Stray Fawn Community

Place of the forgotten ones - The third era

Lilytuft

1 hour ago, Chiyanna said:

The spirit tried to make sense of all this, it was a lot to take in. "Dead?" 

Suddenly they were coughing. Their whole body shaking. And then their world spinning as they coughed, and fading off into nothingness. There was noise, frantic talking. 

"You can't leave us now!" a familair yet unknown voice called.

But soon they could no longer hear it as they faded into nothingness. As the world around them became an even darker black than it was now. Though it was only this way for a second before the memory ended.

Their eyes flashed blue.

Fangs stared at the shaking spirit, unsure what to do.

"Look a what you did! You shouldn't have just said it like that, now they're having an episode of some sort!"

Guiding leaned a little closer, and Fangs was almost worried she'd get poked by their shaking spikes.

-Sorry, sorry. Are you alright?

Once she seemed to have gotten a good look at them, she stood back up in a more relaxed position.

-It's okay. They're just having a memory surge. Seems like this one might be a little more traumatic than usual, but they should be alright afterwards.

Fangs was relieved. In the time he remembered he hadn't witnessed many memory flashes and the few he'd seen hadn't been this dramatic, but Guiding seemed to know how to deal with the situation, and that was good enough.

He wondered what it'd feel like to relive a memory. This one didn't look too comfortable from an outsider perspective. He noticed their eyes, which were glowng brighter than usual - it was especially noticeable on a lost spirit - and were a color he didn't recognize. It was strange, seeing a bit of a world he wasn't familiar with. Had others always been familiar with that color? Had he seen that color too, before he got lost? What color did his eyes flash back then? He'd have to ask Guiding later, not that her answer would enlighten him much, since it would only be a word with no visual refrence for him.

9 hours ago, Andromeda_ said:

(also, quick question: is it possible for these nichelings to be remembered? if they can, what happens if they are?)

(Oh, um... pretend I had this though out and didn't just come up with this on the spot! (I actually did have something planned for this but I'll try to explain it in the least spoilery way I can.))

So, basically,everything leaves a trace. For an outsider who once knew a forgotten nicheling some things will just not add up. Wether they investigate further depends on how much this personally bothers them or their community. For example, a nicheling who's had children but can't remember with who, it might be quite obvious that someone is missing.

Then it's a matter of searching for reminders to confirm who they're looking for and finding a way here. One could consult a spirit/god or attempt to forget enough for them to be sent here. It's a very risky process. After that they need to find who they're looking for and get to know them again. A nicheling needs to know their name to be able to leave this place.

• Like 1
  • Eek! 1
  • Paw up 1

20 hours ago, Liljatonttu said:

Fangs stared at the shaking spirit, unsure what to do.

"Look a what you did! You shouldn't have just said it like that, now they're having an episode of some sort!"

Guiding leaned a little closer, and Fangs was almost worried she'd get poked by their shaking spikes.

-Sorry, sorry. Are you alright?

Once she seemed to have gotten a good look at them, she stood back up in a more relaxed position.

-It's okay. They're just having a memory surge. Seems like this one might be a little more traumatic than usual, but they should be alright afterwards.

Fangs was relieved. In the time he remembered he hadn't witnessed many memory flashes and the few he'd seen hadn't been this dramatic, but Guiding seemed to know how to deal with the situation, and that was good enough.

He wondered what it'd feel like to relive a memory. This one didn't look too comfortable from an outsider perspective. He noticed their eyes, which were glowng brighter than usual - it was especially noticeable on a lost spirit - and were a color he didn't recognize. It was strange, seeing a bit of a world he wasn't familiar with. Had others always been familiar with that color? Had he seen that color too, before he got lost? What color did his eyes flash back then? He'd have to ask Guiding later, not that her answer would enlighten him much, since it would only be a word with no visual refrence for him.

When the flashback was over the spirit blinked. Seeing the shadows were slightly freaked out, they said, "Sorry, uh, I'm sorry, what did I do?"

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chiyanna said:

When the flashback was over the spirit blinked. Seeing the shadows were slightly freaked out, they said, "Sorry, uh, I'm sorry, what did I do?"

-You just fell and were just shaking for a moment. It's normal with more traumatic memories, so nothing to worry about

"What did you see?"

20 hours ago, Liljatonttu said:

-You just fell and were just shaking for a moment. It's normal with more traumatic memories, so nothing to worry about

"What did you see?"

"Not saw, felt. I was dead...no...I was death."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chiyanna said:

"Not saw, felt. I was dead...no...I was death."

Fangs went quiet, not knowing what to say. Luckily, Guiding seemed to have come out of her shell and was handling the situation.

-Whatever you mean by that, it's over now, you're safe here. Nothing can hurt you anymore.

There was something in her tone that surprised Fangs. He was sure he'd never heard it before, yet it evoked something in him. A familiar sense of safety, long forgotten.

