Stray Fawn Community

The Deadly Isle

Stranger

20230807172032_1.thumb.jpg.3daaf9dc1364d1f34b982c957449aef4.jpg

‘Come ooooon Kenny! The water is calm, and It’ll only be a quick adventure, just to that island!’ Alia was prancing around Kendyll, loudly pleading with him. ‘I’ll be really really really good, I promise!’ Kendyll sighed, his eyes darting to the island not so far away. He knew all too well that if he refused to go, Alia would find some way to go by herself, and that was much too dangerous.

‘...Fine.’ He grunted. His face barely betraying any emotion. His sister was quite the opposite. She bounded to him and gave him a big hug, before skipping towards the beach, jumping so high it looked as if her ears touched the clouds.

‘Thank you so so so so much! You’re the best Kenny! The bestest!’ She ran for the water and threw herself in. Kendyll’s heart jumped as she sank under the waves, but he relaxed again as he saw her orange fur pop back up again. He trotted towards the water, and stuck his paw in. A small grimace crossed his face. He didn’t hate the water, but after his ordeal with the storm, he much preferred dry land. Alia looked back at him, and swam back to the shore. ‘The water’s calm. There’s no storm, see?’ Alia pointed at the sky as she attempted to cheer her brother up.

‘I know that.’ Kendyll’s face was placid again. ‘I’m not scared.’ Alia knew her brother well though, and underneath that strict, rule-following demeanour he had, he still was a little scared. She held out her paw for him as he got into the water and paddled furiously, and he took it, as both of them paddled to the opposite shore. 

~

‘Kenny!? Ali!?’ Meda desperately called. Her paws were tired from searching, but her heart still beat as frantically as it had when she realised she hadn’t seen her kids for a while. Shee came up behind her, wearing the same tired and worried expression she had. 

‘Maybe we should ask the rest of the tribe for help. They’ll help us, like they did when Kendyll got lost in the storm.’ Shee tried to comfort his mate. They’d been searching for a while, but the sun was still high. They still had time.

‘Maybe you’re right.’ Meda whispered. Tears pricked at her eyes. This was the second time something like this had happened. What if they were seriously hurt? What if they were drowned or eaten or were lying in a ditch, waiting for someone to save them? What kind of mother was she, letting her children run off and get hurt? Shee noticed her tears and gently asked her if she’s alright. ‘I think Lilit might have been right.’ Andromeda said softly. ‘When Lilit said we were too young for kits, I think she was right.’ Shee’s eyes widened, but he didn’t get angry. He hugged her gently, and guided her back.

‘I don’t think that. But we'll talk when we find the kids. Let’s get the others to help.’ Meda nodded, and followed him back to the camp.

20230807172117_1.thumb.jpg.950f7d302ab469d0ded4a3a55c7ff39d.jpg

~

Neoki stood in a small clearing, oblivious to the two parents' distress. She was holding a huge bundle of roots, and she had to bury her face in the pile so it didn’t topple over. One of her back paws was propped up at an odd angle on one of the many dirt piles littering the clearing. A cheerful whistle broke the silence every so often. Everytime it stopped, Neoki felt the pile in her paws growing heavier as another root was placed on top. 

Neoki wanted to say: ‘Are we almost done Cabi? My paws are getting a bit tired, and I think we have enough.’ But what came out of her mouth, muffled by the roots, sounded like this: ‘mmmf prhfmm? phrfmmfrmmmn nmfhrp.’ Cabi trotted over, another root in her mouth, and she couldn't help but giggle at how Neoki looked.

‘Sorry, didn’t hear you. You can put the roots down now though!’ Cabi grinned, as she sat for a well deserved rest. Neoki breathed a sigh of relief as she let the roots fall. Her eyes grew wide as she took in the clearing.

‘Cabi, what in the world did you do to the clearing?’ She joked as she sat down. Both of them plucked a root from the pile and chewed on it. 

‘What I do best!’ Cabi looked around. The clearing was silent as the snacked a bit, leaving most of it for the tribe. A thought popped into Neoki’s head.

‘If you don’t mind me asking, were you part of any tribe before? Because if you were, I don’t why they would ever let you leave, you’re so helpful!’ Neoki smiled. 

‘I don’t mind. I used to live in another tribe, and It was great there, I even had a sister. But one day my sister was murdered, and I never really found out why. I think the murderer wanted her position in the tribe, she was pretty important. The culprit was found, a creature named Halim, and they exiled him. But I couldn’t stand staying there after what happened to my sister, so I left.’ Cabi said quietly.

‘Oh I, I’m sorry.’ Neoki said, her eyes downcast.

‘Don’t be. What’s happened has happened and what's important is that I’m happy where I am now. And I can only hope my sister is too.’ Cabi smiled. It seemed nothing could bring her down. Neoki nodded and the two headed home with their feast. However, Neoki couldn’t help but feel a pit open in her stomach. The situation sounded all too similar to what happened to Randi, except the tables were turned. It was her brother who was the murderer.

20230807172821_1.thumb.jpg.b9a7d0b6e20be72ac84c60c12b9d7335.jpg

~

20230807171817_1.thumb.jpg.d9eb8c1b828a71216f4fec378ddcacb2.jpg

Randi looked up at the huge bearyena in front of him and cursed. Not again. And he ran, like he always did. And he slipped away, like he always did. Wait. Not this time. It catches him this time, he sees It’s slavering teeth, It’s sharp claws, his end. He runs, but he’s not fast enough 

Runs

Not fast

Enough

End

His

End

Randi yelps loudly as a butterfly lands on his nose, waking him from his nightmare. He snarls and swats at it as it flies away. The dawn sky is clear and cold, and Randi watches the sun rise slowly. No bearyena. He was safe. He repeated in his head over and over, before he realised he was talking out loud. He resorted to just walking around and warming his paws. A dark shadow slunk in the grass nearby. It watched him, bright violet eyes, cold, calculating. Just as Randi was blinking the sleep out of his eyes, the shape leaped out at him. Randi was bowled over, and he could just about see the glint of daylight on the creature’s claws. But he wasn’t going down that easily. He threw the creature off him and slashed at their belly, but missed as they leapt away. They jumped at him again, but this time he was ready. But Randi was still cold and hungry and tired and weak. The creature had no problem in overpowering him. In one last effort, Randi leapt at his attacker, but they just dodged and he ended up sprawled on the dirt. He flinched, waiting for the killing blow, but all he heard was a high-pitched kind of laughing.

‘Are you kidding me? That was pathetic!’ The creature laughed. Randi got up and looked at them. He was a pitch black creature, with two sharp antlers and bright violet eyes. He was much taller than Randi, but he was just as slim, though it did look like he was like that naturally, instead of not getting enough food. Randi snarled and swiped at him, but leaned too far and fell again. The laughing got louder. ‘Okay. That was even worse!’

‘What do you even want!?’ Spat Randi. He had enough. He was chased, attacked, starved, hunted, and here was this creature calling him pathetic.

‘Hey, calm down. I was just testing you.’ The creature stopped laughing, and smiled. It was  a lazy kind of grin that didn’t reach his eyes. ‘I haven’t met a single good fighter out here. All things considered, you weren't that bad. And, uh, you can stop twitching now.’ 

‘I’m not-’ Randi pawed at his face, and realised that his left eye actually was twitching. He angrily pressed a paw against it and sat down. ‘I’m sure you got a kick out of beating me up then.’ The creature shrugged and sat down. ‘Who even are you?’ 

‘You first.’ The creature smiled again. 

‘Randi.’ Was all Randi said. He put his paw down, and though he didn’t show it, he was glad at finally seeing and talking to someone. It had been a while. The creatures violet eyes glittered as introduced himself.

‘Call me Halim.’

