Stray Fawn Community

Remnant Clan (A warrior cats challenge playthrough)

Chiyanna

The Choice Moon 19

Redfish had helped Rootclaw carve up enough meat for everyone to eat. Then they has stashed the fox carcass in the snow.

Him and Snowbridge were eating a chunk of fox meat together. They were talking and laughing. By now the word had gotten around the whole camp that they were mates. Redfish didn't mind at all. All that mattered is that Snowbridge loved him.

"One day we'll tell our kits how the clan ate a fox once," she purred.

This made him worried. Would he be able to have kits? Why hadn't the strange cat appeared again? Would he live to meet them, and to see them grow up? Turtlemist had come to Fernstar to talk about greencough. With the weather getting colder and snow on the ground, it was more likely for cats to catch it, he said. What if I get greencough? 

"Is everything alright?" asked Snowbridge, worry in her eyes.

"It's just...I won't be here forever. I may have retire soon and I don't know how long before..."

"Before you go to join Star Clan?" she finished for him.

"Right," he said.

"I know that," she told him, "I know we may not have much time together, but that's only a reason to treasure every moment we do have." She began to groom him.

She was taking it better than him, "I just...want you to be happy."

"I am happy," she purred, "and Star Clan willing, we still have moons to spend together. And I will see you again in Star Clan no matter what."

Her words soothed him, but still he worried deep down.

-

Redfish was in the place of tall trees again.

"Hello again," said the strange cat, "congradulations on you and Snowbridge becoming mates."

"Well it seems I didn't need your help after all," Redfish said, turning to face the cat.

"I did help," said the cat, bristling.

"I told you not to!" hissed Redfish. "I wanted to be with her only if she loved me! Not because-"

"She did love you," growled the cat, "she just needed a little nudge. She's like you, too afraid of rejection to tell the other cat how she feels. It would've been very sad for two cats to die having always loved eachother but never showing it. So I did something."

Redfish still had his fur bristled, but his tone was more even, "Thanks I guess. But now I don't need your help anymore."

The cat looked offended, "Wrong, dead wrong, Redfish," he hissed, "you and Snowbridge may be mates, but what use is it if you retire to the elder den? You're around that age where your body begins to get weaker and give out. You won't be able to carry on with your warrior and deputy duties. Gone will be the days of hunting with Snowbridge and patrolling with Rootclaw, fighting for your clan, organizing patrols, and so on. 

You won't be able to be alone with your mate outside of camp. Not to mention that you're past your kit bearing years. And more is at stake than your mate's dreams of having them. Have you forgotten about the Wrath of Star Clan?"

Suddenly the strange cat was gone, and Redfish was standing in front of two paths. 

"What's going on?" he asked, confused.

"Come and see," said a starry cat, walking past him toward the path to the right.

Redfish followed. As he walked upon the path, he began to have horrible visions. He saw his clan mates. They were afraid. Some of them were dead, others were running or fighting. Blood was everywhere. He couldn't see what had caused this. But their yowls of fear echoed in his mind. 

"What is this?" he asked the starry cat, frightened.

"The wrath of Star Clan," they replied.

After a minute more of watching the terrifying scene, he closed his eyes to it all, shaking. And then he wasn't there anymore. He opened his eyes, he was back at the path.

The starry cat was standing next to the other path. It beckoned him to come with its tail.

Redfish slowly padded toward the path. Walking along the path, he had another vision. He was standing in a dark, cold place. The starry cat was next to him, and in the sky stars shed light onto the dark place.

Then he saw a cat. Its eyes gleamed with hatred and its fur radiated shadow.

"Who is that?" he asked the starry cat.

The cat did not reply, but slowly began to fade. The stars in the sky also started to dim, "Don't leave me!" he wailed. But they continued to leave.

Now it was pitch black. He could not even see the shadow cat. But then he saw a glowing cat, and from its light he could dimly see. He walked toward it, wanting to see better. But then he spotted the shadow cat. It pounced on the glowing cat and bit down on its neck.

Redfish ran toward them, but he was too late. The light was dimming already as the glowing cat slumped. And to his horror, now that he was close, he recognized the shadow cat. It was himself.

He ran from the scene, trying to forget. But it was again pitch black. He tripped over something. Standing, he spotted another light right ahead of him, brighter than before. He ran toward it, and saw it was another glowing cat.

He also realised he knew and cared about this cat, but he couldn't see who it was beneath the light it radiated. 

Then he spotted another cat, this one radiated shadow. It looked similair to him, but not the same. It pounced at the glowing cat, but this one was ready. The two fought in a whirling fury of claws. The fighting style of the cat was also similair to his.

Then he realized as he caught a glimpse of the cat that it looked like Snowbridge too...it was her kit, his kit. And now the glowing cat had it pinned. It was afraid.

But then another cat leapt at the glowing cat. It was strong and sleek, and looked like him, but younger, about the age of the other one. It quickly sank its fangs into the glowing cats neck and raked its claws down its back as the pinned cat raked its claws down the glowing cats belly.

He realized as the glowing cat began to slump that the new cat was his son. Then the glowing cats light faded, and it was pitch black. 

He stood again before the two paths, "Choose."

"I choose neither!" he hissed at the starry cat.

The starry cat's eyes shone with sympathy, "Place a paw upon each path and see what happens."

Redfish hesitated, and the cat nudged him forward.

He walked toward the path to the right. He put a paw upon it and immediately his strength drained out of him. He felt weak and terrified. He heard Snowbridge crying. 

"I can't," he heard himself say.

"Will he be alright?" he heard Snowbridge ask.

"He's going downhill fast, I'll try but there's not much I can do," Turtlemist answered.

"Fernstar must appoint the new deputy before moonhigh," said Rootclaw, voice ladden with grief.

"What can I do?" asked Fernstar.

"There is nothing you can do," said a strange voice.

"I failed! I failed my clan!" Fernstar yowled.

And then came the noises from the vision of the Wrath of Star Clan.

Redfish could barely take his paw off the path. It took all his strength just to do that. He sat there for a minute, panting, breathing fast, and crying, and another minute to try and recover his strength. But he still felt weak. Shuddering, he backed away from the path.

"Come," said the starry cat, he looked to see them standing by the other path.

Redfish dragged himself over. He dreaded seeing what the other path would bring, but he went out of the hope that it would be better.

Putting his paw upon the path, strength surged into him. Strength and power. He felt invincible. 

"What have you done?" Snowbridge screamed at him.

But he barely cared. And that terrified him. He realized his heart was drowning in hatred. 

But then he heard a she-cat say, "It doesn't matter what they say. Father, you did the right thing." And he saw her, it was the cat the glowing cat had pinned. His daughter. 

And beside her was his son. Darkness permeated from him. He had blood on his muzzle and his paws. He dipped his head to Redfish in respect.

He saw them playing as kits. But then he saw them killing the glowing cat. His heart was torn. He knew that they would never exist if he chose to face the wrath of Star Clan. But if they did exist, who would they kill? What evil would they do?

He saw before him the paths again. "Choose," said the starry cat.

"But I can't!"

"You must," said the starry cat.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Modeer said:

Okay but seriously why wouldn't Starclan tell every member about the whole "blood of all the clans" thing? How the heck are they supposed to know? Did thry expect Fernstar to have everyone's babies?

