Stray Fawn Community

Is Derp Snout Overpowered?

Currently, derp snout is the most dominant head gene, with +2 smelling and +1 distasteful appearance. I feel this is overpowered, and devalues short snout, which only has +2 smelling. While it is true that other head genes like big nose and cracker jaw are also more useful than short snout, with +3 smelling and +2 smelling and cracking, they are also more difficult to obtain, and can only be unlocked in the mutation menu after certain requirements are met. I think this is fair, but derp snout has no such requirements, meaning it is available from the beginning and can be used instead of short snout with no penalties. Since derp snout is supposed to be an unwanted gene, I think it should have a disadvantage that is not just cosmetic.

My preference is that it offers just +1 distasteful appearance and no smelling, but I would like to know what everybody else thinks.

I believe it's that way to be intentionally annoying, especially since the all rogue males have the derp snout gene. Although I believe the only penalty is that it's ugly and not many (if anyone) likes to use it, lol.

• Like 5

RESPECT DERPSNOUTS XD #derpsnoutsmatter

I never thought about the smelling bonus on derpsnout to be honest. I don't mind. In my opinion it doesn't need to be debuffed or if it is debuffed let it have at least +1 smelling, would be odd to have no smelling at all, especially considering how rogue males would survive with no smelling (it is a wonder that they survive at all how it is currently ^^ )

• Like 5

I agree with @Dinocanid in that it is supposed to be annoying and that the penalty is that it is “ugly.” I personally like the derp snout, so it’s not so much of a problem for me, but I have read a lot of comments on the hate of derp snouts. For those who dislike derp snouts, the game teaches them that stats for survival are more important to focus on than appearance.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/8/2018 at 5:16 AM, ChasingNyx said:

Personally, don't like derpsnout and will never use it unless in dire situations. Plus, with that decently big nose on it, how would it not smell?

Gills, saber tooth fangs and purr snout have big noses, and they have no smelling, so I assume the reason for this was to balance out their already powerful +2 underwater breathing, +2 strength and +1 purring. Even if derp snout had just +1 distasteful appearance like I suggested, it would still be useful, but probably not enough to justify removing smelling.

4 hours ago, Ancestor Nature said:

Gills, saber tooth fangs and purr snout have big noses, and they have no smelling, so I assume the reason for this was to balance out their already powerful underwater breathing, +2 strength and +1 healing purr. Even if derp snout had just +1 distasteful appearance like I suggested, it would still be useful, but probably not enough to justify removing smelling.

Sabretooth and Purr snout actually both have +2 smelling as well :)

• Like 4

On 6/7/2018 at 1:21 AM, Dinocanid said:

I believe it's that way to be intentionally annoying, especially since the all rogue males have the derp snout gene. Although I believe the only penalty is that it's ugly and not many (if anyone) likes to use it, lol.

The gene being the most dominant and those creatures not getting eaten seems a debuff in and of itself. But then you have things like poison berry bushes.

Imagine if all rogue males had poison resistence and so do their children. That would be an interesting game of penalty or no penalty....