Stray Fawn Community

Mari's Journey

Andromeda_

Finally made a new playthrough 

Don't be surprised if i cancel this one too 😛. Also im gonna be writing alot more

the objective of this is to try and get Mari's bloodline back to the Oasis (somehow)

~~~~~ 

Mari sat on the shores of her oasis island home, staring off into the distance, wondering what was out there. She and her siblings had recently become adolescents, and were learning to fish, and some of her bird-beaked siblings were even learning to collect termites. But Mari was more of a loner, staying near the edges of the island and staring at the horizon, wondering what was beyond it. She felt this strange call to explore beyond her oasis home. Mari stepped into the ocean, the humid breeze gently brushing her fur as her sharp claws sank into the silky sand. She crept into the water slowly, the warm water lapping against her short brown fur. She let out a pleased trill and closed her eyes, slowly letting her head slip below the surface of the ocean, her gills letting in oxygen from the waters.

A sudden wave crashed right into her, launching her back a little as she snapped back to reality. The current began to pull her away from the island. Mari screeched and tried to fight against the powerful waters, but no matter how hard she swished her tail fin or waved her claws, it was always stronger. The powerful current dragged her away as she yelped and squeaked, desperately trying to get help. But no one came to answer, and she was swept away by the sea.

Mari slowly opened her eyes to the annoying sounds of tapping and worried pacing. A white-furred male nicheling with a large jaw that was about the same age as her sat next to her, looking at her worriedly. He stepped back, noticing she had awoken. 

"Uh...hi there." The white-furred nicheling muttered nervously. "You okay? I know you have gills, but I saw you washed up on the shore and dragged you up." 

"Yeah, I'm-" Mari tried to speak, but a terrifyingly cold breeze suddenly wooshed by, rattling her. "Oh my Blizzard, it's cold here!" She yelped, wrapping her tail around her frail lean body. The other nicheling let out a sigh. 

"Yep, I expected that. As soon as I saw that slim body of yours, I knew you wouldn't last a day here. But I can help." Before Mari could respond, the nicheling pulled her into an embrace. His body began to radiate heat, and Mari could feel her chilled body begin to warm up. 

"You just invaded my personal space, but...that feels really nice..." Mari purred. The other nicheling chuckled. "I know you're gonna need company if you wanna survive here, so I guess I could stick with you for now. The name's Frosthorn." He said warmly. 

"Well, uh, I'm Mari." Mari said quietly, backing up in embarrassment over the fact that she had just gotten that close to a nicheling that she had JUST met. 

"Nice to meet ya, Mari." Frosthorn smiled. 

16942067351006281453036451803550.jpg

16942067763315147246215452455464.jpg

• Like 1
  • Eek! 1

• 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Andromeda_ said:

I planned to do it today but its late now and I have school tomorrow-

I have to wait a bit to update bc my brother took the nintendo switch to school with him- (his school has super smash bros tournaments)

• Paw up 1

(FINALLY) 

"So, uh, why are you here?" Frosthorn questioned, oblivious to the fact that he could sound a little rude. Mari frowned. "Oh. Um, about that....I got swept away from my island." She shook her head, seeming almost embarrassed that such a thing could happen to a swimmer as good as her. "Oh...well, maybe I could help you get back?" Frosthorn said excitedly, his tail wagging. "What did the island look like?" "Well, it was really hot with cactuses everywhere, and it had this huge oasis in the middle." Mari explained, trying to remember the layout of her beloved home. "Well, we'll get back there someday!" Frosthorn smiled. "Come on, let's go find some food. We can dig up some roots." 

As the pair slowly trotted around the huge island, Mari's thoughts swirled around in her head like a clownkoi in a river. She wanted to ask Frosthorn so many questions about this place. "Uh, if you don't mind me asking, where's your tribe? You seem a bit young to be a wanderer." Mari asked, tilting her head. "Oh, about that....I really don't know." Frosthorn shrugged, as Mari's confused expression became more intense. "One day I went to sleep with them, and the next day they were gone." Mari's expression turned shocked. "No sign of them or anything!? Have you tried looking?" She frowned, as Frosthorn shook his head. "Nope." Frosthorn muttered while Mari continued to look concerned as they walked.

