Stray Fawn Community

The Tiny Colony: A Cattails-Style Playthrough

medicine cat

CHAPTER 13 - DAY 181 CURRENT SEASON: Winter Year 5
STATUS CHECK
Leader: ALNA (Tan speckled female with hazel eyes)
Guard: VASSIE (Golden female with white spots and dark eyes)
Doctor: QUICK (Pitch black male with dark eyes)
Citizen: WAYWARD (Bright ginger male with blond stripes and dark eyes)
Citizen: BLAZEMANE (Bright ginger male with dark eyes)
Citizen: OLAF (Red male with dark eyes)
Citizen: SPARKPAW (Fiery red male with blond mane)
Citizen: BLOSSOM (Brown she-cat with dark eyes)
ARRIVAL: SHADOWSLIP (Tortoiseshell cat with dark eyes)
ARRIVAL: SANDFANG (Sandy-colored tom with dark eyes and a bushy tail)

One day in the middle of Winter, Vassie meets with Sandfang.
"Look, Sandfang. I'm going to be direct." She shifts her paws uncomfortably in the dirt. "I'd like to be mates with you."
Startled but flattered, Sandfang agrees. "Of course, Vassie."
"I never thought I'd see the day that your aunt agreed to have a mate," Alna comments to Blossom, flicking her tail.
"I'm proud of her. She looks happy," Blossom comments.
Alna nods. "Me too, Blossom."

Shadowslip grows into an adolescent and spends more time hanging out with her sister, Blossom.
image.png.c7e84b07ee0df3da6e443b8ff893dc65.png

Alna tells the colony that she's pregnant again. The colony is surprised at there being another kitten to join the colony, but they're delighted.
"I'm wondering when you'll have kits of your own," Alna purrs jokingly to Vassie.
"Watch it," Vassie hisses, but is smiling.
"I know we're not always on the best terms, but my kits love you," Alna purrs. "You've been great to Blossom and Shadowslip. Really, you're going to be a great mother. I think Mom would be really proud of you."
Vassie lowers her head, avoiding Alna's gaze. "Thank you, Alna. I really, really hope so."

Sparkpaw grows into a full adult tom, and Alna beams with pride at her son. 
image.png.01c4679a549939767a249962983b8f44.png

The colony holds their Winter festival.
image.thumb.png.dd5447ffab48501fd32457066381e518.png

• Eek! 1
  • Love 1

CHAPTER 14 - DAY 191 CURRENT SEASON: Spring Year 5
STATUS CHECK
Citizen: WAYWARD (Bright ginger male with blond stripes and dark eyes)
SHADOWSLIP (Tortoiseshell cat with dark eyes)
SANDFANG (Sandy-colored tom with dark eyes and a bushy tail)

Quick dies of an illness, devastating the cats of the colony- especially Alna. She is left distraught without her mate, especially while expecting a kitten. Wayward becomes the new doctor.
"I don't know what I'm going to do without him. He's been with me since the beginning of all of this, when I lost my father." She lays next to Wayward, her eyes fixed on her paws.
"I understand," he says quietly, his one eye staring into his leader. "He was my best friend, Alna. He had the best heart in all the cats of the colony."
"I just want to see him again."
"You will, Alna," promises Wayward, placing his tail on Alna's. "But for now, he'd want you to lead."

Alna rests her head on her paws. "I'm leading for my kittens. That's all."

But this is not the end of the colony's challenges. Blossom is sitting on the territory's edge one day when from the tall grass she is attacked by a bearyena. It strikes her in the face, and despite being terrified, she swipes back at the creature and manages to hold it off until Sandfang comes to assist her and kills the creature. Wayward quickly takes Blossom to the medicine den.
"She'll have a scar on her face, but she'll be fine," he confirms, reassuring Alna. "Just needs to rest for a few days."
"You're coming and resting with me in the nursery," orders Alna. 
"No way!"  Blossom hisses. "I'm nearly an adult."
"Blossom, please," Alna repeats her request, earnest this time. "I don't want to sit in that den alone without your father. Please come in with me, Blossom."
Blossom sighs, coming to rest beside her mother. The two are quiet for a while, and Alna rests against her mother, finding comfort in being with her, especially after the loss of Quick.

Vassie proudly announces that she'll be having a kitten, bringing a bit of positivity to the colony after the loss of Quick. Shadowslip helps her gather food and plan her nest, and Vassie happily allows her.

Blossom grows into a full adult.
image.png.82fec35cc543fbb82c928ffb15a1242a.png

Alna dies from complications of giving birth to her kitten a couple days before the spring festival, and the colony is in shock. Sparkpaw is forced to take his place as the leader of the colony while mourning his mother's death with his siblings. The colony is worries as to who will care for the kitten.
image.thumb.png.3b28dc9a03ca41c8655385b4e7a9e066.png
Wayward watches the kitten in the nursery that Alna left behind, tending to him while the clan tries to celebrate the festival. He's a beautiful kitten, and he looks much like Alna.
image.png.6d2e7805ef00e3b7fc09e5b408a0d714.png
"I want to care for him." Vassie stands in the entrance of the nest, approaching Wayward.
"You're preparing for your first kit. What makes you think you can raise this one at the same time?" Challenges the old doctor.
"Alna did it, why can't I?" Vassie flattens her ears. "And who do you expect to care for him instead?"
"I just don't think you're responsible enough to-"
"I've been guard of this colony for six seasons. I'm more than capable of protecting a kit, and I'm not taking orders from a cat who's been a doctor for less than a season," she hisses. "I'll raise him like my own son."
As much as Wayward resented Vassie, she had a point- the kitten even looked just like her.
She takes the kitten as her own, presenting him to Sandfang as a littermate of their future kitten.
"Let's call him Flywind," purrs Sandfang. "Maybe he'll be fast like Quick was." Flywind becomes the pride and joy of Vassie. He sticks close to her, and treats her as his biological mother.

The colony overall is mixed on reception of Sparkpaw as the new leader of the colony. He lacks confidence of being a leader, and the unrest is enough for the cats of the colony to rise up against him. Too proud to step down and still stressed from the loss of his parents, Sparkpaw instead abandons the colony. This leaves the colony scrambling to find their next leader. Blossom looks like the obvious choice, but Olaf says something that alters the entire argument.
"But she doesn't have royal blood!"
"What do you mean?" Blossom confronts him directly- without malice, but with genuine confusion. "I'm the daughter of Alna and Quick. Directly descended from Bold."
The older cats of the colony shift uncomfortably, while younger or newer cats such as Sandfang and Shadowslip are confused. Sighing, Blazemane steps forward as her friend.

"We were told to never tell you, but... It seems to come to this. You're... not colony-born, Blossom."
"What?" Now starting to get frustrated, Blossom looks around at the cats of the colony, and the longtime members all give her a look of sympathy. "Is this some kind of a joke?"
"You were found, Blossom," Vassie says bluntly, looking into her friend and niece's eyes. "Blazemane and Wayward's mother found you hiding from a Bearyena when you were Flywind's size. Your biological parents were dead. Alna told us to never tell you where you came from so you'd never feel like an outcast."
"It was to protect you," adds Wayward.
"Protect me? It sounds like I was lied to," hisses Blossom, running off. Shadowslip goes to follow her, but is met with a snarl, so she backs off. Sighing, Vassie goes to pursue her.

"You're not any less one of us, Blossom. Don't look at us like that." Vassie tells Blossom, who is sitting by the lake now by herself. "Is it about being leader?"
"Of course not!" Hisses Blossom. "I couldn't care less about who's leader. I just hate being treated like that. I don't feel like I was protected. I feel like I was deceived."
"I'd have told you if I thought it wouldn't have made my relationship with Alna more strained." Vassie shrugs, looking into her reflection beside Blossom. "I should've figured you'd find out eventually. It should've came from me."
"It's fine," says Blossom. "Just promise me something."
"Sure."
"My brother. Flywind..." Blossom looks at Vassie. "Be honest with him from the start. Let him know the truth, and tell him about his mother. Or at least let me tell him. Take it from someone who's walked a mile on his paws."
Vassie feels a pang of weight on her. She wants, for once, to not have Alna overshadowing her, at least for her own adoptive son. But Blossom's feelings matter to her, and she agrees.
"I'll tell him the truth, Blossom."

