Stray Fawn Community

Unlocking wings...requires you to fly?

Dinocanid

Does anyone else think it's strange that you need to fly to unlock wings? I've only come across one-winged nichelings in my story-mode game, and the gene always seems to breed out instead of in (let alone doubling into both slots...). I think inviting a nicheling with wings should be enough to unlock it, or at least successfully breed a nicheling with at least one wing.
The other genes don't do this, but it's mostly since the other genes have actions that can be completed by an inept nicheling. (IE: they might not be able to fish, but the fishing tail will still unlock if you try enough)

• Like 1

Yeah it is odd. A different action (like hopping on a stump) or something might be better for this. Or your suggestion of just unlocking it by inviting a Nicheling with that trait.

• Like 2

The idea behind it was to make wings harder to mutate.
So you would first need to find a winged creature, then fly with it and only then you could also mutate the gene.
But inviting to unlocks the trait works too if you think this is better :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the reply @Philo !

I figured that was the reason. In that case you not only need to be lucky enough to find a winged nicheling, but one with two wings (or two nichelings with wings in opposite paws)

I think inviting them to unlock would be better (in my opinion) since winged nichelings are still rare, especially if you don't break an ice block or go to whale island. You just wouldn't need to go through the process of finding one that can fly with the potential of it dying before you can unlock the wings.

• Like 2

I think the current method to unlock wings in the mutation menu is just fine.  Considering just how much of a perk it ends up providing, the difficulty makes sense to me. 

I've had little issue managing the eventually breed two-winged nichelings to consequentially fly/unlock. 

It does take a while, true, but at same time more than worth it. 

Yeah, I don't want it too easy, but I find it harder to unlock than ancient genes.

Winged nichelings could be made even more rare to balance out my idea (since they are everywhere on whale island), or maybe make it breed-only instead of invite-only. Then you need to not only invite a nicheling, but successfully pass on the gene.

I liked how it was in the 1.1.0 version, as you could unlock wings by inviting a wanderer with the gene into your tribe. Even that way, it is still pretty hard to find as it could only be found on Whale Island and in the iceblocks along with occasionally in other places. I think that @Dinocanid's suggestion of the gene unlocking after breeding it in is a good idea as well.

I much preferred the way wings were only invite to tribe. The way they are now, you have to breed in double wings, which can be difficult if you don't have great luck and at worst result in losing them altogether. Then having to fly a bunch before the Nichling dies of age or hope to get more double winged babies...

I definitely wouldn't want them taken out of the mutation menu though. It's hard enough as it is to get double leg mutations to stick due to how both gene slots show up on creatures.

• Like 2

Aw, I personally really like the flying for wings; it makes them that more special. It’s a unique way to unlock a rare and quite useful gene, and it forces you to keep it in the tribe to unlock it. However, I understand how people would be frustrated by it.

• Like 1