Stray Fawn Community

Remnant Clan (A warrior cats challenge playthrough)

Chiyanna

A Growing Clan Moon 9

1636580325_Screenshot-9_21_20212_40_38PM.thumb.png.c557738859f0e7ada2a7c985280eff42.png

"We will track the murdering rogue down and punish him according to his crime shortly." Fernstar assured her clan, "But first, it is time for us to welcome in a new member of the clan. Lenra, step forward."

The white cat padded toward Fernstar with joy.

"Are you willing to join Remnant Clan? And will you work hard to understand the warrior code and our ways?" Fernstar asked.

"Yes," said Lenra, her eyes sparkling.

"Then from this day on, you will be known as Snowpaw, until you are given your warrior name," Fernstar announced. She then turned to Rootclaw, "Rootclaw, you are fiercely loyal to the clan and a good hunter, I hope you will pass these traits onto your new apprentice."

Rootclaw had been notified ahead of time, but he still looked a bit nervous, "Thank you Fernstar, I will try my best." Beneath the anxiety an excitement bubbled up inside of him as he turned to face his apprentice.

"You may touch noses," Fernstar reminded, mainly for the sake of Snowpaw, who looked embarrassed that she had forgotten what Fernstar had told her about the ceremony earlier.

Fernstar smiled as the two touched noses and the clan began chanting "Snowpaw! Snowpaw!"

Turtlemist was the first to congratulate the cat, having been the one to invite them into the clan. The others followed, congratulating apprentice and mentor in turn.

Then, Fernstar announced something else, "I was unable to tell you earlier, being sick and then with us being scattered in the camp evacuation, but Star Clan has told me and Turtlemist something the rest of you do not know yet." Fernstar felt Turtlemist glaring at her, "There has been a change in the code, and tom medicine cats are able to have kits now so long as they have an apprentice or co-med cat."

The cats below turned to Turtlemist as they murmured amongst themselves. "Is this true?" asked Redfish.

"Yes," said Turtlemist calmly, "but I have no apprentice, and both eligible she-cats are currently expecting," he added with a pointed look at Fernstar's swollen belly. Nobody knew who the father was...and she didn't plan on telling. "so it is of no consequence," he finished.

Fernstar was shocked that he had let the whole clan know he didn't want any kits, letting unravel what they had agreed, what's wrong with him? He won't accept it even if Star Clan themselves have! Why does he hate the thought of having kits so much? Maybe he feels that I have broken our deal, she realized with a jolt, and haven't I? I have prevented the will of Star Clan...I betrayed the clan...and they all must know it, deep down. Who could the father be?

Fernstar realized the whole clan was staring at her, because she was sitting there openly displaying her emotion. She cleared her throat, "Well, no matter whether you choose to take advantage of this or not, you must soon take an apprentice, lest the clan be left with no medicine cat. And Bugkit seems to have a connection to Star Clan." The kit sat up-right at the mention of his name, his ears pricked. He was apprenticing age now, and eager to become useful to his clan.

Turtlemist nodded thoughtfully, "He does, doesn't he? Very well, I will begin to train him in the ways of a medicine cat. Next half-moon we will visit the moonstone together, hopefully we will find it by then. Or Star Clan should be kind enough to send us another Moonstone dream."

"What's a moonstone?" asked Snowpaw.

"A rock that sparkles like the moon that medicine cats and leaders use to communicate with Star Clan on important occasions," Turtlemist explained. The way he was so gentle with Snowpaw...it made Fernstar jealous. Don't be ridiculous! Turtlemist doesn't love anyone but Star Clan! Which is a fine thing for a medicine cat. He's still a fine medicine cat, and a wise cat too...most of the time, anyways. 

"I know of such a rock," said Snowpaw, "it's at the port."

"Port?" asked Redfish, unsure what she meant. Fernstar herself was confused.

"Stepping stones you can take across the ocean to another island. It's perfectly safe. My grandparents took them from the Snowlands. They often told tales of their old home. It sounds dangerous, but exciting," Snowpaw's eyes shone.

