Stray Fawn Community

The Deer of OakCreek Herd (Deer Challenge)

Allso

As the words 'Murderer' processed in Rannoch's dazed mind, Thistle flinched as if Hawthorne had stabbed him with his antlers. "M- murderer!? YOU THINK I KILLED HIM?" Thistle bellowed, pain edging his voice. Rannoch looked at Thistle's bloodstained coat with unease and turned to Hawthorne. "You heartless MONSTER! YOU KILLED OUR FATHER! Look at his coat, It's filled with horn wounds!" Hawthorne cried out, Rannoch's gaze shifting to Brechin's torn body. Thistle's tear creased eyes fell on his father, hooves trembling. "I- I- would never-" Thistle sputtered, Hawthorne's eye shifting angrily to him. "Don't say ANOTHER WORD. I never want to see you again. NEVER" Hawthorne spat and lowered his antlers. He stamped a hoof and without another warning he charged the unmoving Thistle. Thistle, stricken with grief tumbled over with a bleat of pain. "s- stoP!-" He choked out as Hawthorne rammed him again. 

"Hawthorne- HAWTHORNE STOP... we should go" Rannoch finally found his voice. Hawthorne's head nodding as his eyes met his brother, Thistle. "Never come back. DO YOU HEAR ME?!" He roared, lowering his horns again. Thistle just let out a whimper, stumbling to his hooves and lurching away into a run. His disappeared into the tall grass, leaving Hawthorne and Rannoch alone. "I- I'm so sorry Hawthorne." Rannoch gave him a pained look. Hawthorne just shook his head slowly "It should have never been like this- my own brother-" Hawthorne began to tear up again. "We need to get back to the does and warn them- Thistle is dangerous." Rannoch cautioned. The two quickly began to race back to the does, urgency in their step.

As the two bucks reached the clearing, the does and fawns all turned to them with wide eyes. Willow was the first to wail, the sight of the two males alone could only mean one thing..."NO- NO- NO!" She started, falling to the ground as her knees weakened. Hawthorne slowly walked to her, head low and heartbroken. "I'm sorry mom- Brechin he- he was killed" Hawthorne stammered, Willow sobbing uncontrollably. Cypress looked frozen in shock, before he curled her neck around her two small fawns, eyes teary. Rannoch's sad gaze stayed locked on his hooves, unable to look at any of the mournful does.

"I'm sorry Rannoch, there was nothing you could have done..." A voice comforted. Rannoch looked up to see Sequoia who reached her head down to lick at his head and ears, the way a mother doe would do to her calf. Rannoch nodded slowly before Sequoia continued "I know Brechin would have fought any battle to keep you safe, even if it meant facing a Bearyena... and poor Thistle wouldn't have left his father's side-" she went on when Rannoch flinched. "B-Brechin-... he wasn't killed by a Bearyena. T-Thistle he- he killed him." Rannoch sputtered out with a sob and Sequoia froze up. "N- no. Thistle- he couldn't have-" She stammered but was silenced by Rannoch's pained eyes. "Oh- my stars... Thistle killed Brechin" she finally concluded. 

Much of the day was spent comforting to older does and the traumatized bucks, Sequoia bringing grass and berries to Rannoch and Juniper consoling Hawthorne. The fawns were confused and scared but stayed by their mother's sides. Rannoch wasn't sure when he fell asleep but when he awoke, Sequoia's comforting warmth was curled around his flank. 

20220123153214_1.thumb.jpg.9b288d4d4d0f1535cba3de111e31ac19.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Eek! 1

The first drops of the wet season drew heavy grey clouds across the darkened sky, it seeming even the sky wept for Brechin. Rannoch and Sequoia spent much of the afternoon grazing with one another and discussing the confusing situation of Brechin's murder. "Rannoch... I just don't think he would have had it in him." Sequoia went on and Rannoch gave her a somber but conflicted look "I saw his bloodied pelt with my own eyes and Hawthorne... he was so distraught..." Rannoch mumbled. 