"Hey, what's that giant ice thing in the distance?" Mari asked, pointing one of her claws at a large block of ice near the center of the island. "How odd." She muttered. "Maybe we should go towards it!" Frosthorn yelped excitedly as Mari reluctantly followed, her tail dragging across the frosted earth. 

They eventually made their way to the foreboding block of ice, just as the first snows began to fall. Mari approached the block, observing it closely and curiously as Frosthorn watched from a distance, adding roots to a small pile. "I think there's something it it!" Mari squeaked, her previously hidden curiosity getting the better of her. Before Frosthorn could even react, Mari stabbed her claw right in the middle of the ice block. The ice slowly cracked and splintered open, its shards falling apart to reveal... 

A nicheling. 

Mari gasped and took a step back as Frosthorn dropped a root he was carrying in shock. The nicheling had light golden fur and a platypus beak, but what made her stand out was her gigantic crown of horns. They were like Frosthorn's antlers, but ten times bigger. The nicheling looked around, confused and dazed. 

"Where...where is everybody?" She said weakly, looking at Mari and Frosthorn. "Who....who are you? W-what's happening?" She asked, her tone slowly becoming more panicked. 

"Woah. Calm down." Mari said worriedly. "I'm Mari, and that one over there is Frosthorn. Who might you be? Are you okay?" 

"I'm..." The nicheling hesitated, as if she had forgotten her own name. "Melina."

16958544899121438467371919476129.jpg

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Andromeda_ said:

(FINALLY) 

"So, uh, why are you here?" Frosthorn questioned, oblivious to the fact that he could sound a little rude. Mari frowned. "Oh. Um, about that....I got swept away from my island." She frowned, seeming almost embarrassed that such a thing could happen to a swimmer as good as her. "Oh...well, maybe I could help you get back?" Frosthorn said excitedly, his tail wagging. "What did the island look like?" "Well, it was really hot with cactuses everywhere, and it had this huge oasis in the middle." Mari explained, trying to remember the layout of her beloved home. "Well, we'll get back there someday!" Frosthorn smiled. "Come on, let's go find some food. We can dig up some roots." 

As the pair slowly trotted around the huge island, Mari's thoughts swirled around in her head like a clownkoi in a river. She wanted to ask Frosthorn so many questions about this place. "Uh, if you don't mind me asking, where's your tribe? You seem a bit young to be a wanderer." Mari asked, tilting her head. "Oh, about that....I really don't know." Frosthorn shrugged, as Mari's confused expression became more intense. "One day I went to sleep with them, and the next day they were gone." Mari's expression turned shocked. "No sign of them or anything!? Have you tried looking?" She frowned, as Frosthorn shook his head. "Nope." Frosthorn muttered while Mari continued to look concerned as they walked.

"Hey, what's that giant ice thing in the distance?" Mari asked, pointing one of her claws at a large block of ice near the center of the island. "How odd." She muttered. "Maybe we should go towards it!" Frosthorn yelped excitedly as Mari reluctantly oblidged. 

They eventually made their way to the foreboding block of ice, just as the first snows began to fall. Mari approached the block, observing it closely and curiously as Frosthorn watched from a distance, adding roots to a small pile. "I think there's something it it!" Mari squeaked, her curiosity getting the better of her. Before Frosthorn could even react, Mari stabbed her claw right in the middle of the ice block. The ice slowly cracked and splintered open, its shards falling apart to reveal... 

A nicheling. 

Mari gasped and took a step back as Frosthorn dropped a root he was carrying in shock. The nicheling had light golden fur and a platypus beak, but what made her stand out was her gigantic crown of horns. They were like Frosthorn's antlers, but ten times bigger. The nicheling looked around, confused and dazed. 

"Where...where is everybody?" She said weakly, looking at Mari and Frosthorn. "Who....who are you? W-what's happening?" She asked, her tone slowly becoming more panicked. 

"Woah. Calm down." Mari said worriedly. "I'm Mari, and that one over there is Frosthorn. Who might you be? Are you okay?" 

