Stray Fawn Community

Children of Evil

Nightfire

Chapter 12 - Teeth and Toxins

Perspective of Slate

20211107080955_1.thumb.jpg.57826ea7caadc8319ce91c5b6bbe4340.jpg

Nibluis and Slate were stopped in their tracks as a bearyena charged from the grasses. Its teeth glimmered with hunger and its eyes gleamed a distant red hidden in pure darkness.

Nibluis immediately leaped away. Slate sliced its flank, to no effect. He jumped backwards, before remembering that Nibhui was right behind him.

Turning, brown and dark red fur streaked past him.

20211107081031_1.thumb.jpg.bdcd9e9a2bc0b097bdb7f269f8e3abce.jpg

Looking back, Outrage and Sanity tore into the bearyena's fur, Outrage full of emotion but Sanity without.

Outrage ripped into its foreleg, slicing it with hind claws and grabbing its shoulder with their forepaws. They roared into the bearyena's face, before biting into its eye.

Sanity leaped, spinning midair, and slashing its back. They kicked their hindlegs against it and leaping off, backwards, crouching upon landing and kicking its hindleg. It toppled down as it turned to try and grab them.

The duo both leaped onto the fallen bearyena, blow after blow against every inch of its face, throat and stomach. The bearyena broke free, kicking off Outrage and turning to run. As soon as Outrage was hit, Sanity shrieked and roared at the same time, emotion surging over every inch of their face. They leaped onto the bearyena's back, climbing through its rough mane to reach its head, of where they sprayed its entire face with venom at point blank range. The bearyena shrieked, and Sanity hit it with a series of blows against its face.

The bearyena finally fell, clawing at its face, and shrieking bloody murder. Sanity turned after falling off its back, their face in a distorted emotionless smirk before fading back into emotionless.

Slate sucked in a breath. He'd never seen a Sanity fight with Obsession before, and it scared him to his core.

Would he really be safe here?

• Like 2

Chapter 13 - In the Dust

Perspective of Slate and Nibluis

20211107081448_1.thumb.jpg.c5fda0c466b052fc640502ce4b162fac.jpg

Nibluis was constantly agitated.

Slate had betrayed her! The mere existence of Nibhui made her scowl. She kept her distance from her disgraceful creation, despite Slate and Common wanting them to interact.

Slate had talked to Nibluis quite a bit about changing Nibhui's name. It was accurate to Nibluis; but Slate thought she was a monster for naming her child as a curse.

I've been his friend nearly his entire life, and yet he'll fight me for that stupid child that he's barely known!

So much for loyalty.

Nibluis sighed, approaching Common. This had to be done.

"Common, I'm leaving. I can't deal with this crap anymore." Nibluis didn't hide her emotions in her voice again.

"Wait! Really?" Common looked so pathetic with that look in his eyes.

"Yes." Nibluis swiped a few berries out of Common's hands, who didn't fight back. "Keep that stupid excuse of a child."

Nibluis' gems glittered. Green. How poetic, I'm like a Sanity without horns.

The Children are really strange. They're like split versions of actual nichelings. Nibluis had anger, ambition, manipulation and sanity, although she hid them all. Everyone only shows either the Commons or all of the Evils, it's what makes us nichelings.

The Children aren't nichelings.. they're just created for whatever sick games the gods make us play.

20211107081543_1.thumb.jpg.133db5e6e5f2832ed6908faae340aa23.jpg

Before Common could respond, Nibluis stomped off into the seas.

But Slate raced over.

"Nibluis! Where are you going?"

"Ah! Glad you could join me. Out of here with these stupid monsters, coming with?" Nibluis grinned with teeth.

Slate watched Nibluis from the shores.

"No. You're the stupid monster." He seemed to let out a thousand emotions at once.

The words struck Nibluis like an arrow. Did he really think that?

"The Children aren't inherently bad, they're made to be bad." Slate reasoned. "They're not monsters, they're nichelings created to be monsters. You're a nicheling who has made themselves a monster through their horrible actions."

Nibluis snarled. "Fine. Stay with your lovely criminals and that stupid waste of breath kid. I don't care."

Guess you're a monster and a liar, you lovesick freak.

20211107081701_1.thumb.jpg.eab9e012ca8472f6a1d240e951976ef6.jpg

Slate watched Nibluis fade into the distance. The sun was setting slowly.

What a jerk, leaving behind their own child. I wonder why I ever stayed around her.

Even this Evils group is better.

Slate felt a tug on his tail, and turned.

"Slate? When is mother going to come back?" Nibhui asked quietly.

"She'll.." Slate couldn't respond, a lump in his throat. "She's going off on a mission to courageously save us from.. a whale.. she won't be back. It will take her entire lifetime. You're lucky to be the kid of a hero."

Nibhui's shoulders dropped. "Oh."

"Wellll. Since she's gone.. we can do what we want." Slate grinned, dying inside. "You could even rename yourself!"

"I can?"

"Of course. I'd say Nibshubi. Would fit you. Know what it means?"

"No. Mother never taught me."

"It means Red Blessing." Slate's new grin was genuine. "Want it?"

"Yeah! That's a lot nicer than Nibhui."

Nibshubi, the Red Blessing Kid of a Hero.

She doesn't need a monstrous mother when she's got me and Common.

We'll be fine.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Chapter 14 - Processing

Perspective of Common

20211107081807_1.thumb.jpg.1efe1508430faff7b12d62c8d283ac4d.jpg

Common had gone out to the shores. Partially to search for Nibluis, hoping that she regretted leaving Nibshubi, and partially to think about everything that had happened lately.

