Stray Fawn Community

Feedback from adjustable parts.

Lurkily

So much depends on a hinge's orientation.  They're usually controlling really important things - only important things care about facing.  Weapons, thrusters, detectors.

I would LOVE for a hinge to output it's user-configured name and its angle as an output. (Gun5 hinge 270.)  Include a tolerance so that if my tolerance is five, it outputs Gun5 hinge 265 through Gun5 hinge 275.

Hinges, detectors to output exact distance, engines for their specific thrust settings, a lot of blocks with adjustable settings can use this, and it will enable some "If greater then/if less than" logic.

• Like 1

4 replies to this post

It would be awesome to have more flexible and more reliable rotating parts. I hope we can implement many of your ideas and make the existing ones more useful and reliable. I'm not sure how easy it will be because we have to tweak/cheat the physics-engine to make such a thing possible - but I hope we find a good solution for it. Probably needs some time and testing to find a good solution. We definitely have it on our radar :) 

Not to the physics engine, surely.  All I'm talking about are named inputs/outputs.  We have these already.  If you gave the player the ability to name the hinge, and gave an output that was the hinge's name plus angle, you'd be close to what I'm suggesting.

This way, you could have logic that activates with an input of Hinge5 320, activating when the hinge is at a 320 degree angle. (Forty degrees off vertical.)  The 'tolerance' is also an important part of making this a useful change, though.

This suggestion is all logic; unless that's embedded in the physics system somehow, they shouldn't interfere with each other.

• Like 1

Ah you mean to use the tag system to improve the logic by dynamically adding parameters at the end of an evemt which then can be analyzed by the input nodes.

I'm not quite sure if I like this (assuming I understood it correctly)  But its an interesting idea for sure.

Not sure what you mean by an event, in this context.  But, in short, a hinge will be capable of 360 outputs - HingeX 0 throught HingeX 360.  HingeX would be a name assigned by the player (Probably with a default of hinge1, hinge2, though they needn't be unique) and one or more of those outputs would always be active based on the hinge's position.

This wouldn't be something the player had to configure as an output - more like an inherent property of the hinge. (Though you could require the player to activate it, if too many parts like this cause problems.) 

It would enable things like rotating a hinge until it meets a certain angle, without making it necessary to absolutely forbid the hinge from turning beyond that angle.