Stray Fawn Community

Leaving the Oasis (Ember oc backstory)

BirbMonster

Once again, a project to write the backstory of a My Singing Monsters oc. I actually FINISHED the last one???? I'm still suprised I actually did that. I'd never finished a story with multiple chapters before, so I'm really rpoud of myself. 

Chapter 1

The glass of Fire Oasis glinted in the sunlight. For some, it was too bright to even look at, but for the monsters here, it was their home. They were used to it. It was perfect.

Ember sat on the edge of the island, staring across the ocean. As a Kayna, she had to be cautious of the water. It could hurt her. Kill her, even. But as long as she was safe up here, it was all ok. She was not afraid.

The song for today had just finished. After that crowd she needed a bit of time away. It was nice to sit here. Sometimes, she would sing alone, blissfully humming to herself as she sat peacefully and watched the waves. 

Suddenly, Ember noticed something drifting on the horizon. A sinister-looking boat, slowly advancing. 

Could it be the Collosingum ship, looking for those who could manifest the elements? No, it did not bear the signature crest of two crossed notes. It bore a very different, darker one. It resembled the skull of a Glowl, split in half and filled with coins. She squinted to look at the monsters on the boat. There were water monsters of all kinds. Phanglers, Oaktopuses, Toe Jammers. The ones that stood out most were a scarred Rare Thrumble manning the sails, and a large, well-muscled Shellbeat, barking orders that were inaudible from where Ember stood. It was rather obvious that these monsters were, most likely, the pirates that her mother once told stories about. 

She had to warn the others. But it was already very close to the other shore, the one lower down. It could be dangerous for her there. She could easily end up slipping into the water, as waves crashed constantly against it. 

She could still make it there in time. 

Running as fast as her legs could carry her, Ember sprinted through the glass forest, yelling at the top of her lungs. “Everyone! There’s- this boat- and- they have- weapons-“

She panted from exhaustion as she reached the lower shore.

“There’s what?” a Maw asked, confused. 

“I saw this ship on the horizon! It’s got a creepy flag and it’s full of water monsters with weapons! Look!” she pointed at the ship, which was already approaching fast. The voices of the pirates could now be heard, as they slipped into the water to finish the journey swimming. 

“OK, OK!” a Wynq piped up. “GET INLAND, KAYNA! DON’T BE SO CLOSE TO THE WATER, IT COULD BE-“

The Wynq was cut off when the Rare Thrumble from before suddenly scuttled in behind them, holding a cutlass in front of their eye. 

“Don’t move a muscle! We’re taking all yer best blowglass! Any valuables ye all have, hand them over or this Wynq will never wink again!”

More and more of the pirates slid ominously out of the water, running up to shore and holding monsters at the points of their weapons. 

Lastly, the Shellbeat at the lead of the ship slid out. 

Ember tried to run, knowing she could be the next to be grabbed. But instead, she stumbled over a rock, rolling helplessly down slippery glass. 

“Someone grab that Kayna!” The Shellbeat yelled. In the 5 seconds that Ember was stumbling to her feet, the Shellbeat himself was already charging for her. “What?” he grumbled. “Afraid of burning your hands?”

He lifted her by the shoulders. She tried to squirm free, but it was no use. Without saying a word, he dragged her towards the water. 

“LET ME GO!” She yelled in horror. “No, no, NO!”

Even the heads of the pirates turned to see what their capitan was going to do. 

“Never really liked Kaynas,” he grumbled, gesturing slightly to a burn down the side of his leg. “You don’t know one named Vesuvius, by any chance,”

Was that the name of her father? “No, I don’t!” She lied. “Now please, let me go, away from the water!”
He did not say a word. There were several seconds of silence. 

And then, without a note of warning, Ember was plunged into the water, pain immediately searing through her body. Her left arm was fully submerged. She swiped at her attacker with whatever limbs she had free, trying to heat them up as much as possible. But it wasn’t possible when she was submerged like this. She tried crying for help, wondering why nobody was doing anything at all. 

Suddenly, as she managed to fully lift her head for just a second, a huge ball of lava slammed directly into the Shellbeat’s face. He let go of Ember, flying backwards several metres into the ocean. 

