Stray Fawn Community

Help! Niche doesn't open!

Chiyanna

I tried to open up Niche for the first time in months this week and after waiting a few minutes there's no sign of the game actually opening. Usually the application shows up in the task bar within seconds or maybe a minute at most, but now nothing.

Steam shows Niche being open and playing (it said yesterday I played it about 13 minutes, and .1 hour so far this week has been added to my playtime) but it won't open so I can actually play Niche! It updated yesterday, and I thought that might fix the problem, but it hasn't. Unsure if it has something to do with savefiles, (maybe a conflict between the savefiles on my desktop and laptop?), update, or the several times I've tried to open Niche offline and online. 

Been running it today for about 10 minutes, still nothing. I've tried turning off and on my computer, task manager closing steam and Niche, running Niche as administrator, and running Niche in offline and online mode. I don't know if I should take more drastic measures (uninstalling or restoring to a previous version?) or if that would even help. 

• Sad 1

If you don't want to restart, try quitting (not just minimizing) Steam, then checking in Task Manager if you have any stray Steam (or Niche)-related processes still hanging around. If you do, terminate them all. I've had games lock up or fail to start and then something or other not properly close, making everything related not work until I found what was stuck and killed it.

My other guess would be something got set in the graphics settings or other preferences that somehow is making things not start properly now - I had that happen with one of the beta versions and older graphics drivers. So, maybe try deleting the preferences file (back it up first, just in case)?  I...can't remember where it is and am on a tablet so I can't check right now, but it should be in one of the Niche folders like the one storing the gem color and name files. It'll mention stuff like the graphics quality and fullscreen or not. (In my case, I think it was fullscreen that broke stuff.)

Speaking of which, if your graphics drivers need updating, that might be worth trying too once you have an internet connection - definitely restart afterwards, and if you've had trouble before with them breaking when updated it might be worth doing one of those restore previous state snapshot...things Windows has. I don't use Windows and haven't for a long time, so I don't know much about how they work, sorry!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Avokiddo said:

Try to restart the computer 

7 hours ago, Tilly said:

If you don't want to restart, try quitting (not just minimizing) Steam, then checking in Task Manager if you have any stray Steam (or Niche)-related processes still hanging around. If you do, terminate them all. I've had games lock up or fail to start and then something or other not properly close, making everything related not work until I found what was stuck and killed it.

My other guess would be something got set in the graphics settings or other preferences that somehow is making things not start properly now - I had that happen with one of the beta versions and older graphics drivers. So, maybe try deleting the preferences file (back it up first, just in case)?  I...can't remember where it is and am on a tablet so I can't check right now, but it should be in one of the Niche folders like the one storing the gem color and name files. It'll mention stuff like the graphics quality and fullscreen or not. (In my case, I think it was fullscreen that broke stuff.)

Speaking of which, if your graphics drivers need updating, that might be worth trying too once you have an internet connection - definitely restart afterwards, and if you've had trouble before with them breaking when updated it might be worth doing one of those restore previous state snapshot...things Windows has. I don't use Windows and haven't for a long time, so I don't know much about how they work, sorry!

I did end up restarting the computer, and now that I have internet I have opened Niche just fine, today! Thanks both of you for your help and for taking the time to reply to this. I do think it was probably some temp files that restarting got rid of.