(I mean in the books Star Clan only tells like one or 2 cats prophecies and they have to figure out what it means and do something about it. Like Firestar being the only one to have the vision about Tiger and Lion meeting in battle and blood ruling the forest. 

Also IDK why Fernstar wasn't telling Redfish he needed to hurry up and have children I guess she assumed that since he was in love with Snowbridge they'd get together eventually. Also she probably doesn't realise how old Redfish really is

It's pretty much worked out all right the way Fernstar has descreetly dealt with it. Tho she coulda told everyone if she wanted to. Redfish is now the only one of the original 6 who hasn't had kits. Oh wait nvm Rootclaw exists but Fernstar is preggo so)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chiyanna said:

(I mean in the books Star Clan only tells like one or 2 cats prophecies and they have to figure out what it means and do something about it. Like Firestar being the only one to have the vision about Tiger and Lion meeting in battle and blood ruling the forest. 

Also IDK why Fernstar wasn't telling Redfish he needed to hurry up and have children I guess she assumed that since he was in love with Snowbridge they'd get together eventually. Also she probably doesn't realise how old Redfish really is

It's pretty much worked out all right the way Fernstar has descreetly dealt with it. Tho she coulda told everyone if she wanted to. Redfish is now the only one of the original 6 who hasn't had kits. Oh wait nvm Rootclaw exists but Fernstar is preggo so)

still seems really stupid of starclan to get pissed at the cats they didnt tell anything about, like:

"Hey they should have kids."

"Do we tell them?"

"lol no thatd make sense, were starclan"

"Oh yeah right. and if they dont have kids we kill them"

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Modeer said:

still seems really stupid of starclan to get pissed at the cats they didnt tell anything about, like:

"Do we tell them?"

(yeah lol ik

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Modeer said:

"Do we tell them?"

12 minutes ago, Chiyanna said:

(yeah lol ik

Honestly this whole thing started when I was like:

"We should have all the original clans represented in the lineage cause they're all cool that would be cool."

And then

"Yeah cause it wouldn't rlly be Remnant Clan otherwise cause there wouldn't be a remnant of all the clans that died."

And then I realized that couldn't happen cause Turtlemist wouldn't betray the code to have kits as a medicine cat. So I had to think of a good reason that he would have kits

And I was like "Oh a message from Star Clan that would do it! But it would have to be pretty important and it should apply to everyone not just Turtlemist."

And thus it was born and I rlly didn't think about what it meant or what the wrath of star clan even was it just sounded good (by good I mean dramatic)

Now I'm thinking that it probably has something to do with the Star Clan cats who were from the clan of the cat with no decendants. It probably has to do with Star Clan fighting amongst themselves or that clan fading from the ranks of Star Clan and so Star Clan cannot protect the cats as well. Or that clan of Star Clan cats tries to kill off the rest of the living cats to prevent themselves from fading into...wherever cats go after Star Clan. 

Or maybe all of Star Clan are attacking the living cats just to avenge the clan that now is forever faded from existance even in the afterlife. 

I don't really know for sure.

• Like 2

The Sign Moon 19

"You must choose," repeated the starry cat, "you cannot leave until you do."

"Does that mean I won't wake up until I choose?" he asked the starry cat.

They nodded, and then faded away.

What will my clan do if I never wake up? I'll die of dehydration or starvation eventually! Snowbridge will be devastated! But maybe that won't happen after all...maybe these cats have some power to pause time so that I could be stuck in this dream forever while the rest of the world is on hold... Either way it's not good.

Though the starry cat was gone, the paths still remained. And the strange cat was now there again; he was beside the left path. So if I accept his bargain, I have chosen the left path, Redfish suddenly realized. The strange cat simply looked at him. He didn't ask him what had just happened, or why he was standing there fixing his gaze on something non-existent. He knows! He knows about the starry cat and the visions! And there was annoyance in his gaze, too, and he doesn't like it one bit. He isn't annoyed at me, he's annoyed at the starry cat.

Seeing Redfish looking at him, the strange cat beckoned him with his tail. He looked like he wanted to say something, but he could say nothing. No words came out of his mouth. This decision must be mine, and mine alone, uninfluenced by him. Redfish padded forward, he must choose. That is what the starry cat said.

Still unsure of which path, he decided to walk between the two. A couple steps forward and his paws landed, accidentally, on both paths at once. A feeling of peace washed over him. Is this possible? Could I choose both somehow? He half expected a third, middle path to appear. But though he waited for some time, it did not. Eventually, the feeling of peace faded.

He first looked to the right path. He heard the screams and wails of his clanmates. His heart thudded in his chest as he recalled what he had seen in his vision. He turned from it, toward the left path. He saw him killing the first glowing cat, and his son and daughter killing the second.

Rattled, he turned back to the other path. But this time he saw the Wrath of Starclan clearer than before. He saw Fernstar wailing over tiny bodies. He saw Shiningsun fighting to defend a couple kits, as Turtlemist and her remaining kits laid nearby. To Redfish's horror, he realized Turtlemist was dead, and so were the kits with him. Bugpaw wailed upon seeing the bodies of his mentor and half-siblings. The snow was red with blood. But worst of all was the body of Snowbridge, badly mangled, almost beyond recognition. Redfish himself wailed in grief, but he could not even press his nose to his mate. There was an invisible wall between she and him.

The vision was gone now, and Redfish was crying and breathing heavily. Exhausted, he didn't want to turn toward the other path, fearing worse, but he wanted something, anything, to block out the things he had just seen. Before him stood his daughter and son. His son's coat was matted and stained with blood, he focused his eyes on his daughter. "It doesn't matter what they say. Father, you did the right thing."

I hope you're right, he thought, nearly saying the words aloud. It didn't matter what it cost, he had to prevent the Wrath of Star Clan from occurring. I wish I hadn't backed myself into this corner...I wish I had told Snowbridge of my feelings long ago, with no nudging from a strange...no, a dark cat. He shivered as he thought of the monster the visions showed him his son would become, but he figured he could deal with that when the time came.

"I accept your offer," Redfish said to the strange cat, trying to sound confident.

"Good," he purred, "now, listen carefully. Bring her over to the rocks just outside camp where she first admitted her feelings for you. The rogue you chased out during the foxes' attack of camp will be nearby. Do not chase him away. Attempt kits with Snowbridge, and he'll go running."

"How do you know?" asked Redfish, suspicious and alarmed.

"He's already afraid of you, if he knows she's your mate, he won't dare come near her. His brother got his throat ripped out after trying to steal a girl," the cat said this too casually, "Well, anyways, once you obey my instructions I will know for sure that you've really accepted my deal. And so will you."

"I already told you I accept," growled Redfish, afraid the cat would back out on his part of the bargain.

"Words are cheap," said the cat, "actions prove where your true loyalties lie." With that he faded into darkness.

-

Redfish had arranged for him and Snowbridge to go out on hunting patrol at the rocks. Nobody questioned it, since that was a prime hunting location. 

Now they were there. He figured they ought to hunt first.

It didn't take them long to stack up on mice and voles, unfortunately there wasn't much else hiding under the rocks, but they got enough to feed the clan for a couple days.

Chasing after a mouse, Snowbridge accidentally bumped into Redfish, "Tag, you're it!" she said teasingly.

"Huh?"

"Oh, it's just a game we used to play when I was a kit," she said, her eyes shining with the memory.

"Teach me," he told her.