Patience, Trickery had told him before. That's a good trait. You have a lot of that. And forgiveness, and kindness, and you can make anything brighter just by being around.

Common wondered if he would forgive Nibluis. Probably. At least, that was what he was supposed to do.

..Wasn't it?

Common shook his head. Of course he would forgive Nibluis! Why wouldn't he?

If Nibluis comes back, whispered the back of his brain.

Common rubbed his head. A small rabbit curled beneath his paws, before noticing Common, and running off.

Before it left into the grasses, however, the rabbit looked back at Common. It seemed to search his eyes.

And then it vanished.

Is it possible to ignore what I was made to do?

20211107081927_1.thumb.jpg.a465ac9de31bb29e7972b985830465fc.jpg

Common came back to the camp soon enough. She had some small talk with Nibshubi and Slate, before Nibshubi ran off.

"Slate, I have something to- ask you." Common tried to smile, but for once, it was a struggle.

"What is it?" Slate seemed to be caught off guard by that.

"Is it possible- for- the Evils to act against their- purpose- I guess?" Common asked quietly.

"I'm not sure. The only instance I've seen it happen is if either the Common dies, or the rest of the Evils die. By then, their gems become black, and- they're pure nicheling, now." Slate responded. "Evils can't die of old age, just from bearyenas and poison and whatnot. Basically any death but old age."

"Huh. That's.. weird." Common felt a strange lump in her throat. "Has anyone tried it, at least?"

"Not that I know of. Why?" Slate raised an eyebrow.

Common sighed. "I don't think I can forgive Nibluis. Although I'm supposed to."

Slate looked at Common wonderingly, when a small glimmer of light in Common's chest faded.

One of her gemstones had become black.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 15 - Inner Troubles

Perspectives of Trickery and Ambition

(sorry about the late post)

20211219120652_1.thumb.jpg.b1f9582d705324982c5c8c655ea915b5.jpg

Trickery went over to the south edge of the camp, hearing a flurry of shouts of anger coming from that direction. Zircon was trying to stay calm as he sent a bombardment of insults at Outrage, while Outrage was matching them perfectly if not better. Trickery sighed.

"Just give me your berries! You don't need them anyways, your gems barely glow!" Outrage bristled.

"Absolutely not. I got them myself, you can get yours. You do have that paw for a reason." Zircon's eyes were cold.

Trickery went beside the middle of the duo, but they barely noticed. "Hey there guys. Let's just calm down and sort this out peacefully, before I go get Common."

"What's he gonna do?" Outrage tore up grass, dirt ripping free. "Zircon should just give me the berries, and that'll be a peaceful solution."

Zircon groaned. "Your berries will be back by tomorrow anyway. So get away from me, mudcoat."

Outrage jumped forwards in a flash of dark brown fur. Their claws tore into Zircon, aiming for the face, but Zircon reacted quickly as if experienced in dealing with anger outbursts. Zircon poised his horns downward and speared Outrage's claw on the end.

The horn tore through a portion of Outrage's pad, impaling just on the edge of a toe, before ripping fully through to cause a tear. Outrage shrieked, their claws slicing down and hitting Zircon's upper head and, with a quick turn, sent Zircon reeling away.

Trickery snapped their jaws at Outrage's ear, and as Outrage turned to slice back, Trickery poised their scorpion tail at Outrage's neck. Outrage let out a startled squeak. Trickery weaved between the two nichelings.

"I said; peacefully. You deaf warthogs." Trickery's teeth clenched. Wait until I tell Common about this; he'll love me for keeping the peace!

But all the commotion had caused Common and Ambition to come over and see what was happening.

20211219120911_1.thumb.jpg.7cb5088cb8e5956e4c8d63b952801d52.jpg

"What happened over here?" Common sounded spooked as Zircon and Outrage glared at each other, Trickery purring and leaping away.

"Outrage tried to mug me." Zircon stepped backwards, eyes locked with Outrage, and grabbed a berry off of a bush, grinning smugly.

"Zircon doesn't think sharing is caring." Outrage tried to do the same, but almost ate a toxic berry. They still forced a smug grin.

Common looked on the edge of facepalming, but Ambition's eyes gleamed with curious interest. They slithered closer to hear what would happen next, casually eating berries and being grateful nobody could read minds.

"Alright, tell me exactly what happened." Common wiped blood off a rock, gagging and looking away while doing so. So weak.

"Well you see. I was minding my own business." Zircon popped another berry into his mouth. "And Outrage came over, asking for my berries. I, of course, reasoned that there were many other berry bushes Outrage could pick from-"

"- they had not berries." Outrage interrupted. "And you just snarled at me and said 'piss off mudcoat'." Sounds like Outrage.

"Nonono, they had berries, you just didn't look-" Outrage opened their mouth. "-Shut up and let me finish. Outrage then threatened me for the berries, and I then responded with the 'mudcoat' comment. Because you look like you rolled in mud a lot."

Outrage growled. "And then Zircon attacked me. The end."

"Nonono. You attacked me! Trickery saw it, right Tricke-" Zircon looked around, but the beige nicheling was nowhere to be seen. Threatening stealth.. need to keep an eye on them.

"Alright. Next time, Outrage, take no for an answer, and Zircon, don't be so rude and don't insult anyone." Common sounded a bit uncertain and a bit too optimistic after 2 tribe-members literally tried to maul each other over a few berries.

Ambition itched, and a plan formed in their head.

With a fast leap, Ambition reached the stump, and called out, "Let's hold our election, everyone! We've put it off for way too long!"

Danger glinted in their eyes and Ambition felt their gems pulse with light and power.

It's time to live up to my name.

Bonus screenshot; Slate being a good adopted father.

