Stray Fawn Community

A tad bit more intresting water biomes.

AlphaBlox

Apparently nobody has suggested this.

Why raise water nichelings when water biomes are so BORING? there is not enough to explore down there. I feel like maybe these suggestions will make it a little more intresting? 

More fish: I know we have alot already, but it would be cool if we had fish for deep oceans and rivers. So here are my fish ideas!

River fish: Salmon. Just an ordinary salmon that goes up stream and then dies. dead body kinda like the clown koi. 

Deep ocean: Bass. Litteraly a bass. Troop, A trout that swims in groups of 2/3

Tropical fish: Colorful fish that just swim around like a fish.

Now  sea plant life!

Corals: Corals can come in colors of Purple, pink, red, orange, and yellow.

Seaweed: It grows very tall and has tons of nesting material. Very common deep in the ocean.

Squids: Little squid that ink you if you attack them. the inking takes away one turn for three days. they give 3 food.

Pufferfish: They give 2 food and once attacked they puff out and deal one attack to surrounding nichelings.

Bubble columns: They randomly start blowing at dig sites at least 5 tiles deep into the ocean. They launch your nicheling up into the air for about 1 second before they come back down.

And yeah.. Thats it.

• Like 15
  • Love 1

24 replies to this post

I agree on more interesting underwater areas and stuff. I would personally be in favor of an underwater biome with both underwater prey and predators so your nichelings spend 90% of their time down there, and maybe a small land tile with sand or something, just to help avoid situations where you get super unlucky and a baby without gills is born underwater, lol.

• Like 9

If aquatic biome is expanded on, aquatic camouflage should be considered!  Some possibilities:

- "Blue" color (the gray coat seen on these cats and this dog) could provide a standard +2 while in water.

- If more extensive aquatic life is added, stripes could grant camouflage in kelp beds, or spots could grant camouflage in reefs.

- Countershading (dark back, pale belly) is a very common camo adaptation.  Could provide bonus while swimming and flying.

• Like 5

I would love to see water only ports that maybe just have a small beach to start on.  I also love the idea of more fish/food/enemy types and underwater caves as 'nests'. I also love the idea of seaweed as underwater nesting material.

I would LOVE to see the following, in addition to the suggestions above:

• a lionfish mutation (poisonous and cool looking!)
  • a clownfish mutation that allows your nicheling to change genders (in the wild, clownfish meet so rarely, that when they do, the largest one turns into a female for mating purposes).
  • Anglerfish mutation allowing you to attract small schools of fish nearby
  • Octopus mutation that lets you change your appearance to match your surrounding environment
  • Giant Manta rays/sharks/killer whales as big enemies akin to apes/balance bears
  • Octopus' as enemies (they could act like moving jungle plants that ensnare your creature and you have to free them).
  • Squids as enemies that shoot ink (and give you a movement debuf like OP suggested)
  • Maybe underwater nichelings with enough 'swim' or 'underwater' points could lay eggs instead?  It would add an interesting dynamic of whether or not you would choose to guard your egg or just leave it. The underwater nests could still be in the shallows or have a bubble source nearby so if a baby is born that lacks underwater features it won't die immediately.
  • Also, Bioluminescence, in the water, on the nichelings, it would be cool!
Edited by rarespawn
Added suggestion
  • Like 6

Another thing I think would be cool is permanent underwater nests. If the water is going to become a biome of its own, which it often is, I think more food and predators should definitely be added, as well as nests. For the nests, I'd think they'd be like coral-ish with little kelp fronds or something with rock!

• Like 4

That would be awesome! I always liked to play with water nichelings but I was never able to get really into it because the water areas always felt really small and kinda plain, and, if this gets implemented, I’m really looking forward to all this would add!

• Like 2

I love this idea! I generally tend to lean towards water creatures more, since they're so cool, but after exploring a bit of the ocean, the fish go away and the life from it dissapears. I'd really like to see an improved water biome on all the islands, it would be the best update (almost) ever!

• Like 2

Maybe even the bubbles can provide relief from drowning if they are on that tile so they have to finish on a bubble tile to not take drowning damage (In the case of babies born without underwater breathing)

• Like 1

Proposed creature:  Mimicpus, a camouflaged underwater opportunist.

The mimicpus can transform to look like several kinds of static underwater props.  Clams, coconuts, and alga are all reasonable targets for its mimicry in the current game.  While they're difficult but possible to distinguish using vision (and sometimes in inappropriate locations), smell reveals them to be impostors.  When schools of fish pass the camouflaged mimicpus, it will attack them and grab a fish, thereby revealing itself.  It will spend a few actions "eating" the fish before it repositions and camouflages itself again.  It will not attempt to catch razorania nor goldleeches as they are dangerous enough to fight back, and will not camouflage while any creature is adjacent to it.

The mimicpus won't actively seek out fish nor spontaneously attack nichelings.  However, if a nicheling tries to "gather" from it, it will deal 1 damage to that nicheling, apply the poison debuff, and flee in its undisguised form.  Mimicpus has 2-3 health and can be attacked if it is undisguised or if a nicheling can smell it (small disincentive for losing sense of smell with gill and platypus heads).  If attacked outright, it tries to flee.  It is immune to the poisoned condition.