20230807173229_1.thumb.jpg.f02cbde60de01c4c80d8b2119987a052.jpg

20230807173253_1.thumb.jpg.330ee028fcc950b54829626e97e2a3c7.jpg

• Eek! 4

‘There. Nothing here. Happy now?’ Kendyll muttered, batting yet another swamp fly out of his face. There was way too much of these things here.

‘It’s not nothing Kenny.’ Alia frowned. ‘There’s a coconut! And some-’ Alia’s eyes widened and she screamed at the top of her lungs, scrambling to hide behind her brother. Kendyll immediately stood in front of her, ready to fight whatever it was. When nothing jumped out at them, Kendyll turned to his sister. She was shivering, terrified. So unlike herself. 

‘Alia?’ He asked gently.

‘Over there.’ Came the mumbled reply. She pointed and refused to come any closer. Kendyll sighed and hugged her, before moving forward himself. He expected many things, a bearyena, another nicheling, a dead bird. What he didn’t expect was a pile of creature skeletons at the base of a tall stone pillar. His stomach turned and he felt his mouth turn dry. The skeletons were all piled onto each other. It looked horrific, and Kendyll could feel his breathing speed up. How could this happen? Who were they? He inched closer, ears flat against his head. He got close enough to see there were weird symbols on the pillar. It looked a bit like a creature surrounded by a lot of white stuff. A bearyena-like thing was attacking the creature, blood on its claws. The thing was white and blue. Underneath the drawing was a circle with a star inside it, and a line going across the symbol. Kendyll wracked his brain for what it meant, but he heard a sound behind him. He turned around and saw Alia, she must have followed him. 

‘It’s alright. Nothing here can hurt you.’ Kendyll tried to comfort his little sister, but his voice shook. It’s true, nothing could hurt them, but that didn’t make this situation any less horrible. Alia squeaked and ran to her brother, hiding behind him again. She peeked out and looked at the symbols. 

‘Mama told us what that one meant. Remember?’ She said quietly, pointing at the bottom circle symbol.

‘It must have slipped my mind.’ Kendyll said, slightly embarrassed his sister remembered something he didn’t. 

‘It means danger.’ Alia whispered. Kendyll would have laughed if he wasn’t so frightened. Obviously. 

‘Let’s just go. Maybe we can tell the others about this.’ Kendyll said as calmly as he could, to which Alia just nodded. They left as quickly as possible, leaving behind the small beach with the skeletons.

20230807172550_1.thumb.jpg.a840c9785baa720a67c47c0061199a58.jpg

~

20230807172511_1.thumb.jpg.f24d23582cb30fe61486fa1fb536215c.jpg

Meda and Shee were walking back to camp, to get others to help them find their kids. They were oblivious to what trailed behind them, its black eyes alight with hunger. Pawsteps that went unheard, glimpses of the bearyena that went unseen, the dirty stink of unwashed fur went unnoticed. Worry blinded creatures to many things. It leapt at Andromeda, its claws raking across her side. She screamed and whipped around, hitting it across the face, but it didn’t back down. Shee bit its neck but it threw him off, going for Meda again. And Andromeda wasn’t quick enough this time, and her life was ended with a snap of the monsters jaws. Shee jumped onto the bearyena from behind and held on tight to its neck. It couldn’t reach him, and after a few minutes it died. He jumped down and went to his mate’s body, already growing cold. Some part of him didn’t want to believe it, but it was true. She was dead.

20230807172721_1.thumb.jpg.28a64d88d775309715e25b267c737222.jpg

~

‘Mum?’ 

‘Yes love?’

‘I’m bored.’

‘I know love. You’ve told me.’

‘But I am!’ Calypso turned to face her mother. Mira looked back at her daughter calmly. ‘All I do is crack nuts all day! My entire life revolves around this tree!’ Calypso angrily pointed at the nut tree. The fact that Mira never got angry, just made Calypso more irritated.

‘The tribe needs food.’ Mira said, cracking another nut.

‘It has food! King hunts, Fess picks berries, Cabi digs roost, Cane fishes, We have food! And Neoki is always telling us we can take breaks and do other stuff, but you always say no!’ Calypso sat down in a huff, and didn’t pick up another nut. It wasn’t fair! Alia and Kendyll barely ever did anything, even though Kendyll wanted to. That's what they should do, they should give their work to Kendyll.

‘Everyone needs to do their part in the tribe. I’m not doing this to be cruel, I’m doing this so you don’t learn to slack off.’ Mira levelled her daughter with a stern gaze.

‘Resting isn’t slacking off! This isn’t your old island, where if everyone didn’t work then everyone would starve. There's lots of food here, and I want to do something other than crack nuts!’ Mira’s face did not change. Fine then. Calypso would try something else. ‘What about Tor then? He doesn’t work.’ Mira looked caught off guard for a moment.

‘Tor…he hunts.’ Mira looked down at the nuts. To hide her doubt, obviously.

‘You just say that because you like to think he does. All he does is laze around all day, and neither you nor father can get him to work. So instead you make me work! And he gets to rest!’ Calypso huffed.

‘Calypso!’ Mira finally snapped. Calypso flinched and quieted down. She had never seen her mother angry. Perhaps she had gone too far. Mira sighed and looked at the nut.

‘If you want it so badly then go.’ Calypso looked up, wide-eyed. ‘I want you back here by nightfall.’ 

‘Sorry mum, I didn’t mean to make you sa-’ Calypso started explaining, but Mira interrupted her.

‘That wasn’t a suggestion. Just go.’ Mira turned away and went back to work. She swayed a bit on her paws, probably from the headaches she had. She always had a headache these days. Calypso wondered guiltily if it was because of her. But she wasn’t so guilty as to pass up a chance at freedom, even if it was only for a day. She slunk away, and her last image of her mother was Mira working, her back turned.

20230807172223_1.thumb.jpg.aef26b0a24ee1eacf4c33e90afcaf05f.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

The day was bright and calm. There wasn’t a single cloud in the sky, and yet Alia still couldn’t shake the feeling that something very bad would happen, and soon. Kenny walked in front of her, occasionally looking back to check on her. It must have been the skeletons, they just scared her, that’s all. Kenny spoke up at that moment, as if reading her mind.

‘We’re almost home. We can tell Mother and Father about the skeletons, and then forget about it, okay?’ Kenny said reassuringly. Alia only nodded, and pressed closer to him, having to take two little steps for every big step he took. Suddenly, Kenny stiffened, and before Alia could open her mouth to ask why, he clapped a paw over her eyes. 

‘Kenny!’ She angrily protested, trying to squirm out of his grip. ‘What is it!?’ Alia could hear muffled sobs, and realised that it was Da. Why was he crying? Was something wrong?

‘Father?’ Kenny’s voice trembled as he spoke. Alia frowned. That couldn’t be right, her brother was almost never scared. She attempted to shove his paw away from her eyes again, but he just held her tighter. There was no sound for a moment, and Alia suddenly wondered if Da was hurt, and that’s why he was crying.

‘Da, are you hurt? We can help! Or Mom can help!’ Alia paused. ’Where’s Mom?’

‘She’s gone.’ She had never heard her Da so grief-filled. What did he mean by gone? She made to move over to his voice, but Kenny pulled her back. Anger seeped into her Da’s voice. ‘And it’s your fault. If you two hadn’t run off like that, this wouldn’t have happened. She’d still be here.’

‘Father we didn’t-’ Kenny tried to speak, but Da interrupted him, his voice filled with a rage and grief he didn’t know where to put, so he lashed out at whoever was closest.

‘Just go back to the camp. I can’t bear to look at either of you.’ His voice was so bitter. So cold. Alia had no clue what was going on, only that everyone seemed upset for some reason, and Mom had run away. 

‘Kenny?’ She whispered, but it came out more as a whimper. Kenny still had his paw over her eyes as he guided her away from where she heard Da was.

‘Let’s just do what Father says, alright?’ He said quietly, as he finally took his paw off her eyes.