20211219120829_1.thumb.jpg.5addd29476ed61b975b70503776e72d4.jpg

Nibshubi can't move on land that well (1 tile per movement) so Slate moved to the berry bush by the bay so Nibshubi can move around freely and still be near her to keep her company.

Common also visits when not stopping the tribe from falling apart every 2 minutes. Parents of the year everyone

• Like 1
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, Nightfire said:

Chapter 15 - Inner Troubles

Perspectives of Trickery and Ambition

(sorry about the late post)

20211219120652_1.thumb.jpg.b1f9582d705324982c5c8c655ea915b5.jpg

Trickery went over to the south edge of the camp, hearing a flurry of shouts of anger coming from that direction. Zircon was trying to stay calm as he sent a bombardment of insults at Outrage, while Outrage was matching them perfectly if not better. Trickery sighed.

"Just give me your berries! You don't need them anyways, your gems barely glow!" Outrage bristled.

"Absolutely not. I got them myself, you can get yours. You do have that paw for a reason." Zircon's eyes were cold.

Trickery went beside the middle of the duo, but they barely noticed. "Hey there guys. Let's just calm down and sort this out peacefully, before I go get Common."

"What's he gonna do?" Outrage tore up grass, dirt ripping free. "Zircon should just give me the berries, and that'll be a peaceful solution."

Zircon groaned. "Your berries will be back by tomorrow anyway. So get away from me, mudcoat."

Outrage jumped forwards in a flash of dark brown fur. Their claws tore into Zircon, aiming for the face, but Zircon reacted quickly as if experienced in dealing with anger outbursts. Zircon poised his horns downward and speared Outrage's claw on the end.

The horn tore through a portion of Outrage's pad, impaling just on the edge of a toe, before ripping fully through to cause a tear. Outrage shrieked, their claws slicing down and hitting Zircon's upper head and, with a quick turn, sent Zircon reeling away.

Trickery snapped their jaws at Outrage's ear, and as Outrage turned to slice back, Trickery poised their scorpion tail at Outrage's neck. Outrage let out a startled squeak. Trickery weaved between the two nichelings.

"I said; peacefully. You deaf warthogs." Trickery's teeth clenched. Wait until I tell Common about this; he'll love me for keeping the peace!

But all the commotion had caused Common and Ambition to come over and see what was happening.

20211219120911_1.thumb.jpg.7cb5088cb8e5956e4c8d63b952801d52.jpg

"What happened over here?" Common sounded spooked as Zircon and Outrage glared at each other, Trickery purring and leaping away.

"Outrage tried to mug me." Zircon stepped backwards, eyes locked with Outrage, and grabbed a berry off of a bush, grinning smugly.

"Zircon doesn't think sharing is caring." Outrage tried to do the same, but almost ate a toxic berry. They still forced a smug grin.

Common looked on the edge of facepalming, but Ambition's eyes gleamed with curious interest. They slithered closer to hear what would happen next, casually eating berries and being grateful nobody could read minds.

"Alright, tell me exactly what happened." Common wiped blood off a rock, gagging and looking away while doing so. So weak.

"Well you see. I was minding my own business." Zircon popped another berry into his mouth. "And Outrage came over, asking for my berries. I, of course, reasoned that there were many other berry bushes Outrage could pick from-"

"- they had not berries." Outrage interrupted. "And you just snarled at me and said 'piss off mudcoat'." Sounds like Outrage.

"Nonono, they had berries, you just didn't look-" Outrage opened their mouth. "-Shut up and let me finish. Outrage then threatened me for the berries, and I then responded with the 'mudcoat' comment. Because you look like you rolled in mud a lot."

Outrage growled. "And then Zircon attacked me. The end."

"Nonono. You attacked me! Trickery saw it, right Tricke-" Zircon looked around, but the beige nicheling was nowhere to be seen. Threatening stealth.. need to keep an eye on them.

"Alright. Next time, Outrage, take no for an answer, and Zircon, don't be so rude and don't insult anyone." Common sounded a bit uncertain and a bit too optimistic after 2 tribe-members literally tried to maul each other over a few berries.

Ambition itched, and a plan formed in their head.

With a fast leap, Ambition reached the stump, and called out, "Let's hold our election, everyone! We've put it off for way too long!"

Danger glinted in their eyes and Ambition felt their gems pulse with light and power.

It's time to live up to my name.

Bonus screenshot; Slate being a good adopted father.

20211219120829_1.thumb.jpg.5addd29476ed61b975b70503776e72d4.jpg

Nibshubi can't move on land that well (1 tile per movement) so Slate moved to the berry bush by the bay so Nibshubi can move around freely and still be near her to keep her company.

Common also visits when not stopping the tribe from falling apart every 2 minutes. Parents of the year everyone

ah yes wholesome parents in a tribe where u can get murdered over some berries and everyone is trying to take advantage of everyone else

• Haha 1

Chapter 16A - Election

Perspective of Common

unnamed.thumb.jpg.28c025b61a3c9abb388cd1e1c19b1317.jpg

(ignore gemstone colors)

"Alright! Let's get this thing started!" Ambition grinned widely as they leaped onto the stump. "Who else wants to run?"

Common was about to settle into the crowd, when Trickery grabbed her arm. "Let's run! It'll be fun."

"You uh-" Common tried to smile. "You sure this is a good idea?"

"Of course! It'll be fine." Trickery jumped next to Ambition, who gazed down at them with cold eyes.

Common was spooked.

"We'll split into three different groups." Ambition continued. "Stand by whoever you vote for. Or nobody at all."

