Stray Fawn Community

Resources delivery to warehouse and storage

Sagar

I have a weird question, a building generates resources and storage in that building, but how does it move to other buildings.
Do the workers belong to the building to do delivery or do other workers do delivery?

I've seen that worker belong to the building, they just stand there and do nothing.

Even I adjust the priority, I don't see anyone to do the delivery, they just show storage is full and other building show not available.

image.thumb.png.953fe2637b2086006def143bf4f928cc.png

image.thumb.png.eeaac9382aeb131a4e60cb0c060f817f.png

• Like 2

Hi Sagar

Thank you for the question. I'm not 100%sure but I think it works like this:

Buildings employ workers. Those workers can go get resources from other "storages" when they need them. For example a doctor can go to collect herbs from other buildings who have them in their "output" (herbalist, warehouse). But an employed worker does not carry "output" resources to a different building. In this example, a worker from a herbalist does not transport herbs to a doctor. This needs doctors or free workers or people from a worker post. You also need enough free workers available to have those resources transported around.

I'm sorry if this is complicated. We are thinking of a way to improve this and maybe add a priority system to buildings which should help in those cases.

Thanks and cheers,
Markus

• Like 1

Hey Markus!

Humble suggestion here; I think that adding a priority system to buildings would further increase the complexity of the system itself and also micromanagement on the game as a whole..

Maybe you guys could try allowing a worker from a herbalist transport herbs to its main building at first and when its full, the worker would carry the herbs to the nearest available resource depot.

On another train of thought; Is having a limit to storage, a gameplay challenge worth keeping? 

Should the game be more like Age of Empires where there is no limit and the workers carry their produce to the nearest depot

I agree with what you said and think its worth keeping in the game: 

-  workers can go get resources from other "storages" when they need them. For example a doctor can go to collect herbs from other buildings who have them in their "output" (herbalist, warehouse).

Cheers!

:onbu_wink:

• Like 1

Hi zaru

We heard the suggestion of "building priorities" quite a lot and we're investigating it / thinking about it :) 

I think we'll keep the system of having resources in one spot instead of "global" (like Age of Empires), but we will probably add more storages and maybe some other improvements there :) 

Thanks for your comments.

Cheers,
Markus

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, just found this little gem and after playing for some hours decided to explore a bit further and have a look here!

This post brought my attention - and at the risk of mischaracterizing something I have not read about yet and taking it at face value, could even be the same thing we're talking about - I'm not sure about "building priority", but the game would benefit greatly of a Resource Transportation system. Something that will add more complexity to gameplay, but in a very limited scope where it's easy to understand its purpose. More about optimization than absolute functionality, no damaging effects if you decide to not engage with it.

This is not an original, revolutionary idea - for example, have a look at Settlers II and the systems it had:  

image.png.d09fe06bb6262c97cfeeb43f0a6b5924.png

Just to take a small scenario on that picture, you see the metalworks building is missing anvils in order to craft; moving the anvil icon up on the rightmost panel would increase its transportation priority by our carriers/general workers, accelerating the crafting process. This is just an extension of gameplay. The system you see there was not mandatory, had an already pre established order and a button to reset the order to default - nothing is lost from the perspective of a novice player, but adds another small layer of gameplay if you wish to participate.

Just a suggestion, if you'd consider.

However, there is something in the storage system you must add... The system has the option of blocking entry of a resource you specify. But for some reason it doesn't have an option to take that resource out. Let's say I'm farming several things in several farms and I have several warehouses. My kitchen in the eastmost side is going to use the nearest corn (as it should) but the leftover corn on the west most warehouse won't be used until it's needed. This can delay/halt production because of its late priority and long travel time. I would rather be able to move the corn pre-emptively to the nearest warehouse. A bit of a rough on the edges example, I hope it's understandable enough. 

There is also something to say about end game, but I've seen there are some posts already about it. Rather read that feedback first. It's a common issue in games trying to deal with infinite loops: have a look at Frostpunk's Endless Mode scenarios, for example: eventually (and very early, I might add) your finite aspects are reached - technology, food plenitude, etc - and the hurdles initially presented or the big obstacles the game works around, become obsolete. The Endless Mode has - ironically - the most uninteresting end because it can offer nothing more as soon as you  overcome its static nature.  I'll be most curious to see what will be done about to somewhat mitigate it.

Wish you all the best with the development.  I'm sure there is great feedback and great ambitions for this project. While I recognize some improvements or additions would be welcome, I also realized I've sank more hours in than I was expecting! Like I said, this is a little gem here and there's a lot to like.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

As an alternative, perhaps let the player have an overview of what/how much/how long things are awaiting general workers -- ie, what's waiting on transport/building/harvesting, and maybe if it's been waiting for a long time. Then you can see if you need to assign more people as general workers (or to a particular worker post specialty), or if everything is flowing pretty well through the system.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Actually, one of my feedback is based on that, carriers do carry well - but if only I can prioritize them I can save some villagers during poison cloud crises -  I usually put the village doc next to the herbalist, so doctors go in and take harvest ready herbs from the field or from the herbalist building. (Hope it's not a bug)
The great Settlers II  shared above had a system for prioritization but you need to know the game well to use them effectively. Something for prioritizing goods also the buildings served would be golden - when I have 30/40 herbs in Onbu Doctor, carriers or Onbu docs keep taking herbs till it reaches 40/40 - this is sort of killing villagers, they need to be attended to first.
So if we can toggle serve priority of herbs between village doctor / Onbu doctor  - it will be golden.
Just lost a lot due to that (Down to 116 from 133), so built 2nd Herbalist and Village Doctor to keep stocking and helping fellow survivors.
I think if I can stock enough herbs it will be ok, but till than toggling will be great.
Same for specific farms or planted crops may be?