3 hours ago, YourLocalStranger said:

I think CATFISHPARTY is lost in the void 😔😔😔😔

(im so sorry i completely forgot i was a part of this. no one was interacting with my character so i figured yall had your own plans lol- )

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Liljatonttu said:

Fangs went quiet, not knowing what to say. Luckily, Guiding seemed to have come out of her shell and was handling the situation.

-Whatever you mean by that, it's over now, you're safe here. Nothing can hurt you anymore.

There was something in her tone that surprised Fangs. He was sure he'd never heard it before, yet it evoked something in him. A familiar sense of safety, long forgotten.

"O-K," said the spirit. Calming down, "That's good. I don't want to go through that again." And yet....they couldn't stop thinking about that voice. And the little bit of blurry color they had seen with the world spinning around them. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chiyanna said:

"O-K," said the spirit. Calming down, "That's good. I don't want to go through that again." And yet....they couldn't stop thinking about that voice. And the little bit of blurry color they had seen with the world spinning around them. 

Guiding sat down next to the spirit, offering some words of comfort, Fangs assumed. He knew he wasn't going to be much help in this situation and decided to give them space instead. He gazed at the group of newcomers and thought about approaching them, but then decided that he, too, needed some space.

That color wouldn't leave his mind. He looked around and tried to imagine various things in it. What if grass looked like that? Or a bush? The sky even? No, surely that couldn't be right. And it was way too dark for any of his imaginings to work, since the color had been glowing.

Guiding's tone bothered him as well. She'd never spoken like that around him, yet it felt familiar. Sure, she'd been caring and worried when he'd wandered back home in his mindless state, but now there was something so comforting in her voice, like she was speaking to a... a... a what? Something fragile, vulnerable that needed protection.

Had he ever needed protection? When had he ever been so weak? Even in his lost state there was never anything that could hurt him. Unless... it was something from his life?

He didn't like thinking about it. It was all very confusing and just gave him a headache. Why long for something he had no recollection of? He was perfectly happy here, with everything he could ever need. For all he knew, this was better than life could ever be. From what others had told him, it was all full of danger and misery.

It must be terrible for them, to have that need to remember. I'm lucky to be free of that pointless struggle.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2022 at 1:11 PM, Andromeda_ said:

He calmed down a bit and looked at the ground. "Sorry." he curled his fluffy stinky tail around him. These nichelings will probably betray me. I remember something about betrayal....but what was it?

On 12/30/2022 at 8:45 PM, YourLocalStranger said:

'It's alright!' he grinned. 'I get like that too sometimes. Or do I... ? Can't remember.' He muttered that last part, glancing back down at his paw. 

(kind of waiting for CATFISHPARTY now) 

The spirit glanced back at the others. The nervous one was being comforted by guiding, while Venom snout guy was off by himself. The larger one was still beside him, looking at the ground. So is this everyone? Or are there more people who have forgotten? 

Though he hated to say it, no one here was exactly useful in making him remember. Maybe if he ventured further into the swamp,he would find something. But not by himself, obviously. 

'Hey, big guy, you wanna go and explore the swamp with me?' the larger nicheling seemed kind of gruff, but the spirit didn't mind him. He was alright company once you got used to him. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, YourLocalStranger said:

The spirit glanced back at the others. The nervous one was being comforted by guiding, while Venom snout guy was off by himself. The larger one was still beside him, looking at the ground. So is this everyone? Or are there more people who have forgotten? 

Though he hated to say it, no one here was exactly useful in making him remember. Maybe if he ventured further into the swamp,he would find something. But not by himself, obviously. 

'Hey, big guy, you wanna go and explore the swamp with me?' the larger nicheling seemed kind of gruff, but the spirit didn't mind him. He was alright company once you got used to him. 

(sorry i was asleep) 

He paused. "...Ok." He was still wary of this nicheling, but at least he could fight them off if they did betray him. And plus, he might discover more about himself.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Andromeda_ said:

(sorry i was asleep) 

He paused. "...Ok." He was still wary of this nicheling, but at least he could fight them off if they did betray him. And plus, he might discover more about himself.

'Great!' the spirit chirped, and started walking into the swamp. In there, there were at least some landmarks, but out in the fog there was nothing. He shuddered to think what might happen if he got lost. He walked past a lot of boring things, and encountered no one. A couple of bugs flew by, but everytime he tried to swat them, his paw passed through them as if they were made of air. He finally reached a stream. The water was dark, and very cold, he shuddered as he put his paw in. Suddenly his mind seemed somewhere else. 

There was someone in front of him. Why were they so fuzzy? Why couldn't he remember? The nicheling laughed. Everything felt so bright. The stream was a bright blue now. 

'Well come on then, stupid!' the nicheling teased. They started running off down the stream. 

