Stray Fawn Community

Black Screen When Recording New Game With Flashback Screen Recorder

Chiyanna

I don't really know if this belongs on these forums, but this is the only forums of games I am apart of. Plus I have posted some of my youtube videos on here (and I know some of you watch them, though I'm unsure how many of my views are derived from here!). 

So I was recorded an episode of a new game (To the Rescue) for my youtube channel using my normal screen recorder, Flashback screen recorder. Everything seemed to go fine but I hadn't run a test recording before starting the video (a big rookie mistake I know). And when I went to export the game to a format I can use to upload it to youtube, I noticed that the video was a black screen.

The audio was fine, just the visuals were not there. A black screen was in their place. Now that is a big problem since this is a video, not a podcast. I didn't even know this could happen since I had only ever had problems with audio. I hadn't changed any graphics settings, and I had recorded Shelter 3, (another game I had just started playing recently), Niche, and Minecraft without any visual difficulties. (Though I had only ever recorded Minecraft on my laptop, not my desktop). 

After doing some research, I found it is most likely an issue with the GPU the sxcreen recorder is recording on (I should be able to change either the one the game is running on or the one the recorder is recording on). Hardware Acceleration, (where the main CPU that usually processes everything kicks out part of the load to the GPU), which my current screen recording (and maybe no screen recorder?) doesn't support. Or recording settings that were set wrong for the game.

To fix this in the future I'm going to try a few things: recording in windowed or another screen mode besides full screen, turning off hardware acceleration, messing around in recorder and/or computer settings... It would help if you have any tips or ways to narrow down the list of things it might be.

I may also get another screen recorder. I have been generally happy with Flashback, but if this problem can be more easily alleviated by changing to a better screen recorder then I'm willing to make the switch. One of the ones on my list is OBS Studio. Does anyone have any experience with that screen recorder or know any other preferably free options that support Hardware Acceleration?

And I would prefer to be able to somehow recover the visuals from this recording, but I have already tried recovering it as if it was a corrupted file using FBRChecker. And exporting it to see if the problem was with the player. None of these worked. Does anyone know how to recover a black screen video where the audio was fine?

Last but not least, if I cannot manage to recover this, should I just start the series over, assuming I can get my screen recorder to record the game properly somehow? Or should I continue my current savefile? Since this video was my true first reactions to the game, should I upload just the audio, since I can't really re-record it like this never happened?

Any help, answers, or encouragement would be appreciated. Thanks.

3 hours ago, ralsei deltarune said:

I use obs, if it has a black screen it mostly likely didn't record anything 

can obs record games that use hardware acceleration? Do you record in full screen or windowed?

And how easy is OBS to use? Anything I should know about it?

33 minutes ago, Chiyanna said:

can obs record games that use hardware acceleration? Do you record in full screen or windowed?

And how easy is OBS to use? Anything I should know about it?

you can,, look it up,, im not a genius or anything at this

• Paw up 1

• 3 months later...