Ember looked back to see who had saved her. A row of Sneysers stood on the shoreline, snouts raised and launching lava at the pirates. 

Ember didn’t need to be told twice to leave the water. She trudged through, trying to ignore the pain. Even when she was fully on dry land, it still hurt more than anything she’d felt in her life, especially her arm. Her vision was blurry from the drops around her eyes. 

Concerned monsters began gathering around her, trying to talk to her, but she could barely make out their words. 

She felt her consciousness slip away as her head hit the ground.

• Love 1

Chapter 2

Ember’s eyes flickered slowly open. She could hear muffled voices and approaching footsteps.

“Yes, I checked. She’ll probably heal, for the most part. I’m a bit worried about her arm though…”

“Indeed. It's likely she’ll never be able to move it again, or-” 

Suddenly, the silhouettes of a Pango and a Sneyser emerged from a door nearby. “Oh! Ember! You’re finally awake!”

She recognised the Pango. His name was Aric. He was a good friend of Ember’s, and worked as a doctor. She finally realised that she was in the hospital. 

“Wh-what happened?”

“Do you remember anything?” Aric asked, taking a few notes.

“Well, there was…” she suddenly remembered when the pirates attacked… the pain and fear of being submerged…

“Are you ok?”

Ember realised how much she’d just panicked there.

“Yes, yes, I’m fine..” she said. She didn’t want to look down at her injuries. She’d heard what they were talking about earlier. 

“Ok, good. Yellowstone, keep her warm. I’ll go tell her family that she’s going to live,”

The Sneyser sat down by Ember, pointing her snout to keep her warm. The constant flow of heat eased the pain a little, and Ember felt a tiny bit more at peace. 

Yellowstone was completely silent, yet a rather worried expression was stuck on her face.

She didn’t know how long it had been, but eventually, her parents entered the room.

Her mother, a bright-eyed and sleek Rare Pango, approached worriedly, chattering her beak in concern. 

“Oh Ember, you poor thing, what happened to you, we were on the other side of the island during the attack,  we’re so sorry-“

“Calm down, Icicle. She’s alive and we’re together. That’s what counts,” her father said. He was a Kayna like her. She remembered the Shellbeat, how he’d mentioned a Kayna named Vesuvius.

“Dad?”

“Yes, dear?”

“The Shellbeat in the crew talked about a Kayna named Vesuvius. Did that have anything to do with you?”

“Oh… a Shellbeat, huh? Well, I’ve never really Shellbeat, none live anywhere near the Fire Islands…”

Icicle shot him a small, annoyed glance. “Tell the truth,”

“Ok, fine. When I lived on Light Island, Caribbean’s crew attacked. I was the one who fought them off. I sank his old ship by lighting the sails on fire, and burnt his leg. Heard he hasn’t been a big fan of even the Fire class in general since then. Only keeps the ones he deems useful around,”

“Dad, how come you’ve ever told me this? You fought him off and I…”

She looked down at her injuries. Most of her body was darker than it had been before, with some patches along her sides having a clear difference and feeling extremely stiff. Her arm, the one that had been completely submerged, was the worst off. It was completely wrapped in bandages, not as if that would help the healing process, if that was even going to happen, but to hide the severity of the injury from Ember. Through a small crack where the bandage had slid down, she could see that her arm was completely black, like recently cooled obsidian.

She began to cry. She’d never even come close to being hurt like this before, but now…

Her father placed one hand on her less damaged shoulder, doing his best to comfort her. “Calm down, it's all going to be alright,”. But Ember had already heard what Yellowstone and Aric were saying. All she had was hope. 

• Love 2

• 2 weeks later...

Healing had been hard, but Ember was finally able to leave the hospital. For the past two weeks she’d listened to the songs outside, joining in as well as she could through her tears, despite the fact that nobody would ever make out her voice through the thick walls.

Her parents had modified her lectern, so that it would better hold down the paper she wrote on, with her arm now completely paralysed. Ember worked as a writer. Her books weren’t the most popular, and she preferred to remain anonymous and use “Lahar” as her pseudo-name, but it was a great job to have.

Aric stood by her side, easing her on. 