The colony decides that the next cat in line with royal blood is Shadowslip, and Shadowslip is unexpectedly promoted to leader as an adolescent.
"I don't know if I can do this," she admits to Blossom, her usual cocky smile gone from her face.
"I mean, this is how Mom started," says Blossom. "She was your age when she started her rule, too. You're gonna do fine."

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

CHAPTER 15 - DAY 201 CURRENT SEASON: Summer Year 6
STATUS CHECK
Leader: SHADOWSLIP (Tortoiseshell cat with dark eyes)
Doctor: WAYWARD (Bright ginger male with blond stripes and dark eyes)
Citizen: SANDFANG (Sandy-colored tom with dark eyes and a bushy tail)
Arrival: Citizen: Flywind (Tan tom with white speckles and beautiful purple eyes)
DEATHS & DEPARTURE

Shadowslip is having a bit of an issue adjusting to her new life as leader of the Tiny Colony.
"I don't know, guys," she says to Blossom and Blazemane. "This was put on me really suddenly."
"Tell me about it," Blossom replies. "Until the other day, I had no idea that I wasn't colony-born."
Shadowslip flattens her ears. "I just... I lose my parents, and now I'm ruling over the colony. That's a lot in a short period of time."
"Sure it is," Blazemane says. "That's more than any cat should ever have to deal with. It didn't help that Sparkpaw was a coward. But for what it's worth, you have me to support you."
"You have us," Blossom purrs, correcting him.

Vassie gives birth to a daughter. She is a sandy and golden cat, with a snout like her father.
"I'll name her Yew," purrs Vassie. 
Meanwhile, Flywind's eyes open, revealing beautiful purple eyes like no cat in the colony had seen before. They marvel at the sight, and Vassie beams with pride at her litter of her son and daughter.
"I've never been happier," she purrs to Sandfang, nuzzling her mate.
image.png.c657df9a72126ea17002dd649ec89ff4.png
The only problem is that the mischievous Flywind often picks on Yew, who is smaller and weaker for the moment. Vassie adores Flywind and somehow doesn't notice this behavior. Sandfang does, however, and scolds young Flywind.

The colony is approached by two she-cats, one older and one younger.
"Who goes there?" asks Blossom, covering for Vassie while she cares for her kittens.
"We're looking for a new colony," says the younger she-cat, a blond female with green eyes. 
"Our old one was destroyed in a drought," the older she-cat adds softly, her eyes downcast.
"Sounds like you need some help. I will take you to our leader, Shadowslip," purrs Blossom. The two are inducted into the clan.

The older of the two is Nightfall, a mud-brown she-cat with pretty brown eyes. Nightfall is gentle and quiet, and she becomes friends with Sandfang, who was an outsider to the colony once, too.
image.png.97fd0a168362402925f32c9bffabc949.png
The younger of the two she-cats is named Sunrise, and she has an eccentric and bubbly personality.
image.png.787bed5894a3c3efe2fe8ee0510386bc.png

Vassie is impressed with Nightfall's strength, and calls her into her den one day.
"I think you'd be useful on our guard," says Vassie. "My friend Blossom says you have powerful claws."
"Oh, I don't know," says the she-cat. "I'm not much of a fighter."
"Sure you are," says Vassie. "You survived your old colony being destroyed and are making a life for yourself in a new one. I'd say that's definitely being a fighter. Try training with Blossom for me."
Nightfall agrees to train with Blossom, and the two become good friends. Highly impressed with her work, Blossom suggests to Vassie that she becomes the next guard of the colony.

Blazemane begins speaking to Sunrise, asking her about her old colony's culture. He's entertained by Sunrise's jokes, and spends more time with her. Shadowslip, who has feelings for Blazemane, looks on in jealousy.
"Why don't you go for him, then?" Vassie asks her one day as she's tending to her kits.
"Because I'm still so young," says Shadowslip. "I want to be independent for a while too. But I'm not sure."
"Then you better decide fast," says Vassie. "I mean, he'd be a fool to say no to the ruler of the colony."

The colony celebrates their summer festival, and spirits are much higher now than they were at the last festival; there's a new kitten, and two new colony members. Things are looking up for Tiny Colony.
image.png.2925acd3355f16fefac0baadcdc549eb.png

• Like 2
  • Love 1

CHAPTER 16 - DAY 211 CURRENT SEASON: Fall Year 6
STATUS CHECK
Citizen: Flywind (Tan tom with white speckles and beautiful purple eyes)
Arrival: Citizen: Yew (Sandy-and-gold she-cat with dark eyes)
Arrival: Citizen: Nightfall (Dusky brown she-cat with brown eyes)
Arrival: Citizen: Sunrise (Bright yellow she-cat with pretty green eyes)

A bearyena approaches the colony, and Blossom, Blazemane, Olaf, and Sandfang team up to fight it. They manage to take it down, but before it goes down, it injures Olaf slightly and seriously injures Blossom, raking its claws down her stomach before it dies. Blossom is rushed to Wayward, who treats her wounds.
"She'll never be able to be a guard," he tells Vassie. "I know that you wanted her to succeed you, but she's going to be weaker from now on. It's not happening. I'm sorry."
Blossom takes this very hard initially, since she has always loved to battle. Wayward comforts her by offering her an apprentice position as a new doctor, and she takes it.
"I guess I'd like to be a doctor like my dad," she says.
"Your father Quick was a great doctor," purrs Wayward. "You will be, too."

Yew's eyes open, and her personality is an immature one. The arguments between she and Flywind persist, and Sandfang cares for Yew while Vassie returns to Guard work.
image.png.a3b5da729cd29abf72d927c4eae555c5.png

Flywind is growing too; he grows into an adolescent cat, and his personality is much like that of Shadowslip's. The two become good friends.
image.png.9e29d397265c024de6699c4835a505b5.png

Shadowslip prepares to confess her feelings to Blazemane, but is heartbroken to find that he and Sunrise announce that they are now mates. She sits, in a huff, with Blossom.
"How am I supposed to get over him?" She asks her sister.
"Don't ask me," Blossom responds, sorting herbs in the medicine den, grunting under her breath when she turns the wrong way and stretches her wound. "I've never been in love before. Try to get a project to work on, I guess. That's how I'm coping with this whole injury thing."
Shadowslip sighs, flopping in protest on the floor next to her sister. 
"Why not get a change of scenery?" Blossom asks. "We've been on this island since before I was born, you know. Before Mom was even leader of the colony. We could use a new island."
"I actually like the sound of that," replies Shadowslip. "We can discuss it at the fall festival."

"The colony is reaching unprecedented numbers- it now boasts 11 members," Shadowslip says at the fall festival. "We've been on this island for fifteen seasons. I think that it's time to move."
The colony is almost entirely open to this idea. They agree to move west.

Sandfang dies in an accident where a cactus fell on him, leaving Vassie in grief. She confides in Shadowslip one day in the presence of Blossom.
"I don't think I'm going to come to the new island," she explains. "I want to stay here... where Sandfang was his whole life."
"But Vassie!" protests Shadowslip. "You're our guard."
"I'm getting old, Shadowslip," Vassie says firmly. "Wayward and Olaf are staying back too. It's time for the younger cats to take the lead on the colony. Blossom already knows."
"I..." Shadowslip flattens her ears. "I understand. But we'll miss you terribly, Vassie."
Vassie gives a motherly lick on the top of Shadowslip's head. "Take care of my kits for me. Watch them. Please."
"Of course we will," Blossom says.

The colony gives their final goodbyes, and they arrive on a new island- a giant grassland. 

Sunrise and Blazemane announce that they'll be having a kitten. Blossom takes her place as doctor, and Nightfall becomes the guard.

Meanwhile, Shadowslip grows into a full adult she-cat, and Yew grows into a teenager.
"You look just like dad," purrs Blossom with pride. "I bet he's really proud of you, Shadowslip."
Shadowslip smiles. "I sure hope so."

image.png.9c475e60e9f4560f5bcb38fef6d791c1.png

"I think you need to focus on finding a mate," comments Flywind, smirking at Shadowslip.
"What do you know about love?" Shadowslip flattens her ears. "You're a teenager."

The colony celebrates their Winter festival, optimistic for the future on the new island.

