Stray Fawn Community

Lioden challenge(?)

medicine cat

CHAPTER 13, DAY 221

Pantherwhisker and Nightsky grow into teenagers, often adventuring and hunting around the territory together. Their presence is much to the annoyance of Venom, who finds their personalities grating. He complains about them to Redstrike.
"I can't stand them," he hisses. "I don't much care who between the two of us who becomes king, but Nightsky ruling the pride would be an embarrassment."
image.png.86af218018a2f933ef7406fc4916eb04.png

Speaking of, Viron is aging, and the pride is beginning to discuss with more curiosity who they think will be the next king.
"I think Venom should be king," comments Ghita. "He's the eldest."
"My Redstrike should be king," purrs Mara. "He's just like myself."
"I think NIghtsky should be king. He has the kindest heart." The elderly, nearly-blind Proudrunner licks her paw.

Sundash dies of old age, leaving Shinus as the only right-hand lion of KIng Viron. Shinus mourns him the most.

Meanwhile, Nightsky and Pantherwhisker grow into adult lions. 

Proudrunner dies of old age, and Viron begins to develop a sickness, as does Ghita.

Finally, Viron dies along with Ghita. And it's left to three possible heirs to battle each other for the throne; Redstrike, Nightsky, and Venom.
image.png.7037e640976a5d6e39a841e02fe98433.png

The lionesses watch in a tense, horrified silence as the males circle each other. But Venom and Redstrike exchange a quick glance at each other before charging at Nightsky. The dark-pelted male is caught off guard as Venom and Redstrike charge him, digging their claws into his sides. He lets out a terrified roar as Venom and Redstrike charge him, and the attack ends as soon as it starts- Nightsky is killed.

Venom and Redstrike stare at each other, their tails still flicking quickly and viciously from the heat of battle mere seconds ago. After a moment, Venom bows his head.
"Lions of Windrunner pride, I present King Redstrike." Redstrike shakes his mane.
Pantherwhiker, still in shock, lets out an enraged howl and goes to charge at the males, but Shinus stops her. 
"Let's just go, Pantherwhisker. These lands aren't worth it anymore."

"Are you coming, Mystic?" Shinus tilts his head to one side. Mystic feels her ears flatten and her whole body tense and she shakes her head. She just watched her son kill his own pridemate for power. If she broke pride law to bring a killer into the pride, she feels responsible seeing what he does with this power. And then Venom.... What has her brother become? Who encouraged the other? Mystic looks at Mara, who puffs her chest out proudly at her adoptive son, who she raised, becoming king of the pride. 
How is she not horrified? Mystic asks herself. She just cares about being in the royal bloodline...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Eek! 1

CHAPTER 14, DAY 238

The pride is now just King Redstrike, Venom, Mystic, Mara, and Littlejewel.
"We need to get out of these lands," says Redstrike, lashing his tail after calling a pride meeting. "We're going to discuss where to go." He licks his paw, not seeming to notice the terrified stares of Mystic and Littlejewel. "I say we head north."
"I don't care where we go," shrugs Venom.
"I say south," Mara suggests.
"I agree. South." Mystic pipes up, directly intending to go the opposite of where her son wants to.
"I think north is fine," says Littlejewel quietly.
"Then I say north," Venom interrupts. "To break the tie."
Redstrike smiles. "Good. We head north then."

On the way out of the territory, Mystic meets a rogue in secret and soon discovers she is pregnant. She at first feels joy, but then realizes that Redstrike will know she was with a rogue if she gives birth. She thinks fast and considers pretending she found the cub- but she flattens her ears. No. She won't hide.

Her cub is born- a female who looks a lot like her. But the cub is born with a deformed paw. She curls around the cub protectively, expecting to have to confront Redstrike when he sees her.

"She's mine," Mystic hisses at the male. "And if you want to hurt her, you'll have to fight me first."
Redstrike seems to almost consider it, but when Mystic rises to her paws and he sees her sharp claws and muscles, he backs off. "We'll keep her." He looks at the cub. "We'll call her Bitterleg."

Mystic goes to protest, but she's just glad the cub will be protected in the pride- she knows if she were to go on her own and raise it, her daughter might not survive. She prays to the heavens her daughter turns out kinder than her son did.
image.png.474eb8af9d456f39f6e514a13071bb60.png

But under Redstrike's tough rule, members of the pride have to compete for the food supply. Bitterleg quickly learns to be greedy and to fight for herself- much to the delight of Redstrike.
"She'll grow to be a proud warrior of the pride," snarls the red-pelted king.