"Bring me and Turtlemist to this 'port'," Fernstar ordered. She turned to Rootclaw and Redfish, "you guard the camp when we're gone." Fernstar began walking down the beach, but she couldn't go very fast with her swollen belly.

"Fernstar," said Turtlemist, "you can't come. It would be a risk to your kits traveling. Me and Bugkit will go with Snowpaw."

Fernstar thought a minute, then nodded, it would give Turtlemist a chance to bond with his soon-to-be apprentice. "Rootclaw should go with you, actually, a warrior needs to guard you. We'll be fine here at camp."

Turtlemist nodded and turned away, the patrol left camp, Snowpaw bounding in the lead and Rootclaw guarding the back. The clan is growing, thought Fernstar, but there is danger too. The murderous rogue is somewhere around here, maybe lurking, waiting for his chance to strike. As soon as they get back I must send out a patrol to capture him.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Taman the Murdering Rogue Moon 10

They had finally found the rogue, but things were not going to plan. He had spotted them, and turned to fight the two of them. He couldn't hold them off for long. Rootclaw had expected him to fight, and he was prepared. But then, the rogue turned and belted down the beach. It was not him running away which shocked Rootclaw, but the direction in which he ran. He was headed right toward camp.

Rootclaw and Redfish ran as fast as they could after the rogue. But he still reached camp first. He flew into the air, kicking up sand, ready to pounce on Snowpaw. 

She was in no state to fight, because she was currently ill with the sleeping sickness. She hissed and tried to dodge. Rootclaw watched in horror as the rogue came bearing down own his apprentice.

2019492913_Screenshot-9_21_20212_51_09PM.thumb.png.8aa3bbdfcf3c8c15a6e8e07ae8ce4d73.png

But he was met in the air by another cat, Fernstar. After knocking him out of the air Fernstar tried to pin the rogue, but he pummeled her pregnant belly. That murderer is going to kill Fernstar and her kits! Rootclaw ran with newfound fury. 

The rogue had gotten out from underneath Fernstar without much trouble and was just about to leap onto her. Rootclaw saw his chance and barreled into the tom. He snarled, raking him with his claws.

The rogue snarled too, biting at Rootclaw's neck. Rootclaw moved his head so the tom couldn't get a good bite-hold. He continued to rake the male's belly with his claws. The male head-butted Rootclaw and wiggled out from under him. But then Redfish was upon him.

"You'd be a fool to fight anymore, rogue," growled Redfish, pinning him.

"You're a fool," snarled the rogue, "if you don't kill me while you have the chance."

"That's something I'd take pleasure in doing," hissed Rootclaw, "go on, Redfish, finish him off."

"Not until Fernstar gives the word," growled Redfish, "she must dictate his punishment."

The rogue struggled against Redfish's hold, but it wasn't much use. 

"Bugpaw!" yelled Turtlemist, "help me wash and treat everyone's wounds." Bugpaw looked shaky as he ran over to Turtlemist who was already tending to Fernstar. 

After talking briefly and observing Turtlemist, Bugpaw ran up to Rootclaw and began washing and inspecting his wounds. Rootclaw flashed him a thankful glance. Even being the child of a rogue, Bugpaw was turning out to be an alright medicine cat.

Fernstar then limped over, Rootclaw sat upright, his ears perked to hear what she would have to say.

"What is your name?" she asked the rogue. She's asking his name? What does it matter what he's named? He just attacked our camp, he's a murderer and needs to be punished!

"Taman," growled the rogue, "and don't you forget it either."

"Why not?" asked Fernstar sarcastically.

"Because it will be your downfall," hissed Taman, "I will be your downfall. No matter what happens to me."

Uncertainty and anxiety flashed though Fernstar's eyes. She glanced at Turtlemist, who was now attempting to tend to Redfish's wounds.

"It seems there is much more at work here than one murderer," Turtlemist confirmed with a wispy look in his eyes, "Star Clan has warned us. And they showed us where the body was for a reason."

Fernstar narrowed her eyes, "What do you mean?"

"I ain't telling nothing," the rogue spat.

"Well then," Fernstar growled, "you get no breaks."