• Like 2
  • Eek! 1
  • Love 2

CHAPTER 17 - DAY 231 CURRENT SEASON: Spring Year 6
STATUS CHECK
Guard: NIGHTFALL (Dusky brown she-cat with brown eyes)
Doctor: BLOSSOM (Brown she-cat with dark eyes)
Citizen: FLYWIND (Tan tom with white speckles and beautiful purple eyes)
Arrival: Citizen: YEW (Sandy-and-gold she-cat with dark eyes)
Arrival: Citizen: SUNRISE (Bright yellow she-cat with pretty green eyes)
DEATH & DEPARTURES

Without her parental figures, Yew begins to talk to different cats in the colony to find some advice and direction as to where she's going in life. She finds a friend in Nightfall, and is curious to hear about her life before joining the Colony.
"I know you're scared moving on to a new island without your parents," Nightfall says softly walking beside Yew as she patrols the territory. "I felt that way when Sunrise and I got out of our old colony. I didn't have my family, just Sunrise. The main thing is to connect with those around you to be able to adapt to a new place."
"I
 mostly only talk to you and Blazemane," responds Yew, flicking her tail. "I don't get along with my family, really..." she looks over to where Flywind is interacting with Blossom and Shadowslip.
"Your brother?" asks NIghtfall. Yew nods. "He's no help with this move, and has never been that kind to me. They all love him, though."
"You don't need his support," meows Nightfall, placing a supportive paw on Yew. "There are cats in the colony who accept you as you are."

Sunrise gives birth to her kitten with Blazemane- a son, who the two name Sunblaze.
"The first birth of the new island," purrs Blazemane proudly. "He's revolutionary."
Sunblaze is a quiet and easy kitten, sticking close to his mother and sleeping most of the time.
image.png.e4543216daa6735bc649426152d53b37.png

The colony celebrates their spring festival, and summer begins.
image.thumb.png.2c75dada061e66e1cf981df324157cbb.png

A bearyena attacks the colony, striking fear into the cats. Nightfall springs into action and powerfully bats her claws across the creature's face. The creature knocks her onto her side and is about to strike her when Yew tackles it, finishing it off.
"You saved me!" Purrs Nightfall gratefully. "You're a talented fighter, Yew. Just like your mother."

Sunblaze's eyes open, and he is a thoughtful, quiet cat who often prefers to play by himself. He has beautiful golden eyes. He often plays with Flywind, and they enjoy racing each other.
image.png.7eb989ec91001fefc32e9125cb409332.png

The colony then celebrates their summer festival and prepare for the fall and winter ahead. Shadowslip announces to the colony her interest in bringing in new members native to the new island.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

CHAPTER 18 - DAY 261 CURRENT SEASON: Winter Year 7
STATUS CHECK
Guard: YEW (Sandy-and-gold she-cat with dark eyes)
Citizen: SUNRISE (Bright yellow she-cat with pretty green eyes)
Arrival: Citizen: SUNBLAZE (Handsome golden tom with golden eyes)
DEATHS

Guard: NIGHTFALL (Dusky brown she-cat with brown eyes)

Blazemane and Nightfall die of disease, and Yew takes her place as the new guard.
Shadowslip sits under an oak tree in colony territory, her legs tucked under her. Blossom comes to join her.
"What's wrong?"
"I feel like a failure since moving to this new island," hisses Shadowslip bitterly. "Our numbers were much larger a year ago. We are down to almost half the members we used to have on the new island. I'm scared that I've made a mistake."
"There's no going back," replies Blossom bluntly. "Moving to a new island is always hard, Shadowslip. You can't expect it to be easy."
"I don't want to put my colony in danger."
"We needed a change," asserts Blossom. "You can't doubt yourself."

Yew grows into a full adult she-cat. Though enjoying her position as the guard of the colony, she feels rather isolated with Nightfall dead and worries about the future of the guard.
"I feel like I need an apprentice," she confesses to Sunrise, "But I don't see any cat in the colony with the strength to do so or with interest to be a guard."
"I'm sure you'll find one," purrs Sunrise optimistically. "Shadowslip is looking for new cats for the colony- maybe you'll find your apprentice that way."

image.png.7eced50843cd68c4c672b578317515da.png

Tensions also rise between Yew and Flywind. Flywind is jealous of Yew being the guard of the colony due to her impressive strength, wishing he could take Vassie's old position.
"You don't have the GUTS to be a guard," hisses Flywind. "Mom would've wanted me as the guard if she knew how you would have turned out."
"Leave me alone, Flywind," hisses Yew.
"No. I know inadequacy when I see it," hisses Flywind, resentment practically emanating from him. "Were you half the guard mother was, you'd actually fight something."
"Leave me alone." Yew's voice raises, and she feels the fur on her back raise with anger. "I have bigger things to worry about than your complaints."
But Flywind keeps talking, antagonizing Yew. She finally loses control, and in a moment of anger, knocks Flywind down and digs her claws into his stomach. "Leave me alone!"
The tom yowls in pain, and realizing what she's done, Yew backs off of Flywind and he slinks to the doctor's den.

Shadowslip comes to confront Yew later in the day.
"As a guard, you gravely violated your duty by turning your claws on your own clanmate. I don't care WHAT Flywind did to agitate you, but it's inappropriate. Nightfall would be ashamed. Your mother would be ashamed," Shadowslip spits. Shadowslip feels awkward scolding a clanmate, but gathers her strength imagining what Alna would have said. "He was raised alongside you, Yew. He's your own brother."
Yew keeps her eyes downcast and her ears flat. "Is he okay?"
"He's going to be fine. He's sore, but Blossom said it won't leave a scar. And you should be grateful to Heaven that that's all the damage that there was or there would be penalties. Were we not so desperate for a guard, I would have you be relieved from your duty."
"I understand, Shadowslip," sighs Yew. "I apologize."

When Shadowslip leaves and returns to her den, Yew curses herself for letting her anger get to her in such a way. Not only had she made the deep-seated tension between she and her brother worse, but now Shadowslip, leader of the colony, disliked her. Even so, Yew couldn't help but not regret what she did. Flywind would at least not harass her anymore.

Blossom, meanwhile, is finding an apprentice in the teen Sunblaze. He follows around Blossom, asking her about different treatments and illnesses.
"Your uncle was the doctor before me, you know," purrs Blossom. "You didn't know him, but he was very close to your father. I'm sure he'd be proud if he knew you were following in his pawprints."

The colony celebrates their winter festival.
image.thumb.png.621a35b8074c233d876922cb7c5499a0.png
(Left to right: Yew, Shadowslip, Sunrise, Blossom, Sunblaze, and Flywind.)

• Like 2

CHAPTER 19 - DAY 271 CURRENT SEASON: Spring Year 7
STATUS CHECK
Citizen: SUNBLAZE (Handsome golden tom with golden eyes)

One day while patrolling the borders of the territory, Yew is delighted to find a tomcat looking curiously into clan territory.
"Are you looking for a colony?" She asks, curiously. Hesitantly, he nods.
"My name is Brimstone," he says.
"Then follow me, Brimstone. You'll be introduced to our leader, Shadowslip."
Brimstone nods, and is inducted as a colony member. Shadowslip is delighted to have a new tom in the colony, and Brimstone stares at the pretty she-cat as she makes him a clanmate.
image.png.615716ef583d7ac06e5ffde30892eaa0.png

"Think he's suitable to be a mate?" Blossom asks Shadowslip one day in private. "You need an heir, Shadowslip."
"He's... Not really my type," confesses Shadowslip, flattening her ears. " Really not my type. But it's something I have to consider, I guess."
"It's not like you have to be the love of his life," shrugs Blossom. "He seems rather interested in you, actually."

Meanwhile, Sunblaze has befriended the new tom, and is talking to him about the colony members He talks to him about it at the spring festival.
"Shadowslip... Does she have a mate?" Brimstone asks Sunblaze curiously, who shakes his head.
"Shadowslip's never had a mate. She loved a cat long ago, but it wasn't returned." Sunblaze shrugs. "I was never told who."
Sunblaze and Brimstone become good friends, and Sunrise also becomes friends with Brimstone through her son.

image.png.fb22850c67596d40a19aa8812f65459b.png
(The Spring festival; Sunblaze, Shadowslip, Yew, Sunrise, Brimstone, Blossom, and Flywind.)