Finally, the pride makes it to the new territory.
image.png.4625f339ae77dfd8ce8b205e5ceb9211.png
(Left to right: Venom, Bitterleg, King Redstrike, Mystic, Littlejewel, Mara)

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, medicine cat said:

CHAPTER 13, DAY 221

Pantherwhisker and Nightsky grow into teenagers, often adventuring and hunting around the territory together. Their presence is much to the annoyance of Venom, who finds their personalities grating. He complains about them to Redstrike.
"I can't stand them," he hisses. "I don't much care who between the two of us who becomes king, but Nightsky ruling the pride would be an embarrassment."
image.png.86af218018a2f933ef7406fc4916eb04.png

Speaking of, Viron is aging, and the pride is beginning to discuss with more curiosity who they think will be the next king.
"I think Venom should be king," comments Ghita. "He's the eldest."
"My Redstrike should be king," purrs Mara. "He's just like myself."
"I think NIghtsky should be king. He has the kindest heart." The elderly, nearly-blind Proudrunner licks her paw.

Sundash dies of old age, leaving Shinus as the only right-hand lion of KIng Viron. Shinus mourns him the most.

Meanwhile, Nightsky and Pantherwhisker grow into adult lions. 

Proudrunner dies of old age, and Viron begins to develop a sickness, as does Ghita.

Finally, Viron dies along with Ghita. And it's left to three possible heirs to battle each other for the throne; Redstrike, Nightsky, and Venom.
image.png.7037e640976a5d6e39a841e02fe98433.png

The lionesses watch in a tense, horrified silence as the males circle each other. But Venom and Redstrike exchange a quick glance at each other before charging at Nightsky. The dark-pelted male is caught off guard as Venom and Redstrike charge him, digging their claws into his sides. He lets out a terrified roar as Venom and Redstrike charge him, and the attack ends as soon as it starts- Nightsky is killed.

Venom and Redstrike stare at each other, their tails still flicking quickly and viciously from the heat of battle mere seconds ago. After a moment, Venom bows his head.
"Lions of Windrunner pride, I present King Redstrike." Redstrike shakes his mane.
Pantherwhiker, still in shock, lets out an enraged howl and goes to charge at the males, but Shinus stops her. 
"Let's just go, Pantherwhisker. These lands aren't worth it anymore."

"Are you coming, Mystic?" Shinus tilts his head to one side. Mystic feels her ears flatten and her whole body tense and she shakes her head. She just watched her son kill his own pridemate for power. If she broke pride law to bring a killer into the pride, she feels responsible seeing what he does with this power. And then Venom.... What has her brother become? Who encouraged the other? Mystic looks at Mara, who puffs her chest out proudly at her adoptive son, who she raised, becoming king of the pride. 
How is she not horrified? Mystic asks herself. She just cares about being in the royal bloodline...

What did you expect it was a challenge ofc they might kill one of them 

CHAPTER 15, DAY 247

The Windrunner Pride arrives on the new island.

"You'd ought to find a queen of your own by now," Mara advises Redstrike, sitting beside him. She licks the top of her son's head in a motherly manner. "You'll never expand this pride without a lioness alongside you."

Mystic stares at Mara and Redstrike from across the camp clearing, resting her head on her paws. She sighs, regretting the day that she gave Redstrike to Mara for her to raise. A familiar set of paws slinks alongside her. Mystic does not raise her eyes to meet Venom.
"You're quiet lately," the lion says, licking his paw.  "What's up with you?"
Mara does not answer, flattening her ears. The love she had for her brother is gone; all Venom is to her is a grim reminder of what the pride used to be before he and Redstrike overtook it.
"Can't you be happy for me?" Venom insists, his voice sharper this time. "I spent my youth under my father's shadow. And now I'm helping to lead the pride. Can't you appreciate that?"
"You're not leading anything," Mystic says, her eyes cast to her paws. "Redstrike is dragging you around for his bidding. And you know it."
Venom growls under his breath. "Whatever." He paces away from her.

Bitterleg grows into an adult- she is a fearsome lioness, not as strong as her mother but stronger than Littlejewel.
image.png.5975af54d299ac7e467ac82905277959.png

Mara dies of old age, leaving Redstrike mourning the loss of who he believes is his mother. Mystic tries to bring herself to feel something, but she holds nothing but resentment for the lioness she made a deal with so many moons ago.