"It's not that hard. All you do is one cat is the tagger. They run after another cat and tag, or touch, them with any part of their body. You can't tag the cat's tail since they might not notice, but hind legs are fair game. Once the other cat is tagged, they become the tagger and chase the others."

"Ah, I see," said Redfish, "well in that case...you're it!" he said, touching his nose to hers and darting away.

She giggled and chased after him. He ran to the other side of the rocks and hid in a crevice. He saw her looking this way and that, and sniffing the air...then suddenly she ran right for his hiding spot. He darted out, but she tagged his flank with her paw.

"You're it!" she said enthusiastically, and then ran away, back around the other side of the rocks.

He caught up to her, though, and tagged her hind leg with his paw. She whirled around, but he jumped over her, running away from the rocks. He was having so much fun...

But then he saw the rogue he had chased off before, and froze in his tracks. It wasn't really that a rogue was on his territory, nor was it that the rogue was a threat to Snowbridge, nor that it was interrupting their carefree game. It was that the presence of the rogue confirmed that the dreams he had been having were real, or at least connected to reality. It was the fact that he now knew he had to make that dreaded choice, for real, that made him stop in his tracks, terrified.

Snowbridge slammed into the back of him, and they rolled in the snow together for a minute.

Seeing his face, she asked him, "What's wrong?"

"No-nothing," he lied, trying his best to purr at her.

"There must be something," she said, unconvinced.

He began to lick her face, "Come closer my love."

706550380_Screenshot-11_10_20212_52_11PM.thumb.png.1907db0a490757dc566bf6abe5d07ab2.png

By the time the two were done the rogue was long gone. The strange cat had told him the truth, about this at least. Snowbridge will give birth to my kits in about 3 moons time. And I have excepted the sordid deal that will save my clan from a terrible fate...at least I hope it will.

79383247_Screenshot-11_10_20212_54_51PM.thumb.png.4a4b53252aecc770c79b1b99d32a575b.png

• Like 1
  • Eek! 2

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

(I will be updating my other playthroughs as soon as I figure out what was going on with them, but for now here's a quick RemnantClan post. Hope you enjoy! (And I won't lie, this is one of my favorite playthroughs...but seeing as it's tied with Prehistoric Salt Black and White (+Ketchup) and the one beating them is one that I literally have no idea what's going on...I figured something was better than nothing) Enjoy!)

Moon 20:

Poor Lightkit had been pretty traumatized by the birth of his siblings during the fox attack. The birth was fairly rough, and though all the kits made it thanks to Turtlemist’s expert care Shingingsun couldn’t help herself from screaming. The first time he actually saw his siblings, he didn’t seem very interested, calling them “pink blobs”. But now that he saw them growing into kits, he asked to play with them.

1563678373_Screenshot-11_10_20212_57_34PM.thumb.png.8f357a3aa88710047d76c7f3275e2ad7.png (ignore Fernstar, this is the best one of all the kits I have)

“But why can’t they play?” he nagged, “All they do is sleep all the time!”

“When you were this young, you didn’t play much either. Give them time, they’ll grow.” Shingingsun gently scolded, her litter sleeping at her side.

“But I’m bored! I’ve only ever had Stonekit to play with,” he said.

Stonekit swished his tail, narrowing his eyes. Shingingsun frowned, nearly sighing, it is understandable, he is awful cooped up in this nursery, and since the kits have been born I haven’t had much time to spend with him.

“I mean, you’re not that boring,” said Lightkit to Stonekit, “you’re pretty fun actually. It’s just I’m always doing the same things…”

“Yeah, you’re right,” said Stonekit, “it would be nice to have new playmates.”

“These kits are still too young and too fragile,” said Turtlemist, “they’re only a couple weeks old, and you’re much bigger and older. In fact, maybe you’re even getting too old for the nursery.”

Shiningsun took a good look at her kit, Turtlemist was right, he was awful big, and Stonekit wasn’t far behind.

“Really?” asked Lightkit, suddenly excited, “Does that mean-”

Turtlemist looked at Shiningsun, and she nodded, “Yes,” he said, “I’ll talk to Fernstar.”

423045336_Screenshot-11_10_20212_59_29PM.thumb.png.d7af3a846d22a26dbba20a6d6316711a.png

“Today is an important day in Remnant Clan,” began Fernstar, “Two kits are ready to enter into the next stage of their life. Lightkit, Stonekit, step forward.”

Lightkit held his head high, his eyes shining. Stonekit seemed a bit anxious. Shiningsun watched her kit with pride, (Turtlemist watching her new litter for the moment), and Fernstar felt the same pride for her son. She reassured him with a small smile before continuing.

“You have both reached the age of at least six moons, and are ready to become an apprentice. From this day on, you will be known as Lightpaw, and Stonepaw,” she nodded at each kit as she said their respective names, “Lightpaw, your mentor will be Rootclaw. I hope he will pass down everything he knows to you.

“Rootclaw, come forward. You trained Snowbridge well, and are ready to take on a new apprentice, I hope you will train Lightpaw with the same skill and vigor. May you pass on your loyalty and fighting techniques.”

Lightpaw and Rootclaw touched noses, then Fernstar continued, “Stonepaw, your mentor will be Redfish. I hope he will pass down everything he knows to you. Redfish, come forward. You have worked hard and loyally as the clan’s deputy through our challenging formative years, and spent many years as a warrior before that. You have experience and honor, I hope you will pass these things on to your apprentice.”

Stonepaw slowly turned to touch noses with his mentor, and Redfish patiently waited before touching noses with his new apprentice.

“Lightpaw! Stonepaw!” chanted the clan before cats moved in to congratulate the two new apprentices. Hope flickered in Fernstar as she watched her clanmates. Despite their challenges, the clan was growing. She just hoped she wouldn’t let them down.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

• 4 weeks later...

The First Case of Greencough Moon 21:

About a moon into Lightpaw's training, as they were training apprentices together as usual, Redfish noticed Rootclaw lagging. He also had a sore throat, cloudy eyes, and a cough.

"You should really have Turtlemist check you out," he suggested to his friend while the apprentices were practicing their hunting skills.

"It's noth-" Rootclaw coughed, "ing."

"It's not nothing. Look, I know the clan needs good hunters right now, and you don't want to slack on your mentor duties, but you won't be any good if this gets worse because you don't have it treated. Why don't you have Turtlemist take a look at you right now?"

"But what about Lightpaw? I can't just abandon him," growled Rootclaw.

"You're not. I can fill in for you while you go get checked out. Think what Fernstar would say, she would order you to be checked out I'm sure. She worries about you because she loves you, and with your kits due next moon she is even more nervous. She needs you to be there when they arrive, and you need to be well when they're born."

"Fine," he growled with another cough, "You're right. I'm just afraid Turtlemist won't let me hunt."

"He knows the current prey situation as well as anyone else. I'm sure he'll be reasonable."

1462747523_Screenshot-11_10_20213_09_35PM.thumb.png.48d48a9e51a7331d1a5b28cce562278a.png

(No screenshot of this exact scene unfortunately, though they were actually training their apprentices/hunting together in-game! Rootclaw rolled greencough when I rolled for sickness outbreaks)

When Fernstar saw Turtlemist approaching, she wondered if he had any news from StarClan. She herself had been having weird dreams lately, nothing specific she remembered, just a foreboding feeling.

"Any news?"