“You’ve healed well. You can finally live your life again,”

She couldn’t say the same for herself. Wouldn’t it be hard to live if her arm could hardly move? But she said nothing, and carried on towards the door.

It took a second or two to readjust to the sunlight. But it felt good to be out again. 

Her family was waiting outside, not only her parents, but her younger siblings- her brother, Molysite, a Kayna like her, and her sister, Cheviot the Woolabee. 

“Yo! Ember! Hi!” said Cheviot, excitedly bounding toward her. She hugged her. 

“Cheviot! Stop! It still hurts!”

Molysite, in turn, waved and said nothing but an awkward “Hi. I’m… gład you’re ok,”

“Why don’t we take a walk? Like we always did when you were all younger. You loved those, didn’t you, Ember?”

“Well,” she said, remembering all the things she used to do with her family as a kid. “I suppose it would be a good way to see the island again,”

“I’ll come too, if you don’t mind that,” said Aric, hopping beside Ember’s family.

It was very nice to properly spend time with everyone again. A passing Whaddle exchanged a weird glance with her. She was expecting this. Scars of any kind weren’t common in the monster world. It was rare for any sort of fighting, or any other cause for a serious injury, to break out. The Whaddle in question must not have been on the shore during the attack, away and unharmed.

But the fact that her family was by her side calmed her. 

Eventually, they came quite close to the island’s edge.

Ember glanced to the left, staring once again at the vast ocean. But this time, the rippling teal expanse felt different somehow. She tried to remember how ok it was when she just stared peacefully across it. But all she could think of was the fear and pain, when Carribean shoved her into the water, the unnerving sizzle of her own limbs…

“Ummm, Ember?” Aric placed one hand on her uninjured shoulder. “Are you ok? You were hyperventilating there,”

“GET ME AWAY FROM THE WATER-”

“It’s not like you’re going to fall in, chill,” said Cheviot, unhelpfully. 

“Quiet, you didn’t see what happened to her,” Vesuvius said. “Come on, if you want to get away, we can,”

She turned away, wafting away the smoke and sparks gathering around her head. 

Later, when the family had walked everywhere that wasn’t near the water, she sat alone, not on the cliffside again, of course.

Aric calmly walked up in front of her and sat down next to her. “Good evening,” he said. “Feeling better?”

“Yep,” she said, her head still down, lost in thought.

“Are you sure? You look upset. And it seems as if you had a panic attack back there,”

“I…I don’t want to see the water ever again,” she said, burying her face in her hands. “No matter what I just can’t stop thinking about… the…”

“Take a deep breath, Ember. If you don’t want to talk about it, you don’t have to,”

She sighed and finally managed to take the words out of her mouth.

“I think I’ve decided, Aric. I’ve kind of wanted to before and you know that… but I’m leaving Fire Oasis,”

• Eek! 1
  • Love 1

“Are you sure you want to do this?”

She was surrounded by her whole family, and Aric standing by her side. A hot-air balloon was parked behind her, with a Floogull sitting inside, ready to take her to what would soon be her new home. 

“Yes, of course, I told you all, I’ve already decided. I’m… I’ll miss you all. A lot,”

“And we’ll miss you, dear,” Icicle commented, gently wrapping her feathered arms around Ember.

“We’ll write you letters,” Aric mentioned. “As often as possible,”

“Bye,” Molysite said quietly. “I’ll also miss you, sis,”

“Don’t worry, Mol. You could always visit,”

Ember flipped around when she heard the impatient doot of the Floogull sitting inside the hot-air balloon. “Oh come on, are we leaving already?”

Aric whispered into Ember’s ear. “I know that guy. We used to be friends. Don’t listen to him. He’s nosy and annoying,”

“K. Got it,”

"Bye!" Cheviot cried out last-minute, waving and jumping aggressivley as if she was happy to see her leave.

Waving goodbye, she stepped into the small basket as the balloon lifted up into the sky. She sat, leaning on the edge and looking down. They’d be flying over the ocean now. 

“Wonderful day, isn’t it, Kayna? My name’s Miles, what about you?” 

She said nothing, continuing to simply stare at the floor.