"You wouldn't kill me when I'm your only way to find out," said Taman with a smirk.

Fernstar ignored him, turning to Rootclaw she said, "Bring him over here, into the water." Is she going to drown him?

Rootclaw dragged Taman down the beach into the water, with Redfish guarding the back.

"You said you wouldn't kill me!" yowled the rogue.

"I'm not," said Fernstar, "but you will stay in the ocean until you give us the information you need."

1373270187_Screenshot-9_21_20212_51_55PM.thumb.png.60ef05aa9575076064cbd817ece40d4d.png

The waves were now lapping at Rootclaw's neck. "Stop," ordered Fernstar. Rootclaw stopped and turned around. Taman was up to his belly-fur in water.

Rootclaw decided to go around the furious rogue instead of back past him. He won't be able to last long like this before he cracks, thought Rootclaw smugly as he climbed out of the water.

• Like 1
  • Eek! 1

27 minutes ago, Chiyanna said:

Taman the Murdering Rogue Moon 10

They had finally found the rogue, but things were not going to plan. He had spotted them, and turned to fight the two of them. He couldn't hold them off for long. Rootclaw had expected him to fight, and he was prepared. But then, the rogue turned and belted down the beach. It was not him running away which shocked Rootclaw, but the direction in which he ran. He was headed right toward camp.

Rootclaw and Redfish ran as fast as they could after the rogue. But he still reached camp first. He flew into the air, kicking up sand, ready to pounce on Snowpaw. 

She was in no state to fight, because she was currently ill with the sleeping sickness. She hissed and tried to dodge. Rootclaw watched in horror as the rogue came bearing down own his apprentice.

2019492913_Screenshot-9_21_20212_51_09PM.thumb.png.8aa3bbdfcf3c8c15a6e8e07ae8ce4d73.png

But he was met in the air by another cat, Fernstar. After knocking him out of the air Fernstar tried to pin the rogue, but he pummeled her pregnant belly. That murderer is going to kill Fernstar and her kits! Rootclaw ran with newfound fury. 

The rogue had gotten out from underneath Fernstar without much trouble and was just about to leap onto her. Rootclaw saw his chance and barreled into the tom. He snarled, raking him with his claws.

The rogue snarled too, biting at Rootclaw's neck. Rootclaw moved his head so the tom couldn't get a good bite-hold. He continued to rake the male's belly with his claws. The male head-butted Rootclaw and wiggled out from under him. But then Redfish was upon him.

"You'd be a fool to fight anymore, rogue," growled Redfish, pinning him.

"You're a fool," snarled the rogue, "if you don't kill me while you have the chance."

"That's something I'd take pleasure in doing," hissed Rootclaw, "go on, Redfish, finish him off."

"Not until Fernstar gives the word," growled Redfish, "she must dictate his punishment."

The rogue struggled against Redfish's hold, but it wasn't much use. 

"Bugpaw!" yelled Turtlemist, "help me wash and treat everyone's wounds." Bugpaw looked shaky as he ran over to Turtlemist who was already tending to Fernstar. 

After talking briefly and observing Turtlemist, Bugpaw ran up to Rootclaw and began washing and inspecting his wounds. Rootclaw flashed him a thankful glance. Even being the child of a rogue, Bugpaw was turning out to be an alright medicine cat.

Fernstar then limped over, Rootclaw sat upright, his ears perked to hear what she would have to say.

"What is your name?" she asked the rogue. She's asking his name? What does it matter what he's named? He just attacked our camp, he's a murderer and needs to be punished!

"Taman," growled the rogue, "and don't you forget it either."

"Why not?" asked Fernstar sarcastically.

"Because it will be your downfall," hissed Taman, "I will be your downfall. No matter what happens to me."

Uncertainty and anxiety flashed though Fernstar's eyes. She glanced at Turtlemist, who was now attempting to tend to Redfish's wounds.

"It seems there is much more at work here than one murderer," Turtlemist confirmed with a wispy look in his eyes, "Star Clan has warned us. And they showed us where the body was for a reason."

Fernstar narrowed her eyes, "What do you mean?"