"I'm..." The nicheling hesitated, as if she had forgotten her own name. "Melina."

16958544899121438467371919476129.jpg

"How in the world are your horns that big? I've never seen anything of the sort..." Mari said, amazed. "Really? Well, um, thanks." Melina said quietly. "They're called Megaloceros horns. Aren't they cool?" Melina smiled as Mari and Frosthorn nodded. 

"Why were you inside that giant ice block?" Frosthorn asked as he popped a root into his mouth. Melina shivered. "...All I remember was laying alone in the snow. It was...very cold. I saw...nichelings leaving. Leaving me. Leaving me behind. It got colder and colder. And then...it all faded away..." Melina said, a distant, tearful look in her eyes. Mari and Frosthorn looked down in sorrow, and there was a silent moment between the three nichelings. 

The three of them heard paws crunching in the snow. All three nichelings turned their heads. "Probably a rabbil." Frosthorn muttered, entering a hunting crouch. The small group followed the sound, trudging through thin layers of powdery, fluffy snow that marked the beginning of a harsh, bitter snowfall. But instead of a rabbil like the group expected, they saw something much different.

Another nicheling. 

The nicheling was young and scrawny, like she hadn't eaten in quite a bit. The poor nicheling had a useless, deformed paw, and she seemed to be desperately trying to scrounge up a root that was sticking out of the ice-coated ground, even with paws that were in no way built for digging. She had dull orange-yellow fur that stook out like a sore paw against the white snow. Feeling a throb of pity in his heart for the nicheling, Frosthorn reached out and gently touched her shoulder. 

The nicheling whipped around, letting out a hiss as she turned to face Frosthorn. "What do you want!?" She snarled, her voice shaky and scared, flinching before him as if Frosthorn would strike her at any moment. "Hey, hey, wait. I'm just trying to help..." Frosthorn said softly, offering the nicheling a root. The nicheling slowly extended her paw to take it, hesitating before snatching it from his paw and scarfing it down. It seemed like she was surprised he didn't yank it away at the last second or did some other cruel "joke". Mari and Melina watched in shock as Frosthorn smoothly befriended this new nicheling. 

"What's your name?" Frosthorn asked once she was done with the root. The nicheling looked up at them warily. "...The name's Brilla." 

(it's pronounced "Bree-ya" cause its Spanish hehe. Also speaking of Spanish HAPPY HISPANIC HERITAGE MONTHHHH THATS MY CULTURE BABYYYY)

16958561338874434755867616613371.jpg

• Eek! 1

• 4 weeks later...

this isnt dead 

the stick on the red joycon of our nintendo switch has started drifting a lot, so my brother is gonna send it back to nintendo so they can send back a replacement. so this is on hold until it's shipped and gets back

• Paw up 1

• 3 weeks later...

(i'm a liar 🐁

The snow now blanketed the entire mountain, and the group found themselves shivering whenever Frosthorn wasn't near. The group slowly trudged through, catching rabbils for snacks as they wandered aimlessly. 

"Hey guys-" Mari said as they all turned to her. "I remember seeing more of those iceberg things before the snow fell, like the one Melina was trapped in." She said, looking out at the mountain. Frosthorn shrugged before climbing to the top of a nearby pine tree, attempting to scan the area. "Don't see anything, the snow probably covered them." He sighed, dropping down from the tree. "Well, we're gonna have to help them..." Melina muttered as Brilla and Mari nodded. "We can wait 'till the snow thaws." 

Unfortunately for the small tribe, the snow got even worse. The walls of snow around the group thickened as fresh snowflakes fluttered down from the skies. Mari sighed, her tail thumping against the ground in frustration as she nibbled on a rabbil carcass. "I just wanna get out of here..." She grumbled under her breath. Brilla nodded at her before picking up the rabbil she just caught. 

The next day, a strange, large creature came over to the group. Mari awoke to find a droopy, weirdly adorable face staring right at her. "AAAH! WHAT IN BLIZZARD'S NAME!?" Mari shrieked, alerting everyone else. "Calm down! It's just a walrus deer." Melina hissed. "What in the...you know what, nevermind." Mari muttered. "They may look a little...morbid...but they're docile and only attack when cornered. But they do supply a lot of delicious meat." Melina explained, as Mari gave her a concerned stare.