Finally, Brimstone sparks the courage to ask Shadowslip to be his mate. Reluctantly, she agrees.
"Did you change your mind about him?" Asks Blossom curiously.
"No, but I love my colony," she says. "And I care about him as a friend. But please don't tell anyone how I feel."
Blossom agrees, and Shadowslip marries Brimstone. Their wedding is celebrated at the summer festival.

• Like 2

CHAPTER 19 - DAY 271 CURRENT SEASON: Fall Year 7
STATUS CHECK
Citizen: SUNBLAZE (Handsome golden tom with golden eyes)
Arrival: Citizen: BRIMSTONE (Dark ginger tom with tan speckles)

A bearyena attacks the day after the summer festival, leaving most of the colony to panic. Yew and Brimstone rush to the creature first, and the other cats try to fight it, but are barreled out of the way.
"It's no use!" Yowls Shadowslip. "It's too strong!"
The bearyena is about to strike Shadowslip, and Shadowslip shuts her eyes tightly, bracing for impact. But the strike of claws never comes, and Shadowslip sees Blossom hurling herself at the bearyena.
That's impossible, Shadowslip thinks to herself, a pit forming in her stomach. Blossom was supposed to never fight again after her injury. She's not strong enough to fight the bearyena on her own...!
"Blossom, no!" yowls Flywind, flattening his ears. Blossom gives one last look at her siblings and takes the bearyena down, but the bearyena takes her down with it, and she dies fighting it.
"She died protecting us," says Sunrise quietly.

"She was a true member of the Tiny Colony if I ever saw one," says Shadowslip. "She gave her all. For us..."

Sunblaze becomes the young new doctor of the colony.
Shadowslip is silent for a while after Blossom's death. speaking very little to her clanmates. Brimstone offers her his support, but she withdraws. "I really don't want to talk, Brimstone." Brimstone stays quiet, but doesn't leave Shadowslip, remaining in her den with her. Brimstone's support piles guilt upon Shadowslip; he really loved her, didn't he? She shook away the thought. She had to marry him for the good of the colony. She wanted the colony to have a future.

The colony celebrates its Fall festival, and there, Shadowslip has an announcement to make.
"I will be having a kitten," she purrs. Shocked but pleased, the colony reacts with approving meows.

image.png.a79b8b340b9e58eeabe0f304692ef037.png
(Left to right: Flywind, Sunrise, Brimstone, Sunblaze, Yew, and Shadowslip)

Meanwhile, Yew strikes up a friendship with Sunblaze.
"You know, I knew your uncle when he was a doctor," purrs Yew. "I bet your dad and him would be proud if they could see you now."
Sunblaze, flustered, fiddles with the herbs in the doctor's den. "Thank you, Yew. I really hope so."

Brimstone sticks beside Shadowslip closely throughout her pregnancy, and asks Sunblaze many questions about her health and how she's coming along. Flywind also often stops by to joke around and converse with his sister, much to the dismay of Brimstone, who finds him rude.

Another bearyena attacks the colony, pouncing on Sunrise and killing her. All of the cats except the pregnant Shadowslip go to attack it. Brimstone is the first to leap into action, wanting to defend his clan and mate, but the bearyena bites his head and claws his back. He is alive, but gravely wounded.

Finally, Yew delivers the final blow and takes the bearyena down. Sunblaze is desperate to save Brimstone, wanting to keep the bearyena's wounds from killing his friend like they killed his mother. He manages to keep him hanging on in critical condition in the medical den. 

Sunblaze is sorting herbs when Brimstone wakes up in the doctor's den.
"Where are Shadowslip and my kitten? Are they all right?" He asks desperately. He raises his head, but groans in pain.
"You're awake," sighs Sunblaze in relief. "I'm so glad you're all right."
"Yes, but my kitten? My mate?"
Sunblaze gestures with his tail to the corner of the doctor's den, where Shadowslip rests quietly with a dark ginger kitten curled up into her side. She smiles at him.

Brimstone moves to get up and join her, but groans in pain when he tries to get up and fails.
"The bearyena injured your back, as well as cost you your left eye," says Sunblaze. "You're not going to walk well like you used to." Brimstone rests his head in his paws, and Shadowslip, in response, carries her kit over to him and lies down beside him. The kitten she set down between them purrs, happily taking in the presence of his parents.
"I thought we could call him Rootpaw," Shadowslip says, resting her head on his shoulder. 
image.png.2ce49315f81e6a5712df2b6eadc2d7a1.png

Rootpaw is a much needed source of joy for the colony after the recent bearyena attack, and they are very interested in the long-awaited heir to the throne of Tiny Colony. Brimstone spends his time recovering in the den with Shadowslip, and the two begin to bond more. Shadowslip finds herself actually becoming attached to Brimstone, and finds herself getting feelings for the tom. It's refreshing for her- she hasn't been in love since Sunrise had become mates with Blazemane years ago.

The colony celebrates the winter festival.

image.png.8f3138bdbb373cc078a2a9690cba4c73.png
(From left to right: Rootpaw, Shadowslip, Brimstone, Yew, Flywind, and Sunblaze)

"I've noticed you opening up more lately," Brimstone says after the festival, placing his paw on Shadowslip's. "I didn't think you'd ever open up to me after Blossom died."
"Well, I'm curious. I still am confused by you," she admits to Brimstone as their kit sleeps beside her. "You lost your eye. You can't walk. You're still so weak, Brimstone, and the accident was nearly a season ago. But the first thing you asked about when you woke up that day was if I was okay. If he was okay." She looks down at Rootpaw.
"Of course I'd worry about that first. I love you, Shadowslip."
For the first time, Shadowslip doesn't hesitate. "I love you too, Brimstone."

• Like 2

CHAPTER 20 - DAY 311 CURRENT SEASON: Spring Year 7
STATUS CHECK
Doctor: SUNBLAZE (Handsome golden tom with golden eyes)
Citizen: BRIMSTONE (Dark ginger tom with tan speckles)
Arrival: Citizen: ROOTPAW (Dark red tom with dark eyes and sharp fangs)
DEATH

Yew traces the borders of the colony, and is surprised to see a beautiful ginger she-cat looking around curiously. Interested in learning about the newcomer, she pads forward.
"What're you doing on colony territory?" She asks, tilting her head to the side.
"I'm sorry, I didn't know this was a colony," the female responds shyly. "My name is Bloomtail, and I'm looking for a place to stay."
You're in luck," purrs Yew. "We're looking for new members. I'll take you to our leader."
Bloomtail is made a member of the colony, and Yew gives her a tour of the colony.
image.png.1daa00ae9a2cd933033245c331f542ad.png
(Bloomtail.)

"What's your job in the colony?" Bloomtail asks quietly, sticking close to her guide. 
"I'm a guard," responds Yew. "I've been looking for a guard apprentice."
"That sounds like something I could do," says Bloomtail shyly. "I don't know a lot about battle, but I'm willing to learn."
Yew smiles enthusiastically. "Perfect!"
The two begin training together, and become the best of friends over time.

"Who's your friend?" Flywind asks Yew, finally speaking to her after ages of silence from when they fought.
"My new guard apprentice," Yew responds quickly. "Her name is Bloomtail."
"She's beautiful," says Flywind, stepping forward to approach her. Yew raises an eyebrow.

"You know, I was raised alongside Yew," Flywind says to Bloomtail. "If you get along with her, I'm sure you and me can get along." He watches the pretty ginger she-cat, and is taken aback when she laughs at him.
"Not from what Yew's told me about you. I don't think that you're my type," she laughs. Flywind flattens his ears, glaring at Yew. Yew simply shrugs.

Meanwhile, Shadowslip is recovering from her pregnancy well and her son Rootpaw is growing quickly, but Brimstone's wounds are not healing properly. Sunblaze desperately is trying to make sure they heal, but it's not working, and Brimstone is beginning to fall ill. Shadowslip spends all of her time keeping Brimstone company and they're bonding well, but Shadowslip is noticing the decline, too.

Exasperated with Brimstone's condition and the inability to fix it, Sunblaze throws down his herbs and leaves the doctor's den, pacing across colony territory. Yew follows him.