"I ain't telling nothing," the rogue spat.

"Well then," Fernstar growled, "you get no breaks."

"You wouldn't kill me when I'm your only way to find out," said Taman with a smirk.

Fernstar ignored him, turning to Rootclaw she said, "Bring him over here, into the water." Is she going to drown him?

Rootclaw dragged Taman down the beach into the water, with Redfish guarding the back.

"You said you wouldn't kill me!" yowled the rogue.

"I'm not," said Fernstar, "but you will stay in the ocean until you give us the information you need."

1373270187_Screenshot-9_21_20212_51_55PM.thumb.png.60ef05aa9575076064cbd817ece40d4d.png

The waves were now lapping at Rootclaw's neck. "Stop," ordered Fernstar. Rootclaw stopped and turned around. Taman was up to his belly-fur in water.

Rootclaw decided to go around the furious rogue instead of back past him. He won't be able to last long like this before he cracks, thought Rootclaw smugly as he climbed out of the water.

When you thought they were gonna waterboard him: 

• Haha 2

Advice on Love Moon 12

Dispite the altercation with Taman, Fernstar carried to term one mainly healthy kit. The rest of the clan thought his deformed paw was a result of that, but Fernstar realized that it likely wasn't. She blamed herself for the loss of their littermates, jumping at Taman had been a foolish thing to do on some levels. But she had to put her clan first, something she didn't always do.

She looked away from Stonekit and over to where Shiningsun was sleeping with her kit. She also, had just one kit. Probably due to her being sick early on in the pregnancy. Lightkit was named after his father, and Turtlemist had pronounced him healthy. 

Movement distracted Fernstar from her thoughts, "Fernstar!" whispered somebody.

Fernstar felt her hackles raising. It was possible it could be one of her clanmates who needed her, but it was also possible it could be Taman or another rogue trying to fool her. On full alert, she slowly walked toward the shape in the darkness, ready to spring on them if neccesary.

"Fernstar! Are you awake?" the voice had a high pitch, she couldn't tell if it was uncertainty, excitement, or concern. But she recognized the voice, and soon her eyes adjusted to the dark.

"Rootclaw!" she exclaimed, "you scared me half to death!"

"I'm so sorry! Wouldn't want you to loose one of your lives, you have precious few of them," he didn't sound mocking, rather sincere and caring were beneath his usual jesting.

She couldn't stiffle a laugh, if she wasn't clan leader she would've given him a friendly shove.

"I...want to talk to you alone," it was hard to read the look in his eyes in the dark.

Fernstar straightened, it must be important, "Of course, we'll talk just outside camp." It might be odd for a leader to see a clan member alone, but Remnant Clan had few members and Fernstar trusted them all. Turtlemist flashed through her mind...well, not all of them liked her, but she was sure they wouldn't betray her. The only one she had ever thought might try and overthrow her was Lightwatcher, and he was in Star Clan now.

Outside of camp, Rootclaw said, "I saw you talking with Turtlemist today."

Fernstar was baffled, why was this so important? "So?"

"It didn't look like he was happy, I assume it was about him fathering your kits?"

Fernstar was a bit shocked, but not much, her shoulders drooped, "It was that easy to guess?"

"When you announced the change in the code, the way you two interacted was enough to give it away then and there. I've supported it with my observations of your interactions since," his voice was calm, not accusing.

"Well then, is that all?" Fernstar said curtly.

"No," said Rootclaw firmly, "it isn't."

"Go on," said Fernstar, her words carrying an unexpected edge.

"I think it's a mistake," Rootclaw replied.

"Have you and Turtlemist conspired against me? Did he think you could convince me to spare him fatherhood?" she hissed.

She could hear the surprise in Rootclaw's voice, "No, nothing like that!" Then he barreled on ahead with his words, "I couldn't give a mouse-turd about Turtlemist. It's you that concerns me. He doesn't love you. He wouldn't be a good father to your kits!"

"I know all this already," said Fernstar, a tear slipping down her cheek, "and it doesn't change a thing. There must be decendants of Swamp Clan in this clan, or it would no longer be the remnant of the clans lost in the disasters, and Star Clan would be angered. Even if they weren't, they could not help us escape the disaster that would befall us."

