Stray Fawn Community

Niche's Future

Philo

Dear pack

This is Philomena, the original designer of Niche.

As you might remember I promised to talk about the future of Niche once our team is done launching the various console ports. That day has now come. Niche has been released on Switch, Xbox, PS4 and also made its way to the Epic Game Store. And, we even released our first mobile game ‘Niche - Breed and Evolve’, a new game in the Niche universe that focuses more on relaxed breeding.

Making this game has been quite the ride. The first prototype was made back in 2013. We ran a Kickstarter with many stretch goals, launched the game on Steam Early Access, released free updates featuring various community requests after the 1.0 release and ported the game to all major consoles.

Our team has now sat down to discuss the future of Niche.
We have come to the decision that for us, the game is now officially finished. There will be no more content-updates and most likely no additional ports to other platforms.
Niche was our first successful game and allowed us to become a game studio, but this also means we need to release new games at a steady pace in order to keep the studio alive.

However, the decision to no longer develop free updates for Niche does not mean the end of the Niche universe! We have started working on new prototypes for a Niche successor and also have multiple side projects going on, such as the upcoming Adam plushie Kickstarter, a potential board game and a draft for a Niche novel. Please note that all these projects are very early and we have no idea yet whether they will really be made in the end. But rest assured that Niche is very dear to our studio and we love it just as much as you do!
Please keep sending us all your cool ideas for future features, as they inspire us a lot for future projects. Some of the suggestions made it into ‘Niche - Breed and Evolve’ already.

What are we working on now?
Currently, we’re knee-deep in work on our next upcoming game The Wandering Village. We hope to release the Early Access version in Spring/Summer 2022. I am the project lead of this game (as it was with Niche) and since I love biology so much, the new game focuses on the topic of symbiosis. In the game, you build a village on the back of a giant creature that wanders around and form a relationship with it. I think you guys will enjoy it and we would greatly appreciate your support once again :) 

Honestly, it was hard for me to write this update. Niche has been so close to my heart all these years and it’s hard for me to let go and move on. But I think there are many exciting things ahead of us! Many many thanks again to everybody who enjoys Niche. It means the world to me.

- Philomena & The Stray Fawn Team

• Like 10
  • Sad 5
  • Love 2

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened. And hey, it's not even over! Sure, there won't be any more updates, but with the sandbox settings the game already has tons of replay value! The community has provided tons of challenges, roleplays and stories. Sure, it was exciting when stuff like new biomes, genes and animals were coming out, but at it's current state the game doesn't really lack anything.

Thank you, Stray Fawn, for the countless hours of fun and teaching us about genetics. (Seriously, it was a huge help in school!) The community that's been built around the game is amazing as well. So many cool people who I'd have never met if it wasn't for Niche! I look forward to Wandering Village and whatever else the future has to offer (as well as what might come of that little prototype thingy)

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I want to thank you Stray Fawn Studio (SFS) for Niche, even if its over, it has a special place in my heart. Niche and its community were and still are a huge aspect of my life and have been a part of my life from when I was a kid to almost an adult now. It has marked my life in such a way that no other game has. Thanks to Niche and its community I have learned and grown up as a person. For me Niche was more than just a game, it was part of my life.

I still remember how I found Niche as a YT video back in early 2018, probably during the time the current game texture was added. I was very interested and got the game some weeks after, I don't remember how I joined the forums but it was around May. The Niche forums and website since then became an important part of my life. With the Niche forums I managed to surpass my shyness, in school I was too shy to make friends and talk. But here I felt better and learned by trial and error how to be more sociable, thanks to all the friendly and welcoming people who made contests and roleplays about Niche. The Niche country wars was probably a turning point for me, I stopped being such a shy person and it is still one of my favorite late childhood memories. During my last day of high school I walked around the area that used to be my classroom at the time and the memories of the niche wars came to my mind at that instant. With Niche I learned more than just genetics, I learned to make friends and be part of a community. Even if there were some dark times and mistakes; they have thought me valuable life lessons that I hope have made me a better person.

On Niche I have met friends that are currently my best friends in life, that is something I want to thanks you SFS. Aside from the great people that made and played the game, Niche itself has been awesome. I remember the funny moments with the glitches and the bears when the last update was being made. The game has served as an inspiration for many of my most important works, like a novel I plan to publish next year and some of my college application work. 

I am very thankful about this great game, it has changed my life so much and I really want to thank you Philo and the rest of the SFS team for the chance we had to see your creation take shape and grow over the years at the same time I grew as a person. Niche will always have a special place in my heart.

• Love 4

9 minutes ago, A Nicheling said:

Even if there were some dark times and mistakes; they have thought me valuable life lessons that I hope have made me a better person.

This!

Even if we sometimes fought a little, well... maybe a lot, those fights and the people here have helped me grow as a person. I wouldn't have anywhere near the level of self awareness I do now if it wasn't for these forums. The people here mean so much to me, even the ones I never got along with

• Like 1
  • Paw up 1
  • Love 1

niche means so much to me, and im happy that its at a point that people are happy with it! it is a little sad that there will be no more updates, but it does seem pretty complete.

if it werent for this game i would have never joined the forums and never have made all the amazing friends i have now. niche is so much more than just a game and i really do thank everyone who worked on it because i have so many great memories from it

thank you stray fawn!! cant wait to see all the other games to come in the future<33

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I'm really gonna miss the updates, but I'm happy to know it's not completely over at least! Niche has such a special place in my heart and probably always will, even if I stop playing it one day. I'm just ecstatic it happened at all, and that we got all that's in the game right now

waiting to see what comes next 👀

• Like 2
  • Love 1

There's not much I can say that hasn't already been said . . .

As much as I would love to see new genes, predators, and biomes for Niche, the game is honestly perfectly fine as it is now ^^

I'm looking forward for when Wandering Village comes out ^^

• Like 1
  • Love 2

14 hours ago, Philo said:

Honestly, it was hard for me to write this update. Niche has been so close to my heart all these years and it’s hard for me to let go and move on.

I feel you.

Also I have a question: DOES NO MORE UPDATES MEAN NO BUG FIXING?!

Omg I want to cry rn

Philo thank u so much for creating niche I probably wouldn't even be on Internet or have the friends I have now if I never played it. 

I can't wait to see the future of niche and the wandering village. I'll  definitely be getting that Adam plushies when it comes out!! 

(does this mean no defender bear..?!) 

• 1 year later...

Niche was a massive role in why I want to explore a career in Zoology - and it's a pleasant surprise to see that its legacy may continue on through successors, like the mentioned sequel and novel. It has had a massive impact on my passions, so I'd be very willing to throw money to fund a new Niche game.

Stray Fawn has done a lot for Niche, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were to hang the coat for Niche - but the fact that there's even some consideration for new content in a new form is exciting!! Take care of yourselves, and be kind to yourselves as well! Thank you for entertaining and teaching us!

• Like 2
  • Love 1