you think I could be as strong as that?"

Outrage was still fuming, and let out a strangely emotion-filled huff. "Probably."

Outrage walked off into the grasses, returning to their work. But then they looked back. Ambition was at the nest, staring at the remains of the once-plentiful home. They poked at the destruction, their mind clicking into a weird puzzle. Outrage decided to continue into the grass, not giving the rock a second thought. But they could feel Ambition's unnervingly interested gaze linger on them for a bit too long for comfort.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 7 - The Winged Wanderers

Perspective of ?

Slate scampered through the thick grasses with quiet paws, keeping his awkward bat wing concealed against his side and his three remaining paws guide him through the grasses. When he began to reach the final stretch to the shores, he smelled unfamiliar scents. He went to stop, but tripped over the lack of a root he would use to perch on, over the the grasses onto the shorelines. Now, the root was gone, and it gave way to a large clearing, with new scents lingering in it.

20211008221230_1.thumb.jpg.3477b72e945c64c6774954dabfea464d.jpg

A sand-colored nicheling with bat stripes and a strange scorpion tail was stuffing toxic berries into their paws, before turning to spot Slate.

"Who are you?" The nicheling spoke of the common language. Slate decided to test them.

He stood up, brushing his fur off. He began to speak in his native tongue. "You're new from around here?"

The nicheling blinked at him with confusion.

Slate turned back to common language. "Definitely new from around here."

"I thought you were a diseased wombat for a moment!" the nicheling laughed. "What's your name?"

Slate scanned the nicheling. They had a scorpion tail curled calmly around their paws, the dangerous tip concealed. Their paws were equipped for gathering, and their fur was sleek and their form was lithe. But Slate's expression twisted as he saw the nicheling's horns, a sign of an Evil. The nicheling's gems glinted with blue coloring, meaning they were an Evil of Trickery. Their eyes were equally as haunting as he'd expect.

"Slate." he tried to keep this tone even. "You?"

"Trickery!" the nicheling beamed a bit, unfurling their paw to release a few berries, the toxic seeds torn off. "You hungry?"

Pretty simple, Slate thought. "I don't need food at the moment."

The nicheling nodded a bit. "Alright."

Slate padded past the nicheling, letting out a relieved breath when they were out of earshot. All they had to do was meet up with Nibluis, and the pair could head upstream and avoid this group of Evils.

But then, to his horror, he saw his friend standing under a dark-red nicheling. He raced over.

20211008221336_1.thumb.jpg.caf01b03ed4ef8bfc561446ea60b668b.jpg

"Hold on hold on!" Slate raced over. This nicheling was looking down at Nibluis hauntingly, having horns and the color of green. Sanity.

The nicheling turned. Their eyes were blank.

"Don't hurt her. She's with me."

Nibluis was holding a cluster of broken clams in her open paw. She crept over to Slate.

20211008221355_1.thumb.jpg.6ebc67279e5b5175ccb18f654c532b2d.jpg

(The following is in the native island language)

"Slate! What the heck is happening.. is there a new group of-"

"I believe so. And I don't thing they understand Sinash."

"Alright. What do we do?"

"I guess we could move down a bit..."

"But to where? They're sure to follow, you've seen Evils before."

"True. We'll think about it on the way."

(back to common language)

"What are you saying?" The dark-red nicheling talked emotionlessly.

"Ahaha don't worry about it. We'll be on our way." Nibluis said awkwardly.

But Nibluis and Slate exchanged a glance. They both new what these Evils meant; their island of tranquil peace was about to once again be shattered by the appearance of another Evils group.

And the one thing natives hated most were the presence of Evils- these new nichelings would be shredded.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note

So for some clarification:

Sinash is the native tongue for nichelings born on the Isle, who aren't part of Evils groups.

Sinash was originally created for natives to speak about Evils without the Evils knowing the language. This is why that first nicheling the group met was hostile; the natives don't usually accept Evils groups.

Nibluis's name means 'Nightswim' in Sinash. 'Nib' means Night, 'Luis' means Swim.

Slate travelled onto the island as a juvenile, not an Evil group, but kept his original name from before joining.

Secondly. What do all the horns mean?