20211227123543_1.thumb.jpg.e295ae48673cead766f14d8dc6301a98.jpg

Koreko shuffled beside Ambition, patting the ground warily. Zircon glanced around briefly before settling beside her aswell; Outrage looked at Ambition for a moment before sitting beside Trickery and Sanity, not looking at anyone in particular; Nibshubi and Slate instantly went to Common, who murmured her thanks. It was a 3-way tie between all the parties.

Ambition looked at their followers in disbelief, before snarling and stepping towards the Trickery followers. Sanity and Outrage backed up as Trickery stared at Ambition in confusion.

Then, Ambition leaped forwards towards Trickery. Trickery leaped back, blood trickling down their cheek. Their tail swung forwards and struck Ambition in the chest. Ambition gagged and tore the stinger out, a dark substance leaking from the wound. Common gasped and jumped forwards to stand between the two.

20211227123800_1.thumb.jpg.9f1a77bc5298bbec3fc1e540da011c66.jpg

"Ambition! Calm down!" Common looked desperate as Ambition gazed down at Common as if she were an ant defending her ant mound, in Ambition's way.

"I deserve to be the leader!" Ambition snapped their jaws around Common's shoulder, and threw her towards the beach. Common rolled over the sand, blood soaking it into her fur and making her gag.

Suddenly, something grabbed her off the ground and dragged her up, holding her off her feet.

Chapter 16B - Battle for the Throne

20211227123906_1.thumb.jpg.793cf299ba7a653606632b6d6262c441.jpg

"I don't need you! I don't want you and I don't like you. You're just in my way." Ambition's arm trembled as their face was morphed in expressionless horror.

Darkness crept at the sides of Common's vision, and her throat hurt as though it was sucked out of her body. Trickery and Slate were shouting muted things, Outrage and Sanity were somewhere.. and Niblu-Nibshubi was running away, into the waters. Her mind stung and her memory flared dangerously blank.

Suddenly, a thud was heard and a flash of coral fur sent Common flying backwards, and she fell into the waters below.

20211227124023_1.thumb.jpg.9e14453c54027ea5157a1a8be1cfff88.jpg

Water filled Common's lungs and eyes as she coughed hoarsely, seeing the light return to her world. Slate helped lift her up and brushed sand off her coat, as salty water sent stings of pain through her body. She cried out at a lash of pain, and tried to pull onto the shore, when her paw hit something- or someone.

"Ambition! Quit it." An unlikely voice called.

Her savior was none other than Koreko; an invisible refugee of her own crimes.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Nightfire said:

Chapter 16A - Election

Perspective of Common

unnamed.thumb.jpg.28c025b61a3c9abb388cd1e1c19b1317.jpg

(ignore gemstone colors)

"Alright! Let's get this thing started!" Ambition grinned widely as they leaped onto the stump. "Who else wants to run?"

Common was about to settle into the crowd, when Trickery grabbed her arm. "Let's run! It'll be fun."

"You uh-" Common tried to smile. "You sure this is a good idea?"

"Of course! It'll be fine." Trickery jumped next to Ambition, who gazed down at them with cold eyes.

Common was spooked.

"We'll split into three different groups." Ambition continued. "Stand by whoever you vote for. Or nobody at all."

20211227123543_1.jpg

Koreko shuffled beside Ambition, patting the ground warily. Zircon glanced around briefly before settling beside her aswell; Outrage looked at Ambition for a moment before sitting beside Trickery and Sanity, not looking at anyone in particular; Nibshubi and Slate instantly went to Common, who murmured her thanks. It was a 3-way tie between all the parties.

Ambition looked at their followers in disbelief, before snarling and stepping towards the Trickery followers. Sanity and Outrage backed up as Trickery stared at Ambition in confusion.

Then, Ambition leaped forwards towards Trickery. Trickery leaped back, blood trickling down their cheek. Their tail swung forwards and struck Ambition in the chest. Ambition gagged and tore the stinger out, a dark substance leaking from the wound. Common gasped and jumped forwards to stand between the two.

20211227123800_1.jpg

"Ambition! Calm down!" Common looked desperate as Ambition gazed down at Common as if she were an ant defending her ant mound, in Ambition's way.

"I deserve to be the leader!" Ambition snapped their jaws around Common's shoulder, and threw her towards the beach. Common rolled over the sand, blood soaking it into her fur and making her gag.

Suddenly, something grabbed her off the ground and dragged her up, holding her off her feet.

Chapter 16B - Battle for the Throne

20211227123906_1.jpg

"I don't need you! I don't want you and I don't like you. You're just in my way." Ambition's arm trembled as their face was morphed in expressionless horror.

Darkness crept at the sides of Common's vision, and her throat hurt as though it was sucked out of her body. Trickery and Slate were shouting muted things, Outrage and Sanity were somewhere.. and Niblu-Nibshubi was running away, into the waters. Her mind stung and her memory flared dangerously blank.

Suddenly, a thud was heard and a flash of coral fur sent Common flying backwards, and she fell into the waters below.

20211227124023_1.jpg

Water filled Common's lungs and eyes as she coughed hoarsely, seeing the light return to her world. Slate helped lift her up and brushed sand off her coat, as salty water sent stings of pain through her body. She cried out at a lash of pain, and tried to pull onto the shore, when her paw hit something- or someone.

"Ambition! Quit it." An unlikely voice called.

Her savior was none other than Koreko; an invisible refugee of her own crimes.

the images are broken

• Paw up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 17 - Yesterday

Perspectives of Koreko

20220109115757_1.thumb.jpg.aa1855cb872ba99f761dc78725e19062.jpg

Ambition hesitated, staring at Koreko with an expressionless face but eyes that had a glitter of something within telling Ambition to stop attacking. It was strange to Koreko, as she remembered none of that herself. But she took the opportunity to lift Ambition away with the help of Zircon, as Slate helped Common out of the water.

