Stray Fawn Community

Apex Predator: Spiture

MysticTopaz

Once upon a time, last year, I felt genuine spite for the Apes, so much so that I wanted a monster that could prey upon EVERYTHING...

"One thing I can lament, though: I've wanted a spider-something predator, not to mate with, but to have as a big scary thing. I imagined two of the giant trees in the jungle about three hexagons apart, and in those three hexagons of space between the trees there connects a giant web. Trying to move through the space between the trees results in your nicheling getting stuck in the web. If it has a high strength, it can break itself free, but if not- I'll get to that in a second. Here's the thing: the giant spider monster wouldn't differentiate between nichelings and carnivores, so bearyenas and apes could get stuck in the web, too, and as far as I know none of them have strengths above 5 points. Thus, when the day is passed, the spider descends from the trees, getting closer and closer to whatever is stuck in the web. Once there, it will spin the web even further, making it impossible for even nichelings of 12 strength to break free, where it will then poison its prey and sit there, waiting for it to die. In the case of bearyenas and apes, as soon as the carnivore dies the meat it drops is picked up by the spider, so you don't get a chance to rush in and steal the kill. The spider wouldn't come down off the web because it'd be far too big, taking up a ring of six hexagons with its size. Thing is, I wanted it to be cute; something that, even though it's basically an even more unbeatable beast than the apes, more akin to a carnivorous plant in gameplay, you can almost kinda forgive. Like the real life spiders who wear water droplets as hats <3"

Well, past me, I think I've done it. Based off of a Black Widow Spider and a Bearded Vulture, I give you: The Spiture.

Spiture.thumb.png.2c518a599b8f4b5f9c7ca4936484d9bd.png

I figure flying nichelings will be the most at risk when it comes to this gargantuan foe, but I suppose really stupid wanderers [or if you willingly sacrifice your nichelings for some sick reason] could get stuck in the web on foot. I figure literally anything can get stuck in the web. I gotta admit, though, I don't really agree with past-me: I think there should be one day between the death of the captured and the Spiture eating it. Why? Because DO WHAT YOU WANT CUZ A PIRATE IS FREE; YOU ARE A PIRATE!!! -ahem- I mean, I think it would be beneficial if you could steal the food, especially if it's from an Ape. Way I see it, though, you would need a strength of, like, 10 to get it without getting caught in the web yourself. What if YOU get stuck? When it is the first day and you still look like the nicheling in the picture with her head and gems visible, you can be saved by another nicheling with at least a 5 in strength. If you are not saved, however, and you pass the day, you'll look like the big web ball in the picture, and will be considered dead. The good side to this? You can harvest food from the web balls, with a nicheling of at least 10 strength. Depending on what they used to be, you could get whatever meat amount you normally get from prey items and predators, and if it's a nicheling I figure giving 3 meat is generous, since normally you get nothing when a nicheling dies.

• Like 7

12 replies to this post

This should only appear in the killer jungle. Also there should be a sandbox customisation button to turn these off. I'm not that sure about the cannibalism tough.

Have my vote!

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Lilytuft said:

This should only appear in the killer jungle. Also there should be a sandbox customisation button to turn these off. I'm not that sure about the cannibalism tough.

Have my vote!

Oh of course XD I wouldn't dream of putting the Spiture anywhere but the Killer Jungle.

13 hours ago, Dr. Nearo said:

I love the bugged-out expressions of the flying nechelings in your image (ERMAGERDLUKKITTHESIZEOFIT!!)

But yeah giant spider would be so sick to find in the deep jungle

I guess this would be an all new mechanic though, because I don't know of anything else that takes the path of your move into account and stops you in your tracks like this would when you try to go through it (if that's what @Leaellynasaura meant with their question)

That is exactly how I meant it, thank you! :D And yes I had fun drawing the "OMGLOOKITDATTHING" expressions~

15 hours ago, 1_CattAttack_1 said:

But wouldn't the Spiture be a great creature for the Tiny Green island? XD

All jokes aside, I would love an ultimate powerful predator besides the apes or killer bearyena- which are honestly not ultimately powerful once you get ramhorns + double claws, bearyena genes, or snow genes. This way, players would honestly have a real challenge that they couldn't just fight with brute strength. :0

I love this idea so much! Take my vote. :D

Thank you so much! And if I saw one of these on the Tiny Green I'd definitely quit and start a new game XD Like "NopenopenopenopenopeSOMUCHNOPE"

• Like 2

On 5/23/2018 at 9:08 AM, Lilytuft said:

Have my vote!

Hey, cannibalism is really common in the animal kingdom, I wouldn't be surprised if Nichelings weren't an exception

But wouldn't the Spiture be a great creature for the Tiny Green island? XD

All jokes aside, I would love an ultimate powerful predator besides the apes or killer bearyena- which are honestly not ultimately powerful once you get ramhorns + double claws, bearyena genes, or snow genes. This way, players would honestly have a real challenge that they couldn't just fight with brute strength. :0

I love this idea so much! Take my vote. :D

• Like 3

I love the bugged-out expressions of the flying nechelings in your image (ERMAGERDLUKKITTHESIZEOFIT!!)

But yeah giant spider would be so sick to find in the deep jungle

I guess this would be an all new mechanic though, because I don't know of anything else that takes the path of your move into account and stops you in your tracks like this would when you try to go through it (if that's what @Leaellynasaura meant with their question)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/23/2018 at 10:48 PM, Leaellynasaura said:

Just wondering, how would flying creatures get stuck in the web? Would it just be the same as any other creature, as in landing on the floor tiles, or could they get caught by landing on the trees or passing through the web?

I believe the best route to take with that is that if they land on a webby floor tile or if they try to fly through the web, but landing on a tree the web is connected to wouldn't count unless it was a part of the tree were the webbing overlaps. If they land on a webby part of a tree they'd have the same web-ball look as on the ground, but I think it'd be neat to have a different web-ball design for the flying nichelings caught in the web above ground. I'll have to work on drawing that~

• Like 1

On 11/17/2018 at 3:03 PM, ccallahanny said:

I think that all creatures should get stuck in the web, since it is the apex predator. Somtimes the spider would leave it's web and hunt apes.

Maybe there could be an alternate Spiture that doesn't have webs but just sneaks around in the tall grass hunting apes? It'd have a more jumping-spider look rather than the black widow look. This particular Spiture I've drawn in the above post was meant to be sedentary, tho. I might try drawing up some Jumping-Spiture designs later~