No-horns: Common or regular nicheling. Commons are distinguished by their yellow gems.

Ram-horns: Child of Evil. You can tell which type by gem color.

Savanna-horns: You'll find out eventually.

Antlers/megaloceros: All nichelings with antlers or megaloceros are extinct. None of them are native, and no nicheling with either gene has been born on the island for over a thousand years.

Antenna: these nichelings are considered gods among the native nichelings. due to the ability to predict the future, they're usually hidden away so that Evils groups can't find them. Most antenna nichelings also leave the island after learning of the 'dangers' from the Evils groups.

Lastly. Posting Schedule.

I plan on posting in Children of Evil every Sunday from now on.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Nightfire said:

Chapter 7 - The Winged Wanderers

Perspective of ?

Slate scampered through the thick grasses with quiet paws, keeping his awkward bat wing concealed against his side and his three remaining paws guide him through the grasses. When he began to reach the final stretch to the shores, he smelled unfamiliar scents. He went to stop, but tripped over the lack of a root he would use to perch on, over the the grasses onto the shorelines. Now, the root was gone, and it gave way to a large clearing, with new scents lingering in it.

20211008221230_1.thumb.jpg.3477b72e945c64c6774954dabfea464d.jpg

A sand-colored nicheling with bat stripes and a strange scorpion tail was stuffing toxic berries into their paws, before turning to spot Slate.

"Who are you?" The nicheling spoke of the common language. Slate decided to test them.

He stood up, brushing his fur off. He began to speak in his native tongue. "You're new from around here?"

The nicheling blinked at him with confusion.

Slate turned back to common language. "Definitely new from around here."

"I thought you were a diseased wombat for a moment!" the nicheling laughed. "What's your name?"

Slate scanned the nicheling. They had a scorpion tail curled calmly around their paws, the dangerous tip concealed. Their paws were equipped for gathering, and their fur was sleek and their form was lithe. But Slate's expression twisted as he saw the nicheling's horns, a sign of an Evil. The nicheling's gems glinted with blue coloring, meaning they were an Evil of Trickery. Their eyes were equally as haunting as he'd expect.

"Slate." he tried to keep this tone even. "You?"

"Trickery!" the nicheling beamed a bit, unfurling their paw to release a few berries, the toxic seeds torn off. "You hungry?"

Pretty simple, Slate thought. "I don't need food at the moment."

The nicheling nodded a bit. "Alright."

Slate padded past the nicheling, letting out a relieved breath when they were out of earshot. All they had to do was meet up with Nibluis, and the pair could head upstream and avoid this group of Evils.

But then, to his horror, he saw his friend standing under a dark-red nicheling. He raced over.

20211008221336_1.thumb.jpg.caf01b03ed4ef8bfc561446ea60b668b.jpg

"Hold on hold on!" Slate raced over. This nicheling was looking down at Nibluis hauntingly, having horns and the color of green. Sanity.

The nicheling turned. Their eyes were blank.

"Don't hurt her. She's with me."

Nibluis was holding a cluster of broken clams in her open paw. She crept over to Slate.

20211008221355_1.thumb.jpg.6ebc67279e5b5175ccb18f654c532b2d.jpg

(The following is in the native island language)

"Slate! What the heck is happening.. is there a new group of-"

"I believe so. And I don't thing they understand Sinash."

"Alright. What do we do?"

"I guess we could move down a bit..."

"But to where? They're sure to follow, you've seen Evils before."

"True. We'll think about it on the way."

(back to common language)

"What are you saying?" The dark-red nicheling talked emotionlessly.

"Ahaha don't worry about it. We'll be on our way." Nibluis said awkwardly.

But Nibluis and Slate exchanged a glance. They both new what these Evils meant; their island of tranquil peace was about to once again be shattered by the appearance of another Evils group.

And the one thing natives hated most were the presence of Evils- these new nichelings would be shredded.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note

So for some clarification:

Sinash is the native tongue for nichelings born on the Isle, who aren't part of Evils groups.

Sinash was originally created for natives to speak about Evils without the Evils knowing the language. This is why that first nicheling the group met was hostile; the natives don't usually accept Evils groups.