"Why doesn't Shiningsun have his kits, then?" Rootclaw suggested.

"Shiningsun is my friend. And she has suffered enough already. She has done her service, it is time for me to do mine," Fernstar said the words with a certain detatchment. She had already made up her mind before. She had to be strong.

"But Shiningsun won't be happy. She is in love with no-one here and no-one is in love with her. You'll both be miserable! She'd do it for you, and the sight of your happiness would bring joy to her," insisted Rootclaw.

"There has to be someone in this clan who can be with her..." Fernstar interrupted herself, "and besides, who would be with me?"

"Does it matter? As long as you're with someone who loves you! I can't bear to see you with someone who merely tolerates your existance! Or worse who ignores you completely so your kits grow up fatherless," Rootclaw spoke with such sincerity...such emotion. He cares about me...being happy? It was hard to believe, and if it was true it was even harder not to listen.

"Just talk to Shiningsun about it," pleaded Rootclaw.

She stood there...frozen by a mix of emotions swirling within. She began to shake. Someone licked her shoulder. She looked up to see Rootclaw, his eyes compassionate and concerned. It nearly melted her heart...but she had to put her clan first. There was no room for love, was there?

"I..." it took her a minute to speak further, "I will...speak with Shiningsun." The words came out quickly, as if they had been merely damed up.

-

It was dawn when Fernstar came to her, asking for a word outside of camp. Shiningsun knew it must be terribly important, "but what about the kits?"

"We won't be gone long. Rootclaw will guard the nursery," she said. Shiningsun could tell she was unfocused.

When they were outside camp, Fernstar suddenly wailed, "Oh Shiningsun! I don't know what to do! Part of me wants not to lay this upon your shoulders..."

"I can take it," she replied.

"It's about Turtlemist," groaned Fernstar, "he doesn't want to have kits. Star Clan only knows why since it is no longer forbidden! It seems he wants to have them with me least of all. I'd given up hope on love...but now..."

"Turtlemist is a down-right fool. Any tom would be lucky to have you," Shiningsun purred.

"I know he's a fool, that much is sure. But I...I must be loyal to my clan," a flash of guilt passed in Fernstar's eyes.

"Is this about Stonekit? I don't mean to pry...but everyone knows his father wasn't a clan cat," Shiningsun tried to be as gentle as possible, but she saw anger kindle in Fernstar's gaze.

"I don't want to talk about it," she spat.

"I think you should. It will feel good to get it off your chest. I won't tell anyone what you say to me in confidence," Shiningsun coaxed.

Fernstar sat still for some time, staring out at nothing. Finally, she spoke, her voice filled with sadness, "Remember that loner we encountered on our way back from the old camp after fetching you and Bugkit from it?"

"Yes," Shiningsun said.

"Well, he approached me that evening and said he wanted to talk alone," Fernstar continued.

Shiningsun grew hot with rage, had he taken advantage of Shiningsun the way Taman did her?

"I asked again if he wanted to join the clan, and he said no. We talked for a bit about the island. I tried to glean any information I could about him and the inhabitants. He's an odd sort named Pinky, who thinks cats should live alone. He was somewhat charming.

"And then he confessed that he loved me. I was reeling from Turtlemist's initial rejection at the time. I fell for him. And before you know it I was expecting his child..."

So that's why Fernstar's so guilty. She hadn't been assaulted by a rogue. She fell in love with him. So she couldn't tell such a thing to the clan or they might rebel against her or remove her from leadership or worse. "I understand. Just because someone is born outside the clan...that doesn't make them fundamentally different or unlovable."

"But I betrayed my clan," Fernstar said strongly, "and now I must serve them in any way I can. I must regain the trust Star Clan has put in me. Even if it means I am unhappy, and a fling with a loner is the closest to love I ever get."

"No," said Shiningsun, "I could not bear to see you unhappy for all your days. I will bear the responsibility myself."

"You have already saved my life. I could not let myself be indebted to your further. Let me in some small way repay the debt, let you be the one who is happy," Fernstar's eyes shone with tears.