‘Where’s Mom?’ Alia asked, still not fully understanding. Kenny turned away from her, his voice suddenly husky.

‘I’ll tell you when we get back, okay?’ Alia nodded and kept up with him, as they finally reached camp.

20230807173321_1.thumb.jpg.fce61aef2aa6b936685a0db669976cd3.jpg

~

20230807173356_1.thumb.jpg.63640b43325b4b46884d0eab39ce2420.jpg

‘Go! Run!’ Neoki yelled as her tired legs finally slowed after less than a minute's run. She collapsed against a large rock and panted, feeling as if her limbs were about to drop off.

‘I’m not leaving you! Cabi said fiercely, moving to protect Neoki from the two bearyena chasing them. One older, one younger, like the cornered creatures. Neoki’s eyes flicked around. They were done for. Neoki was much too weak to fight, and Cabi couldn’t take those monsters on her own. Both of them swivelled as the growl of the bearyena filled the forest around them. They moved slowly and silently, closing in on their prey. Think Neoki. Think! The older bearyena had a barely noticeable limp in it’s front paw. Her and Cabi were sheltered by the rock. There was an old rotting branch nearby. The fast flowing stream that led out to sea.

‘When i say go, grab that branch and throw it at the older bearyenas front paws. Then go for the younger bearyena, but just distract it.’ Neoki whispered. Cabi’s eyes filled with confusion, but she nodded. Neoki watched the steps of the bearyena, the slight shift of it’s weight as it readied to pounce. ‘Go!’ She screamed, the yell catching the bearyena off guard, giving Cabi just enough time to throw the branch at its paws, and it pounced at that moment, tripping over the branch. Neoki pulled Cabi away just as the bearyena fell against the rock that was behind them, cracking its head. It didn’t move again. The younger bearyena roared, but Cabi was already circling it, confusing it. Neoki used all the strength she had in her as she tore fur off her own pelt, flinching with pain as she felt it tear. 

‘Neoki! Now or never!’ Cabi cried, her movements becoming slower as she got tired. 

‘Go Cabi! Run!’ Neoki yelled again, but this time she had a plan. Which would work. Hopefully. Cabi looked back at Neoki, but when she saw the purpose blazing in her leader’s eyes, she nodded and bolted away. The bearyena was also tired, so instead of following, it immediately turned to Neoki. But she was already out of sight. The bearyena sniffed the air and followed her scent, it ended right at the edge of the stream. Some bright red fur was snagged on a branch. Had its meal thrown itself into the stream to escape? Just then, a mighty roar sounded, and the younger, smaller bearyena wasn’t expecting the push that came from behind. It yelped and scrambled, but it was too late, and the bearyena was swept away by the fast flowing current. Neoki flopped down on the bank, panting. A small smile lit up her face though. She was alive! She groaned as she stood up, barely able to walk with the way her muscles burned in pain. But she was alive. She heard pawsteps as she saw Cabi approach. Of course Cabi had come back. Neoki didn’t hide her smile, and she hugged her friend as she explained what had happened. 

20230807173636_1.thumb.jpg.8dc5a91977d88897a09633f44d6644f5.jpg

~

Halim listened to the early morning rustle of the forest as he walked. About a minute ahead of him, a family of three walked and talked, oblivious to his presence. And right beside him, Randi kept pace. Halim watched the creature out of the corner of his eye. Randi was short and thin, someone might think him frail. But Randi was far from that, The burning hate and purpose in his eyes were so bright, it would have made anyone afraid. Except Halim. 

‘Are you going to finally tell me why we’re following them, or do I just have to figure that out myself? And shouldn’t we stop for a moment? We’ve been walking all morning.’ Halim hummed as he walked. 

‘When they stop, we stop.’ Randi grunted. He turned to Halim. ‘No one said you had to come.’

‘But you’re such an interesting creature!’ Halim smiled, with just enough sarcasm dripping from his voice to make Randi shoot a glare at him. Halim shrugged. ‘Let’s just say, I like excitement, and that’s not something I can get out by myself in the wilderness.’

‘Suit yourself.’ Randi said gruffly, before going back to ignoring Halim. There was something about him that Halim couldn’t place. If he had to guess, it seemed Randi just hated company. Or maybe Randi just hated him. Regardless.

Finally, the family in front of them stopped. Halim found a nice vantage point hidden in a bush and flopped down. Randi rigidly sat down, glaring daggers at them from behind a rock. He was actually looking at one specific creature, the one with the sharp, fluffy, cream-coloured pelt.

‘At this point you’re going to kill them by just staring at them.’ Halim said dryly. Randi scoffed but looked away, knowing they would feel his eyes on them. 

‘If only.’ Randi muttered. Halim’s eyebrows rose, but more with surprise than shock or horror.

‘You want them dead?’ He mused. They looked like an ordinary family. Randi paused before answering.

‘Just the spiky furred one. His name is Cane. The other two can live.’ Randi still clearly remembered the day he was exiled. The looks on everyone's faces. If they wanted him gone or not. He would get rid of everyone who wanted him gone. Especially Kendyll. That meddling rule follower, if it wasn’t for him, maybe Randi could have stayed with the tribe. Happy, safe, with his family. In a place where there wasn’t something always trying to kill him. Randi gritted his teeth. He still remembered exactly how it had felt to kill Deat, and he wasn’t afraid to do it again. He wasn’t. He wasn’t. 

‘Randi?’ Halims voice snapped Randi back to reality. 

‘No one is asking you to stick around.’ Randi repeated. He hated that a small part of him wanted Halim to stay. He could be annoying at times, but there was no judgement in his eyes when Randi spoke about terrible things like murder. 

‘I don’t need permission to stick around.’ Halim grinned. Randi bit his cheek to stop himself from smiling. Halim was crazy. And maybe Randi was crazy too. ‘Besides, there’s nothing wrong with wanting revenge. That’s what I assume you want, right?’ Randi nodded. ‘Oh and by the way, when you were staring off into space, they got up and walked off.’

Randi cursed under his breath as he looked and realised the three weren't there. He took one long look at Halim.

‘Can I trust you?’ 

‘I think I’ll just have to prove it to you, won’t I? Trust me, anythings better than wandering this island on your own. We both know that.’ Halim’s voice was serious, for once.

‘Then let’s go.’

20230807173848_1.thumb.jpg.fc57545702826faf51a4adb7f2e65827.jpg

• Like 3

(WHY AM I WRITING A MURDER PLOT WITH NICHELINGS. THEYRE NICHELINGS. DO I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO.

also everyone is dying right and left, what do i do i dont want this playthrough just to be tragic death scenes like bruh)

• Love 1

(I’ll be leaving on holidays for two weeks, so this is the last update until then)

Shee finally stood up. It had been a few hours since Meda was killed, and yet it still felt like it had happened only a few seconds ago. He had buried her, and his entire self ached with the fact he would never see her again. And it was all because of Kendyll and Alia. If they hadn’t gone looking for them, this wouldn’t have happened. Shee tried to stay angry at them, but another feeling wormed into his heart. Shame. He shouldn’t have said that to them, and he knew it. It wasn’t their fault, if anything it was Shee’s for not killing the bearyena quick enough. Shee angrily clawed at the dirt, full of rage at himself. How could he have said that to his children? He looked at the path the two had taken back to the tribe, and he decided to follow them. Meda wouldn’t have wanted him to linger here, and she wouldn’t have done that either. Stars glinted above him, the sky as clear as could be. Moonlight glowed onto the grass as he walked, but Shee could not find it beautiful. All he could feel was an empty hole in his heart, and worry for his children was making the hole bigger. 