Nibluis's name means 'Nightswim' in Sinash. 'Nib' means Night, 'Luis' means Swim.

Slate travelled onto the island as a juvenile, not an Evil group, but kept his original name from before joining.

Secondly. What do all the horns mean?

No-horns: Common or regular nicheling. Commons are distinguished by their yellow gems.

Ram-horns: Child of Evil. You can tell which type by gem color.

Savanna-horns: You'll find out eventually.

Antlers/megaloceros: All nichelings with antlers or megaloceros are extinct. None of them are native, and no nicheling with either gene has been born on the island for over a thousand years.

Lastly. Posting Schedule.

I plan on posting in Children of Evil every Sunday from now on.

What about antenna?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mod the non-Mod said:

What about antenna?

oh yeah forgot about those

antenna nichelings are considered gods among the native nichelings. due to the ability to predict the future, they're usually hidden away so that Evils groups can't find them. Most antenna nichelings also leave the island after learning of the 'dangers' from the Evils groups.

(added to the main post as well)

Chapter 8 - To Stay

Perspective of Slate

20211008221424_1.thumb.jpg.d687ab73d37f1fa9f157873b8ee81a94.jpg

Slate was about to head off with Nibluis, in search of a new hunting ground, when a bright beige nicheling raced over.

"Ooo! Visitors! Friends!" She looked between the two nichelings, noticing their strange wings. "What are these?"

"Uh-" Nibluis pulled her wing towards her body a bit more.

Slate scanned the she. Her fur was sleek and well-maintained, and her eyes gleamed unnaturally happy despite the black color. She looked perfect in every way, despite the basicness of her genes, and her gemstones were a yellow. A Common.

The Common looked at the two wonderingly, then blinked and spoke again. "Oh yeah! What are your names? I'm Common."

Slate and Nibluis exchanged another glance. What basic of names. Nibluis looked amused, Slate sighing.

"I'm Slate. And this is Nibluis." He explained.

"Ooooo. Pretty names." Common was very happy about meeting new people, so much so that it scared Slate a little. "Why do you have wings?"

"Lucky genes." Nibluis responded.

Slate was about to say it was time for the duo to leave, but then they heard a shriek from the darkness.

20211008221517_1.thumb.jpg.48937d9b84dc1518edf11d33206d66db.jpg

Trickery was fighting off a rogue male, tearing at his chest with her tail.

Common raced over to call out to Trickery. Slate jumped forwards, being a fellow male and unbreedable.

20211008221544_1.thumb.jpg.fc1580658b8e7e22e378aa923ea96632.jpg

With a fast slice, he tore into the rogue. Trickery gasped behind him at his skill.

The pink rogue body-slammed into Slate, making him fall into a berry bush. The rogue wandered off, and as Slate regained his strength, he saw exactly who the rogue was going after.

20211008221731_1.thumb.jpg.24ff76e8abfaefd6a2c5b403eef92430.jpg

"Nibluis!" Slate was out of energy, and his friend was the same. Trickery shrieked in fear at the sight of the rogue, looking for a way to safely sting him. But there was no route, and the rogue was creeping closer..

• Sad 2

Chapter 9 - From the Dark

Perspective of Sanity

20211008222357_1.thumb.jpg.f664b9380ea62060935ef2bcfe52fc0e.jpg

Sanity had maintained a medium distance with the new nichelings, watching them with their blank eyes. Their tail twitched, and they heard a twig snap behind them. Instinctively, they turned around, hissing.

A dark brown figure with sharp fangs and beady eyes snarled back. Its back was arched, its claws were extended, and its jaw quivered with power. Sanity leaped backwards, jumping out of the way of which it landed, preparing their fangs for a shot of venom.

The brown figure was familiar; Sanity recognized it as the terror that chased them out of their old temporary camp, of which the group was in the process of returning to. But this one was a lighter shade of brown, its body a bit smaller than Sanity remembered. It seemed to be a younger bearyena, maybe the last one's child. Sanity saw the dead older one flash in their head, and shuddered.

A shriek of horror brought back Sanity's mind, and they sprung to the side of the beast, slicing at it with their paws. A flash of pink-tan fur streaked by, followed by the scarlet of blood. Ambition seemed to appear next to Sanity, the bearyena yowling in pain. It recoiled, and Trickery leaped onto a stump, stinging their tail into the animal's back.