"And let you out of my debt?" said Shiningsun jokingly, "I quite enjoy being owed."

Fernstar chuckled, but her eyes still were pools of sadness.

"Besides, who shall I become the mate of? Redfish only has eyes for Snowpaw-"

"That poor apprentice!" burst out Fernstar, her tail swishing, "I've seen even Turtlemist looking at her! A young she-cat surrounded by old toms!"

"And neither of which would attempt anything," reminded Shiningsun, "Turtlemist's unwillingness to take a mate is the cause of our sorrow. Redfish is too honorable and has his reputation as deputy to keep up."

Fernstar nodded, "Why don't you ask Rootclaw to be your mate? He's a fine hunter...has a good sense of humor...fiercely loyal..."

"Why don't you? Can't you tell he loves you?" Shiningsun ventured.

"That's ridiculou-" Fernstar stopped mid-sentence, she was thinking. After a minute she said, "It makes sense, doesn't it?"

"And do you love him back?" asked Shiningsun.

"I...I don't know..." but Shiningsun saw the sheepish look in her eyes.

"If you do, you two should become mates. Let me worry about Turtlemist. Who knows? Perhaps we'll find another female that he won't dispise quite so much," Shiningsun said with a playful glint in her eye.

Fernstar nodded. And for the first time in months she was brimming with hope and joy. There was a spring in her step as they entered back into camp.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chiyanna said:

Advice on Love Moon 12

Dispite the altercation with Taman, Fernstar carried to term one mainly healthy kit. The rest of the clan thought his deformed paw was a result of that, but Fernstar realized that it likely wasn't. She blamed herself for the loss of their littermates, jumping at Taman had been a foolish thing to do on some levels. But she had to put her clan first, something she didn't always do.

She looked away from Stonekit and over to where Shiningsun was sleeping with her kit. She also, had just one kit. Probably due to her being sick early on in the pregnancy. Lightkit was named after his father, and Turtlemist had pronounced him healthy. 

Fernstar felt her hackles raising. It was possible it could be one of her clanmates who needed her, but it was also possible it could be Taman or another rogue trying to fool her. On full alert, she slowly walked toward the shape in the darkness, ready to spring on them if neccesary.

"Fernstar! Are you awake?" the voice had a high pitch, she couldn't tell if it was uncertainty, excitement, or concern. But she recognized the voice, and soon her eyes adjusted to the dark.

"I'm so sorry! Wouldn't want you to loose one of your lives, you have precious few of them," he didn't sound mocking, rather sincere and caring were beneath his usual jesting.

She couldn't stiffle a laugh, if she wasn't clan leader she would've given him a friendly shove.

"I...want to talk to you alone," it was hard to read the look in his eyes in the dark.

Fernstar straightened, it must be important, "Of course, we'll talk just outside camp." It might be odd for a leader to see a clan member alone, but Remnant Clan had few members and Fernstar trusted them all. Turtlemist flashed through her mind...well, not all of them liked her, but she was sure they wouldn't betray her. The only one she had ever thought might try and overthrow her was Lightwatcher, and he was in Star Clan now.

"It didn't look like he was happy, I assume it was about him fathering your kits?"

Fernstar was a bit shocked, but not much, her shoulders drooped, "It was that easy to guess?"

"When you announced the change in the code, the way you two interacted was enough to give it away then and there. I've supported it with my observations of your interactions since," his voice was calm, not accusing.

"Have you and Turtlemist conspired against me? Did he think you could convince me to spare him fatherhood?" she hissed.

She could hear the surprise in Rootclaw's voice, "No, nothing like that!" Then he barreled on ahead with his words, "I couldn't give a mouse-turd about Turtlemist. It's you that concerns me. He doesn't love you. He wouldn't be a good father to your kits!"

"I know all this already," said Fernstar, a tear slipping down her cheek, "and it doesn't change a thing. There must be decendants of Swamp Clan in this clan, or it would no longer be the remnant of the clans lost in the disasters, and Star Clan would be angered. Even if they weren't, they could not help us escape the disaster that would befall us."