"I'm afraid so," he said, "Rootclaw has caught greencough."

"Greencough?" Fernstar asked in a bit of disbelief, "It isn't even the cold season of this island yet."

"Well, greencough may be a year-round occurrence here, just as the cold is. I will treat him best I can. It appears he only has a mild case, but if he goes out of camp to hunt it could get worse. He may have to rest in my den for a couple moons."

"Then have him do it," Fernstar said, "we'll manage."

"He's not fond of the idea," Turtlemist said dryly.

"Well I'll just have to tell him in person to do so," said Fernstar.

"As long as you are quick," said Turtlemist, "and don't have too many interactions. Catching greencough could be detrimental to your pregnancy."

Fernstar sighed, a pit settling in her stomach as she realized she wouldn't be able to see her mate much the next couple moons, in this very important time just before their kits were born, "I know, Turtlemist, I know you're right."

I just hope he gets better before the kits are born, or soon after.

1388567_Screenshot-11_10_20213_09_54PM.thumb.png.c93f47212b1a8d6f244b3e8670a5a475.png

(Also on a totally unrelated note:

The clan encountered its first Walrus Deer, or elk as they will be known in the story/playthrough cannon. Snowbridge knew something about it from stories and shared all she knew with Fernstar.

-

"If Rootclaw is sick, who will mentor me?" nervously asked Lightpaw.

"Well, since Rootclaw and Redfish often train you and Stonepaw together, it would make sense for Redfish to temporarily mentor you both."

"Really?" asked Lightpaw, obviously excited, "I mean, it would be an honor to study directly under the clan deputy." Does Lightpaw not like having Rootclaw as his mentor? Seeing the expression flicker through Fernstar's face, he quickly added, "Rootclaw is a great mentor, though, I hope he gets well soon. And competing for a mentor's time with another apprentice will be difficult, though me and Stonepaw get along fine."

"Redfish is an excellant mentor and deputy. I'm glad you're so excited to train under him, and hope that excitement translates into obediance and learning. You will be training under Rootclaw again as soon as he is better. That's all, you're dismissed."

Lightpaw nodded and left the leader's den, to find Redfish who already knew of his new assignment.

• Like 1

Rootclaw's Ill-conceived Outing Moon 22:

Bugpaw rushed into the nursery, not at all himself, "Fernstar! Turtlemist!"

"Bugpaw? What is it?" Turtlemist asked.

"It's Rootclaw! He's gone!" Gone? thought Fernstar, it can't be!

"What do you mean gone?" she asked, jumping up from her nest.

"I thought I told you to keep an eye on him," hissed Turtlemist.

"I was, but I was sorting herbs and, well, it appears he made and squeezed through a small hole in the back of the den. I couldn't have even known, since he didn't go out through the main entrance," Bugpaw said, looking at his paws.

"And you noticed nothing until he was gone? Didn't you know how eager the mouse-brain was to get out there and hunt?" growled Turtlemist to his apprentice.

"It doesn't matter how he got out there," said Fernstar to break up the spat, "what matters now is finding my mate. Who, for your information, is a loyal and smart warrior, not a mouse-brain."

Turtlemist took a deep breath, "Yes I know, but he's a miserable patient. And he's bound to make his greencough worse, out there in the snow."

"Then let's go find him," said Fernstar, starting for the entrance.

"You're not going to head out there yourself, are you?" Turtlemist asked.

"Of course I am," snapped Fernstar. "He's my mate, and he's in danger. I haven't been able to be there for him this past moon. I must be there for him now."

"But what about your kits? They're due any day now!"

"A few hours in the cold won't hurt my pregnancy, but the minutes another cat shaves away from the search may be imperative to finding Rootclaw, before...something happens to him." I have ti find him. I can't imagine raising our kits without him.

1049292026_Screenshot-11_10_20213_11_45PM.thumb.png.94058365b96976fc8cc6d72486ddf860.png

Walking through camp, the group ran into Lightpaw, "Where's Redfish?" Fernstar asked him, "We need him to organize a search party."

The apprentice set down a bird that was in his mouth, "Him, Stonepaw, and I were out hunting. I caught this bird and he old me to bring it back to camp to feed the queens. What's going on?"

904060940_Screenshot-11_10_20213_23_28PM.thumb.png.35fdae943b65c5199b944421383361f0.png

"No time to explain," Fernstar said, "lead us to him."

Lightpaw looked curious and slightly irritated, but he complied, "Sure I guess."

Fernstar turned to Turtlemist, "You and Bugpaw stay here to guard the camp. With so many kits around predators are bound to show up. Mostly hawks, you can scare those off or protect the kits from them, right?"

"Yes, but-"

"No buts, we don't have enough time. We'll yowl or send back an apprentice when we find him. Then you can come and tend to him. Warriors and apprentices will be faster at searching, and able to handle any dangers. Otherwise we would have to worry about defending you two as well."

Turtlemist sighed, "It's your decision. I'll be waiting to be sent for."

"Good," said Fernstar.

"StarClan be with you," said Bugpaw as the group followed Lightpaw out of camp.

1426259984_Screenshot-11_10_20213_26_56PM.thumb.png.bb2a353acfa39795fb3d5676871e1db9.png

After half an hour of searching, the group encountered Rootclaw. He was shivering on the ground, holding an ice-encrusted mouse between his jaws. 

Fernstar rushed to him in order to warm him up. She cuddled up against him and started licking his ears, "You mouse-brain, sneaking out of camp like that! What did you think would happen?"

"I-I c-caught th-his mouse," he said, teeth chattering, and then he sneezed.

"Go get Turtlemist," Redfish told Stonepaw, "Hurry."

Stonepaw nodded and scurried off.

"I'm just so glad we found you," purred Fernstar, realized now wasn't the time to give him a lecture, "you're going to be alright now." I hope.

Lightpaw was worriedly looking at his mentor, "How can I help?"

"Help me warm him up," Fernstar said, glad he offered.

684181086_Rootclawfound1.PNG.22abceae2c96e1e81aac23f8103fcf0e.PNG

Turtlemist checked Rootclaw over. His symptoms and vitals were worse than they were before. "I'm afraid it's not good," he whispered to Fernstar.

Rootclaw didn't even react to the whispering. That's not a good sign.

"Let's get him back to camp," said Fernstar, "he'll be better off there and you can nurse him back to health."

New Life and Sickness Moon 23

In the week after Rootclaw's rescue, both Turtlemist and Fernstar caught greencough.

783756718_Screenshot-10_17_20225_01_31PM.thumb.png.10e10c810ab9701ee4b05909d0fedc56.png

(The moment of infection. Fernstar and Turtlemist were infected naturally through the game. Lightpaw wasn't, despite being next to him overnight.)

The three of them have been in what was the nursery for a couple weeks. The kits and queens had been moved to a temporary nursery.

572547739_Screenshot-10_17_20225_27_15PM.thumb.png.402510f3950cc1462954f362f78b9e06.png

Turtlemist was lucky to have a very mild infection, but his paws were full trying to hold off Rootclaw's now life-threatening illness, and tend to Fernstar, whose pregnancy was nearing its due date. Bugpaw was stuck tending to Snowbridge, who was also almost ready to give birth, alone. Turtlemist didn't even leave the old nursery for fear of spreading the disease.

Turtlemist was mixing herbs when Lightpaw came to the entrance, holding prey in his jaws.

