Stray Fawn Community

Miscarriages?

IncarnationOfBoredom

I thought it'd be cool that if you have low fertility your nichelings can have miscarriages. Maybe you could also have miscarriages with immunity issues as well like how in real life incest can lead to miscarriages. Although I'm thinking it should be a rare occurrence, as to not annoy some players.

Please don't forget to upvote this if you like the idea, I'm pretty new to the community.

• Like 4

13 replies to this post

I can't support this idea, not with how sometimes I'm breeding frantically trying to get a pair of offspring that will match up immunity wise. I'd rather it be an option you can turn on or off if it was implemented, because it would really make it feel kinda sucky if I'm on the last few days of a creature's life, and end up losing the children to miscarriages.

I like this idea but I think you should be able to toggle it (for example with the more sandbox options post). I always want more challenge and I feel this would make the game more realistic :)

• Like 3

How would finding a nest faster affect it? Would it be something like the baby nicheling is lost if you don't reach a nest in a certain amount of turns?

I mean, half of my current technique relies on them being able to hold it lol.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dinocanid said:

How would finding a nest faster affect it? Would it be something like the baby nicheling is lost if you don't reach a nest in a certain amount of turns?

Another idea, if you start on one of the harder islands, then miscarriages are possible, but if you start on an easier island then it won't be enabled

I think this is already adequately represented by the fertility genes.  An unsuccessful mating might be because there weren't enough gametes, or it might be because the zygote/embryo/fetus wasn't viable, or because the mother was unable to sustain it.

Perhaps there's some reason to miscarry if the pregnant mother takes damage, but it's not something I'm excited to see added.

• Like 1

I can't support this either. Not due to lack of realism or anything like that, but I don't quite understand why this is needed. We already have low to infertility to reduce the chances of pregnancy. I don't really get why a game about breeding would need an extra nerf when one exists as it is.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2018 at 4:46 PM, Dinocanid said:

I was thinking that everyday a random chance is rolled of a miscarriage, and thus if you wait a long time it's more likely to happen.

I had thought the gene with the x through it could be for fertility could be a miscarriage gene, so the mother would get pregnant but chance of loosing it, the 1 fertility could take the place of the x so mating is harder in general. 

Mothers do have health issues due to this but not always, so a baby skeleton could be in the nest for 2 days as a problem for the pack instead of just the mom

Maybe there would be a chance of a miscarriage only if a female sustains damage that same turn, I don't know about having a time limit to a pregnancy because I know some animals can stop the development of their offspring if the current conditions aren't ideal.

Maybe instead if a female is pregnant there can be an option to forcefully miscarry at will and perhaps she wouldn't take  damage as a cost but maybe she wouldn't be able to breed for a certain amount of days or all of her gems don't recover next turn due the stress she underwent.

• Like 1