Stray Fawn Community

Beach Bum Predator: Crark

MysticTopaz

From the "Crocodile" and "Shark", this is a lazy predator that will stay either on the beach or in the water [sometimes in swamps] and wait until prey gets too close before striking. Think of it as a creature version of the Carnivorous Plants.

Crark.png.ccec4242de226c9dc01abca10e3b76dd.png

They stay underwater close to the shore, waiting for nichelings, bunnels, and fish to get too close so they can eat them. Females are the only ones found on the beach, and they will have a baby on the beach next to them you can tame once the mother is dead. The tamed male will wander into the water and proceed to have the same behavior as all males, but won't attack your nichelings. This does however mean that in order to breed with one you'll have to do a little swimming. For breeding, you can get these stats:

Crark Jaws: +2 strength, +1 smelling, +1 underwater breathing [a crocky mouth with a sharky head shape]

Inner Ears: +2 hearing [Looks like there are no ears]

Crark Body: +2 defense, +1 swimming, +1 underwater breathing

Crark Legs: +1 strength, +1 defense, +1 swimming

Crark Hind Legs: +1 strength, +1 defense, +1 swimming

Tailfin

Beige Fur, no pattern

This doesn't have to be a thing, but I think it would be cool if it was: Crarks [and nichelings with Crark Jaws] could be able to 'hold' a nicheling at the same time as attacking, which makes them unable to move but still able to attack. So, in other words, you use one turn to attack, and when you attack, your target is then held.

• Like 4

9 replies to this post

I actually don't think any combination of genes should result in you having 0 movement on land. Unless we're given the ability to make nests in the water, there would be no way for your full crark hybrid to move, breed, or find food -- they would be stuck in the nest indefinitely. In fact, none of the crark genes add movement, so even if you don't have a full hybrid then an unlucky combination of genes would leave you stranded like a beached whale. If you had a whole tribe of them, what good would carrying/dragging do if nobody can move?

Not trying to sound harsh btw, I just think that a full gene set giving you 0 movement is a bad idea. At the very least it should be like blind nichelings where you can only move 1 tile on land, instead of 0 tiles on land, it seems broken.

• Like 2

It would kinda make sense if it just got +1 movement speed atleast. But maybe they could be a bit like salmon and once they are born,they move to the opposite side of the mountain, but when they are ready to breed, they head right back around and head on the shore to have their baby, then die?  Just a couple of thoughts, anyways, amazing idea.. So have an upvote!

I think it's a good idea, but maybe change the stats. I mean, if you had all of the genes you would have 4 defense, which I think is far too op for a hybrid. Even the snow gene, armoured body, has only got 3 defense. Also sorry if none of that makes sense, I just woke up.

If the nechelings with this head look like Grabber Gob then finding a baby one of these would make me ecstatic. Also I noticed a creature with all crark limbs has 0 move, so does the mother just flop up on land and get beached or...?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dr. Nearo said:

If the nechelings with this head look like Grabber Gob then finding a baby one of these would make me ecstatic. Also I noticed a creature with all crark limbs has 0 move, so does the mother just flop up on land and get beached or...?

Exactly :D The mother does indeed only spawn on the beach [because she's beached herself to have her baby] and she and the baby stay there. The baby is always male, so once it's old enough to separate from her [if you don't kill her and make it friendly] it'll go back into the water and act as all the other males do.

And yes, Grabber Gob is exactly how they would look; it's the head you get from breeding with Crarks! <3

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Dr. Nearo said:

@ShriekingPterodactyl pretty sure defense is offset by the fact that if you have all the Crark genes then you have 0 land move. speaking of, seems like this set up would be a great reason to implement some kind of ability to move (carry, drag) other nechelings around

Exactly :D Thank you!

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 7:09 PM, Dinocanid said:

I actually don't think any combination of genes should result in you having 0 movement on land. Unless we're given the ability to make nests in the water, there would be no way for your full crark hybrid to move, breed, or find food -- they would be stuck in the nest indefinitely. In fact, none of the crark genes add movement, so even if you don't have a full hybrid then an unlucky combination of genes would leave you stranded like a beached whale. If you had a whole tribe of them, what good would carrying/dragging do if nobody can move?

Not trying to sound harsh btw, I just think that a full gene set giving you 0 movement is a bad idea. At the very least it should be like blind nichelings where you can only move 1 tile on land, instead of 0 tiles on land, it seems broken.

You actually can build nests underwater XD and having a full bearyena hybrid sucks because you can only move one tile in  land or sea, but at least with the crark, if you're smart about your breeding, you won't be so horribly slow.

There are a few complaints about not being able to move on land, which I completely agree with. I also think having 2 genes that both add underwater breathing is unnecessary, and 4 defense is also a bit much so I was thinking that the legs and hindlegs could both lose their defense stats and gain 1 speed instead and the body could lose its underwater breathing (the gills look like theyre on the head but correct me if I'm wrong) and add 1 defense instead. That way a full hybrid would still have high defense and be able to breath underwater, plus it would be able to move a little on land

Id be really curious to see how the stubby wee legs would be added, would they maybe need to be made the same sort of size as other legs? Theyd need to do something to make them fit onto nichelings, unless they were to just sort of float mid air xD

I love this idea, upvoted

• Like 1