"Set the prey at the entrance, like usual," said Turtlemist, "any news?"

"Nothing major. Snowbridge is close to having her kits, Bugpaw says. Redfish and Stonepaw are on hunting patrol, like usual. I'm going to join them after this."

"Just keep a reasonable distance in case you catch something from us," Turtlemist cautioned.

"I know," said Lightpaw, rolling his eyes.

"Well be on your way then, more prey's always needed," Turtlemist replied.

"Good morning, sweetheart," purred Fernstar.

Turtlemist saw her interacting with Rootclaw out of the corner of his eye.

Fernstar began grooming her mate, and although his licks were weak and less frequent, he groomed her back.

"Any news?" Rootclaw managed between licks, before going into a coughing fit.

Turtlemist rushed over and gave him some herbs to help settle it. "Nothing much. Snowbridge is almost ready to have her kits. They'll probably come within days of Fernstar's." He said as Rootclaw chewed them.

"I hope not," said Fernstar, "you and Bugpaw have enough on your plate, right now."

-

"You're alright, you've done this before. Just breath." Fernstar had went into labor over an hour ago. The kits had to be coming out soon.

Fernstar screamed before settling down again, and he heard Rootclaw groan from his place on the other side of the den. He had to go check on him, Rootclaw's greencough had been attacking him all day. He constantly went into coughing fits and had thrown up. When Fernstar's water broke he passed out, but now he may be rousing.

He rushed with a wet piece of moss to put on Rootclaw's neck, and he needed to mix more herbs for him too. I wish Bugpaw was here to help me now. But he's still tending to Snowbridge, and I can't risk him passing greencough to all the kits in the nursery.

He grabbed some herbs and stuck them in his mouth, chewing them into a wad as he made sure Fernstar was positioned right for her kits to come out.

He roused Rootclaw, spitting out the wad, "Chew these."

Rootclaw slowly picked up the wad in his mouth and started chewing.

Fernstar screamed again, "I think-I think the kits are coming!"

Turtlemist rushed back to her, "Push!"

She pushed.

"Push harder!" Turtlemist saw the kit begin to come out, "Almost there!"

Fernstar grunted as she pushed the little kit out into the world. Turtlemist licked the kit and made sure it was breathing.

After a few minutes, it was clear this kit was an only kit. Turtlemist was unsure if this was because of Fernstar's mild greencough infection.

Then he heard movement behind him, and turned to see Rootclaw stumbling over. Half-way to them, he threw up. There goes my herbs, that isn't good. He regardless, kept going, wanting to see his kit.

"Careful," Turtlemist said, "You don't want to give greencough to your kit. You can only see them a minute."

"Is it a she-kit or tom-kit?" asked Fernstar as her mate came over.

Turtlemist quickly checked and said, "She-kit."

"She's beautiful," purred Rootclaw, watching his daughter nurse.

"What should we name her?" Fernstar asked him.

1187134985_Rootclawskit.PNG.4fbbc3de2bd9077cbe4d267964c857b4.PNG

(Picture of the kit, name suggestions are appreciated!)

Meanwhile, in the new nursery, Snowbridge gives birth assisted by Bugpaw! The birth goes well, without any hiccups.

1573538002_Screenshot-10_19_20225_40_38PM.thumb.png.a31498b66dab88bf3aa560b4b65a07b6.png

(I finally got stinky-tailed kits! They're beautiful. Also strong, look at those claws! Probably the strongest cats in the clan.)

Name suggestions?

On 11/11/2021 at 8:27 AM, Very Scawy Avokiddo said:

Ferretkit

Bluekit (bc why not)

Sheepkit

Fallowkit

(I could use these names now, actually. I used Blazekit and Apticotkit on Shiningsun's kits. But the others suggested haven't been used yet. Definately gonna use Bluekit, got some kits with beautiful blue eyes. 

Also need some names that Rootclaw may suggest or are about him somehow for Fernstar's kit.)

The First Casualty of Greencough Moon 23:

Fernstar had moved back into her den to lessen the chance of young Ferretkit getting greencough. That's where Bugpaw knew he would find her. He moved quickly, trying to keep his mind off the crying and screaming he was hearing. It was only in his head, that's what Turtlemist always told him, though he figured at this point it was probably prophetic.

"Fernstar, come quickly!" he said as he burst into her den. 

"What's happened?" said Fernstar, he could tell she was trying to stay calm. A layer of dread deep within her green eyes.

"It's Rootclaw, he's gotten worse. Turtlemist told me to come get you," Bugpaw said, avoiding her eyes.

"How much worse is he?" a hard edge crept into Fernstar's words.

"Well nobody knows for sure-"

"Bugpaw, don't try and fool me. I know you're a talented medicine cat, and the last time I saw him his condition wasn't good. Is he dying?"

"If it wasn't serious, Turtlemist wouldn't have sent for you. You know he can't risk this thing spreading."

"Take Ferretkit to the nursery," said Fernstar, getting up with urgency, "have Snowpaw nurse her. Then get back to Turtlemist's den as quickly as possible."

"I will, Fernstar," said Bugpaw, grabbing the little bundle from her.

-

Fernstar had been whispering to her mate and grooming him for a little under ten minutes when he stopped breathing. 

"Turtlemist!" she called.

"I'm already on it," he came over to check, hoping perhaps he had mis-seen, but of course he hadn't. Rootclaw was no longer breathing. His heart sunk.

"I know he isn't breathing," she growled, "do something!"

"There isn't anything to do," he said sadly, "he's gone to StarClan."

"Don't you think I know that?" she hissed, "Maybe they'll listen to you!"

"I've done everything I can-"

"But we'll try anyway, won't we-" Bugpaw stopped himself short, mouth falling open, staring.

"What's going on?" asked Fernstar, noticing him standing there looking strange.

Bugpaw just stood there, in awe.

Turtlemist waved his tail in front of his apprentice, and Bugpaw pushed it aside.

"Interesting..." muttered Turtlemist.

"My mate's dying and you two are standing around like some useless rocks! What a couple medicine cats you are!" hissed Fernstar.

"He's having a vision," hissed Turtlemist, before checking his attitude. She had just lost her mate and would now have to raise a young kit alone. The clan had lost a valuable warrior, and the winter season of this cursed mountain was just beginning. "Maybe it has something to do with Rootclaw. I'll see if I can resuscitate him." He knew it would take a miracle to bring him back, but he figured he'd better try.

He went over to Rootclaw, but then heard Bugpaw, "I-I just saw something a living cat is never supposed to see."

"And what is that?" growled Fernstar.

"Uh, well," Bugpaw shook his head, "I'm sorry, Fernstar, it isn't good news."

Fernstar closed her eyes and took a step back, tears beginning to fall, "It's alright, tell me what you saw, Bugpaw."

"Lionstar escorted Rootclaw to StarClan," Bugpaw reported.

Fernstar didn't say anything else, only began to cry before walking out of the den.

262430108_Screenshot-10_19_20225_23_15PM.thumb.png.3599171bae7f9f1ab4a0ba89bc2f4f1b.png

Fernstar knew it was inappropriate to bring her kit to the vigil, but she had constantly cried when separated from her mother, and Fernstar felt about the same way when separated from her. Besides, Rootclaw's kit should be there to honor him, right?