Koreko grabbed Ambition's paw and practically dragged them along with her. Ambition let her, staring down into nothingness with wide, shocked eyes, but with a set jaw and no particular expression. Trickery's voiced concerns over Common faded out in the background, and Outrage was still nowhere to be found. But Koreko didn't care.

20220109115949_1.thumb.jpg.8797f3c38f75b9835aa6fad50a33a042.jpg

"Calm down. It's not a very big deal, that silly election." Koreko looked back at the tribe, Sanity gazing in her direction with icy interest. Koreko shuddered, remembering Fossil, and her mind reminded her Yesterday's screams of pain and the river stained in scarlet blood. Koreko shoved memories back, and focused on her task.

I have a second chance to stop it now.

"I know. But why did I.." Ambition looked down at their claw, seemingly confused by the blood, or lack thereof. ".. why did I stop? I could shred you! I could destroy everyone here and Outrage would just sit by and do nothing. I did mean to kill Common, I'm supposed to. But why didn't I.."

"You're an Ambition. Like I was." Koreko glared into the distance. "I wanted everything. You want everything. You attack and you shred your Evils groups in your own selfishness, and you forget to save the thing that made you." She choked on the words, seeing Fossil's dangerous eyes and Zircon running, and the entire world slowing as everything changed.

She remembered the feeling of wonder, of fear, of the sudden lack of selfish desire. The sky falling and her gems fading into darkness. Her horns unraveling and opening her heart. At the cost of Yesterday's life.

And then she remembered running, running from her group, from her crimes, from her past, running from herself and all she'd done, but most of all, running for redemption.

And the redemption was right here. Right in front of her eyes.

"You need to find a way out of your Ambition. Out of your horrible thoughts. Out of your desires. I was always stopped myself before I did anything horrible, especially to Yesterday. But when Fossil killed Yesterday, I was freed." Koreko admitted. "But Yesterday didn't deserve to die. Yesterday was amazing, and brilliant, and was everything great.. everything we aren't."

Ambition stared at Koreko in wondering, anger, confusion, but most of all, a pleading want to reach this impossible future. Koreko sudden noticed a flicker on their chest, and watched as a gemstone fought against fading into black and staying that lively orange Koreko was so familiar with.

"I don't know what stopped me." Ambition admitted. "But I saw someone. A black nicheling, with no features, but gleaming eyes, and broken gemstones. Bubbles leaked from their mouth, and they rose from the water. I heard their memories."

Koreko remembered that invisible face. A great, beautifully simple laugh. A build of nothing special, but a heart of gold. A pair of bright, blue eyes, and fur darker than the night sky. A common look, but a legendary personality.

Yesterday.

20220109120209_1.thumb.jpg.81c64fbccea9f7cba481a9b79977882c.jpg

Koreko grabbed Ambition, and dragged them into the grasses on the other side of the river.

"Tell me about him. I want to hear about Yesterday once again." Koreko's voice was raw and pleading.

Ambition stared at Koreko in temporary disbelief, but then grinned. "Sure."

Tomorrow is on the horizon. Yesterday is a memory. The present is a Common thing, but it's so sacred and valuable, we never appreciate it until we lose it and we're in someone else's yesterday.

Ambition is in their yesterday, I am their tomorrow, and the present is the gift they will receive once the night passes.

Neither nicheling noticed the black spot of light on Ambition's chest in the dim light, except for a memory that Koreko began to relive.

• Like 1
  • Eek! 1

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 18 - Slate's Last Travel

Perspective of Nibshubi

20220123131538_1.thumb.jpg.0e3353609be8f8a4c42cb9927c8f9a38.jpg

The rain beat down by the time the entire tribe had regrouped. Nibshubi was on the brink of adulthood, and she felt hopeful that the tribe would work out well.. Ambition even had one of those black gems now, like Common! That must be good, right?

The tribe was awkwardly silent, but Slate tapped Common. "talk to me and Nibshubi for a moment?"

Common nodded, glancing back and saying something to Trickery before jumped down to the shore. Slate led them away from the rest of the tribe, and Nibshubi felt a bit uneasy.

20220123131614_1.thumb.jpg.b9ed1e3ceb23c07d11ee9822261b345a.jpg

"I'm an old man, you both know." Slate frowned. "And it seems my days are running low."

Nibshubi blinked, surprised. She'd forgotten how old Slate really was. "You're going to.. leave us..?"

"I will never leave, no. I will always watch you both." Slate rubbed Nibshubi's head, and Common was frozen in shock. "Just one more journey. One final travel. And then I will rest forever, and keep you safe." 

Nibshubi folded her head into Slate. "Really?"

"Really. Would I lie to my favorite nichelings?" Slate smiled a sad grin. His eyes were wet. "Let's go tell the rest of the tribe, 'kay?"

Common nodded sadly. It was the first time his demeanor was so quietly melancholy.

But was there anything really happy in this situation?

20220123132014_1.thumb.jpg.8f8d524eacf1937263832e2225bbccda.jpg

The tribe had said their goodbyes. And rain began to singe the fur of Nibshubi, making her cold. A drizzle had started up.

Slate had said what he'd needed to; that every spirit of the island never rests until those it cares for will be safe in their futures. That he would never leave Nibshubi and Common, even after death. That he would help them however he could, to make sure Common didn't die for the Evils to be free from their curses.

That everything would be alright.

And most of all. Nibshubi had asked him what really happened to Nibluis. He finally responded truthfully; that she had left Nibshubi because Nibshubi has half rogue. That she hated the Evils.