The sorrow-filled herd was experiencing a mutual understanding... does and bucks alike all sharing the same feelings of mourning but reassurance from one another. However, these feelings of peace were soon broken by a single bugle of a buck... It was Hawthorne with his head and neck stretched out and voice carrying out across the island. The clearing was instantly filled with chatter "Hawthorne- this is much too soon for a Call to  Challenge-" Cypress gasped with wide eyes. "A challenge?!" Juniper exclaimed with an edge of excitement. Sequoia quickly turned to see Rannoch expression... which was stern and almost annoyed. Hawthorne had announced a Call to Challenge which challenged all bucks to fight for dominance over the does. Hawthorne slowly turned to Rannoch eyes narrowed into fierce slits. Sequoia let out a small gasp as she watched Rannoch stamp a single hoof and raise his small rack of antlers. Rannoch neither accepted nor denied the challenge which seemed to enrage Hawthorne who let out a fuming snort and stormed away to the other edge of the clearing to graze.

"Are you insane Rannoch?" Sequoia quickly scolded "No, in fact I may be the only sane one here." Rannoch quickly retorted and Sequoia pinned her ears and walked away to join the other does. Rannoch winced, not meaning to hurt her feelings...

20220126231644_1.thumb.jpg.ef1e03487b67f66d81e42510325c82a0.jpg

• Like 2

On 1/27/2022 at 5:17 AM, Allso said:

The first drops of the wet season drew heavy grey clouds across the darkened sky, it seeming even the sky wept for Brechin. Rannoch and Sequoia spent much of the afternoon grazing with one another and discussing the confusing situation of Brechin's murder. "Rannoch... I just don't think he would have had it in him." Sequoia went on and Rannoch gave her a somber but conflicted look "I saw his bloodied pelt with my own eyes and Hawthorne... it was so distraught..." Rannoch mumbled. 

The sorrow-filled herd was experiencing a mutual understanding... does and bucks alike all sharing the same feelings of mourning but reassurance from one another. However, these feelings of peace were soon broken by a single bugle of a buck... It was Hawthorne with his head and neck stretched out and voice carrying out across the island. The clearing was instantly filled with chatter "Hawthorne- this is much too soon for a Call to  Challenge-" Cypress gasped with wide eyes. "A challenge?!" Juniper exclaimed with an edge of excitement. Sequoia quickly turned to see Rannoch expression... which was stern and almost annoyed. Hawthorne had announced a Call to Challenge which challenged all bucks to fight for dominance over the does. Hawthorne slowly turned to Rannoch eyes narrowed into fierce slits. Sequoia let out a small gasp as she watched Rannoch stamp a single hoof and raise his small rack of antlers. Rannoch neither accepted nor denied the challenge which seemed to enrage Hawthorne who let out a fuming snort and stormed away to the other edge of the clearing to graze.

"Are you insane Rannoch?" Sequoia quickly scolded "No, in fact I may be the only sane one here." Rannoch quickly retorted and Sequoia pinned her ears and walked away to join the other does. Rannoch winced, not meaning to hurt her feelings...

20220126231644_1.thumb.jpg.ef1e03487b67f66d81e42510325c82a0.jpg

Hawthorne killed Brechin

• Paw up 1

Rannoch and Hawthorne had been distancing themselves for most of the day, only breaking this odd period of ignoring the looming challenge with stern glares and snorts if they happened to lock eyes. Rannoch was distanced from the does, Hawthorne having cemented his place among his family and non-family like a tick on fur. Rannoch couldn't help but grow annoyed and march away into the tall grass with a small stamp of his hoof. It was petty, but Rannoch's temper had burned long enough. Pushing through the grass, Rannoch tread along the riverbank to clear his thoughts. The sounds of birds and the croaks of frogs brought him some peace... long enough to lay down and watch the stream...