"What's wrong, Sunblaze?" Yew asks, quickly trailing behind. Sunblaze doesn't answer initially. "You're doing great. Shadowslip and her kit are thriving."
"Brimstone's crashing, Yew." Sunblaze finally admits it aloud, and sits down. His head hangs low. "I thought he'd be able to at least survive after the encounter with the bearyena, but his wounds got infected. He's getting weaker." He looks at his clanmate, no hope in his eyes. "He's my friend. I lost my mother to the same creature. And it makes me so... angry."

"You're the best doctor I know, Sunblaze," purrs Yew, nuzzling her head into his shoulder. "Brimstone's an old cat. Cats are going to come and go, but I promise that you'll always have me as long as I can help it."
Sunblaze sighs. "Thank you."
"I love you, Sunblaze."
"I love you, too."

Sunblaze and Yew become mates. Though this doesn't take the weight off of Sunblaze's heart, Yew's company helps him.

Brimstone inevitably dies due to infected wounds, and Shadowslip is to raise Rootpaw alone. She focuses on raising Rootpaw to cope with the loss, and the two become very close. Rootpaw's eyes open not long after his father's death, and his personality begins to emerge- he is a jolly and playful kitten. He becomes close friends with Sunblaze and views him like an older brother- Shadowslip thinks this is because he was around him so much as a newborn.

image.png.0e707fa5d52e90f27aaf6761e7c34f0c.png

The colony celebrates their spring festival.
image.thumb.png.4e3eb2f1cd8d172ce4d5793aefc10d94.png
(Left to right: Rootpaw, Shadowslip, Yew, Sunblaze, Bloomtail, Flywind)

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, medicine cat said:

Yew traces the borders of the colony, and is surprised to see a beautiful ginger she-cat

Beautiful you say?

become the best of friends over time.

Ah yes, "best friends". Bosom friends, roommates, Sappho's friends

Sunblaze and Yew become mates

Wait what when how whyyyyyyy

• Haha 1

CHAPTER 21 - DAY 321 CURRENT SEASON: Summer Year 8
STATUS CHECK
Citizen: ROOTPAW (Dark red tom with dark eyes and sharp fangs)
Arrival: Citizen: BLOOMTAIL (Pretty ginger she-cat with bright blue eyes)

DEATHS
Citizen: BRIMSTONE (Dark ginger tom with tan speckles)

"I've been teaching Rootpaw about being a leader, but I'm worried I won't make it much longer," Shadowslip confesses to Flywind.
"Why's that? The colony is doing great." The tom looks at her.
"I'm getting old, Flywind. I was leader a very long time before I had my kitten, and raising him alone without Brimstone has taken a toll on me. I want you to promise me that you can help take care of Rootpaw when I'm gone."
"I will," agrees the tan tom, bowing his head.

Meanwhile, Yew has an announcement for the colony- she will be having a kitten with Sunblaze.

Shadowslip finally dies of old age, leaving Rootpaw as heir. 
"He's still a kitten," argues Bloomtail, concerned. "We can't have a kitten ruling the colony. Why not have another in the bloodline rule for him until he's a bit older? At least an adolescent?"
The colony agrees on this. As the next direct child of Alna and closest in blood to Shadowslip, Flywind becomes leader. Despite his lack of experience on raising a kit, he wants to keep his promise to Shadowslip.

But this proves hard for Flywind- he treats Rootpaw more like a friend or brother, and has a hard time teaching him any form of discipline. The two often joke around or slack off. When Sunblaze confronts him on raising him to be like a leader, Flywind retorts that he can raise Rootpaw however he likes.

Rootpaw reaches the age of adolescent, and is promoted to the leader of the colony after Flywind's brief rule. But Flywind's raising has its influence on Rootpaw, and Rootpaw shows a childish outlook on ruling the colony.

"He's still young," Sunblaze says to his clanmates, defending him. "Give Rootpaw time to mature." But Sunblaze, too, is worried if Rootpaw will live up to the legacy of the rulers before him.

image.png.8fa92cc68994dba51d231add27287757.png

The colony celebrates their summer festival. Soon after, Yew's kitten is born.

image.thumb.png.82e7f827aa639d9e8caf31a68cd2fd39.png

The kitten is a female, and Yew names her Dusty. Dusty is a quiet and easy kit, but prefers her father over her mother.

image.png.4a09f9b5eef1cda489971b5d4bc2c0f8.png

• Sad 1

CHAPTER 22 - DAY 331 CURRENT SEASON: Fall Year 8
STATUS CHECK
Leader: ROOTPAW (Dark red tom with dark eyes and sharp fangs)
Citizen: BLOOMTAIL (Pretty ginger she-cat with bright blue eyes)
Arrival: Citizen: DUSTY (Golden she-cat with yellow eyes and a flat face)

Fall passes through the colony mostly peacefully and quietly. This is a good thing, since Yew is taking a break from her guarding duties to raise Dusty, her newborn kitten. Bloomtail is keeping guard while Yew raises Dusty.
One day while patrolling colony territory, Bloomtail comes across a she-cat with a warm brown pelt. 
"Who goes there?" Bloomtail asks, raising her hackles. To her surprise, the she-cat raises her hackles back, though being obviously weaker than Bloomtail.
"Leave me alone," the she-cat asserts. "I'm just looking for a colony. I don't want to fight you, but I will if I have to."
Impressed with the she-cat's bravery, Bloomtail steps back. "Looking for a colony, you say?"
"Yes," replies the she-cat. "My name is Bearwing. I moved from my old colony looking for a new life."
Bearwing is taken to Rootpaw, who makes her a colony member.
image.png.4a601de04fe35dfbb66268629d6f4c90.png

"What's gotten into you, lately?" Sunblaze asks Rootpaw at the fall festival.
"Her," says Rootpaw directly, looking at Bearwing as she chats with Bloomtail and Yew. "She's beautiful. I've never seen a cat like her. And yet..."
"You're too young to marry," says Sunblaze, quickly nipping the thought in the bud. "You need to learn how to rule a colony before you get into anything like that."
"And what do you know?" Retorts Rootpaw, flattening his ears and nudging his friend. "Since I'm leader, I should do what I like." He smiles mischievously. Sunblaze is not amused.

image.thumb.png.7084f0a25f415a753d65ad0551da40e2.png
(Left to right: Bloomtail, Bearwing, Flywind, Sunblaze, Rootpaw, Dusty, and Yew.)

Dusty's personality begins to form more, meanwhile. She is gentle and kind, and begins to follow her father around and ask him more about his career as a doctor. Yew returns to her position as a guard, and Bearwing shows interest in the guard position.
"I think Bearwing would be a great guard, actually," chimes in Bloomtail. "I enjoy it, but she's got the heart for it. I'm happy to help the colony, but I can't say that I wouldn't rather be picking berries or sunbathing.
"If you're both okay with the idea, then I can train Bearwing to be the next guard," agrees Yew.

Winter rolls by, and the winter festival arrives. Dusty grows into an adolescent.
image.png.55fb0ed471f04d66a9e7abbb9cfd5ebd.png

But to the colony's surprise, as spring comes around, they are once again faced with an abandoned kitten.
One day while patrolling the coast of the island the clan lives on, Yew hears weak meowing near the water. Shocked, she finds a dusty-brown, abandoned kitten there. He's terrified and worn down, and is caught in the current of the waves. Yew's first instinct, of course, is to save him.  She handles the water much easier than he does and safely brings him ashore. The terrified kitten clings to Yew's warmth, and she feels a pang of pity in her chest.
"What happened to you?" she asks, getting straight to the point. 
"I was washed away... I was playing... on the shoreline... My family was gone..."
Yew's ears flattened. She raised her head, looking at the crashing waves around the island. Wherever this kitten washed up from, he wasn't going to find his family or be able to go back. He'd have to be taken in by the colony now.
"It was an accident!" the kitten continues. "I didn't mean to! I was just playing.." He's stopped by Yew, licking the top of his head in a motherly manner.
"You're going to be okay. It wasn't your fault. Come here." Yew carries the kitten in the hollow of a tree, much warmer and dryer than the shore. "What's your name?"
"Kitro," the small tom responds.
"Kitro, you're going to be safe here. I can't fix the storm or what happened, but we will care for you here the best we can."
image.png.9da69837d4571c5e60a437439eb6973e.png

Kitro is taken in by Yew and Sunblaze. His personality soon emerges, and he is an energetic, fast-talking kitten.
"A kit taken into the colony from somewehere else? I've never heard of that," Dusty says, looking at her parents suspiciously. "I've heard of rogue adults, but a kitten raised as a colony cat?"
"It's happened before," interrupts Flywind. "One of my sisters came to the colony the same way. Our mother was the leader of the entire colony before Shadowslip."