Nibshubi didn't feel sad. She never knew Nibluis. She did, however, know Trickery and Common and Slate. She knew Koreko and Zircon, Ambition and Outrage and Sanity, and she had found a family without Nibluis.

Even if they were cursed to be horrible and bad, she knew that they could become good.

And as the rain tore into a thunderstorm, Slate vanished into the mist, never to be seen alive again.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eek! 1

4 hours ago, Nightfire said:

Chapter 18 - Slate's Last Travel

Perspective of Nibshubi

20220123131538_1.thumb.jpg.0e3353609be8f8a4c42cb9927c8f9a38.jpg

The rain beat down by the time the entire tribe had regrouped. Nibshubi was on the brink of adulthood, and she felt hopeful that the tribe would work out well.. Ambition even had one of those black gems now, like Common! That must be good, right?

The tribe was awkwardly silent, but Slate tapped Common. "talk to me and Nibshubi for a moment?"

Common nodded, glancing back and saying something to Trickery before jumped down to the shore. Slate led them away from the rest of the tribe, and Nibshubi felt a bit uneasy.

20220123131614_1.thumb.jpg.b9ed1e3ceb23c07d11ee9822261b345a.jpg

"I'm an old man, you both know." Slate frowned. "And it seems my days are running low."

Nibshubi blinked, surprised. She'd forgotten how old Slate really was. "You're going to.. leave us..?"

"I will never leave, no. I will always watch you both." Slate rubbed Nibshubi's head, and Common was frozen in shock. "Just one more journey. One final travel. And then I will rest forever, and keep you safe." 

Nibshubi folded her head into Slate. "Really?"

"Really. Would I lie to my favorite nichelings?" Slate smiled a sad grin. His eyes were wet. "Let's go tell the rest of the tribe, 'kay?"

Common nodded sadly. It was the first time his demeanor was so quietly melancholy.

But was there anything really happy in this situation?

20220123132014_1.thumb.jpg.8f8d524eacf1937263832e2225bbccda.jpg

The tribe had said their goodbyes. And rain began to singe the fur of Nibshubi, making her cold. A drizzle had started up.

Slate had said what he'd needed to; that every spirit of the island never rests until those it cares for will be safe in their futures. That he would never leave Nibshubi and Common, even after death. That he would help them however he could, to make sure Common didn't die for the Evils to be free from their curses.

That everything would be alright.

And most of all. Nibshubi had asked him what really happened to Nibluis. He finally responded truthfully; that she had left Nibshubi because Nibshubi has half rogue. That she hated the Evils.

Nibshubi didn't feel sad. She never knew Nibluis. She did, however, know Trickery and Common and Slate. She knew Koreko and Zircon, Ambition and Outrage and Sanity, and she had found a family without Nibluis.

Even if they were cursed to be horrible and bad, she knew that they could become good.

And as the rain tore into a thunderstorm, Slate vanished into the mist, never to be seen alive again.

DUDE YOUR TOO GOOD AT THIS 🙏

I wanna write like this so bad but my eyes need colour, and colour makes me unfocus 😭

But I'm very curious for the next chapter! And Nibshubi my beloved < 3 She is precious.

• Thanks 1

Chapter 19 - New Land

Perspective of Zircon

20220130160009_1.thumb.jpg.f353d9737c9a34092b8ee0e11f702d81.jpg

The last of the puddles vanished from the rainfall, but the air remained damp and the tribe was shrouded in sadness. Common hadn't been talking that much, Nibshubi was silent, and the rest of the tribe was tense. Slate had vanished, even the last bits of his scent fading with the mist. And Zircon had noticed that Common and Ambition had black gems like that of his and Koreko's, as if something was wrong.

"What are we doing, again?" He asked Koreko, poking the river. Koreko had a grin, but sadness still glittered in her eyes and her smile seemed fake. Koreko had wanted Zircon to come with him to explore, likely trying to brighten the mood.

"To explore the area past the river, remember?" Koreko smiled down at the water, wading into the stream. Her paws touched pebbles and fish squirmed out of the way of her paws. The rushing river was thin here, and the water was a nice temperature. Sighing, Zircon stepped in after her.

The two pulled onto the riverbank, Koreko dripping wet and grinning a bit more authentically than before. Zircon smiled at her briefly, before his ears caught the voice of distant humming. Koreko noticed as well, frowning, and sniffing. The smell was of sweat and cactus fruit.

Zircon took a quiet step towards the noise, and then another, and another.. until..

20220130160310_1.thumb.jpg.99680925d5c855a68b3df52d92fd6109.jpg

A brown and tan nicheling was trotting through the grasses, humming to himself as he painted a rock with berry juices. Greens, pinks, oranges, yellows, and blues melted into an image on the rock. Before Zircon could see what he'd made, the nicheling turned and gazed at the two.

"Hey there." The male's eyes were calm and laid-back, no hostility in them.

"Oh uh. Hello." Zircon said awkwardly. "I'm uh. Zircon. And this is Koreko."

Zircon glanced in Koreko's direction, but a lump caught in his throat as he saw the spark in her eyes. Her sadness had been washed away and she had become infatuated with this traveler. Zircon just turned back to the traveler and grinned, but the same look was now in the male's eyes as he looked back at Koreko. Zircon felt like he was going to gag.

"Nice to meet you two. I'm Muskrat." The male nodded respectfully. "I assume you lot are in one of those.. groups, or a tribe?"

"Ah, a tribe, I suppose. Although we have an Evils group in here.." Koreko said pleasantly.

"That's great. I've always wanted to see those." Muskrat smiled. Zircon noticed his tail brushing Koreko's and forced his fur flat. This was not the time for romance! "Could you introduce me to one?"