The lions continue moving about the territory, and Redstrike continues his search for a mate. A hyena pack attacks the territory, but Venom and Redstrike work together to take it down.
"You're not that bad of a fighter," Venom compliments Redstrike. But Redstrike only blinks in acknowledgement.

A rogue male approaches the pride and is swiftly killed by Redstrike.

Bitterleg becomes pregnant by a rogue male but brings the cub to the pride and acts as if she found it. She faces Redstrike, lashing her tail protectively as she stands over the cub. The larger male glares at the ball of fur for a moment, but lets out a snarl.
"Leave it. It's not our problem."
"We can't just leave the-"
"Leave it!" Redstrike orders, flattening his ears. "We can't afford to feed another mouth in the pride that's not going to contribute."
Bitterleg flattens her ears, places the cub in a safe place where another will hopefully find it, and follows Redstrike away from the cub.

Mystic finally dies of old age, and Littlejewel dies of an illness. Venom and Redstrike don't mourn much, but Bitterleg seems to miss her mother.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

CHAPTER 16, DAY 290

Redstrike is aging without any success convincing a lioness to join his pride, and Venom is trying to encourage him, but he's getting bitter. The pride only consists of Redstrike, Bitterleg, and Venom now.
image.png.33be50d9caf0ce100ac92c08ed0d7b36.png

But Venom dies, leaving only Redstrike and Bitterleg. Redstrike knows that he is old, and that his time is coming.
"You may very well be the first queen of Windrunner pride," Redstrike says bitterly. "Likely I won't be seeing my heir."
"The pride will survive. I'll lead it better than anyone you've ever seen," Bitterleg says. She raises her head proudly, trying not to get too excited about her future position as leader yet.

As predicted, Redstrike dies. Bitterleg is left to lead Windrunner pride as Queen Bitterleg. She wanders the lands alone, looking for an heir.

One night, a storm rages across the territory. Bitterleg hides in her den, and a booming, unfamiliar male voice calls to her from the rain.
"Bitterleg! Come out."
An unfamiliar male stands before Bitterleg, and she sharpens her claws, but she realizes this lion can't be fought- it is the foggy appearance of King Startail.
"Your ancestors are angry, Bitterleg," the low voice growls. " I am king Startail, grandfather of King Viron, who fathered your mother. The pride has fallen to ruin over the greed and selfishness of its members, and we are not satisfied. We will die out- including you- if you don't begin to think of others."
Bitterleg flattens her ears, horrified. "How do you expect me to lead a pride? I've been left here all alone."
"The selfishness of the pride leader before you caused the pride to fall- and you will fall too if you follow his path. Place your paws carefully, Bitterleg." King Startail fades, leaving Bitterleg shaking like a leaf.

Bitterleg spends the next few days shaken, and then a few nights later, she sees another silhouette passing not far beyond her den entrance in the rain. Thinking it is once again King Startail, she comes out, but she finds a huge tawny lion she's never met before. He is obviously sick, and seems to not have eaten recently.
"I don't mean to trespass," the male says quietly. "My name is Goldenhusk. I'm unwell and just passing through."
Bitterleg goes to chase him off, but sighs and hangs her head. "...Come into my den. I'll help you."

The male is shocked, and is utterly grateful for the invitation. He follows Bitterleg into her den, surprised by how roomy it is.
"Do you live alone?" he asks. 
"I do. I didn't before."
"...Oh. Well, you have a lovely home," Goldenhusk says politely. "I'm delighted to meet you. What's your name?"
"Bitterleg," the lioness says casually.
Goldenhusk flattens his ears at the name, considering it a cruel title. But he shrugs and makes a nest in the corner of the den. "Well.. Thank you, Bitterleg."

Bitterleg keeps the male in her den and brings her the food she hunts until he gets well. When the male goes to leave, she stops him.
"You know, you could stay. With.. with me." Bitterleg looks at her paws, hoping the male will continue the pride with her. He's soft and probably bad at fighting, but she's desperate, and at least he's polite.
"Oh... Well, I'd love to, Queen Bitterleg," Goldenhusk says.