An illness strikes; Flywind and Bloomtail die. Yew and Bearwing mourn especially for Bloomtail, while Rootpaw mourns for Flywind.
"Don't you miss him? You were raised alongside him," Rootpaw asks Yew about Flywind. "He took care of me when my mother died." His voice is sharp and angry. Yew knows that Rootpaw simply misses Flywing, but the question stings. If she's honest, Yew knows that she doesn't miss Flywind- he bullied her when they were kittens, and took joy in making her life harder for years. But she did love him.
"I'm sorry, Rootpaw." This is all that Yew can say. "I know that you were really close to him."
"Whatever. I feel like I'm the only one who cares to remember him." Rootpaw flattens his ears, padding off to the edges of the colony's territory.

"He doesn't realize that Flywind pushed other cats away for most of his life before he took care of Rootpaw," says Yew to Sunblaze, who had been watching the conversation. "Flywind only talked to Shadowslip and Blossom. He was bitter to most everyone else."
"But Rootpaw can't act like that. He's young and I know he is still learning, but as colony leader he can't divide the colony because he's grieving. I worry for him."

The colony celebrates their Spring festival. Though numbers are smaller, the colony is optimistic with multiple young cats in the group growing strong.
image.thumb.png.491c765277912c4e1b85839611860130.png

• Like 2

CHAPTER 22 - DAY 360 CURRENT SEASON: Summer Year 9
STATUS CHECK
Arrival: Citizen: DUSTY (Golden she-cat with yellow eyes and a flat face)
Arrival: Citizen: KITRO (Tan tomcat with brown speckles)
Arrival: Citizen: BEARWING (Pretty brown she-cat)
DEATHS
Citizen: BLOOMTAIL (Pretty ginger she-cat with bright blue eyes)

Kitro grows into a teenager. He begins to bicker with Dusty, who considers him unwise and too energetic.
image.png.60b868156539be6ae13a8d549d7de145.png
"I can't stand him," mumbles Dusty, sorting herbs beside Sunblaze.
"He's your brother," says Sunblaze, sorting herbs with her.
"You don't get it. I know he needs us, but he just overstimulates me whenever he's around. He's really loud."
"You'll miss having someone to annoy you when you're cooped up in a doctor's den one day," responds Sunblaze. 

Yew dies of natural causes, leaving Sunblaze and their children mourning. Bearwing takes her place as the guard of the colony.

Rootpaw comes to comfort Sunblaze, spending time with his friend.
"I'm sorry, Sunblaze." Rootpaw places his paw on his friend's. "I'll be honest. I don't know how you're feeling right now. But I'm sorry." Sunblaze looks over at Rootpaw, shocked.
"I've lost many cats in my time as a doctor, Rootpaw. But this one hurts the worst."
Rootpaw is quiet for a moment. He leaves Sunblaze's side, and later returns with a rabbit for him to eat. "Here."
"I don't feel like eating, Rootpaw."
"Yew wouldn't want you to be upset," says Rootpaw, more directly this time. "She'd want you to stay healthy. You have two kittens you're still raising."
Reluctantly, Sunblaze begins to eat the rabbit. "Thank you, Rootpaw."

Rootpaw grows into a full adult, and begins to show more potential as a leader. He is still a bit childlike, but is much more patient with others. He is a jolly cat, wanting to bring more members into the colony and make them feel welcome.
image.png.926ebc20d7dd06f4c0602e4014f1239f.png

The colony celebrates their summer festival. Rootpaw announces to the colony his idea to move the colony to a new island, and they're surprised.
"I think that we can bring a lot to this colony if we go to a new place," Rootpaw suggests. "Who knows what awaits us out of these borders?"
Dusty and Kitro agree, and it's decided by majority that the colony will move.

image.thumb.png.938698c8f898c7a6436b1ab56c264efd.png
(From left to right: Rootpaw, Bearwing, Sunblaze, Kitro, Dusty)

Rootpaw comes to Sunblaze's den later, sitting beside his friend, exasperated. Sunblaze already knows that it's about Bearwing rejecting him.
"I think you're taking it a bit too seriously," says Sunblaze. "You have so much time to find a mate for yourself. Plus, the whole colony wil forget you even asked by the next festival."
"It's not about the colony, I don't care what they think." Rootpaw flicks his tail nervously. "I don't know what she doesn't see in me."
"I think there are other pretty she-cats in front of you," says Sunblaze, looking outside of the doctor's den to his daughter, who is across the clearing. "Dusty would be happy to be with you one day, I think."
Rootpaw sighs, not acknowledging Sunblaze's statement. 
"Look, Rootpaw," begins Sunblaze. "Mate or not, I'm going to need you to take care of Dusty as a friend. I'm not going to the new island."
"What?!" exclaims Rootpaw. "You're going to miss so much! Who knows what we'll see in a new place?!"
"Rootpaw, please. I'm getting old too, like Yew did. I don't want my kittens to see me go too."
Sighing, Rootpaw looks at Sunblaze with a hardened, pouting glance. Sunblaze is not moved.
"Fine," sighs Rootpaw. "If it makes you happy."

• Like 3

CHAPTER 23 - DAY 370 CURRENT SEASON: Fall Year 9
STATUS CHECK
Guard: BEARWING (Pretty brown she-cat)
Arrival: Citizen: DUSTY (Golden she-cat with yellow eyes and a flat face)
Arrival: Citizen: KITRO (Tan tomcat with brown speckles)

DEATHS:

Bearwing also decides she is too old to move to a new island, and it is up to the young Rootpaw, Dusty, and Kitro to make a new life on a new island. Luckily, thanks to the colony's rich food stores, there is enough food to where they can focus on finding new members rather than hunting in new lands.

"Rootpaw, promise you'll take care of them," says Sunblaze, casting his gaze over to Dusty and Kitro.
"I will. I promise," he says, nodding. Rootpaw's eyes are serious for once.

Since Bearwing is the current guard of the colony, Kitro is made the de facto guard to replace her during the move.
"I'm really not comfortable with this," Kitro says, flattening his ears. 
"Come on! What're you, a mouse?" Says Rootpaw with a laugh. "It'll be fine! Don't be scared."
Kitro is not reassured, and feels a pit of dread in his stomach as the colony steps on the stones toward a new island. He remembers when he was young and lost his birth clan on the ocean's unforgiving waves.

The colony finds themselves on a varied, diverse island with many biomes once more (AUTHOR'S NOTE: My apologies, the islands are selected by RNG ^^').
image.png.4909e1b5ea530b0325581051d5dbe6cc.png

The first two seasons on the new island are uneventful, and for the most part
consist of exploring. The fall and winter festivals are celebrated. Dusty, meanwhile, has grown into an adult she-cat.

image.png.e3eaf02a868313baa8f3fd712f0693f9.png
Rootpaw sees this, and remember's Sunblaze's words to him to take care of her. But soon, he finds something else on his paws the day of the winter festival- a pitch-black abandoned kitten, with dark-as-night fur. She isn't old enough to even leave a nest yet, and there are no parents in sight. Shocked, he takes the kitten to Dusty.

"A kitten! And on the day of the winter festival!" marvels Dusty, looking at the tiny kit, her eyes still shut tight. "Must be a gift from the heavens." She closely inspects the kitten, which is miraculously not harmed in any way despite being abandoned. "But who's going to raise her?"
"I will," volunteers Rootpaw. "She'll want for nothing." He looks at her, seeing familiarity in her face. "I'll name her Shadowthorn. She looks just like my mother did, and I want to honor her."
Dusty smiles at the idea. "Shadowthorn. I like it."
Rootpaw takes great interest in caring for the kitten, frequently asking Dusty for advice on how to care for her properly. Dusty is impressed with his sudden dedication to care for something. "Maybe there's more to you than I thought," she jokes to Rootpaw.
"She shows great potential to be a guard, too," says Rootpaw. "Look at those claws."
"I sure hope so," mumbles Kitro. "I'm still not a fan of this whole guard thing..."