"Of course!" Koreko smiled. "Let's go, Zircon." She poked his shoulder.

"Yeah sure. One second, I smell a.. rabbit." Zircon lied. Koreko shrugged, and walked off, Muskrat following her.

Zircon turned back to the rock painting. The streaks of colors were hard to figure out at first glance, but soon, Zircon saw something else; a night filled with the rare stars that speckled the sky, 5 nichelings watching the stars through cleared grasses. On the bottom was a reflection of the nichelings, but with bloodshed and death.

The first nicheling was a vibrant green, with a bushy tail. They looked relaxed in the top image, but on the bottom, their pelt was stained a bloodred, and they seemed on edge. Zircon shuddered. The second had orange coloration, and was big like a bear with sharp claws. On the top, they were peaceful. On the bottom, they were sitting on top of a tree stump. The third was blue. Their tail was curled into a scorpion stinger. On the bottom their invisible face seemed to sprout strings of which were wrapped around the other nichelings' legs and necks. The fourth nicehling had pink colors, similar to the second one. On the bottom they looked as if they were screeching at invisible villains into the distance of the rock, blood staining their fur. The final nicheling was golden yellow, with no distinct features. On the bottom, there was no nicheling, like an imcompletion in the artwork.

Zircon wondered what the painting meant, when Koreko called out for him. Frowning, Zircon turned back to where the two left, running into the distance and wondering what Muskrat's deal was.

• Like 1
  • Eek! 1

Chapter 20 - Riverside Resort

Perspective of Trickery

20220206075914_1.thumb.jpg.c28873ffe4f87b8b7463b46afe26062d.jpg

Trickery yawned in the bright morning sunlight. The creek glistened and splashes drenched the nearby riverbed. The land on the opposite side of the river had been cleared out, and the tribe had begun to expand to the lake. Trickery grinned; they had helped the group clear out the area around the lake, and it made the gloomy water look a lot brighter and livelier. It was refreshing to be here, in a more peaceful place after so much.

Slate's passing had a hard affect on the group, and although Trickery wasn't particularly close to the male, they still felt a heavy weight over themselves and the rest of the tribe for the nicheling. Common had been quiet and seemed a lot more distant, and Trickery would be lying if they said they weren't worried about him. Nibshubi still had a lingering sadness, but seemed happier.

Muskrat, Zircon and Koreko had been adjusting quickly, too; Muskrat seemed more interested than disgusted at the fact Trickery was an Evil, and was very eager to be in the tribe, although it didn't take a genius to see the biggest reason. He was a great fisher and a good artist, and Trickery was admittedly a bit jealous of Koreko for all the attention she got.

"This place is so nice!" Muskrat grinned. His tail struck a fish in the stomach, and he pulled it up to the surface, eating it quickly. "Good hunting, nice weather.. this island is a lot better than what I've heard about it."

Nibshubi smiled, her eyes still sad. "I wish Common would come over here, he'd love it here. And.." Nibshubi trailed off, but Trickery knew exactly who she was thinking of.

"He would've loved it too. You did a great job clearing this area out." Koreko smiled at Nibshubi. "He'd be proud of you."

Nibshubi nodded, her gaze lingering on the algae on the bottom of the lake. Koreko always knew what to say, and it made Trickery feel anger towards her, although they hid it.

"I'm gonna go check on the others." Trickery smiled, trotting away. Nobody responded. Trickery felt heat rise on their spine, their fur calm and their gaze fiery.

20220206080349_1.thumb.jpg.d009adbdec9dfd91898255cbe0b3e049.jpg

Trickery jumped onto the other bank, nodding respectfully to the rest of the group. It felt like so long ago that they had all woken up on the edge of the island, with no idea who they were or where they were. Now, they had all aged, although never getting old. It was strange how little Trickery knew of the nichelings they'd spent their entire life with.

"We need to have another election soon, you know." Trickery stated once they reached the stump's edge. "Can't go much longer without someone to watch over this place."

"Shall we have our election sometime tomorrow, then?" Ambition questioned.

"I'd say do it once everyone's here." Sanity pointed out. Trickery was surprised at the usually reserved nicheling's talk.

"Alright, sure. We can do that." Ambition grinned.

"Common? Outrage? You in?" Trickery gazed at the other two.

Outrage shrugged. "Not my call."

Common looked off into the distance. "I mean.. you all can have it. I'm.." The nicheling trailed off.

"You're.. what?" Ambition pushed.

"..I'm not sure I'll be there. You guys have your election, I want to.. I don't know.. stretch my legs, I guess." Common's voice was quiet, and it felt so strange to Trickery to see such a bright creature so.. cold.

"You.. you sure? I won't do anything again." Ambition looked.. almost guilty.

"I'm sure." Common turned to the river. "See you guys later."

Trickery felt their body pull as if trying to will them to go with Common. To protect him. To keep Common safe.

But Trickery wasn't brave enough to do anything to protect the nicheling as they vanished into the grass, maybe for the final time.

• Sad 2

Chapter 21 - Lost Loyalties

Perspective of Nibshubi

20220213130902_1.thumb.jpg.7624f8d0df79c972af77cc80a44eee79.jpg

(ignore bones)

Nibshubi climbed onto the shore, hearing a cry from the stump. She'd heard that Common had vanished, and the tribe had been silent for the most part. Voices felt unfamiliar.

"Alright, everyone!" Ambition called. "Common said that we could do our election without her, so I think we do it about now. Who would like to be a candidate?"

Nobody spoke, and Ambition looked a bit pleased. Just as Trickery looked like they were about to say something, someone else spoke up.