16997433887534846626530947965778.jpg

• Love 1

Just now, Andromeda_ said:

(i'm a liar 🐁

The snow now blanketed the entire mountain, and the group found themselves shivering whenever Frosthorn wasn't near. The group slowly trudged through, catching rabbils for snacks as they wandered aimlessly. 

"Hey guys-" Mari said as they all turned to her. "I remember seeing more of those iceberg things before the snow fell, like the one Melina was trapped in." She said, looking out at the mountain. Frosthorn shrugged before climbing to the top of a nearby pine tree, attempting to scan the area. "Don't see anything, the snow probably covered them." He sighed, dropping down from the tree. "Well, we're gonna have to help them..." Melina muttered as Brilla and Mari nodded. "We can wait 'till the snow thaws." 

Unfortunately for the small tribe, the snow got even worse. The walls of snow around the group thickened as fresh snowflakes fluttered down from the skies. Mari sighed, her tail thumping against the ground in frustration as she nibbled on a rabbil carcass. "I just wanna get out of here..." She grumbled under her breath. Brilla nodded at her before picking up the rabbil she just caught. 

The next day, a strange, large creature came over to the group. Mari awoke to find a droopy, weirdly adorable face staring right at her. "AAAH! WHAT IN BLIZZARD'S NAME!?" Mari shrieked, alerting everyone else. "Calm down! It's just a walrus deer." Melina hissed. "What in the...you know what, nevermind." Mari muttered. "They may look a little...morbid...but they're docile and only attack when cornered. But they do supply a lot of delicious meat." Melina explained, as Mari gave her a concerned stare.

16997433887534846626530947965778.jpg

Suddenly, Mari's ear twitched, and she looked off into the distance. "Did I just hear a sneeze?" She questioned. "I could've sworn I heard paws crunching." Brilla added. Mari silently crept in the direction of the sound, noticing a nicheling. He had slightly dark red fur with greyish-brown spots all over him. Brilla approached as well, watching the stranger from a distance. "We're being creepy, we should just leave them alone." Brilla whispered. Mari nodded. The two of them turned to go back to Frosthorn and Melina. However, soon they heard a slightly nasally voice behind them. "Uh, hi?" 

They both turned to see the nicheling they had seen before. But now that he was facing front, they noticed that he had...a wing!? 

"I- um-" Mari stuttered, simply pointing to the nicheling's strange wing. "Oh, this? It's my wing! Though I only have one, so I can't fl- " The nicheling suddenly burst out into a sneeze. Brilla and Mari backed up, looking a little concerned. "Sorry. As I was saying, I can't fly, since I only have one wing." The nicheling said sheepishly, before sneezing again. Brilla and Mari looked at each other. They knew that a sickly lone nicheling wouldn't survive for long on their own, especially with the bitter cold, and their loud sneezes alerting both potential meals and predators to their presence.  

"I know this is a random question, but, are you by any chance in a tribe?" Mari asked, looking at the nicheling curiously. "Nope." The nicheling said, rubbing his nose with his only paw. "Well...would ya like to join ours?" Brilla proposed. "Well, um, sure!" The nicheling grinned, his single wing flapping with joy. "I'm Aller." 

(his name totally isn't a play on allergic what no what are you talking about!? /j)

16997446115928858805482144338637.jpg

16997447046763262044829300933041.jpg

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Andromeda_ said:

Suddenly, Mari's ear twitched, and she looked off into the distance. "Did I just hear a sneeze?" She questioned. "I could've sworn I heard paws crunching." Brilla added. Mari silently crept in the direction of the sound, noticing a nicheling. He had slightly dark red fur with greyish-brown spots all over him. Brilla approached as well, watching the stranger from a distance. "We're being creepy, we should just leave them alone." Brilla whispered. Mari nodded. The two of them turned to go back to Frosthorn and Melina. However, soon they heard a slightly nasally voice behind them. "Uh, hi?" 

They both turned to see the nicheling they had seen before. But now that he was facing front, they noticed that he had...a wing!? 

