Stray Fawn Community

Fitting naming

mhiahia

So I have been attempting to assign each of the syllables I have in my AnimalNames file (half of which are custom) a meaning so I could attempt to decode the names of all my animals. I've had this project for quite some time now (certainly more than one year, perhaps two?) but it is moving pretty slow.

Anyways, the biggest problem coming with this is that no matter what, the random name generation will most certainly give me some nonsensical names once I have it all "translated". But, today I had the pleasure of getting a pretty perfect name!

Meet Ilarin!

20210817145634_1.thumb.jpg.124fa864a56007214d777d2751bd2ec7.jpg

Her name consists of the two syllables Ila and Rin. Ila literally translates to "Rabbil's child" and is traditionally given to albinistic or light-coloured animals. Rin translates to simple and can also be used to describe short-snouted animals or animals with a simple fur color.

So, at least this time the random generator picked out a pretty fitting name!

• Like 2
  • Eek! 3
  • Love 1

17 minutes ago, mhiahia said:

So I have been attempting to assign each of the syllables I have in my AnimalNames file (half of which are custom) a meaning so I could attempt to decode the names of all my animals. I've had this project for quite some time now (certainly more than one year, perhaps two?) but it is moving pretty slow.

Anyways, the biggest problem coming with this is that no matter what, the random name generation will most certainly give me some nonsensical names once I have it all "translated". But, today I had the pleasure of getting a pretty perfect name!

Meet Ilarin!

Her name consists of the two syllables Ila and Rin. Ila literally translates to "Rabbil's child" and is traditionally given to albinistic or light-coloured animals. Rin translates to simple and can also be used to describe short-snouted animals or animals with a simple fur color.

wait wait wait

ok so now we have a new language

because this is how languages work

@Polly @Modiano @Greenza I'm pretty sure you like languages

• Eek! 1

I like languages lol. I kinda have my own that has to do with names but it's only a half dozen words or so. Chiy is bird, An or Anna is beautiful. Me is sad, happy, or very, depending on the tribe. Mar is depressed/sad. And that's about it

Edited by Chiyanna

2 hours ago, Chiyanna said:

I like languages lol. I kinda have my own that has to do with names but it's only a half dozen words or so. Chiy is bird, An or Anna is beautiful. Me is sad, happy, or very, depending on the tribe. Mar is depressed/sad. And that's about it

hmmmmm

so me mar can mean 6 different things

very sad

very deppresed

happy deppresed

happy sad

sad deppresed

and lastly

sad sad

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Katumai said:

I had my own niche language for a while, but since then I've lost the notepad file so I can't access it anymore 😔 I've been trying to make a new one though

why not colonize and combine

ooh i remember trying to do this once : D i took every single one of my MANY syllables and tried to assign each a word.

here's the original doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JVIa2tXu_0LfYqqGOLEXHzcbozAAEaYWB1AEchCv_qY/edit

and here's the redo that i forgot about that i want to work on again now: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JVIa2tXu_0LfYqqGOLEXHzcbozAAEaYWB1AEchCv_qY/edit

(raza! ;))

• Like 2
  • Eek! 1

3 hours ago, mhiahia said:

Just got a male whose name translates to branch-branch-light, which really is amazing naming.

wait I just realized that the names should be what parents WANT the child to be, not what the child already is.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zixvir said:

wait I just realized that the names should be what parents WANT the child to be, not what the child already is.

they want their son to be a light branch

Edited by Sky
stupid autocorrect
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Modiano said:

Maybe if 2 words have the same meaning it's supposed to mean plural or puts emphasis on it

they REALLY want their son to be a branch then..or maybe they want him to be multiple branches at once??

• Haha 2
  • Paw up 1

so it's either BRANCH light or branches light

possibly branches' light

it's probably the third one, meaning they wanted him to be the light that supplies the trees

• Like 1

On 8/17/2021 at 12:31 PM, mhiahia said:

Meet Ilarin!

On 8/17/2021 at 1:10 PM, Chiyanna said:

combine the languages

to make a third language

• Eek! 1

11 hours ago, Zixvir said:

combine the languages

to make a third language

I wouldn't mind that at all. Maybe we should all take the best of our niche languages and combine them together to make an ultra niche language

• Eek! 1