20230807174051_1.thumb.jpg.b9555a0504ae7a516b6cc6e9b8ae9bc3.jpg

~

20230807173945_1.thumb.jpg.0855aae0eb6124730b7034803b4a0f80.jpg

Fess curled tight around her kit, growling protectively as she heard the sounds of a battle rage around her. She knew King was nearby, protecting them both, but not being able to see anything just added a new layer of fear. She heard Cabi cry out in pain. That didn’t sound good. Aksit whimpered beside her. Her kit, her little Aksit. She would die before she let anything happen to him. The mighty roar of the bearyena interrupted her thoughts. The sound claws tearing at flesh, and the muffled thump of someone falling to the ground. 

‘Cabi!’ Neoki wailed. 

Someone was running quickly. A scuffle of claws on the ground, and then another thump. Then it was quiet. 

‘King? Neoki? Cabi?’ Fess said, still defensive, but she couldn’t hear the heavy pawsteps of the bearyena, so her tribe must have won.

‘Fess. Are you hurt?’ King panted, walking up to her. She frowned as she noticed he had no pride or bravado in his voice. He always liked to show off after winning a battle.

‘I’m not. What happened to Cabi?’ Fess asked, though she felt she already knew the answer. Aksit whimpered again, and Fess realized with a streak of guilt that he could see everything now that Fess wasn’t covering him. She gently pulled him closer with her tail, and he snuggled up to her, away from whatever had happened to Cabi. ‘I’m sorry, Neoki.’ Fess whispered gently. When Neoki responded, it sounded like she was fighting hard to keep her voice strong.

‘...It’s much too dangerous here. This is the third bearyena attack just in this area. There must be a nest or something nearby. We can’t stay.’ Neoki said, her voice trembling just a little bit. The bearyena had gone for Neoki, not Cabi. But it was her friend who had taken the blow, who had given her life for Neoki. ‘Call everyone to this tree stump, if you could, King. I’ll go bury Cabi.’

‘I’ll help.’ Fess got up. She didn’t know Cabi that well, but she cared for Neoki. This would be hard for her.

‘Of course.’ King nodded. ‘I’ll take Aksit.’ Fess gave him a hug and thanked him, before walking towards the sound of Neoki’s voice. The two of them lifted Cabi up to find a place to bury her, and walked in silence.

20230807173955_1(1).thumb.jpg.ec3db7cad9ca704f0d79a55126410310.jpg

~

20230807173713_1.thumb.jpg.f8f74f19edfff09dcb54612daba49602.jpg

Kendyll pushed through the last of the bushes as he and Alia finally reached the middle of camp. He had told Alia that Mother was dead in the most gentle way possible, but it seemed like she wouldn’t believe him. She stuck to her idea that Meda was only gone for a moment, and that she’d come back soon. Kendyll let her think that. The sound of talking interrupted his thoughts. Alia’s ears perked up.

‘Maybe it’s Mom!’ She smiled, bouncing forward. Kendyll frowned. The voices sounded quite young, and the only other kids in the tribe were Tor and Calypso, but they usually stayed near the tree.

‘Now what?’ Tor asked quietly as he stared at his paws. Calypso stood beside him, staring at the tree from afar. Neither of them could bear to stay there anymore. Mom had gotten badly sick while Calypso was away, and while Dad tried to help her, he got sick as well. They were both gone by the time Calypso came back. It was only a day she was gone. Guilt gnawed at her insides. She hadn’t been there for them, she had been away doing whatever she wanted.

‘I dunno.’ Calypso muttered. ‘I guess we could go and ask Neoki what to do.’ Neoki had offered for the two to stay with her for a while, but both Tor and Calypso wanted to be alone. Being alone didn’t really work out well for them.

‘I guess.’ Tor shuffled. The solemn silence between them was broken quickly, when a cheerful voice squeaked at them.

‘Tor! Calypso! I haven’t seen you in aaaaages!’ Alia excitedly jumped at them, circling them as she babbled about her and Kendyll’s adventure. She frowned slightly as she spoke about how her Da was mad for some reason, but he would be back at camp too, soon.

‘Alia, it’s nice to see you.’ Calypso managed a smile as she touched noses with Alia. Tor said nothing. Him and Alia were very close in age, but Tor didn’t really like her because of how loud she was. Kendyll walked out of the grass right behind Alia, and nodded hello. Calypso nodded back. 

‘Are you guys heading to camp?’ Tor asked. For once, Tor had had a good idea.

‘We could go together if you want?’ Calypso asked the two. Tor frowned at her, so that probably wasn’t the idea he was going for. 

‘Sure.’ Kendyll said quietly. He looked around and realized Mira and Lupo were nowhere to be seen , and raised a questioning eyebrow at them. Calypso explained very quickly not wanting to dwell on the fact her parents were dead. The four of them started walking to camp, but then noticed King running towards them. A small white kit was on his back, squealing with delight, obviously enjoying the ride. 

‘Kids, Neoki is calling a meeting. You should go to camp.’

‘That's what we were doing.’ Tor replied with irritation in his voice. Calypso rolled her eyes at Tor. Everything was an inconvenience for him.

‘We’ll be there.’ Calypso said. King nodded and looked around.

‘And Andromeda and Shee?’ King asked. Kendyll frowned.

‘Father is out there, maybe a few hours behind us, and Mother…is not here.’ King frowned, pity filling his eyes.

‘I’m sorry. Though we can’t wait for Shee, we’ll catch him up once he gets here.’ The five of them moved back to camp.

And as the sun set, Neoki called out to the tribe that it was too dangerous here, and they would move to a new camp. And they all agreed, but all for different reasons.

20230807174058_1(1).thumb.jpg.47f801dfb5a9f188fd50b26f8763427b.jpg

20230807173649_1 (1).jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/15/2023 at 6:27 PM, YourLocalStranger said:

(you know, I'm gonna read through my earlier posts, I wanna know if theyre cringe or not) 

They were cringe up until pg 3 😭

Also, sorry for the break, returning to school made it a bit longer, but I'm back now and should update today! 

• Sad 1
  • Paw up 1

(pretend I posted this on Monday)

Night was falling. Moonlight coated the island with a silvery blue, painting Cheri’s fur a light purple colour. She looked back once again. And once again, Shee had not arrived. Neoki already had the tribe on the move, and Shee would be left behind if he didn’t come soon. Cheri had never really had a close bond with Shee, but he was Meda’s mate, and after hearing what had happened to her poor little sister, she couldn’t just leave Shee there. She called out to Neoki.

‘Neoki, I need to go look for Shee. I’ll be right back, okay?’ Cheri looked back at the grasses. She heard Neoki’s pawsteps trotting towards her. She had a frown on her face.

‘Cheri, It’s dark, and late. At least take someone with you.’ 

‘It’ll be quicker this way. Please, Neoki.’ Cheri whispered to the leader. Neoki was still for a moment, before sighing and nodding her head.

‘Be quick about it.’ 

Cheri nodded and sped off into the grasses. From what Kendyll and Alia had told her, she had a rough idea as to where he was. She didn’t see the dark and red fur trailing behind her, pawsteps silent as a rabbil.

20230903192018_1.thumb.jpg.17056c235274adb0785103935997ae90.jpg

~

(earlier) 

‘Do you even have a plan?’

‘Kind of.’

‘You’re a genius, you know?’

‘Shaddup.’ Randi growled, though he wasn’t genuinely mad at Halim. He did have a point. All Randi had was the memory of him being exiled. And of the creatures who wanted him gone. He remembered exactly who supported Kendyll, and who opposed him. He knew exactly who to get rid of. The problem was how. 

‘Night’s coming.’ Halim looked up at the sky, trying to patch up the small awkward silence that had grown. Randi shook his head a bit. He hadn’t even realised he’d spaced out. 

‘Easier for us then.’ Randi peered through the fog that had grown around the river. Stupid fog. They had been following the tribe for days, but no one had gone out alone, no one had done anything remotely dangerous. How am I supposed to get revenge like this? 

