Stray Fawn Community

Leaving the Oasis (Ember oc backstory)

BirbMonster

1 minute ago, BirbMonstwo said:

Reminds me of when Liz and I swapped usernames. 
Look at the user history on my other account and Liz.

Lol

How long did you trick people for?

You should've seen when we tricked shortcake-

3 minutes ago, Moss Tail said:

well I don't

Sad

Just now, shortcake said:

It wasn't even that long tho

...right?

I'm pretty sure it was less than a day

Yeah

But it was hilarious

• 2 weeks later...

Hello I’ve writing the next chapter I think this one is really good hehe

Meanwhile take some Miles facts:

-His personality was based off my classmates 

-The name Miles is a possible preset name for Floogulls. Every time I get a Floog from the oc generator, they’re named Miles, and it got to the point of being annoying so I thought it’d be the perfect name.

• Haha 1

Real

gets fun from here guys

Ember and Scorch wandered through the forest together, moving towards the castle and town square. It had been a week or so, so this was their 5th or 6th meeting, or something like that. 

“Look,” Scorch suddenly pointed out, her pupils flickering as she glanced upwards and pointed with one sharp, black claw. “There’s a balloon coming in,”

The crowd gathered around the area dispersed and scuttled quickly to the sides, as they always did. Nobody noticed Ember and Scorch.

Ember narrowed her eyes at the monsters exiting it. Led by, thankfully, an unusually scrawny Tring, and not Miles, were some very familiar monsters. She recognised them immediately. Two Kaynas, a Pango, and a Woolabee. Vesuvius, Molysite, Icicle, and Cheviot. Her own family.

Why were they here? Visiting her? Shouldn’t they meet on the top of the volcano if they wanted to do that, like they’d planned in their last letter? Icicle and Cheviot weren’t part of any species that was built for the hottest of the islands. 

“That’s my family,” Ember whispered to Scorch, shuffling in closer. “I’ll go talk to them. See why they’re here,”

Scorch nodded silently, and slipped back behind some rocks.

A nervous Sneyser followed Ember’s family as she approached them. The Sneyser looked familiar somehow. It wasn’t Yellowstone, the one who had kept her injuries warm with occasional huffs of hot air while she was in the hospital. They looked very nervous, too. Perhaps with a twinge of guilt. They constantly looked around to the side and up and down, then backed away as Ember approached, almost tripping over their own long claws. 

“Ember!” Vesuvius happily cried out, eagerly approaching his daughter. “Good to see you again,” 

She looked over his shoulder. Cheviot seemed mostly fine. Though covered in wool, she was still a fire monster, and was naturally suited to this kind of thing. All that happened was a few beads of sweat dripping down the bare patches of sea green skin around her face and limbs. 

But Icicle definitely wasn’t handling it well- her eyes were hooded, her beak a bit less ice-tipped than normal.

“Why are you all here?” Ember asked, her voice obviously tainted with worry and fear. “It’s not safe for you, mom! This is important, isn’t it?”

Vesuvius suddenly sounded serious, and slightly worried. “This is important,”

“Well if it's this important, maybe we should get to Tiberius. He’s ruled this island for ages, he’ll know what to do. Come on, I saw him in the castle,”

“Isn’t that the big leader dude?” Cheviot asked as she followed Ember with loud, obnoxious footsteps. “Yewch. Don’t like that. Not like how anyone else does things,”

Ember huffed as she led her family to the castle, now used to the winding red paths around the town square. 

Tiberius stood at the end of the hall. He wasn’t alone- a Repatillo who seemed to be just as old as him was sitting close by, a pair of spectacles propped on his snout. The two were talking to eachother calmly, resting on large couches on the sides of the hall. 

Ember nervously approached Tiberius, preparing to speak, but suddenly Vesuvius spoke up first.

“Excuse me, sir, I am sorry if it seems as if I am disturbing you, but we have a very important matter to discuss,”

Tiberius grumbled angrily, staring down at Ember’s family with an expression that she struggled to read. 

“What exactly is this ‘important matter’ of yours? And why is there a Pango here? She will overheat and you know it,”

“I’d rather overheat than die in the ways Pike threatened,” Icicle murmured through her panting.

What threats? Ember thought. She rummaged through her memories for that name. Pike. But, from what she remembered, she’d never met anyone with a name like that. 

“Threats?!” Tiberius yelled, his voice echoing across the halls as a number of heads turned to see what was going on. When he noticed the hundreds of eyes facing him, Tiberius leaned closer and spoke quieter, quiet for him, at least. “Who threatens you? I do not want another invasion on this island,” 

“What do you mean, another?!”