"Shiningsun is my friend. And she has suffered enough already. She has done her service, it is time for me to do mine," Fernstar said the words with a certain detatchment. She had already made up her mind before. She had to be strong.

"But Shiningsun won't be happy. She is in love with no-one here and no-one is in love with her. You'll both be miserable! She'd do it for you, and the sight of your happiness would bring joy to her," insisted Rootclaw.

"There has to be someone in this clan who can be with her..." Fernstar interrupted herself, "and besides, who would be with me?"

"Does it matter? As long as you're with someone who loves you! I can't bear to see you with someone who merely tolerates your existance! Or worse who ignores you completely so your kits grow up fatherless," Rootclaw spoke with such sincerity...such emotion. He cares about me...being happy? It was hard to believe, and if it was true it was even harder not to listen.

She stood there...frozen by a mix of emotions swirling within. She began to shake. Someone licked her shoulder. She looked up to see Rootclaw, his eyes compassionate and concerned. It nearly melted her heart...but she had to put her clan first. There was no room for love, was there?

"I..." it took her a minute to speak further, "I will...speak with Shiningsun." The words came out quickly, as if they had been merely damed up.

-

It was dawn when Fernstar came to her, asking for a word outside of camp. Shiningsun knew it must be terribly important, "but what about the kits?"

"We won't be gone long. Rootclaw will guard the nursery," she said. Shiningsun could tell she was unfocused.

When they were outside camp, Fernstar suddenly wailed, "Oh Shiningsun! I don't know what to do! Part of me wants not to lay this upon your shoulders..."

"It's about Turtlemist," groaned Fernstar, "he doesn't want to have kits. Star Clan only knows why since it is no longer forbidden! It seems he wants to have them with me least of all. I'd given up hope on love...but now..."

"Turtlemist is a down-right fool. Any tom would be lucky to have you," Shiningsun purred.

"I know he's a fool, that much is sure. But I...I must be loyal to my clan," a flash of guilt passed in Fernstar's eyes.

"Is this about Stonekit? I don't mean to pry...but everyone knows his father wasn't a clan cat," Shiningsun tried to be as gentle as possible, but she saw anger kindle in Fernstar's gaze.

"I think you should. It will feel good to get it off your chest. I won't tell anyone what you say to me in confidence," Shiningsun coaxed.

Fernstar sat still for some time, staring out at nothing. Finally, she spoke, her voice filled with sadness, "Remember that loner we encountered on our way back from the old camp after fetching you and Bugkit from it?"

"Yes," Shiningsun said.

"Well, he approached me that evening and said he wanted to talk alone," Fernstar continued.

Shiningsun grew hot with rage, had he taken advantage of Shiningsun the way Taman did her?

"I asked again if he wanted to join the clan, and he said no. We talked for a bit about the island. I tried to glean any information I could about him and the inhabitants. He's an odd sort named Pinky, who thinks cats should live alone. He was somewhat charming.

"And then he confessed that he loved me. I was reeling from Turtlemist's initial rejection at the time. I fell for him. And before you know it I was expecting his child..."

So that's why Fernstar's so guilty. She hadn't been assaulted by a rogue. She fell in love with him. So she couldn't tell such a thing to the clan or they might rebel against her or remove her from leadership or worse. "I understand. Just because someone is born outside the clan...that doesn't make them fundamentally different or unlovable."

"But I betrayed my clan," Fernstar said strongly, "and now I must serve them in any way I can. I must regain the trust Star Clan has put in me. Even if it means I am unhappy, and a fling with a loner is the closest to love I ever get."

"No," said Shiningsun, "I could not bear to see you unhappy for all your days. I will bear the responsibility myself."

"You have already saved my life. I could not let myself be indebted to your further. Let me in some small way repay the debt, let you be the one who is happy," Fernstar's eyes shone with tears.

"And let you out of my debt?" said Shiningsun jokingly, "I quite enjoy being owed."

"That poor apprentice!" burst out Fernstar, her tail swishing, "I've seen even Turtlemist looking at her! A young she-cat surrounded by old toms!"