The kitten's eyes eventually open, and her personality begins to show- she has no memory of any life before the Tiny Colony, but knows she was taken in by Rootpaw. She is a sassy kitten, with all the fire in her that Rootpaw has.  
image.png.c3de307d69dd33c086aadcc7b96c7782.png

Finally, one day Dusty approaches Rootpaw.
"Rootpaw, I have something to ask of you. I don't know if you'll say yes, but don't feel pressured to."
"Sure," says Rootpaw absentmindedly, eating some berries/
"I would like to become your mate."
Rootpaw stops, looking up at her. He's stunned. He's not sure how he feels about her, but he remembers Sunblaze's words to him.
"Take care of her."
"Yes," he finally says after a moment of silence. "I'll be your mate, Dusty."

The colony celebrates their Spring festival. It dawns upon Dusty that the colony has survived ten years, and he thinks of all that was passed down to him through stories from older clan members when he was just Shadowthorn's age. 
Bold.
Alna.
Shadowslip.
And now him.
The breeze whips through his pelt, and for a moment, it feels like all of the old members of the colony are celebrating with him.
image.thumb.png.3c616509f1b2e275f343a7feee9f5bbf.png

image.png

• Like 3
  • Love 1

CHAPTER 24 - DAY 401 CURRENT SEASON: Summer Year 10
STATUS CHECK
Doctor: Citizen: DUSTY (Golden she-cat with yellow eyes and a flat face)
Guard: KITRO (Tan tomcat with brown speckles)
Arrival: Shadowthorn (Black she-cat with rough, wiry fur)
DEPARTURES:
Guard: BEARWING (Pretty brown she-cat)

Kitro grows into a fully-grown adult.
Shadowthorn grows into a teenager, and one day, Rootpaw approaches her. Rootpaw looks over the kitten he took in seasons ago with pride- she has developed a quick wit and speaks with sarcasm.
"Shadowthorn, I have a job I'd like you to do." He approaches her confidently, and the she-cat looks up at him. "I'd like you to be the guard of this colony. We need a young and strong she-cat."
"I thought Kitro was the guard," replies Shadowthorn, licking her paw.
"He is, but you're already stronger than the rest of us at your age and size. I'm impressed with you," purrs Rootpaw.
"Hmmm... You got a deal," purrs Shadowthorn.

image.png.57a8b83b3fe1d855455d03cef3c85b37.png
(A teen Shadowthorn.)

"I'm glad I don't have to be a guard anymore, but Shadowthorn rubs me the wrong way," comments Kitro to Dusty. Dusty sighs and sorts her herbs.
"She's smart, but her ego is going to get her hurt if she's not careful. Being a guard is a dangerous job."

Shadowthorn is soon to find this out, as a Bearyena attacks the colony on the day of the Summer festival, bringing its young to attack the colony with it. Rootspring is the first to strike, charging at it and biting it with its sharp fangs.
"Now's your chance, Shadowthorn! You're the new guard! Show us what you can do!" Rootpaw yells.
Shadowthorn charges the creature, biting at it. Dusty joins in. Shadowthorn manages to deliver a killing blow on the bearyena before it can hurt anyone. The colony manages to make peace with the young bearyena.
"I'm so proud of you!" laughs Rootpaw, nuzzling his adoptive daughter.

Soon, Dusty announces that she is expecting Rootpaw's kit. Rootpaw is overjoyed. "An heir of my own! I can't wait to show him the colony."

Meanwhile, another new male is joining the colony at the other side of camp. Shadowthorn comes across a ginger tom with a crooked leg.
"And what do you think you're doing on the territory of Tiny Colony?" Says the she-cat confidently, flicking her tail. Shadowthorn feels very proud of defeating a bearyena recently, and feels prepared to take on any cat. The rogue cat looks around her size.
"I'm looking for a colony,," says the male, returning her question with a similar tone of confidence. "Why're you trying to challenge me? You're still an adolescent cat."
"You look the same age as me," challenges Shadowthorn. "I'm the guard of this colony here, so show some respect." She puffs her chest out, her bristly fur blowing in the wind.
"If you're the guard of this colony, I can guarantee you there's nothing I need to worry about," laughs the tom. Frustrated but amused with his jokes, Shadowthorn successfully tackles the male, pinning him down.
"And what's this?" Says Rootpaw, coming from the brush nearby.
"I'm looking for a colony," growls the male from under Shadowthorn. "I'll admit, I'm impressed with your guard."
Rootpaw smiles. "Yes, I've taught her everything she knows. "What's your name, rogue?"
"I'm Brute."
Brute joins the colony, and becomes friends with Shadowthorn. They hold no romantic feelings between them, but enjoy spending time together.
image.png.7ea857b3b0a5634247cf7df46369557f.png

The colony celebrates their fall festival together.

image.png.692dc025b8d47ac9fb010ed2714d91ff.png

• Like 3

CHAPTER 24 - DAY 421 CURRENT SEASON: Winter Year 10
STATUS CHECK
Guard: SHADOWTHORN (Black she-cat with rough, wiry fur)
Citizen: KITRO (Tan tomcat with brown speckles)
Arrival: Citizen: BRUTE (Ginger tom with dark eyes and a crooked left front leg)

Winter begins in the colony, and before the first snow falls, another bearyena confronts the cats of the colony. It takes Brute by surprise, pinning his head to the ground. Terrified, he yowls for help, trying to scramble from the creature's grasp. Shadowthorn rushes forward to save her friend, taking down the creature. She manages to kill it, but it drags her claws down her back before it dies, and she is injured. Dusty takes her to the doctor's den and tends to her wounds.

"Is she going to be alright?" Asks Brute, concerned.
"She will be fine," assures Dusty. "She will be scarred, but she will be able to guard again."
Brute stays with Shadowthorn throughout her recovery, closely watching Dusty work.
"If you want to learn how to help care for these wounds, I can teach you," meows Dusty. Dusty is made Brute's mentor.

Soon after Shadowthorn's injury, Dusty finally has her kitten- a handsome, blond tom.
"I think we should call him Victor," purrs Rootpaw.
Victor is the pride and joy of Dusty, and she keeps the kitten close to her all that she can and gives him all of her love. 
"He's perfect," purrs Dusty. "And he's going to rule the colony one day."
image.png.49dddd9d2b40d5502408143d013773da.png
"I can't wait until he gets older," says Shadowthorn to Brute, talking about Victor. "Rootpaw taught me everything he knew when I was young, and I want to return the favor and teach Victor everything."

The colony celebrates their Winter festival.
image.thumb.png.d53f7ff9af66862f590687dcf9bb0a44.png

Victor's eyes open and his personality begins to emerge- he is an impulsive, friendly kit who never stops talking.

Shadowthorn takes great joy in spending time with Victor, and teaches him to wrestle, sneak, and pounce. He becomes a good fighter, and Dusty doesn't like the fact that Shadowthorn is teaching him fighting at such a young age.
"Shadowthorn's going to put Victor in danger too," hisses DUsty to Kitro. "There's no need for him to know how to fight, let alone at such a young age. She's doing the opposite of wat a guard is supposed to do." She flattens her ears, gazing over at Victor as he sleeps. This disagreement between Shadowthorn and Dusty creates tension between the two of them, but the friendly and slightly absentminded Rootpaw doesn't notice the argument between them.

Brute also grows into a fully-grown adult.

image.png.f1245ad7944d464992b9b78084ae7912.png

image.thumb.png.00b0652a889ee3e13cd874e7f9979f45.png

• Like 3

CHAPTER 25 - DAY 441 CURRENT SEASON: Summer Year 11
STATUS CHECK
Guard: SHADOWTHORN (Black she-cat with rough, wiry fur)
Citizen: BRUTE (Ginger tom with dark eyes and a crooked left front leg)
Arrival: Citizen: VICTOR (Blond tom with dark eyes and sharp fangs)

Dusty announces to the colony that she is pregnant again and will be having another kitten.
"Really?" Kitro asks, surprised that she's having another child so soon after Victor.
"Rootpaw is watching Victor and teaching him about becoming leader," replies Dusty. "I can handle another kitten on my paws.