A flash of pink interrupted his thoughts. He looked to Halim, and they both gave each other a quick nod, diving into a nearby bush. Randi immediately recognized her. Cheri. She was the one who supported Kendyll the loudest, worry in her eyes as she looked down at her unborn child. She was a fool. What did she think he would do, randomly decide to hurt a random kid? Cheri was milling about, then she called out something, though he couldn’t hear her.

‘That's who we’re going for?’ Halim muttered.

‘Yeah.’ Randi whispered back, just as another figure appeared. He had to squint through the night to see them… 

‘She looks like you.’ Halim’s offhand comment made Randi’s blood run cold. Halim seemed to finally understand, and his eyes widened a bit. ‘Wait, that’s your sister?’

‘Let’s just go.’ Randi spat, getting up just as Cheri left the clearing. Seeing Neoki again after all this time brought up so many mixed feelings. She had changed so much. He probably had as well. He wanted to run to her, to say he was back, but the other half of him needed to deal with everything else first. He knew she would never forgive him for any of this, but it was like just seeing her was good enough for now. His sister. The sister that would hate him, once all this was done.

Halim ran after Cheri, Randi close behind. The moon was high.

~

Shee ran through the night, his paws aching. He didn’t think it was so late, and the tribe wasn’t in its usual spot. He followed the trail of his tribemates, a couple of hours old. Before he could look down again, a flash of dark fur blocked his vision just as he collided head first with another creature. It gave a yelp of pain as it hit the floor, and Shee winced as he felt his own face connect with a particularly hard patch of ground. He stood up almost immediately assessing the threat, but the thin creature looked about as threatening as a rabbil. Shee peered through the fog to get a good look at it. It was funny how the fog was so thick, and night was getting so dark that Shee could almost see nothing. All he saw was the silhouette of a dark creature, almost like a shadow.

‘Sorry friend! Didn’t see you there.’ The stranger said. Something about his voice was wrong, as if he knew that Shee was going to be here. He brushed it off as nothing. 

‘Sorry as well, but I need to go now.’ Shee tried to say as politely as possible, knowing his tribe could be getting further away by the minute.

‘You probably shouldn’t.’ The shadow stepped forward. Shee stood his ground.

‘I’m going.’ Shee said again, pushing past the shadow. It didn’t like that, apparently, as Shee found himself thrown back onto the ground, getting a mouthful of dirt. ‘What’s your problem!?’ Shee hissed, quickly getting back up. 

20230903192042_1.thumb.jpg.6b15b93eb528a404eaf62861ba9b9e92.jpg

‘Just wait here.’ The shadow replied. It didn’t seem angry, it seemed like it was enjoying itself. Suddenly, a scream pierced through the night air. Shee’s fur stood on end as he realised he recognized that voice. Cheri. The shadow seemed to be listening too, so he took his chance and barreled past it, knocking it to the ground. He sped through the grass, his paws on fire as he ran towards the sound. He slowed down a bit, before almost slipping down the bank and into the nearby river, he scrambled back, and looked up to see a flash of red fur running from the river. It looked like Neoki, except smaller and thinner.

20230903192018_1.thumb.jpg.17056c235274adb0785103935997ae90.jpg

‘Cheri!’ Shee yowled, looking down into the river, knowing that the current would have swept her away as soon as that creature pushed her. A thought occurred to him, and he stepped to the side just as the shadow attempted to push him in as well. Part of him wanted to stay, to look for Cheri, but the other half of him knew that if he stayed, he would die, and then no one would know of this. He whispered a silent apology, pelting towards where he thought the tribe was, and he could hear the shadow following him for a little while before it stopped. Before silence enveloped the night again.

~

Neoki sat, anxiously flicking her tail back and forth. It had been ages since Cheri went out to look for Shee, and Neoki had stopped the tribe so the two of them could catch up. Dawn was tickling the horizon, and there was no sign of the creature. Suddenly a bright yellow flash of fur shot out of the grasses. Neoki tensed as she realised it was Shee. And he looked awful. 

‘Shee. Are you hurt? Where is Cheri?’ Neoki stood up, letting a cool air of confidence wash over her. 

‘C-Cheri…I s-saw…’ Shee gasped, as he stood before Neoki. He fell to the ground and rested his paws, feeling relief wash over him. He was safe. 

‘Just breathe. Take your time.’ Neoki soothed him. Somehow, she had a bad feeling that whatever had happened to Cheri was not good. Shee took a deep breath, and slowly explained everything that had happened to him. And to Cheri. Neoki’s face darkened slightly.

‘We need to move.’ Neoki said calmly. She helped Shee up, but her head was a mess. Red fur, like hers? Her heart soared as she realised it could be Randi, but plummeted as she realised what he had done. A shadow creature? And what had happened to Cheri… Were they just after Cheri, or were they following the tribe?

Regardless, she had to get the tribe to a permanent camp. Like this, they were at their weakest. The tribe always came first. Always.

20230903192307_1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Fennel said:

Go for it! I'd read it if you made one

Yeah but idk what it would be about 

I still have the Wildberry savefile but i don't feel like updating all of it since I played it for a bit without posting 

+ That challenge I made with Mari is REALLY hard

4 hours ago, Andromeda_ said:

Yeah but idk what it would be about 

I still have the Wildberry savefile but i don't feel like updating all of it since I played it for a bit without posting 

+ That challenge I made with Mari is REALLY hard

You could do a playthrough with a story about a single nicheling, not a tribe

Or you could look through the challenges to see if you want to do anything there

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

(*rises from the dead*

have a short update :))

Ista trotted through the grasses, a few minutes ahead of the tribe. Calypso came with her, though it probably would have been better if she were alone. Calypso didn’t understand anything Ista told her, not knowing how to talk in the language Ista and Cane had come up with. Still, Ista tried. It wasn’t exactly easy making friends, when everyone else could hear and you couldn’t.

There is nothing here. Let’s go back to tell Neoki. Ista tapped against a smooth rock she always brought with her. Apparently, the rock made a sound, but she just counted the amount of taps she made to form certain words. Calypso’s face fell slightly, as she struggled to remember what each tap meant. Ista just pointed back at where the tribe was, until Calypso got it, and nodded. Just then, Calypso stiffened, and said something. Ista tried to read her mouth, but only got one word. Bearyena. She spun around and saw a bearyena running right at her, its jaws wide open to let out a roar she could not hear. Calypso grabbed her roughly by the pelt, and yanked her out of the way just in time. Ista jumped up and ran around the bearyena in circles, trying to distract it. Calypso screamed for help, before pelting at full speed at the bearyena, headbutting it with her horns. The bearyena roared again, and bit down on Calypso. 

Just then, a flash of pink interrupted everything, as King ran forward and tore at the bearyena with his sharp claws. He had a defiant grin on his face, as he said something to Calypso, to which she smiled weakly at. Ista darted forward and dragged Calypso out of harm’s way, as King and the bearyena fought. But King couldn’t see everything, he couldn't see how the bearyena’s stance shifted, how it was readying itself to pounce on top of him. Ista tried to make a sound, tried to warn him, but her cry came too late. A strangled cry came from King, before the bearyena picked up his limp body and walked off, not turning around. Calypso tried to stand up, but her bite wound was too deep, and she collapsed. It was up to Ista to get Calypso to safety, and to tell the tribe the dark news. When Fess heard it, she didn’t wail. She only curled up in her nest, pulling Aksit close to her as silent tears rolled down her cheeks.

20230903192404_1.thumb.jpg.a68bc29afd78981b2fc8cc0f0738ad56.jpg

(KING NOOOO-)

~

Alia sprinted through camp, her orange fur like a burning fire. A few creatures had to step out of her way as she wheeled around, looking for her brother.

‘Keeeeeeennyyyyyyyyy!’ She sang as she jumped over a carefully stacked pile of roots, ready to be packed into leaves to be carried on someone’s back. Tor snapped at her, but she didn’t quite catch what he said. Finally, she caught the sight of pale yellow fur, trotting towards Neoki. She darted in front of him, stopping him dead in his tracks. ‘Where are you going?’

