Stray Fawn Community

Sky's Writing Prompts (2.0)

Sky

so I did one of these a SUPER long time ago as well as a few similar topics, so here we are all over again.

Basically, every once in a while (aka when I remember and feel like it) I'll post some sort of writing prompt; you can make a short story, you can incorporate it into a story you're already making, you can make it into the plot of your next New York Times Bestseller, whatever. There's also some challenges you can do in addition if you feel like it. Preferably you would post your work in this topic as a reply to the prompt (and noting any challenges you did) but if you want to keep it secret that's fine! anyway have fun and good luck ❤️

• Eek! 4

Challenges

1. Set a timer for 2, 5, or 10 minutes. Start writing when you set it, and don't stop until it goes off! Only make minimal edits/finishing touches before posting/finishing.
  2. Use the prompts to make multiple stories using the same character(s) and/or setting. For example, you could have a character named Angie who lives in a fantasy world, and you could do a different or continuing story with Angie with each prompt, or perhaps with someone else who lives in the fantasy realm. Make a whole fantasy world through them!
  3. Combine several prompts into one story (you could use prompts that aren't mine in this as well).
  4. Make as short of a story as you can with the prompt given - even as short as a sentence if possible!
  5. Check here each time there's a new prompt, because more challenges may be added! (Feel free to suggest your own ideas!!)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sky said:

Prompt One

Use the following words somewhere in your story (other forms, such as have -> had or horse -> horses, is allowed) - consult your dictionary (website) if needed!

Faded
Spade
Camera

Challenge: Written with a 10-minute timer, finished with 3 minutes to spare.

Adelyn picked up her spade and began to dig. What she was looking for — that thing, that thing that caused all of this — it was here somewhere, in this valley. It was hours before she had real progress. The earth was now littered with holes and loose dirt, and as she started her 27th hole, her camera fell from her belt, rolling away from her and onto an untouched patch of dirt. As Adelyn grabbed it with her grimy hand, she noticed something faded buried beneath the dirt. It was likely just an old rag or moldy newspaper, but her curiosity took ahold of her. She carefully excavated around it, and she saw it. The thing that started it all.

(intended cliffhanger ;) maybe it will have a sequel, maybe not. and prompt words are in bold to show how I used them - you don't have to do that if you don't want!)

• Love 4

1 hour ago, Sky said:

Prompt One

Use the following words somewhere in your story (other forms, such as have -> had or horse -> horses, is allowed) - consult your dictionary (website) if needed!

Faded
Spade
Camera

The cat had faded, no one knew what happened to him. He was resting and then when his owner came back he was gone! 
Amon Gus began looking frantically for his cat, it wasn’t under the couch or behind the spade. He continued walking around his house looking for the missing cat. 

He then saw his camera laying on the floor. Among Gus picked it up and looked at the pictures, his cat had somehow taken pictures with it. Maybe they had some clues…

3 minute writing

• Eek! 1
  • Love 1

(I love these but never have the motivation to do them because of writer's block. Thank you Sky.)

2 hours ago, Sky said:

Prompt One

Faded
Spade
Camera

Alex looked around at the faded wasteland that was once his home. The once beautiful city he had known, famous for its hospitals and hotels, parks and restaurants, was now nothing but a desert of rubble and concrete. He stumbled through the debris, jumping over fallen telephone poles and cement pillars that dug into the ground like spades. He had only been gone for a year. How had this happened? Alex continued down the street, dodging loose wires and uprooted trees. He had to find a clue to what had happened. What could have caused the supposed "indestructible city" that Francis Foley had bragged about to be reduced to nothing but ashes? He had no clue where to start or if he should even be here. For all he knew, the Coladvian's could have sent a nuclear bomb and Alex could be standing knee deep in pure radiation. This is what happens when one man gets control over the news. Nothing gets through. Not even news about an entire city being destroyed. It was a miracle Alex managed to find out about this place from an old high school friend, let alone fight his way through the barbed wire fences and still standing security systems to get inside. He needed answers. But he didn't know where to start. Until he heard a loud crunch sound from under his boot. Alex looked down. What used to be there was what looked like a nice Canon digital camera. What was there now, was a crushed Canon digital camera. Alex scooped up the hunk of destroyed metal, not knowing what he just launched himself into.

(10 minute writing. No clue where I'm going with this but I'll figure it out with the next prompts.)

• Love 3

• 2 weeks later...

Prompt Two

Grab a book - any book you want that is close by - and flip to a random page. Use the first (full) sentence on the page to start your own story. Try to not follow exactly what happens in the original story. (Ex: sentence is "Harry picked up the book." in the original story Harry is a boy who reads the book, but in your own story, Harry is a dog that picks up the book in his mouth to chew it.)

• Eek! 2