“You’re moving to Haven, aren’t you? Incredible! I live there too! Will be glad to see you around! Why are you moving?”

She shuffled awkwardly, trying to hint at the fact she didn’t want to talk to him.

“What happened to your arm? And your eye looks so dim,”

“I don’t want to talk,”

“Awww, come on! Come out of your shell,”

“I said, I don’t want to talk,”

Miles sighed and turned back to the ropes, gently guiding the vehicle up into the sky and away from Fire Oasis. 

Reculantly, she peeked over and looked down at her home, trying to ignore the ocean surrounding it. It looked so small, yet so large and impressive. How had something like this been literally built from scratch?

She quickly dropped back down onto the ground, once again seeing the water and remembering what happened.

“Scared of heights, huh? You know, I think I heard from someone that Kaynas are impervious to falls, or something like that,”

“It’s water, genius,”

“Ah. I see. Not like you’ll even fall in anyways,”

She gritted her teeth through his words, but stayed silent. If she explained, he’d be even more annoying about it. 

“Hey, you know, in Fire Haven’s song, our species do sing together! Come on, join in!”

He started playing the loud, brassy sound of a Floogull. She stayed silent, simply listening to the new tune.

He paused and looked at her again, “Oh, why aren’t you joining in?”

“I don’t even know the part! Will you please stop talking?” 

“Why?”

“GARH! You know, if you make me any angrier, I will probably burn this thing down and kill both of us,”

“That’s awful, why would you do that?!”

Trying to keep her cool, literally, she stayed silent and took a deep breath. Miles grumbled angrily, then went back to focusing on piloting as he muttered something about annoyance. 

“Oh look, Kayna who refuses to tell me her name! We’re here!”

She peeked nervously over the edge again. A towering volcano reached majestically out from the ocean, slowly spewing smoke from its mouth. 

“Fire Haven is in there. I have to be careful flying in. If I lose another balloon, I’ll lose my job,”

She stared at him in horror, but decided it was best to not say anything.

“Joking! Hah! I’m so funny, aren’t I?”

No, she thought. I’m glad I’m getting off soon. And I hope I won’t run into you again.

“Heavens of Attmoz, you’re an angry one, aren’t you?” 

I’m angry because of you, she thought as the balloon drifted awkwardly down through the small opening.

Now knowing there would be no water here, she stood up and looked around at the orange, candlelit landscape. 

“Woah,” she muttered, looking around at the hefty brick buildings set around the castle, clearly outlined with black iron and tipped with more candles. Monsters ran around to clear space for the balloon’s landing, several younger ones excitedly crying out to their parents over it, innocent and excited about everyday things.

“Well, we’re here!” Miles blurted excitedly. “You do whatever. I’ll go have lunch! See you!”

“Don’t worry, I won’t,”

“Oh you!”

“That’s enough, Miles,” a low and calm voice said from the crowd. Somehow, Miles immidietley went silent to this.

A massive, blue Tring with rounded crystals and gigantic horns stepped out of the crowd. Several monsters bowed politely as he came forwards.

Ember stared up in sheer awe. She’d never met a Tring before, let alone even heard of one who looked like this. 

“Welcome to Fire Haven,” he said calmly, hardly a hint of emotion in his voice. He glanced briefly at her scars, then continued without acknowledging them. “My name is Tiberius, I run things around here. If you go to the castle, go to the front desk and you’ll be assigned a room. I’m a bit of a busy monster, so goodbye,” Tiberius ended with a slightly angrier tone, then turned and walked off.

She stared at him curiously. But she just wanted to unpack somewhere already. So perhaps it was best to ask someone about him on the way, when she got to the desk he mentioned. 

When she entered the castle, she looked around curiously at the interior. It was decorated mostly with odd statues of long-extinct critters, many of the statues themselves clearly hundreds of years old and worn down. 

The main corridor of the castle was neatly lined with several desks, each labelled and packed with helpful items. Deliveries, News… and of course, the front desk, right next to the entrance, packed with drawers full of keys. Luckily, nobody else was around queueing. 

“Excuse me?” Ember asked the Flowah sitting at the desk.

“Ah! I’m Thorn, how could I help you today?”

“Well, I just moved here. Where am I staying?”