Soon, Bitterleg becomes pregnant. She gives birth not long after, the heavens blessing her with a son with a golden pelt and reddish-brown mane. He has a leg similar to Bitterleg's.
"Let's call him Starpelt," purrs Bitterleg, finding the male's face familiar. "He will be the next king of the Windrunner pride."
image.png.8fc28dc66559d37cd1b8e8cae0aca228.png

• Like 2
  • Eek! 2

CHAPTER 17, DAY 322

Starpelt grows up close to his parents; he is closer to Goldenhusk than he is to Bitterleg. Bitterleg finds herself resenting the family life she's had to acquire for the future of her pride, but she loves her son.
image.png.f68964f0d758c09b85b6ac6c9b596566.png

Starpelt grows into a curious young cub, and asks his mother many questions about the pride's history. Admittedly, Bitterleg doesn't remember much about the pride's history- Redstrike never cared much for pride lore aside from the bloodline of the kings.
"Well... there was Windrunner, who founded the pride. Then he had a son, Startail. Startail became king and was succeeded by Thunderglade, who had Viron, whose throne was handed down to Redstrike. Redstrike died and I took the lead." She licks her son's ear in a motherly manner. "That's why you have to take on being king and guide the pride one day."
"Was Redstrike your dad?"
Bitterleg shakes her head. "No. I was the daughter of Mystic, who was Viron's daughter." 
Starpelt notices his mother avert her gaze, and he stops prying.

Bitterleg informs Goldenhusk that she's having another cub. One morning, she gives birth to a daughter- a beautiful orange-pelted lioness with black eyes. She names her Gingerfall and dedicates her time to raising this cub to be a strong fighter.
image.png.582f92c6ae57c4609db111db3198c2fe.png
"I spent much of my youth having to fend for myself," Bitterleg tells her daughter. "I never want you to have to worry about defending yourself on your own. Do you understand?"
Gingerfall smiles. "Yes, mother."

Gingerfall trains to be the strongest fighter in the pride, and succeeds this by her adolescence. 
"I'm worried about Gingerfall," Goldenhusk says to Bitterleg. "Don't you think she's a bit... sinister?"
"Don't fear a lioness simply because she's capable of fending for herself," says Bitterleg, grooming herself.

• Like 3
  • Eek! 1

CHAPTER 18, DAY 342

A hyena attacks the pride, but with the combined efforts of Goldenhusk, Starpelt, and finally Gingerfall, no one is harmed as they take the enemy down. Bitterleg watches proudly as her daughter finishes off the beast.
"You're amazing, Gingerfall," Bitterleg says, nuzzling her daughter.

Bitterleg finally dies of old age, leaving the pride in mourning- especially Gingerfall, who was close with her mother. Starpelt becomes King Starpelt.
image.thumb.png.e1b46e1d645de11f32e220c436ed8807.png

"You should work on finding a queen of your own," Goldenhusk advises his son.
Starpelt nods.
"He couldn't attract a lady if he was the last lion on earth," jokes Gingerfall as she tears through some prey. Goldenhusk glares at his daughter, who simply chuckles.

Goldenhusk soon dies of old age, leaving just Starpelt and Gingerfall.

Gingerfall approaches Starpelt a few months later.
"I'm going to be having a cub," she says matter-of-factly. Starpelt flattens his ears.
"With who?"
"A rogue." She begins making a nest in the pride den.
"You realize that's against pride law, right?"
"We barely have a pride, Starpelt."
Starpelt half sighs, half growls. "You can't just do that."
"Starpelt, I'm doing more to protect this pride than two of you would." she licks her paw. "I'm having this cub."

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, AndromedaTheGalaxyCat said:

i love gingerfall's sass even if she might become a villain

6 hours ago, medicine cat said:

Gingerfall!
image.png.11fa1cbe2ed923272ff44640a0a96a18.png

Agreed! Gingerfall is such a sassy girl. And I like her strong-headed and matter-of-factness too.  The rogue's cub may end up being the heir

CHAPTER 20, DAY 387

Gingerfall has a daughter- a dark-eyed lioness with a reddish-brown pelt. She names the cub Robinclaw. Starpelt originally tries to show his disapproval of the cub, but she rests her head on his paw and he finds himself attached to his neice.
image.png.8d9da6f7ef281d342d13a8985f9ea030.png
Gingerfall eyes her brother. "See? I think I made a good decision."
"Wether you did or not, she's part of our pride, and I'm going to protect her." Starpelt smiles.

Starpelt begins to take on a mentor role for Robinclaw as she grows, and he teaches her how to fight- he becomes very quickly impressed with how quickly Robinclaw learns.
"I think she may be the best fighter the pride's seen," says Starpelt.
"Course she is. She's my daughter." Gingerfall says, watching Robinclaw climb a tree across the clearing. 

