Stray Fawn Community

Hello 2 minutes ago person!

lizardcake

On 9/28/2022 at 7:31 PM, Berney said:

for me its the pterodactyl, 36 minutes ago alex

827425048_Skrmbillede2022-09-29202524.png.1a33613c2755514d35d8f91244e49ba4.png(Sorry, it just bugged me a little)

Yes, it is a very cool extinct reptile, yesterday Berney! Did you know that, as opposed to birds, pterosaurs (including pterodactylus itself) used mostly their wings rather than their legs to launch into flight? This is one of the things that enabled them to retain their flight ability, while they grew to extraordinary sizes. As birds use their legs for launch, and use their wings for flight, that means that the two must stay in relative equilibrium so as to both be able to launch into the air and fly. But at some point, this feedback loop of bigger wings = bigger legs ends up costing way too much energy for the bird to keep up. But this isn't a restraint for pterosaurs, as they can just use most of their energy to maintain their wings!

Pterosaur quad-launching by GaffaMondo on DeviantArt

(This isn't an image of pterodactylus itself, sadly)

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 9/29/2022 at 8:41 PM, Alex the Spooky Lizard said:

827425048_Skrmbillede2022-09-29202524.png.1a33613c2755514d35d8f91244e49ba4.png(Sorry, it just bugged me a little)

Yes, it is a very cool extinct reptile, yesterday Berney! Did you know that, as opposed to birds, pterosaurs (including pterodactylus itself) used mostly their wings rather than their legs to launch into flight? This is one of the things that enabled them to retain their flight ability, while they grew to extraordinary sizes. As birds use their legs for launch, and use their wings for flight, that means that the two must stay in relative equilibrium so as to both be able to launch into the air and fly. But at some point, this feedback loop of bigger wings = bigger legs ends up costing way too much energy for the bird to keep up. But this isn't a restraint for pterosaurs, as they can just use most of their energy to maintain their wings!

Pterosaur quad-launching by GaffaMondo on DeviantArt

(This isn't an image of pterodactylus itself, sadly)

thats pretty cool, thursday 8.41 pm alex!

2 minutes ago, ItzFadeDaSpooky said:

IUHWFEJKWEFDUWEIUFKWEFKJ JUST NOW AGO SPOOKYSNWORTSTORM

IOKXODPKSIJXIONUCNUJCNCMJNXJMKJUHYCDESUXINCHBYUGFVRDEHNCBGV 2 MINUTES AGO ITZFADEDASPOOKY

1 minute ago, SPOOKYSNOWSTORM said:

IOKXODPKSIJXIONUCNUJCNCMJNXJMKJUHYCDESUXINCHBYUGFVRDEHNCBGV 2 MINUTES AGO ITZFADEDASPOOKY

Hello Just Now Spooky Snow Storm

Do YOU have a favourite dinosaur? (don't worry I won't clog up this thread with facts about it, that's gonna be on my dino facts thread)Ā 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...