"And neither of which would attempt anything," reminded Shiningsun, "Turtlemist's unwillingness to take a mate is the cause of our sorrow. Redfish is too honorable and has his reputation as deputy to keep up."

Fernstar nodded, "Why don't you ask Rootclaw to be your mate? He's a fine hunter...has a good sense of humor...fiercely loyal..."

"That's ridiculou-" Fernstar stopped mid-sentence, she was thinking. After a minute she said, "It makes sense, doesn't it?"

"If you do, you two should become mates. Let me worry about Turtlemist. Who knows? Perhaps we'll find another female that he won't dispise quite so much," Shiningsun said with a playful glint in her eye.

Fernstar nodded. And for the first time in months she was brimming with hope and joy. There was a spring in her step as they entered back into camp.

Pinky the rouge my beloved

MaybeTurtlemistdoesntwantkitsbecausehesnotinterestedinshecats-

*Runs away*

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Chiyanna said:

Advice on Love Moon 12

-

"Yes," Shiningsun said.

Mh, Rootclaw's feelings are a bit too sudden, or a least not subtle enough in my opinion

Just now, Modths are butterflies said:

Mh, Rootclaw's feelings are a bit too sudden, or a least not subtle enough in my opinion

Also why are Redfish and Turtlemist interested in that way to a child that's kind of disturbing. Turtlemist is probably a horrible being so I'm not surprised (I'll make a post explaining why).

3 minutes ago, Modths are butterflies said:

Well he has been hiding them for months, so they kinda just spill out now. I agree the story has flaws. I'm not great at describing romance

3 minutes ago, Modths are butterflies said:

Also why are Redfish and Turtlemist interested in that way to a child that's kind of disturbing. Turtlemist is probably a horrible being so I'm not surprised (I'll make a post explaining why).

(yeah I know...this is literally just cause of dice rolls?? Though Snowpaw was actually only a few days (or moons) off from being an adult nicheling when I found her and has actually grown to an adult in the game. Once we travel to the new island she will be given her warrior name.

I want to pass on her genes but Bugpaw is the only one her age and he isn't interested? I think medicine cats will still be reluctant to have kits, even after Turtlemist because it will take them away from their duties so I guess that makes sense. Snowpaw is attracted to Rootclaw but he's her mentor so for mw that's just weirder

2 minutes ago, Modths are butterflies said:

At least it's not a cringe fest like mine! (Seriously, my first playthrough is terrible)

thanks for the encouragement! I do think things will smooth out more romantically once the clan grows and there are more choices

1 minute ago, Chiyanna said:

(yeah I know...this is literally just cause of dice rolls?? Though Snowpaw was actually only a few days (or moons) off from being an adult nicheling when I found her and has actually grown to an adult in the game. Once we travel to the new island she will be given her warrior name.

I want to pass on her genes but Bugpaw is the only one her age and he isn't interested? I think medicine cats will still be reluctant to have kits, even after Turtlemist because it will take them away from their duties so I guess that makes sense. Snowpaw is attracted to Rootclaw but he's her mentor so for mw that's just weirder

I suppose Snowpaw being attracted to her mentor would be more of a teacher crush. It'd be creepier if Rootclaw was the one who was attracted

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Modths are butterflies said:

Starclan: If you don't have a child the clan and its culture will literally perish and your clanmates will suffer and probably die horribly. Have a child we even changed the law for this please have it with anyone we don't care who it is

Turtlemist: Nah

(there is actually a deeper reason he doesn't want to be with anybody...but I haven't touched on it till now. I think I probably should do that next. It will give his character more depth than just: I won't have kits cause just no it's not traditional or I dislike them or I'm incapable of feeling love toward anyone. Oh and by the way I'm lusting after a teenager anyways

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chiyanna said:

(there is actually a deeper reason he doesn't want to be with anybody...but I haven't touched on it till now. I think I probably should do that next. It will give his character more depth than just: I won't have kits cause just no it's not traditional or I dislike them or I'm incapable of feeling love toward anyone. Oh and by the way I'm lusting after a teenager anyways

He was aro-ace all along!