“Ahem,” the Repatillo interrupted. His voice was clear and sophisticated. “Calm yourselves. Tiberius, if this family came to you, it means this matter is, indeed, extremely important. Come on. We will go to your room to not frighten the citizens. It’ll be cooler there, Pango, alright for you, assuming you came from Fire Oasis,”

Before Icicle could even nod, Tiberius turned away with a frustrated sigh. Ember swore she could hear him muttering, “Hmpf, perhaps I should retire,” as he led the worried family to his own room. 

The door to room 1000 was lined with gold and engraved with Tiberius’ name. 

The inside of the room was wide and cavernous, decorated lavishly with pots filled with rare plants, and a perfectly carved statue of a Spurrit. 

The massive Tring plopped down onto a couch of velvet. He cranked a lever, and immediately a blast of cool air soared across the room.

“Well then,” Tiberius announced, the Repatillo sitting in the other couch next to him. “What is going on?”

“This letter,” Vesuvius said, pulling out a slightly torn and singed piece of parchment. “One of the pirates who attacked our home island sent this to us by Doodlebird,”

“The little guy looked so sad!” Cheviot exclaimed, letting one of her own birds, a new one that Ember hadn’t seen before, flutter onto her hand. “I took it with me to join my flock,”

Ember glanced at her sister happily. It wasn’t like Cheviot to be loving and kind, but then again, all Woolabees had a soft spot for Doodlebirds. 

“I see,” the Repatillo declared. “Apologies for not introducing myself beforehand. My name is Raptor, and I am Tiberius’ advisor. Now, Kayna, will you please read the message aloud?”

The Sneyser that had been with Ember’s family earlier whimpered in the corner, not saying a word.

Vesuvius cleared his voice and unfurled the paper. The corners had tears that looked like vigorous, furious claw-marks, clearly made in a fit of blinded rage.

“To Vesuvius and his family, and to he or she who killed Captain Caribbean,

I, Pike, Rare Thrumble, am coming. I will grind your bones to dust until it seems like they were never there. I will come back to your island and tear you apart, and I will find you no matter where you go. I am coming and I will take revenge. As the new Captain of the Bravest’s Bane, nothing is stopping me.”

“At least that’s what I think it said. The handwriting is very scratchy,” Vesuvius finished awkwardly, scrunching the letter up again and stuffing it into the pouch he carried with him.”You see, a few years ago I burned this pirate captain. He never really liked me for it, and now that he’s dead, his second-in-command swore to kill me and everyone else here,” Vesuvius nodded, gesturing to his family. “Expect Ember. There was this other note I lost. The whole crew though she died,”

“The scar, I assume,” Tiberius noticed. “What happened, anyway? I’ve been curious about it for a while now,” 

“I don’t like talking about it,”

“I see,” Tiberius commented. “I, however, am proud of my own scars,” he said, gesturing to some scratches on his shoulders and some broken crystals on his back. “They tell the stories of the terrible things you went through, yet survived,”

“This is all my fault!” The Sneyser shouted without warning, banging their head against the wall with a sound that rumbled through the castle. “I killed him! I shouldn’t have!”

“Ignore Faith,” Cheviot complained. “They’re always whining about how they killed the scary Captain guy. He deserved it,”

Ember remembered a Sneyser blasting Carribean, allowing her to escape. “You saved my life!”

“But at what cost? For Scaratar’s sake, I was a pacifist before! I wouldn’t kill the smallest of critters! But now I’ve ended the life of someone- I- I,”

They gave up their rambling and curled up in the wall again.

“Well,” Tiberius said, standing up and facing everyone in the room. “I know exactly who we need,”

“You?” Cheviot asked 

“No. Though I am one of the few here with any kind of fighting skills, I am getting far too old for this,”

Ember wondered where this was going.

“We need Scorch. She is the most powerful one here and she can fight,”

“What if she doesn’t want to?”

“She can help us fight off a whole crew of pirates!” Tiberius yelled, raising his voice so suddenly that Molysite and Faith almost fell over. “She far more powerful than any other mortal here, if not in the entire monster world,”

“But she doesn’t like-“

“Think you know her well enough? I’ve known her for her whole life,”

“Plus,” he continued, dramatically. “Scorch will know when they inevitably come because someone will rat you out in exchange for their life and you know it. Because 

Scorch…

Has the Firesight,”

• Love 3