Stray Fawn Community

Weak and deaf ears

Lilytuft

I've seen people suggest inner ears, but never deaf ears. These would be in the ear slot and be auto-unlocked.

Weak ears would give 1 hearing and deaf ears would give... maybe a boost on some other sense?

For desings, I think the weak ears would look like normal ears but be pointing at different directions, because the nicheling is trying to hear better. For deaf ears - having one of them be a bit floppy would just simply be adorable (and also it would help to tell them apart them from medium ears)!

image.png.e9021a247ea2cc8657b459735b23d891.png

And before anyone comments about how this has been suggested already, I made this back in 2018 but the stats didn't make any sense so I'm editing them.

Here are the old desings:image.png.037c5613f679332756e133c8f97b0db2.png

Edited by Morso
Edited literally everything
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

17 replies to this post

1 hour ago, Pokestardragacraft said:

Smaller ears = harder to see is what I think they’re going for

Oh alright I see. I doubt that is a good idea since realistically, animals with upright ears are capable of moving them flatter against their head when hiding or stalking prey, and ear size in general certainly don't have that much of an effect on whether an animal can be spotted in general. Personally, I don't like the camoflauge idea, especially since deafness doesn't correlate to ear size in biology.

However, I am alright with it working the same way as eyesight and blindness does, where they are just negative effects without a tradeoff. If there was a tradeoff though, I would like it if their other senses were stronger to make up for the one they lack, since that is something that DOES happen with lots of people and animals!

• Like 2

I agree that it would much sense for them to give camouflage but the deaf ears or weak ears could also maybe be tied in with another feature (apart from giving other senses a buff). You see pulled back ears or flattened ears are often a sign of aggressiveness, that's why some cat breeds with flat ears have trouble staying out of fights because they look aggressive to other cats. So maybe we could have an aggressiveness feature similar in effect either to strong voice or distasteful appearance that would scare away hostile creatures and or wanderers.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, glitchplight said:

Oh alright I see. I doubt that is a good idea since realistically, animals with upright ears are capable of moving them flatter against their head when hiding or stalking prey, and ear size in general certainly don't have that much of an effect on whether an animal can be spotted in general. Personally, I don't like the camoflauge idea, especially since deafness doesn't correlate to ear size in biology. 

However, I am alright with it working the same way as eyesight and blindness does, where they are just negative effects without a tradeoff. If there was a tradeoff though, I would like it if their other senses were stronger to make up for the one they lack, since that is something that DOES happen with lots of people and animals! 

I was thinking of that, but I was too tired to think about wich sense would be better, so I just went with the camoflauge. I would very much apreciate if you could help me decide!

if your nicheling had blind eyes and deaf ears you would get eye sight from being deaf and hearing from being blind

thats probally why the devs haven't put this in the game

16 hours ago, Zixvir said:

if your nicheling had blind eyes and deaf ears you would get eye sight from being deaf and hearing from being blind

thats probally why the devs haven't put this in the game

They'd just get the smelling boost in that case. This doesn't have enough votes to be added in anyways

25 minutes ago, SkipTheMayonnaise said:

You may not have seen it, but I did vote for deaf ears awhile ago, but I don't mind you using the idea! Below: Picture of a deaf nicheling

Cuter then the last one.PNG

This was suggested a bit less than a year before you suggested it, actually :)