Stray Fawn Community

What are you using gems for?

gimmepanda

• 2 weeks later...

I use them for a couple things depending on my mood and how I am playing the game. When I am playing fast paced not bothering to name creatures just playing to play with no attachment to the nichelings I use them to mark "disabilities". This meaning,, I identify the three worst traits in my tribe at that moment and I give each creature that has on of those traits a red gem for each one. If a creature has one or no red gems they can breed and if they have two or more red gems they cannot unless absolutely necessary. Once my nichelings reach a point where their genes are no longer heavily affected by the original three I reset gems back to green and pick three more genes I do not want and remark creatures according to what genes they have proceeding with the 1 or less can breed 2 or more cannot.

When I am playing with attachment to my creatures/building a small story around them I use colors to mark breeding pairs leaving one color for the non breeders. This allows me to remember their "mates" and reminds me of who has genes I don't want...It makes for less straightforward genetics, but it's nice to have dedicated couples in the game sometimes.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I use gems differently depending on my safe files and challenges.

On my Story Mode file, I mark nichelings who have Home Island Immunity with the orange gem to symbolize Adam. That way I can make sure I don't run out of nichelings in Adam's bloodline. I also mark breeding pairs.

On my Kingdoms file, I have five separate kingdoms, each with their own gem colors:

Blue = Classic Kingdom [leadership passed through fathers]

Blue eyes, digger paw, velvet paw, antlers, short snout, normal ears, medium body, fluffy tail, normal hind legs.

Green = Pacifistic Kingdom [no true leadership; everyone gets along]

Green eyes, double gather paw, poison fangs, round ears, spiky body, spots, normal hind legs.

Yellow = Justice Kingdom [they go after the trouble-makers and carnivores and don't like hybrids. Leader is the eldest.]

Yellow eyes, double runner legs, ram horns, cracker jaw, round ears, big body, hammer tail, normal hind legs.

Orange = Hybrid Kingdom [all are prey to them. The 'mother and father' of the kingdom run it together. They have two body types.]

Orange eyes, double bearyena legs, bearyena snout, big ears, lean body, stripes, fishing tail, bearyena hind legs.

Orange eyes, double bearyena legs, bearyena snout, big ears, water body, stripes, swimming tail, bearyena hind legs.

Pink = Amazonian Kingdom [Leadership passed on to whoever is the strongest and most beautiful.]

Violet eyes, double claws, megaloceros horns, sabertooth fangs, bearyena ears, toxic body, mask, stinky tail, normal hind legs.

Then of course there's the typical "markings for what they do" in other files in which I give gatherers green gems, scouts yellow gems, warriors pink gems, protectors orange gems, and fishers blue gems.

Though sometimes I like to mix it up and I give nichelings gem colors that blend in best with their fur colors!

When I do the Luck Challenge, all that is thrown out the window, because the dice choose the colors for me xD

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

In my current game (I started late, so it's just the one :P), the markings I give them are based on location as well as color:

Blue on the left: Home Island Immunity

Red on the right: carrying undesirable/unusable genetics (lame paw, sterile, etc.)

Pink in the center: candidate for leaving island

Gold in the center: Community leaders

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I use gems to mark who's carrying the Home Island immunity gene and to mark animals that aren't good candidates for breeding so I don't mix up bad genes with my healthy animals. I also use them to mark the healthiest animals in my tribe so I can easily choose individuals to bring to the next islands / breed.

Occasionally, if I don't have many animals with a certain immunity gene, I'll mark them so I can make sure that I'll eventually pass down the least common immunity genes so i can have a wide variety in my tribes.

I usually mark ranks with them and the home island immunity or other special traits if I consider a trait special :) On occasion I mark breeding pairs but that is kind of rare

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Green: Forgot to mark/Berry gatherer/Nut gatherer

Red: Nonbreeder/Fighter/Hunter

I also use red gems to mark the ammount of babies a creature has had in my three times a try challenge

Blue: Water creature/Seer/Going to next island/Beautiful/Good genes

Pink: Breeder

Yellow: Hunter/Scout/Just for fun

And sometimes they just match fur colour

I mark my breeding duo with matching gems. Everyone who's not a breeding pair gets default green. Breeding pairs that have given a breeding pair of children get the two outer gems turned green and the middle one stays the old colour.