20211008222452_1.thumb.jpg.a7f66e46dd05dfe978d3a89a7bbff2f8.jpg

(Ignore bottom right savanna horns)

The bearyena growled at Trickery, biting at them. Sanity had little memory of how they felt towards Trickery, and hesitated, but lashed out again. Ambition pulled back, letting the red and beige nichelings fight. Sanity saw a glimmer of pleasure as Trickery screeched.

The predator clawed at Sanity, who did all they could to hold its paw out, before turning their head down and slamming their claws into its chest, just below the paw. The bearyena let out an earsplitting screech, and Sanity lost their grip on its paw, rolling beneath the predator's stomach and shooting venom straight into its chest, as Sanity rolled out the other side.

Trickery had been grappling at the bearyena's face, clawing and growling viciously as they tore into its eyes, ears and muzzle. Sanity was breathing heavily, as Trickery, released its head, dropping the brown creature and rubbing at a small tooth mark that was bleeding.

The bearyena toppled down, crumpling into a pile of meat.

Trickery promptly picked it up, and threw a piece to Sanity, glaring at Ambition. "We're not blind. We saw that."

Sanity gazed at Trickery warmly, a new gesture of kindness outweighing that of Outrage. They ate the meat, thinking about how brilliant Trickery was, wondering why they hadn't realized the scorpion-tailed nicheling's kindness sooner.

20211008222507_1.thumb.jpg.03031df77e007e8d7fe1fc517531e13d.jpg

(Again, ignore bottom right savanna horns)

"Well. I want to make sure I'm not allies with weaklings." Ambition ruffled their mane. "A test of strength is just what I needed."

Trickery snorted. "Test of strength? So you brought that thing here?"

Ambition glared at Trickery. "No-"

"Yeah yeah like I believe you." Trickery's gaze turned haughtily cold, making Sanity feel as if ice was pulsing through every inch of their body. "I know you want me dead, Ambition. Just so you can become our glorious ruler or whatever."

Ambition faltered backwards at Trickery's eyes, turning away. "And you want the same for me."

"Then why don't we have a test of strength between us both?"

Ambition turned back to Trickery, looking just below their eyes. "What do you mean by that?"

Trickery's tail uncurled, the venomous barb twitching as if it were awakening from a nightmare. "We fight. Winner lives, and becomes the tribe's leader. Loser? A heap of bones on the forest floor."

Ambition blinked. Sanity watched the two with careful expressions, wondering if Trickery would be hurt. That would be terrible.

At long last, Ambition looked into Trickery's eyes, with eyes of fire. "Deal."

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Chapter 10 - Twisted Horns

Perspective of Common

20211008221848_1.thumb.jpg.4e7797a1d8b1695931af4f2aa420c2ad.jpg

Common had been plucking away at a berry bush, absentmindedly tapping her claw, when she saw a figure emerge from nearby grasses.

It was a male, with a paw for a stub and a twisted snout. Despite this, Common felt no hesitance in speaking to him.

"Hey there!" She beamed, and the orange-beige male blinked at her friendliness. He looked over her yellow gemstones and the lack of horns, and his gaze softened.

"Uh. Hi." The male tapped the berry bush hesitantly with the stub.

Common passed over a handful of purple-pink berries. "What's your name? I'm Common!"

The male looked subtly amused, before calming once more. "I'm Zircon, nice to meet you."

As he spoke, his gemstones faded into a pure black, darkness consuming over their once green coloration. Common wondered what it meant, but said nothing. Instead, the male spoke.

"Do you know what Evils groups are?"

"Uh- no-?" Common was confused as to the seemingly random question.

"Oh. Well, that makes sense, considering your name is Common."

Common took no offense to that, being, well, a Common. "What is an Evils group?"

"A group of nichelings, usually 5, each with a trait that signifies a different branch of evilness. With one nicheling who has every good trait. A Sanity,"-The male looked a bit embarrassed at the Sanity mention-"A Trickery, an Ambition, and an Outrage. The one with good traits doesn't have horns and almost always yellow gemstones; a Common."