But the joy is once again short-lived, because a bearyena once again attacks the colony. Brute, Shadowthorn, and Rootpaw come together to fight it, with Shadowthorn leading the attack. They come at the bearyena from different sides, hoping to distract it. The creature, enraged, goes for Shadowthorn, who is facing it head-on. The bearyena grabs her by the front leg, raking a claw down the right side of her face. Rootpaw and Brute come together to take down the creature quickly, but the injuries once again land Shadowthorn in Dusty's care.

"It's worse this time," Dusty explains to Rootpaw. "She's going to take a long time to recover now. She will need to be covered by another guard for a while."
"I'll do it," volunteers Brute, stepping forward. 
"That's very generous of you, Brute," says Dusty. Secretly, Dusty feels a bit of relief that Brute will be guarding the clan and Shadowthorn will be getting Victor into less trouble for a while. What Dusty doesn't realize is that Rootpaw is still childish and carefree, and teaches his son the same things as Shadowthorn taught him.

Shadowthorn, though battered and scarred on her face and back, grows into a full adult she-cat. Her sass and wit is still intact, thankfully.
image.png.d4b8834e71695d46459566d97b3849c7.png

Victor grows into a teen, spending his time talking with Shadowthorn and hunting with her, much to Dusty's dismay.
image.png.21542da11f174cfc1e76b7d19f38a7aa.png

The colony celebrates their Summer festival, and Dusty sets up a nest to give birth once more.
image.thumb.png.5116eac4414be63dd0180b5d75641d2b.png

• Like 3

CHAPTER 25 - DAY 451 CURRENT SEASON: Fall Year 11
STATUS CHECK
Guard: SHADOWTHORN (Black, scar-ridden she-cat with rough, wiry fur)
Arrival: Citizen: VICTOR (Blond tom with dark eyes and sharp fangs)

One day, Rootpaw is taking Victor out through the colony territory.
"One day, it's on you to lead this colony. As leader, you're going to be the first to present your ideas to the colony, and you have to be daring to be able to make them work. I led this colony to a new island by myself when I was younger. It's changes like that one that open up new opportunities for your colony."
While he is explaining, Brute runs up to Rootpaw and Victor. "Rootpaw, it's happening! Dusty is having her kitten!"
"Come on, let's go!" says Rootpaw, encouraging Victor to follow him to the doctor's den.
"Coming!" Victor follows after Rootpaw, trailing behind as fast as he can. They arrive in the doctor's den to find Dusty curled up with a beautiful daughter.
"She looks kind of like me," says Victor, putting his face close to the new kitten's. "What're you guys going to call her?"
"Spark," purrs Rootpaw, taking the kitten and curling up around her. "Isn't she lovely?"
image.png.197f3c4f99b16f4b0ada5a30fb303588.png

Taking the colony by surprise, a bearyena attacks the colony a couple days after the birth of Spark. Victor is the first to see the creature since Shadowthorn is on the other side of the colony territory. He claws the creature, tearing at its side. Brute and Rootpaw hear Victor's yowls in battle and come to help fight the creature.
Shadowthorn charges it, as well. Seeing her clanmates in danger, she tries to distract the creature.
"Hey! Over here!" Shadowthorn yowls. She charges at the creature. Agitated, it singles her out and knocks her on the side of the head with its claws. The already battle-scarred she-cat is knocked back, and the bearyena claws her stomach, gravely wounding her. Victor manages to take the bearyena down, but Shadowthorn is already injured.

Brute isn't educated enough on how to treat such a grave wound, and calls for help from Dusty. Dusty is still recovering from giving birth, but limps out to care for Shadowthorn, leaving Spark in the den.
"She's been gravely wounded too many times to be a guard anymore," says Dusty. "She's sustained battle scars before, but she has to retire or else the severity of this wound will kill her if she's injured again. We can take her back and treat her."

Shadowthorn is taken to the den. But when Dusty returns to her nest, Spark is not there.
"Spark!" Dusty yowls. Rootpaw runs into the doctor's den. Spark is nowhere to be found.
"Spark!" Victor is heard screaming outside, and Rootpaw runs outside. "No!"
A hawk has taken Spark, never to be seen again. Rootpaw yowls in despair. "SPARK!"
The colony not only has an injured guard, but they lost Spark while their backs were turned.

"I can't help but resent her," Dusty says to Kitro. "If I hadn't been pulled from Spark's side to help Shadowthorn, Spark would still be here. I know it's wrong, but... It hurts." 

Shadowthorn is made bitter and cynical from her job being robbed from her. Brute sticks beside her through her recovery, never letting her sharp tongue drive him from his friend's side.
"I don't know who on earth will protect this colony now. I can't guard it. I've been made worthless."
"I'll be the guard for you, Shadowthorn." Shocked, Shadowthorn lifts her head and looks at him.
"You'd do that?"
"It's what you care about most. You can coach me," says Brute. 
"You're the only cat I'd trust to be guard in my place... But you want to be the doctor!" 
Brute smiles. "Being of use to my friend is more important."
Shadowthorn sighs. "Thank you, Brute."

Brute becomes the guard apprentice, and Kitro switches to be Dusty's doctor apprentice.

Solemnly, the colony celebrates the fall festival. Shadowthorn watches the sadness in Rootpaw's eyes since he lost Spark- his jolly predisposition has been robbed from him. It's like he's not the same cat. She prays to heaven to give Rootpaw something, anything to bring his joy back.
image.thumb.png.ad4003500732b88429daa8dd50ac0e15.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

CHAPTER 25 - DAY 461 CURRENT SEASON: Winter Year 11
STATUS CHECK
Leader: VICTOR (Blond tom with dark eyes and sharp fangs)
Guard: SHADOWTHORN (Black, scar-ridden she-cat with rough, wiry fur)
DEATHS

Rootpaw dies of an illness, leaving Victor to take over the colony.
"How are you feeling?" Dusty asks her recently coronated son, gently licking his ear.
"...Empty," he admits. "Dad always talked to me like it would be this great thing, to become leader. But I forgot that part meant losing him."
"But he'd be so proud of you," purrs Dusty. "I know that I am." She smiles.
"And he was so different after losing Spark.." continues Victor. "How did you deal with losing Spark?"
"I put my energy into caring for the cats I still have with me," replies Dusty. "I still get bitter sometimes. But I still have you, and that's what matters."

Another bearyena attacks the colony. It is up to Dusty, Brute and Victor to battle it without Shadowthorn as guard. Brute leads the fight and takes it down without anyone getting hurt.
"That was spectacular, Brute," purrs Shadowthorn. "Not bad for leading your first battle."

The colony celebrates their winter festival, their spirits slowly recovering after the loss of Rootpaw and Spark. Shadowthorn is struggling adapting to being a common citizen, missing her post as guard.
image.png.05a21154ffa458d56e570ed99cd21b8d.png

Brute is patrolling the border one day when he comes across a strange she-cat. she is a deep red color with silver speckles.
"What're you doing on colony territory?" he asks.
"I'm looking for a colony to join," she says, smiling. She doesn't seem to notice his challenging stance. "My name's Rubybeam."
"I'll introduce you to our leader, then," says Brute. 
image.png.a9347f774f35e8285535896483cfd847.png
Rubybeam becomes a member of the colony. She's an awkward cat without much of a filter, but she means well. One day, she approaches Shadowthorn.
"Where'd you get those scars?" she asks curiously. Shadowthorn, who is sunbathing on a rock, looks at her with an eyebrow raised and doesn't answer. "Did you take a fall? Hit by a car Were you in battle?" The she-cat leans forward, interested.
"You think it's appropriate to ask that?" Shadowthorn asks. Her voice is more confused than annoyed.
Rubybeam nods. "I think they're interesting. I've never seen anything like them."
Shadowthorn sighs and sits up. If Rubybeam hasn't gotten the hint by now, she wasn't going to. "I was a fighter," says Shadowthorn. "Rootpaw, Victor's father, took me into the colony when I was young and I was raised to be the colony guard. I faced many battles in my time as guard."
"That's amazing!" Says Rubybeam. "What's the most intense battle you've ever been in?"
"Well..." Shadowthorn begins telling Rubybeam stories. She is admittedly proud to share her experiences as a fighter. The two become friends.

Dusty dies of old age, leaving the colony members in mourning. 
image.thumb.png.b44e0b22f4804284cd4e32cb7f630b88.png

• Like 3