She nestled into her mother's belly as Fernstar watched her mate's body. It was now covered in a thin layer of snow. Tears were slowly and silently coming down, now. She had wailed in her den before, and lashed out at Turtlemist before that, but hysteria wouldn't do around Ferretkit.

I'll never let anything happen to our kit. Never. She'll have my full attention and protection. I'll settle into the nursery until she's apprenticed, and then apprentice her myself. I can't trust anyone else with her. Certainly not StarClan, who took her father away from me. But what about the Clan? I can't leave them in StarClan's hands either. Nevermind, Redfish can act as leader in my place for now. I trust him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

(Also, if anyone's wondering, I skipped the day three times to have Snowbridge's kits be born at about the same time as Rootclaw's death (as was supposed to happen but I forgot). And then I subtracted 3 days from everyone's lifespan and set the kits' age to be all the same.)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chiyanna said:

(Also, if anyone's wondering, I skipped the day three times to have Snowpaw's kits be born at about the same time as Rootclaw's death (as was supposed to happen but I forgot). And then I subtracted 3 days from everyone's lifespan and set the kits' age to be all the same.)

Stop calling her Snowpaw!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Very Scawy Avokiddo said:

(Ugh that was an error, it was getting late when I wrote that sorry, I'll fix it!! I do like the changing of the names but it confuses me sometimes, I have caught myself calling Bugpaw Bugkit sometimes.)

5 hours ago, Very Scawy Avokiddo said:

(And why did you react laugh to Rootclaw's death? Was it not realistic/sad enough? Or is it because she really can't trust Redfish? I'm an idiot if that's it, that's literally what I thought while writing that but then I forgot lol)

4 hours ago, Chiyanna said:

(And why did you react laugh to Rootclaw's death? Was it not realistic/sad enough? Or is it because she really can't trust Redfish? I'm an idiot if that's it, that's literally what I thought while writing that but then I forgot lol)

I forgot why but i think it was because lmao dead guy 🤣🤣🤣

• Paw up 1

• 3 weeks later...

Bugflight's name Moon 23

Turtlemist found Bugpaw sorting herbs in the medicine den, working hard as usual, “How are the kits?” his apprentice asked.

“Fine,” purred Turtlemist, “Not a hint of greencough, and they are all healthy. My kits are growing well, as are the rest of them.” He smiled for a second before switching gears, “Bugpaw, there’s something important we need to discuss.”

“I’m listening,” he said, continuing to sort herbs.

Suppressing a sigh, Turtlemist continued, “It’s your naming ceremony. You’re ready, and it’s far overdue.”

“But I still have things to learn. StarClan will send a dream of the moonstone when I am ready.” He put a bundle of herbs in its place.

“They already have,” said Turtlemist.

“And I didn’t know about it?” asked Bugpaw skeptically.

“You won’t be named in a dream. StarClan has already shown me the moonstone of this island. It is our duty as medicine cats to find it, even if you don’t care about becoming a full-fledged medicine cat. We leave at dawn tomorrow.” He said with authority.

“But we can’t leave the clan without a single medicine cat! What if greencough strikes again, or the queens need assistance? Or somebody gets hurt on patrol?” Bugpaw protested.

“Nothing will happen, and if it does we will be back in time to deal with it. The only crisis the clan is facing is one of hunger, and we can’t do much about that as medicine cats. In fact, since we can’t eat on this journey we will be conserving precious prey. I’ll help you get some traveling herbs ready.”

-

Lightpaw had failed three hunts in a row, and didn’t even notice other prey. He had been doing about this well ever since Rootclaw died. Which worried Stonepaw, not just for his friend, but for the clan which was struggling to get enough prey to keep the queens and kits fed as it was.

“Do you need to talk?” he asked his friend.

“About what? I’m...fine.”

“I can tell you aren’t. Rootclaw meant a lot to you...he meant a lot to all of us.”

“I was excited…” said Lightpaw, a tear coming down, “I was actually excited to train under the deputy temporarily. What an honor. But I didn’t realize I would never train under Rootclaw again.”

“He was a good mentor and a talented warrior. He taught you everything he could in the time he had. His skills live on in you, it will make him proud when you become the skilled warrior I know you can be.”

“Thanks, Stonepaw, but it’s no use. First my father before I even met him, now my mentor, sickness has taken them both from me. I thought that was the point of leaving the last island, to leave all the cursed bugs behind.”

“I know how you feel. I never knew my father either. Nobody’s even told me who he was. Maybe you should talk to Bugflight-”

“Don’t you dare bring him up. He had the skills and knowledge necessary to save Rootclaw, but didn’t even try. Turtlemist failed, but at least tried. Bugpaw doesn’t deserve his full name. I wish he would fly away and never come back.”

“He is your half-brother,” said Stonepaw, alarmed, “and just like us he didn’t know his father growing up. He did know your father as a kit. Maybe you could ask about him sometime, that’s all I was going to suggest.”

“Maybe…” said Lightpaw, “let’s get back to work.”

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The Fox-cat? Moon 24

Redfish was on border patrol. He hated this duty, because it took time away from all his other, more important responsibilities. Such as training his apprentices, spending time with his mate and kits (a luxury he couldn’t afford most the time) and the all important hunting to feed a growing clan. Because of the clan’s desperate food situation, they could only spare one cat to patrol. All others had to be focused on hunting and taking care of kits. Being the only warrior and not wanting to put either of the apprentices in danger, Redfish assigned himself. His apprentices, meanwhile, had to continue hunting any time they could. They were thankfully proficient enough, but Redfish still worried about leaving them alone.

He was patrolling along the northern edge when he spotted something moving behind a rock.

2128117254_Screenshot-10_21_20229_10_48PM.thumb.png.892e78873ce6d6816aeec7b651a56058.png

He crept up on the rock, trying not to spook whatever it was. As he smelled cat but also..fox? Could there be a fox attacking a cat behind that rock? But why was it so quiet?

When he got close enough he jumped over the rock, claws out to tackle whatever threat to the clan was beyond it. And he did, pinning the creature easily. That’s when he realized that it was no threat to the clan. He had tackled a single, trembling, scrawny, apprentice-aged cat. I probably terrified the poor thing!

“Sorry about this,” he said, relaxing his grip, “but you were trespassing on clan territory.”

The cat squirmed and squeaked, but didn’t say anything legible. It then made some rather strange noises he had never heard coming from a cat before.

“O-k…” muttered Redfish. Maybe I should just let them go. They’ll probably just go back to wherever they came from and never trespass again. But they don’t look in that great shape. Maybe they need a clan.

1039448361_Screenshot-10_21_20229_11_46PM.thumb.png.1a1783d4987ac04e264ecfd8cf7f25f1.png

Suddenly, the cat stopped squirming underneath him, and a voice spoke behind him, “Remember me?”

“Unfortunately, yes,” growled Redfish, looking down at the cat that was now frozen in place. Even the snow had stopped falling. “What did you just do?”

“I paused time, momentarily. Don’t be so unhappy to hear from me, I did set you and Snowbridge up pretty nicely, right? Three healthy kits, that’s more than Fernstar got.” He said this was a bit of a smirk, “I upheld my end of the bargain, now it’s time for you to uphold yours.”

“Breaking the warrior code?” asked Redfish, remembering back.

“At a time of my choosing,” said the cat, “I choose now.”

“But what do you want me to do at this moment?”

