Stray Fawn Community

New Tail: Tricky Tail

MysticTopaz

In nature, animals sometimes employ tricky tactics to avoid critical damage. This tail is such an evolutionary step for Nichelings.

5b044e03424bc_TrickyTail.thumb.png.2b1a6ec88f984ac9d47dfcead6d5dc78.png

This tail has but one ability: once per day, when attacked, the first attack will not do any damage, as the attacker is actually attacking the decoy tail, but after the initial attack the attacker then realizes where the true target is. The eye-spots on the tail would be the same color as the nicheling's eyes.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

11 replies to this post

Nice idea! I think they should function like they do in real life though, to look scary and ward off those that would potentially eat them. Rather than attracting predators to fight the tail (not attract per say, but you know what I mean), which is counter-productive, it would scare them maybe once a day only? Not having them take damage doesn't make much sense, since they're still being attacked lol.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dinocanid said:

Nice idea! I think they should function like they do in real life though, to look scary and ward off those that would potentially eat them. Rather than attracting predators to fight the tail (not attract per say, but you know what I mean), which is counter-productive, it would scare them maybe once a day only? Not having them take damage doesn't make much sense, since they're still being attacked lol.

Well, when you have Armored Body and Big Body, you can be attacked but not take damage depending on the strength of your enemy. Thus it's not much of a stretch to say you'd get attacked and not receive damage. Furthermore, I see where you're coming from with the intimidation factor, but I hope you see where I'm coming from with the anti-damage factor. As it happens, when, for example, a snake in nature has its tail look like its head, it is a two-fold tactic: possibly scaring off predators, but more importantly, should the predator attack what it thinks is the snake's head, the snake could avoid serious damage, giving it a chance to twist around and bite its attacker. Such is the purpose of my Tricky Tail.

I see what you mean, but the armored body and big body are built for defense, while the tricky tail is just a decoy with no added strengths. In the snake example the snake still took damage, it just wasn't a fatal bite to the head, and the tail wasn't any tougher than the rest of it.

If we go by that example, then maybe it should be +1 defense or something instead of no damage at all that turn.

I think it still works as is, especially in the sort of unique pack-oriented nature of the nechelings: predator shows up, attacks the juiciest critter he sees, and while he's distracted everyone can run or strike as appropriate to the tribe. plus it still makes sense for the necheling to take no damage from a hit to the tail as it is likely that, unlike the snake, its tail is probably mostly fluff

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Dr. Nearo said:

I think it still works as is, especially in the sort of unique pack-oriented nature of the nechelings: predator shows up, attacks the juiciest critter he sees, and while he's distracted everyone can run or strike as appropriate to the tribe. plus it still makes sense for the necheling to take no damage from a hit to the tail as it is likely that, unlike the snake, its tail is probably mostly fluff

Thank you! You said it more eloquently than I could! XD