"Last time there was an election, you attacked the other candidates and needed to be stopped by Koreko. I bet you don't even care about anyone but yourself." Sanity snapped. "And I don't think anyone even wants you to be king or president or whatever."

Ambition looked pissed with a fake grin. "Excuse me?"

"Let's be honest here. Who wants Ambition to rule over us all?" Sanity called out. Nobody, even not Outrage, said a thing.

Ambition looked angry beyond belief.

20220213131043_1.thumb.jpg.0f13d1be4db09ca4f02557e320683828.jpg

The large nicheling descended on Sanity, swiping at them with a fast claw. But Sanity's eyes were hauntingly emotionless but strangely hungry as they held back Ambition, shoving the larger nicheling back as blood seeped from their claws. Ambition was about to go in for another blow, but Sanity's mouth hinged like a snake and venom streaked out towards Ambition, pure black and steaming.

Ambition blocked their face with their claw, and shrieked as venom ate up at their paw. Nibshubi looked on horrified as black liquid ate at fur and flesh. Sanity's face was emotionless, but a large grin painted a horrific face.

Their gemstones beamed green, and Nibshubi wondered if Sanity had finally snapped.

20220206080439_1.thumb.jpg.dfdc7de0fea6dc2ac8a59b2b05ff069f.jpg

bonus Muskrat and Koreko are having a kid yay any name ideas for it

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nightfire said:

Chapter 21 - Lost Loyalties

Perspective of Nibshubi

20220213130902_1.thumb.jpg.7624f8d0df79c972af77cc80a44eee79.jpg

(ignore bones)

Nibshubi climbed onto the shore, hearing a cry from the stump. She'd heard that Common had vanished, and the tribe had been silent for the most part. Voices felt unfamiliar.

"Alright, everyone!" Ambition called. "Common said that we could do our election without her, so I think we do it about now. Who would like to be a candidate?"

Nobody spoke, and Ambition looked a bit pleased. Just as Trickery looked like they were about to say something, someone else spoke up.

"Last time there was an election, you attacked the other candidates and needed to be stopped by Koreko. I bet you don't even care about anyone but yourself." Sanity snapped. "And I don't think anyone even wants you to be king or president or whatever."

Ambition looked pissed with a fake grin. "Excuse me?"

"Let's be honest here. Who wants Ambition to rule over us all?" Sanity called out. Nobody, even not Outrage, said a thing.

Ambition looked angry beyond belief.

20220213131043_1.thumb.jpg.0f13d1be4db09ca4f02557e320683828.jpg

The large nicheling descended on Sanity, swiping at them with a fast claw. But Sanity's eyes were hauntingly emotionless but strangely hungry as they held back Ambition, shoving the larger nicheling back as blood seeped from their claws. Ambition was about to go in for another blow, but Sanity's mouth hinged like a snake and venom streaked out towards Ambition, pure black and steaming.

Ambition blocked their face with their claw, and shrieked as venom ate up at their paw. Nibshubi looked on horrified as black liquid ate at fur and flesh. Sanity's face was emotionless, but a large grin painted a horrific face.

Their gemstones beamed green, and Nibshubi wondered if Sanity had finally snapped.

20220206080439_1.thumb.jpg.dfdc7de0fea6dc2ac8a59b2b05ff069f.jpg

bonus Muskrat and Koreko are having a kid yay any name ideas for it

Boneless the rubber ducky baby

• Paw up 1

Chapter 22 - Break in Balance

Perspectives of Nibshubi, Sanity and Common

20220221095118_1.thumb.jpg.d1e1125358993ee3838940d3f2d13f61.jpg

Ambition tore for the waters, coughing and hacking up blood. A hiss came out of their paw as the black liquid came to a stop in the cool water, but the damage had been done, and Ambition was heavily bleeding from the new wound and from inside; even Trickery's healing couldn't stop it.

Nibshubi dove into the current, kicking as hard as she could. She'd heard from Slate the tales of cyan and violet plants that give one underwater breathing and end all injuries, but the dangers of getting them as well.

It didn't take her long to find one of the plants, but grabbing the fruit was an instant problem. Her wing and pawless limb proved impossible to grab the fruit, and her hind legs couldn't exactly hold it. She swam up and called for Ambition, who dove down.

Ambition was not a swimmer; their claws and build made it hard to swim, water folding through their claws harmlessly. Still, Ambition raced towards the fruit, turning the sea red.

And Nibshubi shut her eyes in fear of what she would see next.

20220221095440_1.thumb.jpg.eb45e05d788d516a8dcdfee5b30b4848.jpg

Sanity watched the water with a cold expression. Cries of fear and sadness turned into white noise as they watched the sea of where Ambition had vanished. They thought they were doing a favor for everyone, so what had gone wrong? Why was everyone screaming? Why was everyone angry? Why did anyone care?

And the sea broke from blues to scarlet red, and white speckles bobbing in the waves brought down tears from above. How the mighty selfishness of dangerous ambition had been their downfall.

Remembering the sight of water from long ago leeches, Sanity saw once again the ocean turning to blood.

20220221095029_1.thumb.jpg.b4fdbcd094ca13ce851a0ceee590cb9a.jpg

Hidden in the grass, Common sat. But he felt something wrong from a long way away.

What happened back at camp? Something he didn't know was running through his veins, and the goodness in his heart seemed to falter as a new color gleamed from Common's chest. And his throat hurt horribly, and he jerked forwards, towards the skies, coughing.

Orange light painted the grasses from his chest, and his forehead felt like it was going to break into sharp horns. At last, Common was able to give this feeling a name; ambition.

• Like 1
  • Eek! 1