Eventually the sounds of quieted hooves could be heard nearby along with two faint voices... "Look... I know how you must be feeling about Brechin's death. I understand.." A voice whispered and Rannoch pricked his ears. "It has been hard...-" the second voice trailed off into a quiet whisper and Rannoch grew suspicious.... there was silence for a minute or two before a gasp was heard. "Are you serious!?-" was that.... Juniper? Rannoch was on his hooves in an instant, eyes wild and searching for the pair before he crashed through the tall grass to see Hawthorne and Juniper. "It's time you leave Juniper." Hawthorne firmly stated as he locked eyes with Rannoch who stared at the two in confusion. Juniper looked at Rannoch before scampering away quickly, a tiny nod signally her thanks at his presence. "Rannoch this... dance, has gone on long enough." Hawthorne began, beginning to circle him. Rannoch narrowed his eyes and kept his eyes on him "Hawthorne I don't even know who you are anymore..." He shook his head in disbelief at the buck before him. Hawthorne laughed slowly and then more intensely as he lowered his horns "Oh Rannoch! You really crack me up sometimes... I was always worried since the day you first joined us... but now that I look at you." Hawthorne stared at him with this emotion that Rannoch couldn't decipher it was like looking at a bearyena and attempting to search its eyes for a hint of emotion where emotion should be... but finding none. "You're just a scared.... scared fawn." Hawthorne spat at him, Rannoch flinching. "If I were you, I would go find big brother Thistle, little fawn. Before there's another tragedy in Oak Creek." Hawthorne grinned with a devilish smile and Rannoch's breath hitched in his throat...

20220204204606_1.thumb.jpg.d812d6926327f8a8de3a3ed9ce13cf60.jpg

∘°❉°∘∘°❉°∘∘°❉°∘

Dominant Buck

Bucks
Thistle - A large buck with large antlers. Has a dark red coat and grey stripes and mane (Son of Cypress and Brechin)
Hawthorne - A medium-sized buck with large antlers. Has a dark red coat and white mane (Son of Willow and Brechin)
Rannoch - A medium-sized buck with small antlers. Has a yellow-mottled coat and chestnut mane

Lead Doe
Willow - A medium-sized antlered doe with a brown pelt and fluffy tail

Does
Cypress - A medium-sized antlered doe with a mossy, pale striped pelt and large ears
Juniper - A medium-sized antlered doe with a dark red coat (Daughter of Cypress and Brechin)
Sequoia - A medium-sized antlered doe with a chestnut brown coat (Daughter of Willow and Brechin)

Fawns/Yearlings/Spikes
Bayou - A medium-sized female fawn with a dark red coat (Daughter of Willow and Brechin)
Ivy - A medium-sized female fawn with a chestnut coat (Daughter of Cypress and Brechin)
Elowen - A large male fawn with a chestnut coat, gray stripes and a white mane (Son of Cypress and Brechin)

Herd of the Stars
Blight - A medium-sized doe with a pale, almost white pelt. Sacrificed her life into order to save fawns from a bearyena
Brechin - A large russet coloured buck with a pale mane. Killed while searching for the answer of a prophecy

• Like 1
  • Eek! 1

• 6 months later...

Rannoch's panicked gaze averted from Hawthorne's crazed grin, a feeling of impeding doom prickling at his pelt like thorns. He slowly backed away as a cackle escaped Hawthorne's snout, its volume growing and growing as Rannoch turned to run. He pushed through the tall grass, tail tucked and hocks bounding as he nearly galloped away. Hawthorne's demonic laugh echoed in Rannoch's ears, almost as if he was a stride behind him the whole way back to Oak Creek's clearing.

"Sequoia we need to talk." Rannoch whispered, his pelt ruffled and standing up. Sequoia's annoyed gaze flicked to Rannoch, rolling her eyes once before turning to walk away. Rannoch scrambled in front of her, the older does looking up from their fawns with quizzical expressions as they took notice of Rannoch's odd behaviour. "Sequoia-..." Rannoch whisper-yelled, his tone now stern with a hint of desperation. Sequoia stopped "Okay... this way." She walked quickly out of earshot of the rest of the clearing, concern now creasing her snout. 
image.thumb.jpeg.ca2c02cd4c6ac6770fb1ef52e03835c1.jpeg

"We need to leave Oak Creek, it's not safe here..." Rannoch began, his voice edged in unease. "Leave!? What? Why- I can't just abandon my family!" Sequoia sputtered, her ears lowering. "Trust me Sequoia, we have to leave tonight. Tell Juniper if you must but our journey will be long, there's no use worrying your mother and Cypress." Rannoch continued, his words spilling out quickly. "Why?- This can't be because of Hawthorne's silly Call to Challenge is it? Rannoch you don't have to leave, just deny it-" Rannoch shook his head before interrupting her with a hushed voice "Sequoia- Hawthorne is going to kill me." He stated firmly, Sequoia paused in shock, mouth slightly agape. "I know he's going to kill me because he killed Brechin... and he's made it clear that I'm next..."

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• 4 months later...