Stray Fawn Community

Swiss German and German

Jojo

This is just a completly random thought that popped into my head recently and is mainly directed towards the devs though any other swiss person is welcome to comment of course ^^

I know for a German (like myself) I have to concentrate really hard to understand Swiss German (Schweitzer Deutsch wie man so schön sagt ^^) and I wondered is it the other way around the same? Do Swiss people have to concentrate to understand us (Germans)? Or is it easy for you? :D

I know austrians are easier to understand though of course not always ^^

• Like 1

Almost all of our entertainment in german is "Standardsprache" or "high-german", and in school we mostly have to talk in "hochdeutsch", so it's completely normal for us so understand that. But if it goes more into dialect, for example "bayerisch" or maybe some north-german-dialects, we also have trouble to understand them :) Just like we have sometimes trouble to understand other swiss-dialects (wallis especially :D )

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Markus said:

Almost all of our entertainment in german is "Standardsprache" or "high-german", and in school we mostly have to talk in "hochdeutsch", so it's completely normal for us so understand that. But if it goes more into dialect, for example "bayerisch" or maybe some north-german-dialects, we also have trouble to understand them :) Just like we have sometimes trouble to understand other swiss-dialects (wallis especially :D )

Thanks for the answer :D Never knew about that, good to know. I have trouble understand 'bayerisch' as well and I guess northern accents to though I have not heard them speak as much. And don't even get me started on Kölsch (and I live near Cologne ^^)

• Like 2

• 3 years later...