“Kill an innocent cat, in violation of the rule not to kill in order to win battles, and violation of Fernstar’s commands.”

“This cat?” asked Redfish, confused and outraged.

“Correct,” said the cat, “You wouldn’t go back on your word, would you?”
“You didn’t tell me you expected me to kill someone,” hissed Redfish, whirling around to face the cat.

The cat looked annoyed, but nothing more, “You didn’t ask. You can’t back out of a deal you’ve already benefited from.”

“Watch me,” growled Redfish, “I’m letting this cat go right now.” He stepped away from the frozen cat.

“I thought you were a cat of honor,” scoffed the cat.

“That’s exactly why I’m not doing this.”

“Fool!” he hissed, “Do you think my power over your kits ended with their birth?”

“Don’t you dare threaten my kits!” he said, fur bristling. 

“Oh, I do dare. The question is, do you dare flaunt me?”

“You’re lying, no...nobody can do something like that!”

“I’m not just anybody,” hissed the cat, “you’ve only seen some of what I’m capable of. If you don’t kill that cat right now, you’re responsible for what happens next.”

He glanced back at the cat, it was not much more than a kit. Why would anyone go through such lengths to have them killed? “If I kill one kit to save one of my own, I’m no better than a rogue,” he murmured. 

“It’s not just any kit you’d be saving. Think of how their death would effect Snowbridge. Maybe the greencough would even spread to her.”

“How dare you bring her up,” he snarled, “you think I’d fall for that again?”

“Maybe you need to be reminded where you would be without me,” hissed the tom. Slowly Redfish grew weaker, the able strength of his youth draining from him.

“It’s not going to work,” he growled through clenched teeth, “I will never do this thing for you.”

“Fine,” snarled the tom, “have it your way!” 

He charged toward Redfish, and Redfish heard a squeak and snarl behind him. Time is unpaused! And he’s headed right toward the rogue cat!

Sapped of his strength, Redfish did the only thing he could do. He threw himself ontop of the young cat, barely getting there in time. The cat was now staring past Redfish, at the new attacker.

Redfish heard the tom yowling as he charged, and felt his breath on his neck. The tom bared down on him for a second, hissing in his ear, “Run while you can.”

Redfish stayed where he was, preventing him from getting at the cat beneath. He felt a small pain in his  neck, and then the tom bit down. Redfish couldn’t breath, blood filled his mouth. He sputtered and gasped for breath, but still didn’t move. The cat he was trying to save struggled violently beneath him, scratching at Redfish’s exposed belly.

Suddenly the pain lifted from his neck. The deputy opened his eyes, am I dead? The snow was still falling, he still saw the rock over to his right, and a young pinkish-grey cat was shaking in fear beneath him. His neck no longer hurt at all, not a trace of blood was in the snow around him. But that can’t be...the tom attacked me! I saw it, I felt it. “You have no idea what I’m capable of” the tom’s words came back to him. Had he somehow created an illusion that Redfish was being attacked?

Redfish heard a squeak, bringing him back to the situation at hand. The poor cat was wriggling his way out from underneath Redfish, and Redfish now unpinned them.

“He’s gone now,” said Redfish reassuringly to the cat, taking a few steps back to give them space.

Slowly, the cat looked around before shakily getting to their feet. They looked rather confused.

“It’s alright, I’m confused too.”

The cat made another series of odd noises.

Should I just leave them here? No, they must be important if the tom wanted them dead. I must bring them to Fernstar.

“Redfish?  What’s going on, I heard quite the commotion!” the voice belonged to Stonepaw.

The rogue cat tensed up again at this arrival, and made a yelp.

“No time,” said Redfish, “is that prey I smell? Give some of it to that cat over there.” 

“But aren’t we-”

“I know, but there isn’t time. I’ll explain myself to Fernstar later.” I just hope she’s in a good mood today. It’s ironic, I suppose, that I end up violating the warrior code anyway. But this cat must be important...nobody would go through such trouble to kill them if they weren’t.
710950266_Screenshot-10_21_202210_18_34PM.thumb.png.eba268f7438760d10a1dc148c4b9c363.png
“You did what?” Fernstar couldn’t believe her deputy had given precious prey to a rogue when there wasn’t even enough for the clan.

“I know we’re struggling right now. But the cat doesn’t seem to understand words. The only way to get them to follow me back to camp-”

“And why would you want them to?” Fernstar’s voice fluctuated with every sylable.

“So you could-” Redfish oddly paused, not finishing his sentence. Freezing like a mouse that had just seen a cat stalking it.

“So I could what?” said Fernstar coldly, “Invite them into the clan?”

“That’s what I was thinking, yes. You’ve always given rogues a chance to join RemnantClan.”
“But this isn’t just ‘always’. Our clan is in a crisis right now! Us queens barely have enough milk to feed our own kits, the apprentices eat maybe once a week, and yet you give away food to a rogue? And have the audacity to think I would welcome another mouth to feed in a time like this? My priority is the cats we already have, most of all these kits in this nursery behind me! The future of our clan! If they die not only will the legacy of the five clans be lost forever but…” Memories of the horrible dreams she had had moons ago of the wrath of StarClan flashed through her head. She couldn’t believe she had nearly blurted to Redfish this prophecy she had kept from the clan for so long. Why shouldn’t he know, that StarClan put demands upon us...that they would otherwise destroy us or let us happen? If it caused panic in the clan then sobeit. If it caused them no longer to follow me why should I care? I’d still have Ferretkit...though what future would she have out in this cold wasteland without a clan to protect her? This place is so cruel, why did we come here?

Redfish himself looked distant as he began trying to convince her again, “Yes, I know what’s at stake. I know the heritage and legacy of all our former clans is riding on us. But I just feel this rogue is connected to our future somehow. They must be important. And besides, they’ll be another hunter, another warrior to defend this clan. Once they are trained-”

“No cat is specially connected to our clan that’s not already in it,” Fernstar growled, trying to keep her voice at a low volume despite increasing frustration at Redfish, “I no longer believe StarClan puts cats in our path for a reason. They’re just a simple rogue, and you should’ve chased them off. Chase all rogues off from now on. Unless they have something that proves they’ll be more of a help than a burden. Go fix your mistake and chase this hapless rogue off our territory.”

“But they’re little more than a kit. They’ll die out there on their own!” Redfish pleaded.

“Don’t you think I know that? I have a kit of my own to worry about. And eight others besides! I can’t be taking in every cat under 10 moons that wanders across our land.”

“You’re heartless,” Redfish said, more in disbelief than anything else, “This isn’t like kind yet clever cat from GreenClan I’ve supported all these moons. How did you change so much is so little time?”

“Have you been under a rock somewhere?” she hissed. “Have you not noticed all the clan and I have been through these past moons?”

“Shiningsun lost her mate too, that didn’t change who she was. I know the old Fernstar is in there somewhere, the one who had faith in StarClan and her clan. The one who cared about the suffering of other cats. Just give this kit a mentor, give them a little time, and if they don’t develop  their hunting and fighting skills in a few moons, then cast them out. All I’m asking is you give them a chance!”