‘Ali.’ He gave a small smile. ‘To Neoki, to ask her if there’s anything that needs doing.’

‘That’s what you said earlier!’ Alia whined, circling around her brother.

‘Is there something wrong with that?’ Kendyll raised an eyebrow at her.

‘Yeah! You’re tired.’ Alia tried to sound bossy, but her ears were flattened against her head, her eyes staring at the ground. ‘You look sick, Kenny.’ She mumbled. Kendyll frowned. These past few days, he had been working even harder than usual. The tribe needed to move, and losing both King and Cheri in such a short space of time wasn’t great either. He had to work. But the work gave him bags under his eyes, and sore paws that he never complained about. It made him a restless sleeper, it made his tail droop when he walked. He had thought no one would notice, so he could continue working in peace. But Alia noticed. Alia always noticed. 

‘I didn’t mean to worry you.’ He murmured, and pulled her into a warm hug. She buried her face in his fur. 

‘Why do you even do it anyway? Mum always said you worked too much.’ Alia said. Though she didn’t voice it, it was obvious she knew what had happened to Meda. Kendyll paused.

‘You know Neoki doesn’t like me. I just don’t want to be gotten rid of, that’s all.’ He whispered, so no one else would overhear.

‘But she wouldn’t throw you out, she’s good!’ Alia huffed, not caring if anyone else heard.

‘You don’t know that!’ He snapped. He quickly regained his composure, but his ears were flattened against his head. ‘Sorry. I just…if I was gone then you’d be… I don’t want to leave you alone Alia.’

‘But you’re going to if you make yourself sick!’ Alia stepped back, and sat down. It hurt Kendyll to see her like this, worried and angry. He shuffled his paws a moment, trying to think of a way that would let him keep working, and to stop Alia from worrying. There was none.

‘Ali, I’m sorry, okay? I didn’t know you were so worried. If I stopped working so hard, will you promise to stop worr-’

‘Yes!’ Alia beamed, almost pushing her brother over as she hugged him again. He smiled, ruffling her fur. Kendyll watched Neoki walk off to attend to something Cane was asking for, and anxiety wormed its way through his stomach. He did his best to ignore it. He would do anything for Alia. Just then, fur that was a bit brighter yellow than his stepped towards them. 

‘Kendyll. Alia.’ Shee smiled, happy to see his two children again. He had so much explaining to do, but he had built up everything he needed to say to them these past few days. 

‘Dad!’ Alia spun around, but she didn’t bound over to give him a hug, like she would have done before. She trotted forward and gave him a smile. ‘Where were you? Neoki said you came back a few days ago, but we couldn’t find you anywhere!’ 

‘I wanted to apologise, but I didn’t know how to say it.’ Shee hung his head in shame. ‘I am sorry. You needed me most when your mother died, but I pushed you away. I’m your father and I pushed you away. I want to fix it. Please, forgive me.’ Shee’s eyes were genuine, and full of love as he looked at his kids. Alia bounded forward and hugged him tight.

‘Of course dad! I missed you so much!’ She grinned, full of energy again. Kendyll guessed that she was just happy that Shee didn’t leave them for good.

‘Of course.’ Kendyll said curtly, not moving. He wasn’t as quick to forgive as Alia was. However, Shee seemed to understand. He nodded at his son as he hugged Alia.

‘Thank you.’ He smiled.

20230903192602_1.thumb.jpg.6b830d9158a0f156853da1efe784a9e0.jpg

• Like 1

Aksit prowled through the bushes, the stink of bearyena filling his nostrils. He had been tracking this one for days. Both Neoki and Fess had told him to stop it, to stop needlessly risking his life by seeking out bearyena, but he really couldn’t. In truth, he felt awful about going behind his Mom’s back, he loved her very much. But on the other hand, he couldn’t just let these monsters roam free. If Dad was still here, Aksit was sure he’d be proud of him. Dad was always daring, and Aksit wanted to be like him. Aksit paused.

Here.

He crept forward, his paws barely making a sound on the soft grass. He peered through the bushes at an empty clearing. Wait. Not empty. A small bundle of dark brown fur lay there. A creature? Aksit was about to stand up and go towards it, before it whined. It sounded nothing like a creature, and his blood ran cold as he realised it was a bearyena pup. He should kill it. Pounce on it, and rid this island of another monster. It whined again, louder this time. If bearyena could cry, this is probably what it would sound like. Pity panged in Aksit’s heart. Was it alone? 

He crept forward, until he was right in front of it. It saw him, but didn’t move. Aksit stood up, but it still didn’t move. He walked all around it. Nothing. Just as he was about to poke it, he realised it was incredibly thin for a bearyena. He could see its ribs. Wasn’t its mother meant to care for it? The pup whined again, and he could see how its eyes were glazed over with pain. It was dying. Even if he fed it now, it wouldn’t do anything for it. Again, Aksit felt that pity in his heart. He could just leave it to die. It's not his problem. 

Aksit turned to leave, before stopping. Would King want this? For his son to heartlessly turn his back on something that needed his help? Even though it was a monster, it was still just a pup…. He sighed, before scooching up beside it. It didn’t push him away, so he wrapped his tail around it to warm it up a bit. Maybe it mistook Aksit for its mother, or maybe it was just cold, but it curled up against him. He stiffened, but didn’t move. It was kind of Ironic, how he came here to kill a bearyena, and yet he was comforting one as it faded away. 

‘Aksit! Don’t!’ A slightly familiar voice yelled across the clearing. The pup whimpered and tried to get up, but failed. Aksit gently patted its head to get it to calm down.

‘Hush. You’re scaring it.’ Aksit replied in a calm tone. He looked over at the voice across the clearing, at Shee as he stood there. Shee mustn't have heard, because he bolted forward and pulled Aksit away from the bearyena.

‘It’s only a pup, don’t hurt it!’ Shee cried, standing between the two.

‘I’m not a monster! I know that!’ Aksit hissed, before barging past and sitting down next to the pup again. Its breathing was more shallow now. ‘It’s dying. Let it die in peace.’

‘I thought you were…’ Shee paused for a moment, before realising what was going on. He seemed more than embarrassed as he spoke. ‘Ah. I’m sorry Aksit. I thought you were going to…’ 

‘You’re right, I hate bearyena. But I’m not going to kill a pup.’ 

‘Of course. Neoki was asking for you.’ Shee said, wanting to switch the subject. Aksit laid his head down and let the pup huddle against his fur. It made his fur stand on end, being so friendly with a bearyena, but he knew he had to do this. He couldn’t, wouldn’t let it die alone.

‘Tell her I’m busy right now. I’ll meet with her in a moment.’

20230903192719_1.thumb.jpg.975d473496839c2f5245a6a04b916064.jpg

~

Fani felt the coughs rack her body again. She lay there, wheezing in the grass as her vision clouded. Not again! I was getting better, I was! 

But this was worse than her ordinary cough attacks. Her heart almost stopped as she realised there was blood mixed in with her spit. She wasn’t even that sick! Denial flooded her thoughts. She was fine. She was going to be fine. Her limbs suddenly grew weak, and she collapsed to the ground. She heard distant voices, or maybe it was just her mind making it up. She weakly called out for help, but it came out as more of a rasp. She saw two creature’s in the distance, one fiery orange, and the other a pale yellow. They must be Olik and Kilo, the Gods of death, come to take her heart away! She wasn’t ready to die! 