'Coming!' another nicheling said. It sounded exactly like him. Was it him? 

'W-wait! Come back!' he called, his voice pleading. He tried to run after this strange memory, down the stream, but it got further and further away. The laughing started to fade, the brightness leaving. 

'Please!' despair started to creep into his voice. He tripped and fell, and landed in the muddy part of the stream. The memory faded. He cursed loudly getting up and glaring at his paw. Stupid. The anger filled him. Why couldn't he catch up? He was left with more questions than he started with. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YourLocalStranger said:

'Great!' the spirit chirped, and started walking into the swamp. In there, there were at least some landmarks, but out in the fog there was nothing. He shuddered to think what might happen if he got lost. He walked past a lot of boring things, and encountered no one. A couple of bugs flew by, but everytime he tried to swat them, his paw passed through them as if they were made of air. He finally reached a stream. The water was dark, and very cold, he shuddered as he put his paw in. Suddenly his mind seemed somewhere else. 

There was someone in front of him. Why were they so fuzzy? Why couldn't he remember? The nicheling laughed. Everything felt so bright. The stream was a bright blue now. 

'Well come on then, stupid!' the nicheling teased. They started running off down the stream. 

'Coming!' another nicheling said. It sounded exactly like him. Was it him? 

'W-wait! Come back!' he called, his voice pleading. He tried to run after this strange memory, down the stream, but it got further and further away. The laughing started to fade, the brightness leaving. 

'Please!' despair started to creep into his voice. He tripped and fell, and landed in the muddy part of the stream. The memory faded. He cursed loudly getting up and glaring at his paw. Stupid. The anger filled him. Why couldn't he catch up? He was left with more questions than he started with. 

He made his way towards the nicheling. "Where were you going?" He asked. "Did you see something?" Suddenly, he stumbled and his paw fell into the water. It felt...cold. He shuddered. 

A flash of memory appeared. His eyes flashed blue. 

White stuff....all around him. It was really cold. He was very small. Other small nichelings next to him, with huge fangs just like him. Siblings? 

A large nicheling was near them. She had huge fangs too. She looked upset. "I'm sorry my little ones, but I have to leave you here. If I were to keep you, the tribe would exile me." Tears started welling up in her eyes. "I love you so much. Just remember one important thing: Don't trust anyone." The nicheling swiftly left. 

"Mommy?" He called out. But she was gone. 

The memory faded. His eyes flashed back to white. Don't trust anyone....

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Liljatonttu said:

Guiding sat down next to the spirit, offering some words of comfort, Fangs assumed. He knew he wasn't going to be much help in this situation and decided to give them space instead. He gazed at the group of newcomers and thought about approaching them, but then decided that he, too, needed some space.

That color wouldn't leave his mind. He looked around and tried to imagine various things in it. What if grass looked like that? Or a bush? The sky even? No, surely that couldn't be right. And it was way too dark for any of his imaginings to work, since the color had been glowing.

Guiding's tone bothered him as well. She'd never spoken like that around him, yet it felt familiar. Sure, she'd been caring and worried when he'd wandered back home in his mindless state, but now there was something so comforting in her voice, like she was speaking to a... a... a what? Something fragile, vulnerable that needed protection.

Had he ever needed protection? When had he ever been so weak? Even in his lost state there was never anything that could hurt him. Unless... it was something from his life?

He didn't like thinking about it. It was all very confusing and just gave him a headache. Why long for something he had no recollection of? He was perfectly happy here, with everything he could ever need. For all he knew, this was better than life could ever be. From what others had told him, it was all full of danger and misery.

It must be terrible for them, to have that need to remember. I'm lucky to be free of that pointless struggle.

As the spirit talked to Guiding, they recognized something in their voice, "Your...voice. It's higher. Comforting. It's like the...remember voice. Different from mine. Different from the other shadows'. Except the swimming-tail one."

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chiyanna said:

As the spirit talked to Guiding, they recognized something in their voice, "Your...voice. It's higher. Comforting. It's like the...remember voice. Different from mine. Different from the other shadows'. Except the swimming-tail one."

-Oh? I haven't really paid attention to that.

She realised she'd talked to them like she'd talk to a scared child. That soured her mood.

I can't even remember my own children. No wonder my mate would forget about me.

25 minutes ago, Liljatonttu said:

-Oh? I haven't really paid attention to that.

She realised she'd talked to them like she'd talk to a scared child. That soured her mood.

I can't even remember my own children. No wonder my mate would forget about me.

Suddenly, they had another flash. 

"It's a girl," said somebody. 

"Can I see?"

"Sure little one, look at your new baby sister."

He saw a very small reddish nicheling, who had a wide face. Unfortunately her head reminded him of... 

"She looks just like me," said a pleased older sibling beside him. 

"Does not!"

"Does too! Look at that wide head for cracking nuts. This is gonna be so fun to have a little sister!" 