Fernstar didn’t speak for a minute, sitting there, processing, is Redfish right? Am I truly heartless, or just doing what’s best for the clan? Or is it something else...am I just doing what’s best for my own kit? That surely can’t be heartless. I’m just trying to make sure she’s provided for. “You’re right. Before I might’ve considered this. But I’m not the same cat I was before. I have another kit to raise all on my own…and I never really payed enough attention to Stonepaw. Before was my fault, but this time I did everything right. And StarClan still cruelly took the one I loved. All I have left to believe in is my kit, the last bit of Rootclaw I have left. Besides, who will train them? You already have two apprentices, and the rest of the clan is queens.”

“Excuse me for butting in, Fernstar,” said a voice behind her.

“What is it Snowbridge?” Fernstar asked the queen, “Is Ferretkit alright? Our your kits alright? Should I call for Bugflight?”

“No, the kits are fine. I just woke up from a nap and heard a bit of the conversation. My kits are a moon old now and may be able to be watched by another queen most the time. I was thinking of resuming my warrior duties since we are in great need of hunters right now.”

“Are you sure? Most queens prefer to be with their kits for a few moons.”

“I do love them, and want to spend time with them. But given the current circumstance I think they would be better served with me hunting and patrolling to keep them safe and fed.”

“Very well, but what does this have to do with-” Fernstar stopped mid-sentence as she saw a small figure creep into the nursery entrance. The way it held itself and was stalking, she nearly cried ‘fox’ before realizing by it’s scent and look that it was indeed a...cat? “You!” she said sharply.

The cat scurried behind Redfish and hid there...or at least tried to. It’s tail could still be seen.

“It’s OK, we’re not going to hurt you,” said Redfish to the cat in a soothing voice, “right?” he said, glaring at Fernstar.

“Is that the rogue?” Fernstar said with a hint of sarcasm. Something seemed familiar about that face..but she couldn’t quite place it.

“Yes, don’t you feel a little bad for the poor thing?” Redfish asked as the rogue started making all sorts of odd fox-like noises.

How is anyone to train them though? Even if I did think it was a good idea to take them in, which I don’t. “It hasn’t said a single word you understand?”

“Not one,” Redfish said, scooting to the side so Fernstar could again see the rogue.

As if on cue, the rogue made a couple odd noises before sputtering out, “Da-dan-dangre!”

The mewl brought Fernstar back to a day moons ago when a hawk had circled the crisp blue sky. It’s that kit I saved from a hawk, so long ago! It really hadn’t been that long, but it felt like a lifetime. Back then she had been cautious, but optimistic about her clan’s new start on this frozen island. Does it mean nothing that they are back here now? After all this time? 

“Well there you go, apparently it can say...something.” Redfish said, a bit unsure.

Fernstar was still lost in her own thoughts when Snowbridge stepped forward and said, “Fernstar, I respectfully offer to be this cat’s mentor. I always wanted the experience and-”

2016745266_Screenshot-10_21_202210_24_20PM.thumb.png.f8a7148a2c41e2331e6e16425d00cbbb.png

“Momma?” said the rogue, suddenly creeping out from where it had withdrawn again.

Fernstar looked at the rogue in confusion as it slowly walked over to Snowbridge.

“Do you know this cat?” said Fernstar, a suspicion creeping into her mind.
“No, but they seem to think they know me,” said Snowbridge, looking equally confused as the cat came over and sniffed her.

The cat wrinkled it’s nose and looked up at Snowbridge, at her face, before backing up.

“It’s alright, Snowbridge is friendly. You have nothing to fear from her,” Redfish told the cat, butit still kept backing away before turning and rushing out of the nursery entrance.

Well you can’t keep a cat who in a clan who doesn’t understand a word you’re saying...maybe this is for the best. But Fernstar couldn’t keep herself from rushing after Redfish as he followed the pinkish rogue.

“Wait! Who are you, and where are you going?” said an unexpected addition to the cats watching this commotion play out.

622211426_Screenshot-10_21_202210_26_25PM.thumb.png.76715eef46f1e3cfbb72e241a8e7d1a1.png

The rogue paused in the middle of camp, and turned to see Bugflight. Then it made noises, Fernstar could only tell that they were agitated, but Bugflight seemed to understand.

And Bugflight said, “We’re a clan. A group of cats that come together to protect and provide for eachother. But not just any group of cats. We have a history stretching back for moons, and a special set of rules called a code. Our leader Fernstar was not trying to hurt you all those moons ago, she saved you from being eaten by a hawk. And that queen you saw in the nursery isn’t your mom, but that doesn’t mean she wants to hurt you either.”

“You understand what they’re saying?” asked Redfish in confusion.

“Yes, you don’t?”

“None of us do,” said Snowbridge.

The cat continued making odd noises.

“What’s your name?” tried Fernstar, thinking that Bugflight couldn’t possibly be the only one who can understand them. That’s just impossible.

“Lonelykit,” squeaked out the cat, after a minute of thought, and then they made more weird noises.

“That’s a clan name!” exclaimed Snowbridge.

“Your momma, what do you remember about her?”

After a minute of listening to the cat’s noises, Bugflight told the cat to wait in his den. Suprisingly, the cat did so. He then turned to his clan-mates, “This cat’s mother called them Lonelykit and used to tell them stories that they can barely remember. Then one day she went missing. The poor kit ventured out looking for her, which is when you found them and saved them from the hawk, Fernstar. After that the kit was adopted by a fox who raised them until their fox mother was killed by other foxes. Upon discovering the body they followed the foxes’ scent trail and found them attacking our camp. After watching us kill them the cat wandered alone for moons, surviving mainly from scavenging and the limited hunting skill it learned from it’s fox mother. A remarkable story.”

“And how come you were able to hear it?” asked Fernstar skeptically.

“I had a vision just before telling me to seek out the rogue in camp. So I did. And now I understand what they say, and they understand what I say. It’s hard to believe myself. Someone assure me this isn’t some enhanced hallucination.”

“I for one, cannot,” said Fernstar with a sigh.

“Surely this is a sign, is it not, Bugflight?” Redfish pushed.

“I guess StarClan must’ve wanted us to communicate with this cat. Why, I can’t say. Would you like me to ask them more questions? See if they know anything important to the safety of the clan? I’ll give them a good check-over for health while I’m at it.”

“You do that,” interrupted Fernstar, “and report your findings directly back to me. No one else, and that’s an order.” She glanced at Redfish, “then, and only then, will I make a decision. Nobody else bug me until then. I need some time to think.” She turned and walked back toward the nursery, but then stopped as she passed Snowbridge, “If you’re returning to your warrior duties, you better go do a hunt to sharpen your skills. I’ll watch your kits while you’re gone, as you have watched Ferretkit when I am infrequently away. But don’t take too long. Having someone to guard the nursery is important.”

“Agreed. I’ll do a quick hunt and be back to help guard the kits in an hour or two. I don’t want to over-do it, either. But I’m sure you’ll do just fine while I’m gone. You and Shiningsun are great queens.”

“Thanks, Snowbridge,” Fernstar said before disappearing into the nursery. A part of her was sad and nervous to not have the queen there with her, but then again, Snowbridge was right. Hunters and fighters were desperately needed right now. And it wasn’t a sacrifice Fernstar herself was prepared to make.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Modiano Ourania said:

I had forgotten Redfish needed the help of a dead guy to date the girl he liked. Anyway *shoves Redfish out of the way* Friendship ended with RemnantClan child raised by foxes is my new best friend 

Child raised by foxes is great character. So innocent and also trauma child...with both his mothers being killed. Also more back-story/connection to clan to come! And I have some story elements already planned for them which should be interesting