She struggled to get up, but the orange one bolted forward and gently helped her to lie down again. The yellow one looked incredibly agitated, and pulled the orange one away. Fani only felt a small amount of sadness at that. She was used to creatures staying away from her. They seemed to be talking. From what Fani heard, the orange one was named Alia, and the yellow one Kenny. The two seemed to come to a conclusion. Fani opened her mouth to beg them to help her, but only more coughing came out. Everything hurt…

Alia darted off, while Kenny stayed. He inched forward, until he eventually got close enough to help her to a nest nearby. Fani heard him muttering under his breath, about how this was ‘Against the rules’ and ‘Dangerous’. He helped her lay down. Faintly, she heard him ask if she was alright. She wanted to say, ‘Obviously not’, but she only coughed harder. It felt like her insides were falling out. 

Alia rushed back with a healing fruit, and cracked it open. Fani tried to eat it, but she was too weak. Kenny seemed to think for a minute, before he cracked the fruit-nut against a rock, causing its juices to spill out. He gave it to her, and Fani drank it. She only hoped it wasn’t too late. She coughed for a few more minutes, the other two creatures standing to one side, worry in their eyes as they glanced at each other. However, Fani was already feeling like her eyesight was clearing up, and her throat hurt less. Eventually, it was only a small cough every minute or so. She wobbled to her paws, and smiled at her saviours. 

‘Y’ saved me! Thank y’ so much, I don’t know how I can ever repay ye!’ Fani grinned at them. Alia smiled widely, and Kenny gave a small smile back.

‘No repayment needed! We’re just glad you’re okay!’ Alia chirped. A thought came to her. ‘My name’s Alia, you should join our tribe!’ 

‘Alia, no!’ Kenny whispered, but he underestimated Fani’s hearing. 

‘No, s’alright, thank y’ for the offer, but I prefer to be alone.’ Fani reassured him. Just then, a spiky creature walked up behind them. Said something about the leader wanting to see them. Regardless, Fani wasn’t there to hear it, having already slunk away. She knew them over excitable types, like Alia. It was best if Fani left quickly, so as to not give the yellow creature any undue worry. Her paws already felt so much stronger! She’d have to go find that fruit Alia found, that would come in handy.

Fani didn’t see the two pairs of eyes watching everyone, one pair violet, one pair brown. Their disinterested gaze quickly left Fani, and stared at the others. Specifically Shee.

20230903193012_1.thumb.jpg.10d199ba54dfbae91cdc0da272f53466.jpg

20230903193005_1.thumb.jpg.d7533f13835ebc6e35dce5d352a3a2e2.jpg

• Like 1

Fess holds her kit close, trying her best to listen to what Neoki was saying while also making sure Inko didn’t toddle out of the nest. It hurt her to think that Inko would never know what King was like, how he smiled and laughed, how bold and kind he was. Fess had cried all her tears, but that didn’t mean her grief was gone. However, she knew that she had to be there for both her sons, no matter what. Neoki’s voice snapped Fess to the present. Neoki was frowning at her.

‘Uh, I’m sorry, what?’ Fess felt herself burn under her fur from the embarrassment.

‘The strange creatures that have been following us. I asked if you might know who they are, as you are one of the more experienced members of the tribe.’ Neoki patiently explained. She was sitting down on a slightly higher patch of ground. It was custom for leaders to stand during important announcements, but Neoki’s condition seemed to be getting worse the older she got. It seemed the tiredness and weakness she had was worst in her back legs, so much so that she had to sit or lie down most of the time. However, she could still walk around just fine, it was just too tiring for her. Her mind was still as sharp as flint though, and she was probably the most intelligent leader the Tribe of Sun has had for many moons.

‘Sadly, no. Anyone I can think of that might do something like this doesn’t fit the description Shee gave us.’ Fess sighed. Red fur and black fur. She suspected who the creature with red fur might be, but could she say it to Neoki? Neoki continued talking, about a plan of some sort, but Fess was already thinking. Cane was the only other creature who would probably remember Randi well enough to suspect him, but Cane was quiet and reserved. It was up to her.

‘Neoki, excuse me.’ Fess spoke up, standing up and handing Inko over to Aksit.

‘Speak.’ Neoki nodded. 

‘The red-furred creature, I was thinking he might be…Randi.’ Fess spoke slowly. Fess couldn’t see it, but in that moment, Neoki’s muscles tensed, and her air of calm broke for a second. The rest of the tribe was quiet. The silence was like a veil, keeping Fess and Neoki hidden from everyone else.  Neoki struggled to keep her voice even. Fess was one of her closest friends, why would she say something like this?

‘You and I both know that Randi is most likely dead. He was exiled as a child.’ Neoki said quietly. ‘And even if he was alive, why would he resort to killing his tribe like this? If he wanted revenge, he would have gone for me.’

‘Randi loved- loves you Neoki. I remember him, he never would have laid a paw on you.’ Fess argued. ‘Maybe he’s going after those who wronged him? Or those who he always secretly disliked?’

‘Fess, this is extremely unlikely. If you allow it, can we get back to making a plan?’ Neoki’s voice took on a cutting quality. This conversation was over. 

‘Of course.’ Fess sighed, sitting back down. Cane gave her a pat on the back, for at least trying. Neoki was clever, that was true. But her grief made her blind to things that were obvious. Maybe Shee could explain some more. Where was he anyway?

‘Aksit, have you seen Shee anywhere?’ Fess murmured. 

‘Nope. I think he was with Kendyll and Alia, but they arrived alone.’

‘Can you please go ask them? This is an important meeting, he should be here.’ Fess took Inko off her son. Aksit whispered to her that he would, and snuck through the crowd. Eventually he bumped into Alia. A quick explanation was all it took to bring a worried expression to her face. 

‘But he was right behind us? He said he had to take care of something, and he’d join us in a few minutes.’ She frowned. 

‘Shee?’ Neoki called, her face full of confusion. ‘Where is he? It’s his turn to speak.’

‘He’s still out there!’ Alia cried, darting away from everyone, and back to the place where they found the sick wanderer. 

20230903193617_1.thumb.jpg.5430d64639d9df29202b827a9e407e26.jpg

20230903193822_1.thumb.jpg.03b1634cf569b0e4d50eb3bbeb15a4fa.jpg

~

‘At least tell me why you’re doing this.’ Shee spoke out loud. He was in an empty clearing, but he could feel them watching him. He had to do this, he knew the creatures had been following him for days now. 

‘But if I tell you, you’ll run off and tell everyone, won’t you?’ The not-so familiar voice of Randi sent chills down Shee’s spine. He whipped around to face him, his fur as red as Neoki’s. He had changed so much, he was thinner, looked more agile, and more grown than before. But what changed the most were his eyes. There was a strange madness in them, something that he hadn’t seen before. Randi walked as if he was stalking prey. Shee stood his ground. 

‘The chances of that are small.’ Shee said drily. ‘I know you have an accomplice.’ 

‘That he does.’ The voice of the shadow, from behind him. The shadowy creature looked much clearer in daylight, but his fur still remained an inky black.

‘You want to know why I’m doing this. Except I’m not going to tell you, because I’m not stupid.’ Randi spat. ‘All you need to know is that Kendyll is the creature I want to get rid of, and getting rid of you will help me get rid of him. Maybe then he’ll stop hanging around that orange creature, at least for two seconds.’

‘Why you then?’ Shee turned to face the shadow. It grinned back at him.

‘Let’s just say me and Randi are friends, of sorts.’ The shadow didn’t seem to be bothered by his half-mad friend. Randi snorted at that, but didn’t deny it. It seemed the shadow was enjoying this, while Randi just saw all this as a means to an end.

‘Are you going to hurt me?’ Shee tried to keep his voice calm and confident. It didn’t really work. Randi didn’t say anything. He leapt at Shee. 

20230903193345_1.thumb.jpg.bbd9e29109113eec60b0d08849088b84.jpg

~

‘Neoki?’ Alia’s voice.

‘Yes?’ Neoki’s voice, almost as distressed as Alia’s.

‘That plan you were talking about. Where one of us is bait. And the others hide and attack those creatures when they show up?’ 