Starpelt is patrolling the territory one day when he comes across a young lioness hunting in his territory.
"What're you doing here?" he asks, not harshly. "This is Windrunner territory."
"Shhh! Hunting." The lioness flattens her ears, waving the male off with her paw.
"Hunting on my territory," he responds, smiling. He crouches beside her. The lioness is not amused.
"What do you want?"
"Well, I am looking for pride members."
"If I can get some food, I'll join you. Whatever." the lioness says, standing up straight. "I'm Autumnsnap."
"I'm King Starpelt." the male smiles. Autumnsnap flattens her ears and follows him to camp.
image.png.c5a4c5e84aff3c4c5b56d518f084446c.png

Autumnsnap doesn't particularly like Starpelt but doesn't mind the idea of being the mother of an heir, so she later announces that she is pregnant not long after arriving in the pride.
"I don't like her," Robinclaw says to her mother, flattening her ears.
"She can't be all bad," shrugs Gingerfall as she grooms her daughter behind the ears. "We need more numbers anyway."

• Like 3
  • Love 1

CHAPTER 20, DAY 394

"Starpelt, wake up," Gingerfall wakes up the king one morning. "Autumnsnap had her cub."
"Really?!" the male enthusiastically rises to his feet. "Lion or lioness? What do they look like?"
"Come see for yourself," says the flame colored lioness, leading Starpelt to the nursery where Autumnsnap lies in her nest. In her paws lies a small ginger female. Starpelt moves his nose close to the cub, who shies away.
"Let her rest," Autumnsnap says, flattening her ears. Starpelt takes a step back.

image.png.f80eca6a56165172c7e7c498cd8e48c5.png
"I'll call her Cobrawish," says Autumnsnap.
Cobrawish grows to be a strong cub, but her timid personality keeps her often shuffling nervously behind her mother.
"She's just like her mom. No fun," jokes Robinclaw. Gingerfall rolls her  eyes at her daughter but smiles. She looks at Robinclaw proudly- the young red lioness has grown to be the strongest lion in the pride. 
Starpelt tries to bond with his daughter, meanwhile, but Autumnsnap mostly prevents the two spending time together.
"I hope to have a son," he tells Gingerfall. "I want to bond with him and teach him to be king."
image.png.ce593fe9162481d95082919a8d3f4f5e.png

Cobrawish grows into adulthood, and Autumnsnap announces that she is pregnant again. She gives birth to another daughter. Autumnsnap names her Dragonaura. Like her sister, Dragonaura stays mostly disconnected from the pride and mainly bonds with her mother and Cobrawish. Gingerfall does manage to get closer to her and socialize her better than Cobrawish was.
image.png.da97b128952b048d5ff2f99432842654.png
"I'm beginning to worry about having a son," Starpelt confesses one day to Gingerfall. "I'm getting old, Gingerfall. If Autumnsnap doesn't have a son after Dragonaura grows up, I believe it'll be my time to join the ancestors before I have an heir."
"I'll carry on our name for you," Gingerfall promises her brother. But Starpelt shakes his head.
"You're not young either, Gingerfall. You know that as well as I do."

Finally, Dragoncrest grows into adulthood and Autumnsnap announces she will be having another cub. Starpelt prays to the heavens for a son, knowing this could be his last chance.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

CHAPTER 21, DAY 416

"Your third child has been born," Gingerfall wakes up Starpelt one morning. The king lopes quickly to the nursery, asking his ancestors for an heir. Before him lay a ginger cub with brown spots. A female. Starpelt feels his stomach drop- unless he somehow found another lioness, it was likely this would be his last cub with Autumnsnap.
"I can't believe we still don't have an heir." Autumnsnap looks at her cub almost with a sense of disdain. Robinclaw looks at Autumnsnap with disgust- how could she reject her daughter simply because she didn't have some old birthright? "We can call her Fallblight."
"Blight? A bit of a cruel name." Robinclaw pipes up, raising her head.
"It'll make her stronger. I'm her mother, and I decide," growls Autumnsnap.

image.png.10b47bdee54e7c7989494b8413bf7532.png

But Autumnsnap all but completely ignores her daughter's existence as she grows. She blames this on having to teach her now adult elder daughters to be good hunters, but Robinclaw doesn't believe it. Robinhunter takes pity on Fallblight.
"I wouldn't pay attention to your mother," the lioness tells the cub. "I don't think her opinion matters."
"I'm not mad at her. She's a really busy lady helping to care for the pride!" argues Fallblight. Robinclaw looks at Fallblight sadly. 
"Well... do you want me to teach you how to fight? They say I'm the best fighter in all the pride," says Robinclaw. Leaping to her paws, Fallblight's eyes brighten up.
"I'd love that!"

• Like 5