“Room 317, single-sized, ideal for your species,”

She grabbed the key from Thorn’s large, rough hands. 

“Also, uhhh…” she asked, pausing to find a way to word the question. “Who’s that Tiberius guy,”

“Oh, he runs things around here,”

“You have a leader?”

“Yep. He’s been leading veeeery long now, there’s almost a whole petition over him retiring. Only the oldest monsters can remember the times before he was. Like my mother, for example. She’s a Kayna like you. Very nice. But my Aunt tried to overthrow him,”

“Uhhh… good to know,” she left awkwardly, wondering how Thorn had the confidence to share all of that. Especially when they’d just met.

She walked off towards where 317 would probably be, stopping to ask a calm and tired-looking Noggin for directions. Everything was so organised here. Probably because of Tiberius. 

As she approached her own room’s door, she noticed some slight movement in the corner of her eye. Were those the wings of an Epic Kayna? She didn’t even know any were alive right now! But she wouldn’t stare. That would be rude, and besides, she was getting tired, after such a long flight with someone so annoying. She heard the clicking of hooves, the someone, the possible Epic, slowly leaving as entered her room. 

To her left, the bed was already placed against the wall. To her right, a table and two chairs, with cabinets ready for food and whatever else she needed. The rest of the walls were lined with a few shelves, waiting to be decorated and filled with her books and trinkets.

She let out a long, exhausted sigh, plopping her bag onto the floor and flopping on her bed, flinching as her scarred arm hit the wall. She’d unpack tomorrow. For now, it was better to just sleep.

Author's notes

• Miles my behated. 
  • Miles is based off a lot of things. Like my classmates always trying to talk to me when I want to be left alone, and all those "when the uber driver is trying to chat with you" memes. But a tad exaggerated.
  • Thorn is Caldera's niece, and also a bit of an oversharer, as you saw from the conversation. She's based a little bit of Sharon Tumuch, a character from the Cameron Geller Cinematic Universe.
  • Love 2

Ember trotted off in a random direction after the song had finished. Since it had been two days since she’d arrived here, it was a good idea to explore her new home more. She’d find her way back. As long as she didn’t go into the caves Tiberius had mentioned, I’d course. “Don’t go into the caves,” he’d said as he noticed her leaving. “If you do there’s no garuntee of you coming back,”

Like her old home, the forest looked artificial, but instead of colourful blown glass, it was made entirely of candle wax and slightly rusted black iron. 

As she walked, her feet sinking into soft wax, she heard a small noise near her. 

It sounded like… crying? 

She turned to find the source of the sound. 

Hunched over and sitting on, well, it seemed like it, for she could still hardly see out of one of her eyes, a cliff, another Kayna. The Epic from yesterday, her face buried in her hands, wings folded and covering her body.

She couldn’t just leave someone there to cry.

“Excuse me?” she asked as politely as possible.

The Epic let out a rumbling growl. “Leave me alone,”

Makes sense, she thought. Maybe I should’ve left her alone. It’s rude to ask strangers why they’re upset… 

“Ok. I… can leave if you want,”

Her voice softened suddenly as she turned towards Ember, revealing bright blue eyes and a beautiful face. 

“Hardly anyone ever says that,”

“What do you mean?”

“You just came here… or something, didn’t you?”

“Well… yeah, I did, why?”

“Because if you’d lived here for longer than a week, you would’ve shouted my name from a mile away then came following me,”

“I see. Should I go, then? I would want to be alone too,” 

“Yes, please. But I would like to see you again, once I feel a bit better. Here, same time tomorrow?”

“I mean…” Ember looked up and down at her, craning her head to look with her better eye. She would like to see her again. “Sure,”

“Alright. Thanks. See you soon… errr,”

“Oh, my name is Ember,” 

“Alright. Bye… sorry for keeping you here. I’m just glad to have someone who isn’t like… Miles, for example,”

“Thank you… bye,”

She awkwardly turned away, and trotted away quickly in the direction she assumed she’d come from. 

Oh my Galvana, that was awkward! Why did I agree? Why did she agree? I don’t even know her name yet! I forgot to ask because everyone usually says theirs first and asks me! 