Common was a bit confused. "Oh, okay?"

"Most of the time when they reach here," Zircon was quite casual in his speech, as if the Evils groups were regular occurrences. "They keep the name matching their traits. But when they figure out that their names are literally their personalities, they usually change them."

"Common is a nice simple name. Can I keep it?"

Zircon shrugged. "Your choice."

It was a bit awkward, and Common considered changing her name to appeal to Zircon. But instead, the orange male noticed something, and trotted off towards a strange coral-orange-red colored nicheling. Common went over to watch them.

20211008222309_1.thumb.jpg.a67df872dfbc650df39b71191f681112.jpg

"Koreko?" Zircon looked a bit agitated. "What are you doing here?"

"I didn't know where to go!" Koreko, that seemed to be her name, itched at her arm. "Y'know, I thought we would just vanish after Yesterday died. I didn't plan to go anywhere!"

Zircon sighed. "Well.. I suppose you can stay here. But you better not immediately declare yourself ruler or anything-"

"I won't!" Koreko looked a bit desperate, and that made Common feel horrible for her. "I'm not an Ambition anymore, pumpkin guts."

Common was shocked. These nichelings had pure black gems, and they didn't have ram horns, the symbol of the Evils.

"Don't call me pumpkin guts!" Zircon's snarl caught Common off-guard. But before either could fight, Zircon calmed himself.

"You better be careful around here." Zircon glared back at Koreko before stomping off. Koreko let out a breath of relief.

Common's mind was twisting. What were these nichelings? Who were they? Are they Evils? Who was Yesterday? Why does Zircon hate Koreko? The sun was setting, so he curled into a ball of confusion, but he feared that sleep was a long ways off.

• Like 1
  • Eek! 1

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 11 - Nibhui

Perspective of Nibluis

20211107080514_1.thumb.jpg.e720a83796a26b87f83be93c0d893056.jpg

Nibluis wondered how she could give birth to this.. thing.

It must be because she's near the Evils.

Maybe her child had been infected.

"She's beautiful!" Common remarked, patting the child's head. Of course a Common wouldn't think poorly of anyone or anything.

"Y-Yeah.." Nibluis forced a trembling smile.

"What are you gonna name her?" Common looked at Nibluis, too bright and too excited for comfort.

"Nib-" She is red. "-uh.."

"After yourself?"

"Yeah, yeah, that." Nibluis suddenly got a thought.

"We'll name her Nibhui." Hui; a shorter word for curse. Named after me.

My curse.

"What a pretty name!" Common grinned again.

"Slate!" Nibluis looked around, and the coral-orange nicheling came over.

20211107080936_1.thumb.jpg.45ab617182c12e3116b820925344c83d.jpg

"She's very pretty. What did you name her?"

"Nibhui." Nibluis had said the words hesitantly. Slate instantly knew what the words translated to, and shot a sharp glare at Nibluis.

"Oh. Uh, interesting." Slate's teeth gritted and his gaze almost made Nibluis flinch.

"Wellllllll. We should better get going soon-"

20211107080634_1.thumb.jpg.fc1bc6183b22f8c181b56ab4ca987f59.jpg

"Awh, why?" Trickery grabbed Nibluis's paw. Nibluis swatted the scorpion-tailed nichelings paw away.

"Because, we can't stay here forever."

"Why would you want to leave Nibhui?" Common had the young nicheling sleeping into her fur.

"She's old enough to survive on her own." Nibluis looked towards her traitorous companion Slate as he made no effort to speak.

"A bird could eat her with ease. She's not safe." Trickery's voice was hypnotizing, and Nibluis shook her head, blinking rapidly to break the trance.

"We can't stay here forever.." Nibluis could barely keep the frustration in her voice at bay.

"Then at least stay until she's a teen and can decide where she wants to go." Common reasoned.

"But-"

"We can stay for a little longer..." Slate said quietly.

What are you doing you useless lump of fluff!?

"Okay, majority rules." Trickery grinned, practically dragging Nibluis back into camp. "3 to 1, you're all staying."

Nibluis felt as if everyone was against her.. which was true.

Even Slate?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...