Stray Fawn Community

Weapon Rarity: Feedback.

Sp4m

I like the idea of random loot, and weapons with different rarity and traits, but in a construction game with vs. modes it's important that all competitors have a level playing field. So please make sure competitive modes are pulling from a standard set of parts.

Additionally, since there are epic weapons available and they are just as easy to get as rare weapons, rare weapons are garbage. I don't even stop at those planets any more. When I do get them, they go straight into the grinder! So at the end of the day, your weapon rarity thing may not be working out the way you want.

But it doesn't help that I'm just packing cursor controlled rockets, so anything that it's a better cursor controlled rocket gets ignored.

But now that I have auto-orbit set up, maybe it's time for some lasers?!

I think the randomized nature of the weapons is an awesome feature too,  but I'm not all that worried about PvP balance. Other games like this have shown me that creativity and careful efficient design are far more important than ballistic superiority.

I would love it if other components had similar procedural generated elements just like the weapons do. For example, just like a a gun tower might have sticky bullets with high speed, it would be sweet if you could get a battery part that generated more power when you take damage or helped generate fuel too, or a sensor part that had cone-shape detection as opposed to a line.

I think you are mistaking the effect of weapon rarity.  Based on my analysis, rarity increases the number of mods a weapon may have.  But it does not affect the weapon's type or damage.  You can get plenty of Epic weapons with 3 useless upgrades (reduced recoil, high air resistance, etc.) and then get a Rare weapon with 2 good upgrades (120% damage, double number of shots).

So, while the chances are higher that an epic weapon will be good, the advantage isn't significant enough to warrant skipping rares.