Well, there was nothing else to do now. She’d get back to her room now. Work on writing a little, of course, she hadn’t done anything in days.

As she walked back to her room, a Tweedle, strapped with bags full of letters, suddenly stumbled in right next to her. He must’ve lived somewhere else, for his talons and beak were sweating from the heat of the lava below. 

“Good evening!” He yelled, talking loud and fast. “Are you Ember?”

“Uhh… yes?”

“Great. You’ve got mail,” he tossed a small letter to her, wrapped neatly in an envelope. 

She got inside and looked at it. It was from her family, they’d written already.

“Hi, Ember! We know you’re just moving, but you’d probably be settling in by the time this arrives. So, what’s Fire Haven like? Is everything going ok?”

It had been signed at the bottom by her whole family. 
Awww, they wrote this together. I should respond.

She pulled out a piece of paper from the drawer next to her bed. 

“Thanks for writing to me so early. Yes, it’s all going well. I like the song, my room is very cosy, and most monsters are kind. Did you know they have a leader here, of all of Fire Haven? This Tring named Tiberius. But he’s very old, so everyone tells me he’s retiring soon. I also think I’m already making a new friend…”

She paused writing, wondering if she should mention that she’d met an Epic. But it was best not to. She wouldn’t like that. It was the reason she was crying, and the best Ember could do was to just tell less monsters.

“So that’s all for now. I hope you guys are doing great too. Write to me again soon, ok?

-Ember”

Author’s notes:

-There’s no denying it, Lozfeaf is gonna scream so loud the Celestials will hear /j

-So, why does Scorch want to see Ember again so much? I don’t plan on including any POVs besides Ember’s. So the explination is here. Scorch doesn’t have any real friends her age. The only monster she really considers a friend who sees her as an equal is Tiberius, and that mostly happened because they’re both famous Epics, but with very different views on their own fame. Scorch just wants to bond with a friend normally, and she probably also isn’t sure how to make friends because everyone already knew who she was anyway. Notice how she never said her own name? All from being used to everyone knowing her anyway. 
-TLDR: Scorch wants a real friend, not more fans, and isn’t sure how to make friends properly.

-And maybe she also thinks Ember is hot (figuratively) who knows /j

• Eek! 1
  • Love 1

the yes

Ember polished her scales, getting ready to meet up with the Epic again. 

I don’t have to look THAT good, she’d thought as she started getting ready. This isn’t that important! It’s just someone I just met! But also first impressions matter and I want to impress her-

Ember paused. Why did she want to impress her? 

She didn’t have to. It would all be alright. 

She paused for just one skeptical minute, staring at her now-gleaming reflection. 

As she left her room again, she heard an annoyingly familiar voice. 

“Yo! It’s you again! How’s it cracking and stuff?”

No, not Miles again…

“Go away,”

“Aww, come on! Don’t be shy, I know you want a good friend like me deep down!”

She growled furiously, smoke billowing from her head.

“Sheesh, mad again for no reason, aren’t you?” 

Ember ignored him and tried to keep moving. Maybe if she stayed angry-looking and ignorant, he wouldn’t talk to her anymore. Hopefully. 

She eventually continued outside again, trying to look out for her. 

“Hey, psst,” a familiar voice said from above her.

Ember looked up to see the Epic Kayna perched elegantly on top of a tree, staring down at her with blazing eyes.

“Oh!” Ember said in surprise. “I wasn’t expecting you to be…”

“I always hide like this,” the Epic said, pride and happiness in her voice. “Sometimes, they don’t see me for days,”

“Is… is it why I didn’t notice you before?”

“Yep. I go out here all day, most of the time. Come back at night to eat and stuff,”

That’s concerning, Ember thought, while she made sure she worded her response as well as possible. What did they do to make you do this?

“Oh,” she awkwardly twiddled her fingers a bit. “That’s… a bit sad, actually,”

“I know. It’s good that you understand, though. I like you more than the others already. Wanna come up here?”

“No thanks,” Ember knew that she wouldn’t have the balance to stand like that. And even then, she would have to hold on with both hands.

“Ok,” the Epic jumped down, flapping her wings and spreading them like parachutes.

