Stray Fawn Community

Wandering babies not killed like normal babies

seahorsepie

In one of my very cruel tribes, which also happens to be my most succesful tribe, they kill all wanderers, including babies. One creature was attempting to kill a one gemmed wanderer had failed, it did not die in one hit unlike babies in the tribe do. Not sure if this bug happens in older versions but when I saw it happen, I was in 1.1.3.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jojo said:

Wandering babies also run around like the flash but as soon as you invite them in they only can move one tile.

Well thats fine, since any wandering creature is supposed to move as much as it wants as long as you are moving, and isn't constrained by the move limit that your own creatures have. I don't think that is an issue.

I do agree it might be more realistic for wandering babies to have the same defense as normal babies though, and end up dead after just being attacked once.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, glitchplight said:

Well thats fine, since any wandering creature is supposed to move as much as it wants as long as you are moving, and isn't constrained by the move limit that your own creatures have. I don't think that is an issue.

I do agree it might be more realistic for wandering babies to have the same defense as normal babies though, and end up dead after just being attacked once.

But it defies logic. Constraints placed on creatures depending on age and genes should be placed on all creatures, otherwhise it breaks immersion IMO

3 hours ago, Jojo said:

But it defies logic. Constraints placed on creatures depending on age and genes should be placed on all creatures, otherwhise it breaks immersion IMO

I can't see how the turn constraint could even be applied to wanderers, or should. They already have constraints, just as what their genes allow (like what they can eat, if they can breathe underwater, or if they can fly to trees, etc). Wanderers are allowed as many turns as a player takes in a day because they are as much as an outside force as other diurnal animals, like the rabbils, rogue males, walrus deer, blue birds, stagmoles, etc. and limiting them would make it much too easy to deal with them and otherwise pretty boring. 

This is why I agree that baby creatures should of course still be allowed to have constraints such as defense level, lack of ability to swim, lack of ability to fly, being unable to dig or pick berries, etc. I really do have to draw the line at constrained turns, since that is such a core aspect of Niche's gameplay with diurnal animals. It isn't necessary, and immersion isn't worth it in comparison to the other constraints I listed. 

18 hours ago, glitchplight said:

I can't see how the turn constraint could even be applied to wanderers, or should. They already have constraints, just as what their genes allow (like what they can eat, if they can breathe underwater, or if they can fly to trees, etc). Wanderers are allowed as many turns as a player takes in a day because they are as much as an outside force as other diurnal animals, like the rabbils, rogue males, walrus deer, blue birds, stagmoles, etc. and limiting them would make it much too easy to deal with them and otherwise pretty boring. 

This is why I agree that baby creatures should of course still be allowed to have constraints such as defense level, lack of ability to swim, lack of ability to fly, being unable to dig or pick berries, etc. I really do have to draw the line at constrained turns, since that is such a core aspect of Niche's gameplay with diurnal animals. It isn't necessary, and immersion isn't worth it in comparison to the other constraints I listed. 

That brings up another point I am sometimes annoyed by creatures with double no paw never starve. No wanderer starves or is eaten by a meat eating plant (not sure if they changed that yet).

I also didn't mean that wanderers should only have three energy points. I can see how that would be hard to implement. I simply meant that they should move according to their speed stat, so babies should only move on tile when you make a move and not shoot across the island like flash.

Are wandering babies eaten by the bluebird yet? If not that should be added as well.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jojo said:

That brings up another point I am sometimes annoyed by creatures with double no paw never starve. No wanderer starves or is eaten by a meat eating plant (not sure if they changed that yet).

I also didn't mean that wanderers should only have three energy points. I can see how that would be hard to implement. I simply meant that they should move according to their speed stat, so babies should only move on tile when you make a move and not shoot across the island like flash.

Are wandering babies eaten by the bluebird yet? If not that should be added as well.

Oh ok that makes a lot more sense. Yeah I agree on that part considering they can age, and are affected by other hazards (like enemies, or coconuts), it is weird they aren't affected by the meat eating plants. The idea of the wanderer's starving might also be hard to implement because that may require having seperate food counts implemented for each wanderer who has spawned or creature banished from the pack, which might be a bit too much overhead. But I do see why you would want that.

• Like 2