‘What about it?’

‘We need to go ahead with it. Now.’ 

‘...I agree.’ Neoki whispered. They were too late to save Shee. She wouldn’t lose anyone else. 

(okay things are getting dramatic lol)

• Like 1
  • Eek! 1

20230930184928_1.thumb.jpg.1bb7ce377b50736d09a1c39b5f11a604.jpg

Kendyll stared out across the water. He was stupid. So stupid. Still he didn’t regret it, that much anyway. He was glad the wind ruffling his fur hid the slight tremble of his paws. He distantly heard the waves crashing against the cliff far below. The only cliff on the island. He could still remember Neoki’s voice, asking for a volunteer. Frankly, the plan was stupid. Sit here, and the murderers will come for you. Yeah, sure. Then what? Alia was hidden in the grass further away, and if anything happened she would raise the alarm call for the others to come help. If the whole tribe hid nearby, the murderers wouldn’t come anywhere near here. He let out a slow breath, looking down at the water below him. His head spun, and he quickly sat back. He was meant to be acting heartbroken over the death of his father, and while he was mourning, Kendyll wasn’t one to show it. He was quiet about his sadness. A twig snapped behind him. Spinning around, he saw the red fur Shee told them about. Fess was right. It was Randi. Kendyll felt a surge of guilt. If it wasn’t for him, and the rules he always stuck to, no one would have been hurt. He was pulled out of his thoughts as he realised Randi was acting off. Randi sat down as if he didn't have a care in the world, and simply smiled at Kendyll across the small clearing on the cliff. There was almost a joy in his eyes as he looked at Kendyll, but the joy looked twisted. He looked at Kendyll, as if they were long lost friends. 

‘You’re a terrible actor, Kendyll.’ Randi spoke. 

‘W-what?’ Of course he had to stutter. To be honest, he was terrified. 

‘Acting like you’re not here to be bait. I’m actually surprised you would volunteer. Are you afraid of me?’ Randi tilted his head. Something was wrong. Alia should have raised the call by now. 

‘No.’ Kendyll raised his head high. ‘We know what you’re doing. You want revenge, but we’re not letting you have it. Just leave Randi, while you can.’

‘Oh, I’m not leaving. After all the hard work I’ve put in, don’t you think I deserve a reward?’ Randi was still smiling as he stalked forward, but the madness obvious in his eyes crept into his expression. ‘It was your fault Kendyll. I know I have no chance of ever rejoining this tribe. What I can do, is end you.’

‘Neoki was the one who exiled you. Not me.’ Kendyll didn’t step back. Earlier he had counted every step to the cliffside, and if he took one more step, he would be in danger of being thrown over.

Neoki, was influenced by you. She would never want to hurt me. And I won’t hurt her. She Isn’t the one at fault here.’ Randi spat, his smile immediately disappearing. Kendyll thought he heard something over the sound of the waves, but he couldn’t be sure.

‘Alia. What did you do with Alia?’ Kendyll couldn’t stop himself. If Randi hurt her…

‘She’s quite busy right now.’ Kendyll expected Randi to jump at him. Instead, a black creature leaped at him from the side, toppling him to the ground. Kendyll kicked him off and leapt back up, only for Randi to bite his ear and pull, causing Kendyll to fall down again. Randi raised his claw, and drove it across Kendyll’s face. A scream tore out of him, and he rolled away, standing up and trying to see through the blood smudging his vision. 

‘Take your time, Halim.’ Randi said. His voice was as cold as ice, no mercy in it. He truly was mad. Halim ran forward and ducked under Kendyll’s swipe, before ramming into him with his antlers. The wind was knocked out of Kendyll, and he fell down again. Halim loomed over him, blocking out the sun. The bright sun. Was that the last thing Kendyll would see?

‘Don’t touch my brother!’ Alia screamed, as she threw herself against Halim. He yelped as he tumbled back, almost falling off the cliff. Alia’s back leg was broken, and there was a wound somewhere on her body, but a bright fire blazed in her eyes. Randi hissed and went for her, but Kendyll darted forward and tackled him. Alia ran towards the recovering Halim, and with a mighty heave, pushed him off the cliff. 

20230930185100_1.thumb.jpg.9e940fb032627c9ccde2a0e137b00fc2.jpg

Everyone heard his cry as he fell down towards the water below. There were tears in Alia’s eyes, as the realisation of what she had done hit her. 

‘No!’ Randi yelled and ran to the cliff edge. He had thrown Kendyll off, and both he and Alia were too weak to stop him. But Neoki wasn’t. Using all the strength she had, she ran forward and pushed Randi to the ground. 

‘Let me go! He can’t swim!’ Randi screamed, trying to push her off, but he was much frailer than her, and she had thrown herself on top of him so he couldn’t move. 

20230930185129_1.thumb.jpg.9ea5273714f7f55f541509d6e90fdf71.jpg

‘You’ll die!’ Neoki yelled in his face. Suddenly, tears pricked her eyes. ‘I would have let you come back! If I found you again, I’d have made something up, I’d have lied, just to bring you back into our tribe! Don’t you see what you’ve done!’ Randi’s eyes widened.

‘T-thats not…’ He couldn’t reverse all this. He couldn’t make it go back to the way it was. She would have let him come back.

She would have let him come back.

She would have let him come back. 

She would have let him come back. She would have let him come back. She would have let him come back. She would have let him come back. She would have let him come back. She would have- 

‘No!’ Randi yelled again, and this time he managed to push the two closer to the edge. Kendyll heard rocks crumbling. 

‘Neoki…’ He called out weakly, but his face hurt so much he couldn’t even think. The rock, it was- 

A loud crack echoed across the ocean. Neoki and Randi managed to make eye contact, just before the rock under them gave way. And they understood. Randi’s revenge only made him bleed, destroying him until he was nothing like he was before. And Neoki’s inability to let go quietly wrecked her, until she was only an actor performing a play to those around her, acting like she was calm and in control, when in reality, her heart was lonelier than the ocean.

And the rock gave way. And they fell, down towards the water below, until the crashing of the waves swallowed them both, hungry jaws taking them under. 

The wind whistled on the clifftop as Calypso finally reached the clearing. Kendyll and Alia only dimly heard her voice. Then everything was quiet.

20230930185251_1.thumb.jpg.19b452cd2b5b6d88ce4c9de621f1cd2e.jpg

• Like 1

20230930185531_1.thumb.jpg.2c32dea7bc4fd098e8391f22f896a1fe.jpg

The sister looked at the brother as the rest of the tribe stepped across the rocks. The sea was calm today, the weather sunny, but chilly. The brother smiled at her, and nodded at the travelling stone between them. On it were directions on how to get to the next island. To tell the truth, the port didn’t look very welcoming, but the tribe had decided this was what was best. Ever since the tribe arrived here, they had dealt with misfortune after misfortune, but they persevered. They stood strong during the storm, but now it was finally time to leave this stormy island. Who knows, maybe the next island will be worse than this one. But they would cross that bridge when they came to it. 

‘One step at a time!’ Nodded the sister, hopping onto the stepping stones. 

‘One step at a time.’ The brother repeated, following her. 

And so they left, not looking back at this Deadly Isle their tribe had called home for so long.

• Like 1

Well, that's it! I hope you liked this silly little story, because I loved writing it! (Also somehow this playthrough has 5k views so like???)

If you can, could you tell me what you liked and didn't like about the story, the characters or the way it was written, because I want to improve my writing :D.

Also who was your favourite or most hated character- 

1 hour ago, Stranger said:

Well, that's it! I hope you liked this silly little story, because I loved writing it! (Also somehow this playthrough has 5k views so like???)

If you can, could you tell me what you liked and didn't like about the story, the characters or the way it was written, because I want to improve my writing :D.

Also who was your favourite or most hated character- 

I wish I could eek react and sad react at the same time

• Haha 1