“Wait, did I tell you my name?”

“Uhhh, I don’t think you did,”

“Oh… sorry, I forgot to. I’m Scorch,”

“Wow, that suits you,”

“Heh, thanks. Also, why are you suddenly so orange?”

“W-wait, I am?”

Had she been blushing this whole time? Jeepers, how awkward… 

“No, don’t worry! You still look very nice,”

“So…” Scorch said, trying to change the subject as she walked off in a random direction. Ember followed, limping slightly, and Scorch slowed down. “What do you… like to do?”

The two walked off together in the forest, talking until the late evening. 

As she left, Ember realised the spark she was starting to have with Scorch. The two simply understood each other. 

Maybe, just perhaps… She thought as her mind energetically drifted around like leaves in the wind. 

No! I don’t! I can’t have a crush on her! We just met yesterday! We’re friends. That’s all. 

Author's notes:

• Even I'm screaming this time
  • How to write romance pls help
  • e
  • Why orng

• Eek! 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, BirbMonster said:

the yes

Ember polished her scales, getting ready to meet up with the Epic again. 

I don’t have to look THAT good, she’d thought as she started getting ready. This isn’t that important! It’s just someone I just met! But also first impressions matter and I want to impress her-

Ember paused. Why did she want to impress her? 

She didn’t have to. It would all be alright. 

She paused for just one skeptical minute, staring at her now-gleaming reflection. 

As she left her room again, she heard an annoyingly familiar voice. 

“Yo! It’s you again! How’s it cracking and stuff?”

No, not Miles again…

“Go away,”

“Aww, come on! Don’t be shy, I know you want a good friend like me deep down!”

She growled furiously, smoke billowing from her head.

“Sheesh, mad again for no reason, aren’t you?” 

Ember ignored him and tried to keep moving. Maybe if she stayed angry-looking and ignorant, he wouldn’t talk to her anymore. Hopefully. 

She eventually continued outside again, trying to look out for her. 

“Hey, psst,” a familiar voice said from above her.

Ember looked up to see the Epic Kayna perched elegantly on top of a tree, staring down at her with blazing eyes.

“Oh!” Ember said in surprise. “I wasn’t expecting you to be…”

“I always hide like this,” the Epic said, pride and happiness in her voice. “Sometimes, they don’t see me for days,”

“Is… is it why I didn’t notice you before?”

“Yep. I go out here all day, most of the time. Come back at night to eat and stuff,”

That’s concerning, Ember thought, while she made sure she worded her response as well as possible. What did they do to make you do this?

“Oh,” she awkwardly twiddled her fingers a bit. “That’s… a bit sad, actually,”

“I know. It’s good that you understand, though. I like you more than the others already. Wanna come up here?”

“No thanks,” Ember knew that she wouldn’t have the balance to stand like that. And even then, she would have to hold on with both hands.

“Ok,” the Epic jumped down, flapping her wings and spreading them like parachutes.

“Wait, did I tell you my name?”

“Uhhh, I don’t think you did,”

“Oh… sorry, I forgot to. I’m Scorch,”

“Wow, that suits you,”

“Heh, thanks. Also, why are you suddenly so orange?”

“W-wait, I am?”

Had she been blushing this whole time? Jeepers, how awkward… 

“No, don’t worry! You still look very nice,”

“So…” Scorch said, trying to change the subject as she walked off in a random direction. Ember followed, limping slightly, and Scorch slowed down. “What do you… like to do?”

The two walked off together in the forest, talking until the late evening. 

As she left, Ember realised the spark she was starting to have with Scorch. The two simply understood each other. 

Maybe, just perhaps… She thought as her mind energetically drifted around like leaves in the wind. 

No! I don’t! I can’t have a crush on her! We just met yesterday! We’re friends. That’s all. 

Author's notes:

• Even I'm screaming this time
  • How to write romance pls help
  • e
  • Why orng

*screeches so loudly everyone goes deaf, even the celestials*

7 hours ago, BirbMonster said:

Even I'm screaming this time

4 hours ago, Loxlozfeafcakerat hampter said:

*screeches so loudly everyone goes deaf, even the celestials*

everyone just stop obsessing over Scorch-