"I hope she's not exactly like you," he grumbled under his breath. "But she is colored like me! Nice and red."

"You're not red!" She protested, "you're brown!" She said with a smirk.

"Cut it out, both of you!" The bigger nicheling said, licking them both on the head. Her tounge easily glided over his sister's head,  making her annoyed. But it got caught for a second on his mane, which caused her to smirk at him. He made a menacing face back as his mother washed and straightened it. 

"I'll always love all three of you, equally. It makes me sad to see you fighting like this."

"I'm sorry, mother," said the orange one with that disgusting puppy-dog look. 

"Say it to your brother," she commanded. 

"I'm sorry, can you ever forgive me?" She had even worked up tears. 

His mother was looking at him with eyes that went straight to his soul. "Sorry," he muttered, "yeah alright I forgive you."

"Yay!" She said,  jumping up, "Tell me a story mother, please."

"Yeah a story would be nice," he admitted.

"Alright," and so their mother began a story.

And then...the spirit was back again. Their eyes had flashed black while they had the memory.

• Like 1

Just now, Chiyanna said:

Suddenly, they had another flash. 

"It's a girl," said somebody. 

"Can I see?"

"Sure little one, look at your new baby sister."

He saw a very small reddish nicheling, who had a wide face. Unfortunately her head reminded him of... 

"She looks just like me," said a pleased older sibling beside him. 

"Does not!"

"Does too! Look at that wide head for cracking nuts. This is gonna be so fun to have a little sister!" 

"I hope she's not exactly like you," he grumbled under his breath. "But she is colored like me! Nice and red."

"You're not red!" She protested, "you're brown!" She said with a smirk.

"Cut it out, both of you!" The bigger nicheling said, licking them both on the head. Her tounge easily glided over his sister's head,  making her annoyed. But it got caught for a second on his mane, which caused her to smirk at him. He made a menacing face back as his mother washed and straightened it. 

"I'll always love all three of you, equally. It makes me sad to see you fighting like this."

"I'm sorry, mother," said the orange one with that disgusting puppy-dog look. 

"Say it to your brother," she commanded. 

"I'm sorry, can you ever forgive me?" She had even worked up tears. 

His mother was looking at him with eyes that went straight to his soul. "Sorry," he muttered, "yeah alright I forgive you."

"Yay!" She said,  jumping up, "Tell me a story mother, please."

"Yeah a story would be nice," he admitted.

"Alright," and so their mother began a story.

And then...the spirit was back again. Their eyes had flashed black while they had the memory.

(Sorry about the colors btw, 

Without names colors is kinda the way I differentiate characters when I write, but though the flashback character knows colors and things, my character now may not and will have to sort through this memory with what they do know. They will for sure know things they didn't before, but maybe only certain things they will take from this and eventually forget the rest) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chiyanna said:

(Sorry about the colors btw, 

Without names colors is kinda the way I differentiate characters when I write, but though the flashback character knows colors and things, my character now may not and will have to sort through this memory with what they do know. They will for sure know things they didn't before, but maybe only certain things they will take from this and eventually forget the rest) 

(Don't worry about it, it's not an issue! These things vary from nicheling to nicheling anyways :))

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Andromeda_ said:

He made his way towards the nicheling. "Where were you going?" He asked. "Did you see something?" Suddenly, he stumbled and his paw fell into the water. It felt...cold. He shuddered. 

A flash of memory appeared. His eyes flashed blue. 

White stuff....all around him. It was really cold. He was very small. Other small nichelings next to him, with huge fangs just like him. Siblings? 

A large nicheling was near them. She had huge fangs too. She looked upset. "I'm sorry my little ones, but I have to leave you here. If I were to keep you, the tribe would exile me." Tears started welling up in her eyes. "I love you so much. Just remember one important thing: Don't trust anyone." The nicheling swiftly left. 

"Mommy?" He called out. But she was gone. 

The memory faded. His eyes flashed back to white. Don't trust anyone....

He pulled himself out of the water. The large nichelings eyes had flashed to blue for a second, but his own eyes were a faint yellow when he looked at his reflection in the stream. He remembered the other nichelings smile, the bright sun, the shimmer of the water... He shook himself off and turned to look at the nicheling with him. For some reason he didn't want to say anything about his memory. Not yet. 

'Yeah, it was nothing. I thought I saw another forgotten nicheling like us, but I was wrong. This place almost makes you see things, eh?' he lied. The lie came easily, and it filled him with another worry: had he been a liar when he was alive? He was always so convinced he had been a good nicheling, forgotten by accident. What if he was forgotten because nobody cared about him? Or worse, hated him? He shoved the thoughts away for a moment. I was a good nicheling. I did good things. 

'You alright?' he asked softly. The big nichelings eyes were white again, but still had a faint blue tinge to them. 

• Like 1