"I- um-" Mari stuttered, simply pointing to the nicheling's strange wing. "Oh, this? It's my wing! Though I only have one, so I can't fl- " The nicheling suddenly burst out into a sneeze. Brilla and Mari backed up, looking a little concerned. "Sorry. As I was saying, I can't fly, since I only have one wing." The nicheling said sheepishly, before sneezing again. Brilla and Mari looked at each other. They knew that a sickly lone nicheling wouldn't survive for long on their own, especially with the bitter cold, and their loud sneezes alerting both potential meals and predators to their presence.  

"I know this is a random question, but, are you by any chance in a tribe?" Mari asked, looking at the nicheling curiously. "Nope." The nicheling said, rubbing his nose with his only paw. "Well...would ya like to join ours?" Brilla proposed. "Well, um, sure!" The nicheling grinned, his single wing flapping with joy. "I'm Aller." 

(his name totally isn't a play on allergic what no what are you talking about!? /j)

16997446115928858805482144338637.jpg

16997447046763262044829300933041.jpg

Brilla dug through the layers of snow, trying to find the root that she could clearly smell, so that someone else could dig it up. Suddenly, she brushed a layer of snow away to reveal a bundle of pink fur. She shrieked, jumping back in shock. Had she just discovered a corpse!? 

The others were busy exploring and digging up roots- Frosthorn was the only unoccupied nicheling nearby. "Um...Frost? I think I just found a dead body." Brilla said, gesturing to the half-buried lump of pink fur at her paws. Brilla grabbed it, lifting an entire full-grown nicheling out of the pile of snow. She was unmoving, her eyes shut, and her body cold and stiff. 

"Wait a second..." Frosthorn said, studying the nicheling.. "She's not dead. Hold on, I think I can..." 

Frosthorn wrapped his body around the nicheling, his warmth sinking into her body. After about a minute, the stranger's eyes slowly opened, and she looked around, dazed. "What..." She whispered, blinking multiple times as she came to her senses. 

"Okay, before you panic, you were frozen in the snow, and I think we just saved you from becoming a nichecicle." Frosthorn explained, trying to be reassuring. 

"Um....Thank you, but, I'm still so confused-" The nicheling muttered, shaking her head. "You probably just need some rest...come on, I'll take you to a hotspring. What's your name?" Brilla offered. 

"Um-" The nicheling stuttered, rubbing her eyes. "I'm Koral." 

(photo quality is worse than usual cause my phone is about to die)

16997456668277009261201723375366.jpg

16997457131814157707583359064056.jpg

• Love 1

• 4 weeks later...

(i hope yall didnt count on it lmao) 

The tribe packed together in order to sleep, trying to stay warm in the cold nights of the mountains. Aller stayed by the edge of the nicheling pile, attempting to keep the others safe from his sickness. However, he couldn't control his sneeze, and ended up sneezing right onto Brilla and Koral. "Watch where you sneeze, One-Wing." Brilla hissed, accidentally sounding a bit more aggressive than she intended. "Sorry." Aller muttered quietly as Koral and Brilla grumbled. 

Melina sat in the hot spring pool, clearing snow and digging up roots as she relaxed in the warmth that enveloped her. She brushed away a layer of snow, when a nicheling suddenly leapt out. He had a twisted, deformed snout with two useless deformed paws. Melina flinched at the sight, realizing that it was a rogue male looking to try and mate with a female. The rogue completely ignored her, going towards Mari. 

Frosthorn instinctively jumped in front of Mari, protecting her from the rogue. He tried to go around him, but Aller leaped in as well, cornering the rogue as Mari and the other female nichelings stayed behind them. Aller smacked the rogue with his paw, making him stumble back and retreat. "What a coward." Mari hissed under her breath as Frosthorn nodded.

17021535984264937360572441324901.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The rogue continued to hang around in the tribe's territory, repeatedly approaching Koral. She and Aller would often team up to fight him off, and the two became close friends, despite the sneezing incident. 

One day, Aller approached Koral, coughing and sputtering as usual- but this time, he seemed more weak. "Al? Are you okay?" Koral said worriedly. Aller shook his head weakly. He took a deep breath before he started speaking. "This might seem a little out of the blue, but I wanted to let you know, since I don't have much time left due to my sickness." Aller said, before letting another cough. He looked up at Koreal weakly. "I wanted to let you know that I love you." 

Koral's gaze softened a little. This was quite unexpected, but she couldn't deny that she liked Aller and his company. She felt warm and nice and safe around him. She nodded. "I do too. I won't forget you." 

The next day Aller was found dead, with a peaceful look on his face, guarding the territory as he always did.

1704154914758388618966165890547.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Andromeda_ said:

The rogue continued to hang around in the tribe's territory, repeatedly approaching Koral. She and Aller would often team up to fight him off, and the two became close friends, despite the sneezing incident. 

One day, Aller approached Koral, coughing and sputtering as usual- but this time, he seemed more weak. "Al? Are you okay?" Koral said worriedly. Aller shook his head weakly. He took a deep breath before he started speaking. "This might seem a little out of the blue, but I wanted to let you know, since I don't have much time left due to my sickness." Aller said, before letting another cough. He looked up at Koreal weakly. "I wanted to let you know that I love you." 

Koral's gaze softened a little. This was quite unexpected, but she couldn't deny that she liked Aller and his company. She felt warm and nice and safe around him. She nodded. "I do too. I won't forget you." 

The next day Aller was found dead, with a peaceful look on his face, guarding the territory as he always did.

1704154914758388618966165890547.jpg

Koral lay curled up in her nest, a little bright red ball of fuzz cuddled up against her. She looked down at the newborn nicheling, stroking his fluffy little mane gently. Her and Aller's one, and only, son. She sighed, thinking once again about the mate she never got to love and cherish. 

Koral looked at the little nicheling below her, realizing how similar he looked to his father. The samd bright red base coat, the same spots splattered all over him. And then she thought of a name. 

"Allu." Koral whispered, holding the young nicheling tight as she drifted off to sleep.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Andromeda_ said:

Koral lay curled up in her nest, a little bright red ball of fuzz cuddled up against her. She looked down at the newborn nicheling, stroking his fluffy little mane gently. Her and Aller's one, and only, son. She sighed, thinking once again about the mate she never got to love and cherish. 

Koral looked at the little nicheling below her, realizing how similar he looked to his father. The samd bright red base coat, the same spots splattered all over him. And then she thought of a name. 

"Allu." Koral whispered, holding the young nicheling tight as she drifted off to sleep.

Melina dug through the dig piles of snow, searching for any signs of roots or rabbils. The tribe's food stores were rapidly depleting, and they needed to find more food quickly. 

As she was digging, Melina's claw hit something furry and soft, and she heard a low, terrifying growl emerge from what she thought was a pile of snow. She whimpered, cowering in fear as the "snow" arose to reveal a balance bear, standing tall in all its horrifying, frosty glory. 

Recognizing the terrible creature from distant memories of her long-lost tribe, Melina shrieked, dashing towards the other side of the camp. "BALANCE BEAR!" She screamed. Everyone else in the camp went into a panicked frenzy, also dashing away. Well, except Mari. "What in Heatwave's name is a balance bear?" Mari asked, her tail flicking. "NO TIME TO EXPLAIN, JUST RUNNNN!" Frosthorn yelped, dragging Mari out of the way just in time before the bear came barreling out of the snow towards the small tribe.

17041562328903187343233823214645.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Andromeda_ said:

(lmao help i am finding literally NO food in the mountains 😭😭😭)

The mountains and the savanna are like the worst places to find food in the entire game 💀

(which island should i go to when we decide to leave? the two options are deadly hills, or a grassland port that i know is either archipelago or grass mingle)

2 hours ago, Andromeda_ said:

(which island should i go to when we decide to leave? the two options are deadly hills, or a grassland port that i know is either archipelago or grass mingle)

I think you should go to archipelago or grass mingle, from what's going on I think food is a priority 

57 minutes ago, Stranger said:

I think you should go to archipelago or grass mingle, from what's going on I think food is a priority 

i was going in the direction of the mingle/archipelago port but then the balance bear spawned 😤😤😤